Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 16th, 2011 #1821
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Discipline Record of Steele's Lawyer

The first is a public censure and ethics class for cheating a client and the second is a disbarrment for stealing $100,000 from a client. It looks like the Steele camp was scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one.
========
http://coloradosupremecourt.com/Sear...p?Regnum=10350

Attorney Disciplinary & Disability History
MCALLISTER, ROBERT T Registration # : 10350

Hearing Information:
PDJ Trial # Final Order Final Disposition Probation Ordered Stayed Decision

Sup Ct Case # Effective Date
04PDJ103 11/29/2004 PUBC 11/29/2004
11PDJ048 6/8/2011 DISB 7/8/2011

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; June 17th, 2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old June 17th, 2011 #1822
notmenomore
Senior Member
 
notmenomore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,175
notmenomore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
The first is a public censure and ethics class for cheating a client and the second is a disbarrment for stealing $100,000 from a client. It looks like the Steele camp was scrapping the bottom of the barrel with this one.
========
WOW. I guess they must (somehow) have thought that since the bum had been a Deputy US Attorney at one time that he must have been honest.. I'm all but certain he must have told them he was honest.
__________________
No way out but through the jews.
 
Old June 17th, 2011 #1823
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Smile Silly You

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmenomore View Post
WOW. I guess they must (somehow) have thought that since the bum had been a Deputy US Attorney at one time that he must have been honest.. I'm all but certain he must have told them he was honest.
Silly you! Don't you know that the expression "honest lawyer" is a contradiction in terms?

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; June 17th, 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old June 18th, 2011 #1824
John Liberty
Senior Member
 
John Liberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 700
John Liberty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Liberty
you can see the same posters that were commenting on Edgar's frame up, are the one's that were banned, while the non white proZOG-heebs like "mikehalis" and "hadding" (who was banned by Linder for trolling over here) are still allowed to post on SF after taking the Fed's side. The evidence is overwhelming, the kosher mod-squad also have a network of pro-heeb posters who chime in when the jew bashing starts to get out of control on one of the threads.
If the shoe fits, , I stand by this one asshole.


Quote:
You never did answer me about whether you ever had an interest in black helicopters or chemtrails. As I said, your name screams patriotard. by hadding
Not interested in your standard ops "conspiracy theory" angles lurker, that's just bullshit to mislead the discussion into down some "ZOG rabbit hole".

I don't think anyone needs to be told who the bad guys are here. Pretty obvious no matter what side your on, I just pity you Sunstein shills who have to constantly support the ZOG argument.

 
Old June 18th, 2011 #1825
John Liberty
Senior Member
 
John Liberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 700
John Liberty
Default

Quote:
Don't you know that the expression "honest lawyer" is a contradiction in terms?
Still like to beat on Ed, even after he has said the government case is bullshit. You and hadding shouldn't make it so obvious, try and play it up a little more. Remember, this is the one lawyer that stood up in a hopeless cause and defended the Aryan Nation against the ZOG/SPLC.
 
Old June 18th, 2011 #1826
Hadding
Senior Member
 
Hadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,247
Hadding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Liberty View Post
If the shoe fits, , I stand by this one asshole.




Not interested in your standard ops "conspiracy theory" angles lurker, that's just bullshit to mislead the discussion into down some "ZOG rabbit hole".

I don't think anyone needs to be told who the bad guys are here. Pretty obvious no matter what side your on, I just pity you Sunstein shills who have to constantly support the ZOG argument.
Aha.... Listen to Covington much? Even before you mentioned Cass Sunstein I was thinking that your rap sounded familiar.

Last edited by Hadding; June 18th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
 
Old June 18th, 2011 #1827
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Another Theft Charge for McAllister

The Colorado Supreme Court missed its bet. They could have gotten McAllister for stealing $120,000 from Steele supporters and putting on a defense that would have shamed a first year law student.
 
Old June 18th, 2011 #1828
Hadding
Senior Member
 
Hadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,247
Hadding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
The Colorado Supreme Court missed its bet. They could have gotten McAllister for stealing $120,000 from Steele supporters and putting on a defense that would have shamed a first year law student.
Please summarize what could have been done by the attorneys to help the defense to succeed while still using the "Mission Impossible" argument that was required.
 
Old June 19th, 2011 #1829
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Shyster Robs the Steele Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadding View Post
Please summarize what could have been done by the attorneys to help the defense to succeed while still using the "Mission Impossible" argument that was required.
I think the main thing that convinced the jury that the recordings were genuine was the complaint by Steele's daughter Kelsey that she heard a train whistle on the recordings that shouldn't have been there. The prosecution promptly produced a schedule showing that several trains passed within a mile and a half of the ranch each day. One of them precisely matched the time of the whistle on the tape. The jury no doubt pegged Kelsey as a liar. There is no excuse for allowing Kelsey to testify as to that supposed discrepancy.

Another complaint about discrepancies on the recording was promptly refuted by the production of cell phone records by the government to corroborate the time of the event on the recordings.

Both of these matters were adequately disclosed in pretrial interviews. The defense had no business giving such bogus examples of discrepancies in the recording when they were sure to lose. It would have been far better to attack them based on the opinion of Cyndi and Kelsey that the voice on them was not Steele's. That could not be easily refuted.

The defense had known for a month that the testimony of their supposed audio expert Papcun was on again/off again. Then the fool takes off for a vacation in Bora Bora in the middle of the trial. When the judge allowed him to testify about the authenticity of the recording, the defense wanted time to fly him half way around the world for the trial. The jury must have gotten quite a kick out of that fiasco.

When Steele was shown to have cashed in about the same amount of silver rounds that Fairfax had supposedly stolen, the former's goose was cooked. This was known in pre-trial discovery. My main complaint is that the Mission Impossible defense was bogus and that McAllister should have refused to take $120,000 to conduct a defense that could not work .

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; June 19th, 2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo
 
Old June 19th, 2011 #1830
Hadding
Senior Member
 
Hadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,247
Hadding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
I think the main thing that convinced the jury that the recordings were genuine was the complaint by Steele's daughter Kelsey that she heard a train whistle on the recordings that shouldn't have been there. [...]
My main complaint is that the Mission Impossible defense was bogus and that McAllister should have refused to take $120,000 to conduct a defense that could not work .
I wonder how many attorneys Mrs. Steele contacted before she found some unscrupulous enough to tell her what she wanted to hear.

In reality any surveillance recording offered by the FBI, once it has been admitted as evidence, is going to be presumed authentic by the jury until proven otherwise. The defense must either prevent it from being admitted, or, failing that, demonstrate that it is a fraud (or that its content doesn't really prove the case). For the defense simply to avoid mistakes would not have been enough. They needed to pull a rabbit out of a hat, an expert testimony stating that the recording was definitely fraudulent and here's why. Sometimes that happens, but the Steeles' audio expert Papcun wasn't close to saying that.

I don't believe that any of those mistakes by the defense really made a difference. As you say, it was the Mission Impossible argument itself that was the problem.

Last edited by Hadding; June 20th, 2011 at 03:52 AM.
 
Old June 19th, 2011 #1831
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Spinmeisters at Work

Steele's website is finally dealing with one of the elephants in their living room. They fail to mention that this scum sucker was nearly disbarred in 2004 for cheating a female client and this information has been public knowledge since.
========
http://www.free-edgar-steele.com/?p=401#more-401

Our response to the disbarment of Robert McAllister
2011 June 18
by admin

Edgar Steele, his family, friends and supporters wish to express their serious disappointment and outrage – upon hearing of the disbarment of Mr. Steele’s attorney, Robert McAllister. They view this as a betrayal of their trust placed in him and is unconscionable that he failed to disqualify himself before he put Mr. Steele at risk of conviction on false charges.

After several months of “representation” by Federal Public Defender Roger Peven, those close to Mr. Steele’s case came to realize Mr. Peven’s efforts were marginal at best, as he was simply trying to make Mr. Steele take a plea bargain and had no intention of defending him from the fraudulent charges. The observation was that his so-called “representation” was fraught with procrastination, even inattentiveness. A sad irony exists that after Peven was off the case, he found himself in the limelight of negative publicity for an alcohol problem and for doing the same thing to others.

When Mr. McAllister’s name came forward with positive recommendations, many found new optimism that an aggressive offense on the false charges would be mounted to defend and then free Mr. Steele.

Observers of McAllister’s performance at trial in Boise naturally had justifiable questions and criticism of defense opportunities that were passed by – he simply failed to ask the hard questions as if he was distracted by something else so that he could not properly perform as Mr. Steele’s attorney.

Cyndi Steele and her family wish to go on record, saying they were completely unaware of any impropriety in Mr. McAllister’s personal or professional dealings outside of his representing Edgar Steele. In fact, they were caught off guard and surprised when news of disbarment was announced.

Mr. Steele is now represented by Mr. Wesley Hoyt, attorney practicing in Colorado and Idaho. Mr. Hoyt has extensive defense experience with Idaho businessman David Hinkson, who is currently imprisoned as a result of similar governmental/judicial frame-up and railroading and hopes to use that experience to point out the errors and misconduct that caused the conviction of Mr. Steele.
 
Old June 19th, 2011 #1832
Hadding
Senior Member
 
Hadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,247
Hadding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
... the errors and misconduct that caused the conviction of Mr. Steele.
FES is still not coming to grips with reality. It wasn't because the defense used a far-fetched argument with no supporting evidence: oh no, it was "errors and misconduct."

Last edited by Hadding; June 20th, 2011 at 03:55 AM.
 
Old June 19th, 2011 #1833
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,752
Default

Considering how fundamentally weak the Federal case was, it ought to have been easy to defend Steele. Instead, like Hadding aptly points out, the defence was lacking in supporting evidence, not to mention the entire effort was essentially flawed as there was little organization on Steele's attorney's part. He was also a very shifty character with dubious background.
 
Old June 20th, 2011 #1834
elbwgreez
Senior Member
 
elbwgreez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,506
elbwgreez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas de Aynesworth View Post
Considering how fundamentally weak the Federal case was, it ought to have been easy to defend Steele. Instead, like Hadding aptly points out, the defence was lacking in supporting evidence, not to mention the entire effort was essentially flawed as there was little organization on Steele's attorney's part. He was also a very shifty character with dubious background.
I've drawn by conclusions as have most of us. It's sad and pathetic that Steele, the practically non-partisan, finds himself suffering a similar fate as Matt Hale, whom he also failed. Hale at least stood for something.
 
Old June 20th, 2011 #1835
-JC
Doesn't suffer fools well
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,740
-JC
Default So you're saying Steele stood for nothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbwgreez View Post
I've drawn by conclusions as have most of us. It's sad and pathetic that Steele, the practically non-partisan, finds himself suffering a similar fate as Matt Hale, whom he also failed. Hale at least stood for something.
Things that stand out in my memory include his flirting with Russia as an ironic alternative place to live considering what was and is happening in America. I've heard that David Duke has spent a good deal of time in Russia and considered it a good marketplace for his ideas considering their relatively recent experience with the usual suspects.

No doubt, based on his writings, Steele was sympathetic to what has happened to so many of Russia's young women, not unlike what happened to Germany's young women on the verge of starvation during the post-WW2 occupation.

Steele avocated silver, early on, as a defense against the arguable financial terrorism that has been and is such an effective strategy for world domination: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F1fsBiwJ2qs

Whatever one thinks for his mental state past and present, his religious preferences-- and make no mistake that I think a Seventh-day Adventist upbringing is terribly destructive-- not to mention his alleged moral lapses that have not been proven to my satisfaction. The sincere among us would do well to stick to what we know and admit what we don't know, which is not easy.

I keep coming back to an essential motive for disgracing him and terrorizing others by putting him away: He planted seed the powers that be want Holocausted-- wiped from the collective memory of his followers as the rantings of a disgusting, deranged, would-be wife murderer, taken with the fantasy of a tart so shallow that she probably jwas ust after a ticket to America if she sold him out so cheaply. His insightful rant about the value of expeiencing life at least of a season without testosterone comes to mind. Whatever else the man may be, I'm not going to dismiss him much less what he taught quite that easily.

I remember meeting Ingri (and Don) at a journalism seminar in Las Vegas, 16 or so years ago, and liking them very much personally though not necessarily their apparently more liberal-libertarian bent. I'm not sure I'd get along with Ed Steele personally-- strong personalities and all that-- but was quite taken by what he wrote. Especially since he is a kookie religiousity survivor his interest taoist philosopy withstanding.

And I can't help being suspicious, regardless of the sophistication of arguments here, of those with so much energy on putting the man away into outer darkness even if he's guilty of having become an old fool due to organic brain dysfunction. It seems fitting instead to pay attention to the essence of what he would want (have wanted) for us to recall. Remember that what relatively little man Winston Smith's tormentor needed was for him to recant what he knew, even that + 2 = 4, before he was released from prison-- temporarily-- then insignificant and soon forgotten, and only then quietly rearrested and blown up the crematorium chimney.

http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/

Last edited by -JC; June 21st, 2011 at 07:13 AM.
 
Old June 20th, 2011 #1836
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Scumbag Fairfax Got Kid Gloves Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas de Aynesworth View Post
Considering how fundamentally weak the Federal case was, it ought to have been easy to defend Steele. Instead, like Hadding aptly points out, the defence was lacking in supporting evidence, not to mention the entire effort was essentially flawed as there was little organization on Steele's attorney's part. He was also a very shifty character with dubious background.
Steele's lawyer McAllister failed to totally discredit Fairfax as a liar and a thief. The latter planned to take money from Steele and then turn him into the FBI. He then failed to tell the FBI that his pipe bomb was still attached to Cyndi's truck. It was quite embarrassing when the oil change mechanic found it and the Idaho bomb squad got involved.

Fairfax's reputation in the community for stealing other people's timber and cheating his employees was never revealed to the jury as far as I know. Of course McAllister's reputation for stealing money from his clients wasn't much better. He stole $120,000 from the Steele camp and left him in far worse shape that if he had pled guilty.
 
Old June 20th, 2011 #1837
Hadding
Senior Member
 
Hadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,247
Hadding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JC View Post
He planted seed the powers that be want Holocausted--
What issue is it on which Ed Steele has posed such a threat?

The Jewish involvement in trafficking women is already so well known that the State of Israel has had the United Nations breathing down its neck about it.

Quote:
Last year, the United Nations named Israel as one of the main destinations in the world for trafficked women; it has also consistently appeared as an offender in the annual US State Department's Trafficking in Persons (Tip) report.

While this year's report said Israel was making "significant efforts" to eliminate trafficking, it said it still does not "fully comply with the minimum standards" to do so. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7070929.stm
The notion that anything Ed Steele could say would significantly add to the controversy is ridiculous. If anything, the Jews would just say, Aha! Here is the proof that this is an anti-Semitic canard because the Aryan Nations' lawyer Ed Steele is saying it! The message would be: Ed Steele = Aryan Nations = kook. And they could get away with that characterization, since if you surveyed 1000 Americans at random you would be lucky to find even one that has a vague idea of who Steele is.

I don't believe that it would even get to that level, though, because frankly Steele is boring and not likely to attract much attention. Assuming that Steele's book did contain something damaging, all the Jews would have to do to suppress the book would be to refrain from promoting it.

I understand that you have to grossly overstate Steele's influence in order to make the frame-up conspiracy-theory that has been parroted for the past year seem slightly credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JC
And I can't help being suspicious, regardless of the sophistication of arguments here, of those with so much energy on putting the man away into outer darkness even if he's guilty of having become an old fool due to organic brain dysfunction.
You might want to consider also that some of those promoting the frame-up conspiracy-theory may have had less-than-pure motives.

I think for some the motive has been simply that it is easier to tell people what they want to hear than to try to get them to heed reason. There is a segment of the WN public that thrives on stories of conspiracy and persecution. Perhaps it would reduce sales, donations, and listenership to buck the current by telling these people that they are wrong, especially since the consequence might be that these lunatics would denounce the one that tried to get them to reason. It's so much easier to go along with the crowd.

But consider this too: it is not in the interest of WN to take a violently antagonistic posture toward the government. That would be self-destructive, since the government can crush us if we give them an adequate excuse. This kind of drama encourages that kind of dangerous posture.

So far as "putting the man away" is concerned, the Mission Impossible defense and all the people who supported it have accomplished that.

Last edited by Hadding; June 20th, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
 
Old June 20th, 2011 #1838
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Default More Mental Problems from Aorta Surgery

I added paragraph breaks for easier reading. This sounds somewhat similar to what Steele has exhibited. This aorta had not ruptured and clotted like in Steele's case.
========
http://www.healthcentral.com/alzheim...n/544796/84184

does anyone have experience with PTSD after surgery being confused with dementia and delirium?
08/25/09

Concerned daughter
Topics:Alzheimer's

My father has been in memory care since January after an aorta repair surgery. He came out of surgery fine, but the next day was in complete delirium with vary vivid delusions. After his second visit to the ER, they said he needed 24 hour care. His cognitive abilities are returning. He can figure money (percentages, how old some one is etc in his head again). In May he finally go the how much is a dime, nickel, penny and quarter and thought we were foolish for asking. He now remembers how much money he had in each bank account before sugery, he was happy "working" at his condo and didn't know why he was there but seemed happy after Mom died. I live here now you know, he would say.

When they did the cognitive test this month when it got the the math question to count backwards from 100 subtracting by 7's the doctor said he did it so fast he could barely keep track of how many he had completed. He had never see that before. Dad was capable of adding 5 digit columns of numbers in his head before all of this. WELL...just when things were going so well, we were able to take him out for family dinners etc.

All of a sudden he is back to the talk about going to jail for raping ladies in the home, there are hit men after him, and he gets me confused with my mother, yet he knows she is dead. Well last Monday he showed me a ping pong ball and said he was now targeted by the hit men and that he had to kill whomever they told him to. He said but I don't want to hurt anyone so if they catch me, I'm not going to let them take me, I will kill myself first before I hurt anyone else.

I called the home they reported it to his healthcare provider (NOT). We visit hiim every day and spend time with him so we know when he is upset more than the staff. He wouldn't let his favorite gal even come in his room because he didn't want her to get hurt. Tonight he said, I know you don't take this hitman shit seriously but it is very true and very real to me. He talked about the guards with the dogs, how they were dressed and everything.

I was thinking some kind of psychotic break, but he is a WWII veteran and I did some reading on the web about heart surgery and PTSD. The day of surgery he was fine, the next am he was not....that doens't really click with brain damage from the surgery. This has been a rough year with Dad there and Mom dying in May. BUT NOW I'm very freightened for him. The HMO says it will take 2 weeks just to get the scheduler to look at the schedule. I pleaded with them and said if it was your Dad would you want to wait 2 weeks knowing they may find him dead.

He has military training, he is capable of alot. I have to get some rest, I'm hoping someone out there knows something that could help. At this point they are going to do a 4 hour test that the ER doctor said he needed in February. We just sold all his belongings in the estate sale. I would love to get him back, but just getting him back happy will be enough for me. I left crying tonight from his place and that is the second time..the first was the day we put hiim there.
 
Old June 20th, 2011 #1839
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Pump Heads

A previous post has shown that Slick Willie has had substantial mental impairment from his heart bypass surgery. This involves removal of veins from the legs and transplanting them to the heart to bypass partially plugged coronary arteries. Willie is not a perfect test case because liberals are brain damaged to start with. Note that measureable brain function loss is found in 80% to 90% of bypass patients.

Steele's aorta surgery to repair his ruptured aneurysm was far more dangerous. This was aggravated by the fact that it had clotted over an hour before surgery.
=========
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/oct...alth/he-pumps4

Heal the heart, hurt the mind?

Some doctors believe the use of a heart-lung machine during surgery can cause patients to lose some of their mental sharpness.
October 04, 2004|Judy Foreman | Special to The Times

When former President Bill Clinton underwent quadruple coronary bypass surgery on Labor Day, he spent 73 minutes hooked up to a heart-lung machine while surgeons rerouted blood vessels to his heart.

At 58 and in relatively good health, Clinton stands a good chance of fully rebounding from the bypass surgery, in which doctors replace clogged arteries to the heart with veins and arteries taken from elsewhere in the body.

But many people who undergo the procedure -- as 305,000 Americans did in 2001, the latest year for which figures are available -- find that their brains don't function as well as they did before. These effects can dissipate in a few days or continue for months or years.

In the medical world, this effect is commonly referred to as "pump head," reflecting the widespread, though unproven, belief that the condition is caused by the heart-lung machine. The machine is used when the heart is stopped during surgery, and the theory is that this results in small blood clots, air bubbles and other debris traveling to the brain and disrupting memory.

Nobody really knows how common "pump head" is because, outside of research studies, most cardiac patients aren't tested on intellectual function before and after surgery. Detecting all but the most subtle cognitive changes "depends on how hard you look," said Dr. William Cohn, director of minimally invasive surgical technology at the Texas Heart Institute in Houston.

Nonetheless, it has been "convincingly demonstrated that measurable cognitive dysfunction is actually a common complication of CABG [coronary artery bypass graft] surgery, with an incidence of 80% to 90% at hospital discharge," as Duke University researchers Dr. Daniel B. Mark and Dr. Mark F. Newman put it in an editorial in the Journal of the American Medical Assn. in 2002. Even five years after discharge, 42% of patients still show measurable cognitive decline, Mark and Newman found in their own study, published in 2001 in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Many cardiologists, among them Dr. Christopher Cannon of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, say that deficits are most likely to occur in older patients who, in addition to having clogged arteries to the heart, may have blockages in blood vessels in the brain as well. In other words, what some see as a consequence of heart surgery may be a consequence of generalized atherosclerosis.

At the moment, there is no cure for "pump head." Doctors do not understand why some patients who get it improve over time and others do not.

Though it's not clear today that the heart-lung machine is the real culprit in "pump head," many doctors for years assumed it was and focused their prevention efforts on the machine itself.

Older heart-lung machines were fairly crude, said Dr. Irv Kron, chairman of the department of surgery at the University of Virginia. "There were no filters; the technology was terrible," he said, allowing bits of particulate matter to travel to the brain.

Now the machine's tubing is coated with material that reduces the body's inflammatory response, which can be triggered as blood cells course through the machine. Historically, this inflammatory response was believed to cause some of the cognitive problems after surgery, said Dr. William Baumgartner, chief of cardiac surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. A better solution, some doctors say, would be to get rid of the pumps altogether and operate on still-beating hearts using special devices.

But off-pump surgery, though it has been increasing in recent years, is used in only about 22% of bypass procedures, said Dr. John Puskas, an associate professor in the division of cardiothoracic surgery at Emory University in Atlanta. "I think it's clear that off-pump is better, but proving it with scientific rigor is challenging," he added. In general, off-pump patients leave the hospital a day or so sooner, have less blood loss and may have fewer kidney problems.

One study by Dutch researchers in 2002 found that although the off-pump group had better cognitive outcomes right after surgery, by one year later, the difference was negligible -- a 31% decline in the off-pump group versus a 34% decline in the on-pump group.

Other doctors question how valuable off-pump surgery is because, despite the name, "pump head" can occur occasionally after operations in which heart-lung machines are not used, perhaps because of the sheer stress of surgery, the duration of anesthesia, postoperative infections or respiratory problems.

At Johns Hopkins, Baumgartner's team compared heart patients who underwent on-pump bypass surgery with equally sick patients who did not have bypass surgery. One year later, there was no difference in cognitive function between the two groups.

Patients may find comfort in knowing that many cardiologists, including Dr. Frank Sellke, chief of cardiothoracic surgery at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, believe the operations are "fairly equivalent."

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; June 20th, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old June 20th, 2011 #1840
Hugo Böse
Jeunesse Dorée
 
Hugo Böse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Four Seasons Jalalabad
Posts: 8,590
Hugo Böse
Default Insanity???

What would have happened if he had pleaded insanity, what would have been the chances of such a plea succeeding, and how much time would he have then theoretically faced if he was deemed insane or mentally ill?
__________________
_______
Political correctness is an intellectual gulag.

Last edited by Hugo Böse; June 20th, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
 
Reply

Tags
edgar steele

Share


Thread
Display Modes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.
Page generated in 0.20039 seconds.