Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 9th, 2013 #1
John in Woodbridge

John in Woodbridge
Default The Wild Wild West (1965 - 1969)

This much-loved TV series ran for four years in the late '60's. Robert Conrad plays secret service agent Jim West, and Ross Martin (excellent actor) plays agent Artemus Gordon.

The series had many of standard winning elements - lots of beautiful (white) women, plenty of ass-kicking, and James Bond-type gadgets. Forget about the horrid movie remake starring Will Smiff, the original series was a very white show.

Some of the episodes were pretty surreal. Althoug the show was a traditional western theme, I wonder if some of the writers used psychedelics as this was the late '60's.

Old March 9th, 2013 #2
White Winger

White Winger

"Some of the episodes were pretty surreal. Althoug the show was a traditional western theme, I wonder if some of the writers used psychedelics as this was the late '60's."

Not really; when it began,the James Bond / Spy craze was at it's pop culture peak, so it was simply blending that trend with the Western TV series,which was still popular,as well as throwing in some early,1800s sci-fi ideas from the likes of Jules Verne and HG Wells.The surreal episodes and moments were also keeping with other ideas that were also,unfortunately,had been emerging in popular culture in that era,on other shows and especially, films. But I doubt anyone involved with TWWW took psychedelics, even the writers; from everything I've read,the show was done by nothing but straight,hard-working White Men - Robert Conrad and his stunt men friends in the show, especially.

Last edited by White Winger; March 10th, 2013 at 08:54 AM.

Old March 9th, 2013 #3
N.B. Forrest

N.B. Forrest

I used to love it when I was a kid, watching reruns in the early '70s. Something about the opening animation creeped me out, though....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of natureóthat of self preservation ó is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old March 10th, 2013 #4
John in Woodbridge

John in Woodbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Winger View Post
"Not really; when it began,the James Bond / Spy craze was at it's pop culture peak, so it was simply blending that trend with the Western TV series,which was still popular,as well as throwing in some early,1800s sci-fi ideas from the likes of Jules Verne and HG Wells.The surreal episodes and moments were also keeping with other ideas that were also,unfortunately,had been emerging in popular culture in that era,on other shows and especially, films. But I doubt anyone involved with TWWW took psychedelics; from everything I've read,the show was done by nothing but straight,hard-working White Men - Robert Conrad and his stunt men friends in the show, especially.
I'm sure you are probably right. Seems to be a blend of several different genres. As with N.B. what I remember of it I watched as a kid. I vaguely remember one episode (I think it was a two-parter) where they enter some type of haunted house. It was pretty freaky at least watching it as a kid. I'm recording the entire series so eventually I'll come across it.

Old March 10th, 2013 #5
Norman Bean

Norman Bean

In the summer of 1990,millinium comics came out with a very fathful to the show, four issue wild wild west comic.One can pick all four up pretty cheap on ebay.

Old April 11th, 2013 #6
ohgolly

ohgolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
I used to love it when I was a kid, watching reruns in the early '70s. Something about the opening animation creeped me out, though....
Yeah but that creepiness added to it for us at that age, didn't it? Fond memories.

Thread