Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 3rd, 2004 #1
FranzJoseph

Default Insomnia

Has anyone heard of any folk remedies for insomnia? In my rounds today I've asked several people and gotten surprising results. My impression is that a lot of people are having a rotten time falling asleep. There were more than a couple of pharmaceutical remedies which I rejected, but some of the others are interesting:

1. Peanut butter. A few teaspoons a half hour before bedtime. Said to be unusually effective.

2. Banana yogurt. (Or maybe a banana with yogurt, I was a bit rushed when I heard this one). The banana contains loads of tryptophan which is a natural sleep-inducer, and the yogurt just relaxes the tummy.

3. Hot cocoa. Sounds odd to me because any kind of chocolate is supposed to contain at least some caffeine. But one fellow swore it grogged him out enough to put him to sleep, and he drinks a cup every night.

4. Slices of turkey or chicken sandwich meat. Same as the banana, above. Contains even more tryptophan.

5. Honey in milk or tea, especially in chamomile tea. Honey is loaded with sugars which should stimulate, however, the lady said it knocked her out. Chamomile is a type of ragweed; make sure you have no allergies or you'll be miserable drinking tea made with it.

6. Smoke a little bit of Mother Nature. Okay, marijuana has not been approved by the FDA as a cure for insomnia, but I know one old hippie who says it gets the job done. A couple tokes at bedtime does it. And if you're a snooping narc, I am not advocating disobeying any laws, I'm just repeating what I heard.

OKAY! Any others? According to a Canuck researcher, more traffic accidents in the USA are caused by sleepy drivers than by drunk drivers which seems pretty logical in a country full of caffeine-addled shift workers. If you know any good ones, give!

We might cure insomnia and save a life. Just a thought.

Old January 3rd, 2004 #2
SMG3000
Wants Closer Ties to Iran

Well, if you can find a place where you won't disturb anyone, I have always found that reading aloud for a few hours gets rid of restlessness. It works for me.

Another trick is an exercise or two which use lots of major muscle groups.

Old January 3rd, 2004 #3
Georgie

Reading can be good. Try to wear out some of that energy during the day so you can fall asleep at night. Or atleast try not to sleep during the day so you get nice and tired by night.

Old January 3rd, 2004 #4
Gott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie
Reading can be good. Try to wear out some of that energy during the day so you can fall asleep at night. Or atleast try not to sleep during the day so you get nice and tired by night.
Hey Georgie, you are in college right? What are you majoring in?

Old January 3rd, 2004 #5
Georgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gott
Hey Georgie, you are in college right? What are you majoring in?

Getting a Bachelors degree in Computer Science

Old January 3rd, 2004 #6
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

stay the hell of this message board before bed! it riles one up.

little bit of the old horizontal tango with one's lovely bride does well too-

Old January 4th, 2004 #7
FranzJoseph

Good suggestions! My thanks to all.

Old January 4th, 2004 #8
wolfgar

Melatonin, you can get it anywhere and it works great.

Old January 6th, 2004 #9
Draco
Rational Realistic Racist

Dont use your bed to study or watch TV. Make sure you get plenty of exercise and sex. Oh yeah, figure out your sleep cycle.....say you sleep about 11pm-8am on weekdays, but suddenly wake up at noon on Saturday and Sunday, youre going to have problems getting back to sleep Sunday night. Insomnia blows, I know. If youre really desperate, Ambien will knock you out in about 20 minutes, the newest prescription drugs are pretty good, though Ive only used Ambien twice in my life.

Currently 87% Sun, 13% Lightning.

Old January 7th, 2004 #10
barbiefucker

I do not understand insomnia. If I did not need to sleep at all that would not be a problem.

And of course you just go to sleep at the point you feel you are overly tired to do anything.

Sex has a stimulating effect on females but a relaxing effect on males.

Old January 12th, 2004 #11
Magog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgar
Melatonin, you can get it anywhere and it works great.

yep this is the best. Also that valeriana root is good too.

Thread