VNN Broadcasts

Old November 4th, 2013 #1
Efendi

Default Maine Rep. Michael Michaud says he is Gay

Maine congressman declares he's gay: "But why should it matter?"

Quote:
By: Tal Kopan
November 4, 2013

Maine Rep. Michael Michaud came out as gay Monday, writing an op-ed in prominent state news outlets that his sexuality should not affect his bid to become governor.

Michaud made the disclosure in a column published in the Portland Press Herald and Bangor Daily News after he said “whisper campaigns” and “insinuations” arose during his gubernatorial campaign.

“Allow me to save them the trouble with a simple, honest answer: ‘Yes, I am. But why should it matter?’” Michaud wrote. “That may seem like a big announcement to some people. For me, it’s just a part of who I am, as much as being a third-generation millworker or a lifelong Mainer. One thing I do know is that it has nothing to do with my ability to lead the state of Maine.”

The Democratic congressman said he would not make his or his opponents’ personal lives part of the race and wrote about why his biography and credentials make him the best choice for governor.

Michaud becomes the seventh openly out member of the 113th Congress, and his news was welcomed almost immediately by one of his peers on Twitter.

“Congratulations to my colleague @RepMikeMichaud on coming out, living honestly; he becomes 7th openly #lgbt Representative now in House,” Jared Polis (D-Colo.) tweeted early Monday morning, continuing: “My #gaydar missed it, but happy to welcome @RepMikeMichaud to team #lgbt!”

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...289.html?hp=r7

Thread