VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 22nd, 2007 #1
-JC
Doesn't suffer fools well

Default Solid, basic battle weapon advice

I know, I know, he doesn't have the racial part right but I'll bet he did spend a lot of time keeping his M-16 clean and praying it would function.

http://www.colddeadhands.addr.com/ta...ndiv/indiv.htm

Old June 4th, 2007 #2
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

I'm comfortable with my AK.

Old June 5th, 2007 #3
T.J. McAllister

That guy's full of shit. Mini-14 better than the AR-15? Yeah, right.

Old June 8th, 2007 #4
Ovidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reusser View Post
That guy's full of shit. Mini-14 better than the AR-15? Yeah, right.
uhhhhhh yeah it is

BY THE WAY for any patriot! BUY AN AK 47!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR AN M-14 PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old June 8th, 2007 #5
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

A good solid scoped .308 or 30-06 will work just fine for me.

Old June 8th, 2007 #6
Ovidio

.308 is an m14 so we agree. an ak -47 is almost the same. so i rule!!

Old June 10th, 2007 #7
T.J. McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincere View Post
uhhhhhh yeah it is

BY THE WAY for any patriot! BUY AN AK 47!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR AN M-14 PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Mini-14:

-Thin barrel heats up way too much after 4-5 shots and the groups open wide
-Factory mags are ridiculously expensive
-Harder to mount a scope
-No muzzle device (except on the rare 'GB' model)
-Sights are not as good as those found on the AR
-Magazine changes are a pain (even more of a bitch than the AK!)

They are not bad weapons, but for the money there are much better choices, such as the AK.

Old June 10th, 2007 #8
Sean Martin

There are a lot of posts missing off this thread. I made several and don’t see a single one of them, what gives?

Old June 11th, 2007 #9
Magnus Danarson

Default If you are looking at ARs

I have both ARs and a Mini-14. I like them both, but the Mini-14s have come up so much in price recently, that I just don't see the value in it. As was said before, the factory mags are very expensive (20 rounders go for close to $50/each if you can find them). Although I haven't had a problem with aftermarket mags, I have read many people say they have had problems with them feeding reliably.

If your looking for an AR, take a look at Olympic Arms. They are very reasonably priced, and have a lifetime warranty. I have a couple and I am very impressed with the quality. Another nice thing is that parts are interchangeable between brands on ARs, and it is easy to pick up spare complete lowers and different types of uppers.

If you want a no frills inexpensive, quality AR-15 that is priced similar to some AKs, take a look at the Olympic Arms plinker plus models:

http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=bro...&ids=plinker-s

I have owned SKS's for a while, and feel that they are very reliable. It is easy to have 1,000s of rounds ready to go since they use inexpensive stripper clips instead of mags. They have been very reliable and fun shooters and I think they are an excellent value. The current ones on the market are Yugos, and I don't like the integrated grenade launcher and the fact that the barrels are not chrome lined, like older imports. I think ones that are in good shape go for around $150.

If you want to spend close to the same price as a BB gun, look at the Mosin Nagants (M44 Carbines). These are bolt actions that are excellent guns, can easily be found in excellent quality for around $80. They fire 7.62x54, which is just about as powerful as .30-06 and .308 (which is in an entirely different league than 7.62x39). Surplus ammo for these are readily available and cheap. I think you can pick up sealed cans of 880 rounds for about $70 (they shoot the light ball ammo much better than the heavy ball). I have a couple and think they are the best value out there right now.

Obviously AKs are good values. I haven't brought myself to pick one up, because I just can't justify stocking yet another caliber. I have often been tempted to pick one up on price alone - but so far I have resisted temptation. A lot of AKs that I come across just look like they are cheaply made (mostly the receivers) - which amazes me something that looks like that can be so reliable.

I wouldn't want to steer you in any particular direction, but I can tell you that I have never had a feeding problem on my AR - so I wouldn't necessarily discount them for poor reliability, because I think that is an aspect that is overhyped and not entirely true.... I feel it is a tradeoff between tighter tolerances-higher accuracy-slightly lower reliability vs looser tolerances-poorer accuracy-higher reliability.

Let us know what you decide to get!

Old June 11th, 2007 #10
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Danarson View Post
I have both ARs and a Mini-14. I like them both, but the Mini-14s have come up so much in price recently, that I just don't see the value in it. As was said before, the factory mags are very expensive (20 rounders go for close to $50/each if you can find them). Although I haven't had a problem with aftermarket mags, I have read many people say they have had problems with them feeding reliably.

If your looking for an AR, take a look at Olympic Arms. They are very reasonably priced, and have a lifetime warranty. I have a couple and I am very impressed with the quality. Another nice thing is that parts are interchangeable between brands on ARs, and it is easy to pick up spare complete lowers and different types of uppers.

If you want a no frills inexpensive, quality AR-15 that is priced similar to some AKs, take a look at the Olympic Arms plinker plus models:

http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=bro...&ids=plinker-s

I have owned SKS's for a while, and feel that they are very reliable. It is easy to have 1,000s of rounds ready to go since they use inexpensive stripper clips instead of mags. They have been very reliable and fun shooters and I think they are an excellent value. The current ones on the market are Yugos, and I don't like the integrated grenade launcher and the fact that the barrels are not chrome lined, like older imports. I think ones that are in good shape go for around $150.

If you want to spend close to the same price as a BB gun, look at the Mosin Nagants (M44 Carbines). These are bolt actions that are excellent guns, can easily be found in excellent quality for around $80. They fire 7.62x54, which is just about as powerful as .30-06 and .308 (which is in an entirely different league than 7.62x39). Surplus ammo for these are readily available and cheap. I think you can pick up sealed cans of 880 rounds for about $70 (they shoot the light ball ammo much better than the heavy ball). I have a couple and think they are the best value out there right now.

Obviously AKs are good values. I haven't brought myself to pick one up, because I just can't justify stocking yet another caliber. I have often been tempted to pick one up on price alone - but so far I have resisted temptation. A lot of AKs that I come across just look like they are cheaply made (mostly the receivers) - which amazes me something that looks like that can be so reliable.

I wouldn't want to steer you in any particular direction, but I can tell you that I have never had a feeding problem on my AR - so I wouldn't necessarily discount them for poor reliability, because I think that is an aspect that is overhyped and not entirely true.... I feel it is a tradeoff between tighter tolerances-higher accuracy-slightly lower reliability vs looser tolerances-poorer accuracy-higher reliability.

Let us know what you decide to get!
Magnus,

What SKS and/or AK brand would you recommend?

Old June 12th, 2007 #11
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

Those 'plinker' series ARs from Olympic Arms look pretty nifty. If I hadn't already sunk a decent amount of cash into my AK, I'd consider swapping over.

Old June 14th, 2007 #12
reactionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Magnus,

This one:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=321

It has a forged/milled receiver. All the best AK's do.

Old June 14th, 2007 #13
COTW
Overseer

Any thoughts or experience on the Springfield XD 45 LE Tactical pistol?

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old June 14th, 2007 #14
T.J. McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker oftheWhip View Post
Any thoughts or experience on the Springfield XD 45 LE Tactical pistol?
Don't waste your time with .45 GAP. Springfield makes a .45 ACP version that is virtually the same size. Life's too short to mess with oddball cartridges.

Old June 14th, 2007 #15
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionary View Post
This one:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=321

It has a forged/milled receiver. All the best AK's do.
Keerist! Thats a $849.00 weapon. Anything a little less pricey?

Old June 15th, 2007 #16
T.J. McAllister

The milled AK has virtually NO advantages over the stamped version. The weight of a milled reciever Kalashnikov is just too much for what they are (short-range carbine/submachine gun). Accuracy is usually similar amongst AKs. A notable exception would be the Russian VEPR (RPK reciever), but they are heavy.

Find a used Chinese or Hungarian AK, or a converted Russian Saiga carbine. It'd be all the AK you'd ever need.

Better yet, save your money and buy a quality AR-15 pattern rifle and configure it to your liking.

Old June 15th, 2007 #17
Granddragon36

Read BOSTON ON GUNS AND COURAGE 2nd ed (javelinpress.com) for a well reasoned and actually SHOT review of pretty much all WW I ww II and current battle/assault rifles.

Read the LMI Magazine (theindependentamerican.freeyellow.com) for all the survival/preparedness news fit to print. NO BS!!

Old June 19th, 2007 #18
T.Garrett
Banned

Default toys

a little selection ...

Old June 20th, 2007 #19
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

I went the AK route myself. This one started life as a simple Maadi.

Old June 21st, 2007 #20
Magnus Danarson

Default Best AK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Magnus,

I think the best AK on the market right now, for a reasonable price is this one:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Y...der_Rifle.html

The Yugo AK's are known for their better quality and fit and finish (fit and finish is what bugs me about the Romanian rifles). AIM is out of these right now, but are expecting more in. If you read about these rifles on the net, you will see that when the "Assault" weapon ban was in place, these Yugoslavian AK's were in high demand and people were paying well over $1,000 for them. I think this would be an excellent investment, besides just being a good AK to have.

That being said, for $100 less, you can get the cheaper Romanian AK that comes with an assortment of goodies. But I would save up for the Yugo underfolder...

Since the Yugo SKS's that are on the market now - aren't really the best versions that have been available - I would probably avoid it right now. The bolt action M44 Mosin Nagant, would be a better value - and a real good value at less than $100 (not to mention that 7.62x54R ammo is ridiculously cheap now as well).

I will put in another plug for Olympic Arms. If the plinker plus doesn't really do it for you, you can find a stripped lower receiver for about $100, and then buy one of their complete kits. Their carbine kits start at $449, and for $40 more you can get a stainless steel barrel (which is still blackened and not silver). The kits can be mailed, and the only assembly required is the lower. You can save some money on sales tax (although you have to pay some shipping, which is still a savings), and you can have a 16" M4 Carbine for $550-$600 depending on barrel choice and brand of lower.

Good luck in finding something. Let us know what you decide on...

-Magnus

Thread