Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 24th, 2012 #21
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

I've actually baked a chicken this way a couple of times and it turned out great.
If you don't have pears I suppose apples will do but the baked fruit is just a side you really don't need it at all.
And if you don't have the "really cool french thing" do what I did and use a 24oz beer can (punch some holes in the side). That'll work fine.

Old April 24th, 2012 #22
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ronsavelle View Post
I buy 'em at Costco for $5.00.
Yeah, I get those sometimes too. What I've noticed is the price has been going up and the bird is getting smaller, barely over cornish game hen now. These rotisserie chickens are normally $6.99 here, sometimes on sale for 5.99 or 4.99. They are very tasty, for sure. Walmart has then too for about the same.

Old April 24th, 2012 #23
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
I've actually baked a chicken this way a couple of times and it turned out great.
If you don't have pears I suppose apples will do but the baked fruit is just a side you really don't need it at all.
And if you don't have the "really cool french thing" do what I did and use a 24oz beer can (punch some holes in the side). That'll work fine.
Watch actor Christopher Walken roast a chicken - YouTube
Interesting. I've tried baking vegs in the chicken but didn't like the way it came out. Can also try 'Greek Chicken, chicken in big pan on/with cut up potatoes, but they don't cook the same and it's very easy to burn the potatoes.

I'd just throw in a few russets for baked potatoes, or make instant, which is good enough for my taste, or boil some cut up potatoes. Not really into baked fruit myself.

Old April 24th, 2012 #24
Alex Linder
Administrator

Note: you can cook wild turkey the same way as the chicken. I have not perfected cooking a huge wild turkey yet so I will merely describe what I did, which worked, rather than speeak from high to low, as the French say.

I cooked the 24-lber you can see here. I decided to cook it at 450 for two hours instead of one, and the oven was not preheated. The turkey came out quite well; if I had to do it again, I might try 15 minutes less cooking time, 1:45 from cold start.

It's easy to cook a turkey that is 2x chicken size, or about 8-10 lbs, but 24 lbs is another ballgame, it barely fit in my oven. Also, turkeys do not have commercially enhanced breasts, so it's easier to cook them dry, so you have to be careful. Leave the skin, throw some bacon on top. But fundamentally they can be cooked the same exact way as one-hour chicken.

Wild turkey tastes just the same as chicken or turkey from commercial producers; the only difference is that the meat is stronger. I don't know how else to put it. It's not gamier at all, it's not tougher in the sense that word is used to describe meat, it's just there's some springy strenth in the meat that you don't get in farm birds.

BTW, at least two of my relatives won't eat chickens or turkeys because they worked with them as teenagers, and found them exceptionally stupid and disgusting. Me? I love them.

Old April 24th, 2012 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

Forgot to say that in cooking the turkey, it wasn't the whole bird, the dark was removed and crocked. If you research on the internet, this is basically the only way to cook the drumsticks where they come out tasty and tender, they're just too tough otherwise. I ended up crocking the thighs, wings and drums, and from a huge bird, it totally filled the crock pot. Once the meat had boiled down, which took longer than I thought, I took out the bones and threw in some cut up potatoes and spices. This makes a very nice dish. Especially if you throw in a nice slice of cheese and maybe reheat it in microwave. I'm just now finishing up the crock meat after eating it for about four days, and little else. That's how much meat there is from a 24-lb bird. The breast meat on that thing was awesome - and all natural.

Old April 24th, 2012 #26
Alex Linder
Administrator

Rick makes the tactful, tacit and implicit point that I could just buy the done chicken, rotisserie chicken, for essentially the same price. So in that way it is more efficient than cooking it.

I find cooking has some spiritual value to it. I never cooked much until I lost my energy and couldn't do much else. I had never found cooking fun, precisely, and still don't, but what I do enjoy is experimenting, trying to find new and better ways to do something. It was the ssame as when I gardened potatoes, and played around with the conventional way of doing it, and managed to produce some softball-sized ones. These are miniature ways of exhibiting the traditional Aryan questing. Cooking some things is pleasurable. I like cooking whole chickens and cooking chili. It also helped preserve my calmness.

I try to keep learning new things. Only in the last two months did I learn how to make stock, and then from that stock, gravy. Pretty simple things. But I didn't know them. I just think on the whole it's better to be able to count on yourself to do as many things as possible, and cooking is one of them. It's not hard. It is useful and can be enjoyable. It offers a way to save money, and even time, and to engage your brain through experimentation with spices.

Old August 21st, 2012 #27
Alex Linder
Administrator

Big fan of tacos, but I make my own. Taco Bell's cost a dollar apiece and don't give you enough meat, altho they taste good. Taco shells are always a bit of a ripoff, but you can stock up when they're on sale. Cook your own beef, and just use cheese and tomatoes. Don't buy prepared seasoning mixes when it's easy to make your own. I made a modified version of this one, tasted great.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/homema...oseasonmix.htm

Old August 22nd, 2012 #28
Jimmy McQuade
Hrvatski Prijatelj

Some good tips here for the thrifty-minded VNNers.

Old November 1st, 2012 #29
M.N. Dalvez

If meat-eating has any kind of future in a world where there's less water, less room to farm... chicken is it. Duck is also good but it's a slower-growing beast - and they do at least require some standing water to splash around in.

Old December 6th, 2012 #30
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
If meat-eating has any kind of future in a world where there's less water, less room to farm... chicken is it. Duck is also good but it's a slower-growing beast - and they do at least require some standing water to splash around in.
Do you keep any chicken yourself over there in Australia?

A quick google gives this estimate:
Quote:
Table 2: Energy Efficiency of Various Foods (Measured as Food Calories / Energy Used in Production) [8]Food Calories / Lb Energy Efficiency
Corn 390 102%
Milk 291 45%
Cheese 1824 31%
Eggs 650 19%
Apples 216 15%
Chicken 573 15%
Pork 480 8.5%
Beef 1176 4.3%

http://truecostblog.com/2010/02/24/l...gy-efficiency/
... i.e two times as effective as raising pigs, with the benefit of also producing calories in the eggs. (Don't know if he has already adjusted for that? But with eggs in the list, it's possible that he has somehow.)

The number for beef is based on false premises though, and would, under sane conditions, be dead wrong, because under natural circumstances, with cows grazing as they should ( not boxed up in a factory farm cubicle fed corn and soy whilst ballooned up with Bovine growth hormone) - you don't only have a sustainable meat and milk machine fueled only by the sun through photosynthesis, but a creature that actually builds
Topsoil Topsoil
!

Ever wondered how it was that the vast North America a couple of hundred years ago were discovered to have meters deep of the best soil ever seen? It was thanks to the tens of millions big Buffalo stock found, and their predecessors, that had been working away; eating grass/shitting, eating grass/shitting, eating grass/shitting, in a very admirably methodical and disciplined fashion on the continent for countless millenia!

That golden soil is mostly gone now though, wasted away with careless agriculture, and that resorvoir of wealth, built up under hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of years is no more. What's left instead is a continental- and worldly- food supply that is maintained only with the heavy reliance on oil-based fertilizers. That's fitting for Amerikwa - but not for the white man. The environmentalists oughta get on-board our ship. 500 million quality people in a world where the diversity of animals and flora is respected instead of the die-worse-shitty feeding a habitat destroying, biologically superfluous African population in Africa and as invaders, that if left to the terms dictated by nature, would only have been one fiftieth of its currently ballooned up size.

Let's sing kumbaya for the re-population of the earth with a sane number of nature- and animal loving whites!

Old December 6th, 2012 #31
Jimmy Marr

After reading Serrano's Adolf Hitler: Ultimate Avatar last winter I decided, in addition to abstaining from intoxicants, to eat a more vegetable based diet.

I had been eating a low carb (high meat) diet for the previous ten years, and was concerned that I would gain weight if I went vegetarian. I haven't. In fact I think I've gotten leaner, if anything.

I also re-introduced bread to my diet, but found that premium, locally baked breads were quite expensive, so very recently I've begun to bake bread and find that I enjoy it.

I've only baked three times so far (six loaves). They've all been the same type (yeasted whole wheat).

I like doing it. It takes a lot of time at intervals between risings, but since I'm always around the house that's not a problem. The oven helps keep the house warm. The kneading isn't bad exercise; 600 strokes or twenty minutes.

The stuff tastes good. Very dense. I eat it with butter or olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Old February 12th, 2013 #32
Alex Linder
Administrator

Porko Northo - the high, hard style

That's what I call it. Now, the accepted way is to cook pork low and slow, as they say, and douse it, drown it, in marinades made of coke and other sugary sauces. After hours and hours and hours you have very soft flesh that is sweet and tasty.

I'm not so much into soppy sweet shit, I want something salty and quick. So I decided to apply my chicken style to pork. This is how I pork-roll.

1) wait till a big slab of pork is on sale for say 1.77/lb at Hy-Vee. Buy a big slab for about $13. Cut it into thirds, ziploc and freeze two you're not using.

2) take a baking dish, put some water in it, not a huge amount, but more than enough to cover the bottom. You want the piece standing in water, but only up to its knees.

3) turn on oven to 450. then salt and pepper pork all over, use thyme, rosemary or tarragon, whatever you like. salt and pepper are fine by themselves. sear the pork hard on both sides in cast-iron skillet. get it blacked up good.

4) put pork and any liquid in skillet in baking dish, throw a tin foil over it. if you like, you can peel and quarter some potatoes, and stick them in the pan with the pork. bake at 450 for 1.5 to 2 hours. the longer you leave it in, the drier it will be. maybe check it at 1:15 and see if it needs a little more water.

This will produce pork that is not soft and sweet as the Southern style, but is serer and saltier and soonerer.

Last edited by Alex Linder; February 12th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Old June 14th, 2015 #33
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate
Default 800° Celcius the ideal temperature for gas-grilling, using a ceramic spaceheater burner turned sideways. Warning! Not for empty stomachs:

Last edited by Samuel Toothgold; June 14th, 2015 at 03:26 AM.

Old June 14th, 2015 #34
N.B. Forrest

I bought a cheap pressure cooker a couple of weeks ago: tried to make pot roast with a London Broil that was on sale, potatoes, carrots & onion - but due to the overheating cutoff, the goddam hot plate won't stay on long enough to bring the steam up to the proper level (my old stove went toes-up years ago)....

I'm considering getting a propane camp stove sort of thing and using the pressure cooker on my concrete porch, although I don't know how efficient that would be....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old June 15th, 2015 #35
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Gas is very efficient. You won't have any problems getting pressure and it'll happen quicker than with a hotplate.

Old June 15th, 2015 #36
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
I bought a cheap pressure cooker a couple of weeks ago: tried to make pot roast with a London Broil that was on sale, potatoes, carrots & onion - but due to the overheating cutoff, the goddam hot plate won't stay on long enough to bring the steam up to the proper level (my old stove went toes-up years ago)....

I'm considering getting a propane camp stove sort of thing and using the pressure cooker on my concrete porch, although I don't know how efficient that would be....
I assume by "efficient" you're referring to the cost of propane. I'm not sure my guess is those little green bottles made by Coleman not be as cost effective as the more standard refillable white propane tanks. I'm not sure about the btu delivery on the Coleman burners either. I was able to heat coffee water on one when I was camping in Leith, and re-heat some grub I had cooked at home, but I don't think I'd want to be using it to power a pressure cooker on a routine basis. Btu would be marginal (slow) and the physical stability of the thing leaves much to be desired. I'd be worried about it tipping over if accidentally bumped.

Here's a link to a burner I use outdoors when I want to bring stuff to a quick boil, and that, incidentally is something you'll need to do with a pressure cooker. They don't take much in the way of btus once they're sealed off, but it's best to bring them up fast and then back the heat off.

Amazon.com : Camp Chef SH-140L High Pressure Single Burner Cooker with Detachable legs and Clover Leaf Surface, Black : Camping Stoves : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Camp Chef SH-140L High Pressure Single Burner Cooker with Detachable legs and Clover Leaf Surface, Black : Camping Stoves : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old June 15th, 2015 #37
N.B. Forrest

Thanks, Jimmy. That looks like just the ticket.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old June 15th, 2015 #38
Squarehead Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Thanks, Jimmy. That looks like just the ticket.
My Brother has a double one of those he uses to cook his beer recipes, so I can say first hand that those things really crank out the BTU's, no shit.

Old June 16th, 2015 #39
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Default Try this beer can chicken recipe. You can either get this fixture through the internet or improvise your own. Don't forget to add a coal briquette to you lava stones:

Old June 16th, 2015 #40
Squarehead Chris

I've seen that same sort of recipe Sam.
Take a 24 oz. can of beer and then pour out about a third of it and punch holes around the top.
Take your chicken and rub paprika and salt into it and stand it up with the 2/3rds beer can up it's cavity and roast it in the oven as normal.
I've never tried it, but it sounds good.

I had a high quality convection oven at a house I once lived in.
Convection ovens roast meat better than anything I've ever come across, no shit.

Thread