VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 24th, 2015 #1
Bev
drinking tea

Default UK shutting down CCTV cameras

Quote:
The UK has one one of the largest numbers of CCTV cameras in the world. There is approximately 4-5.9 million cameras but now councils across England and Wales are having to turn off many cameras in a bid to cut costs.

The government's austerity cuts have been blamed with Tony Porter the surveillance camera commissioner saying, "There are an increasing number of examples where councils and employees are citing a lack of money as being the rationale to reduce the service or completely change its composition - and that does concern me. Because CCTV isn't a statutory function, it is something a lot of councils are looking at. Most people recognise the utility of CCTV for supporting law enforcement.

To degrade the capacity may have an impact on police. It may well be that they will find it increasingly difficult to acquire the images that will help them investigate crimes. I do think public authorities should be held to greater account."

However some campaigners see the number of cameras being turned off as a blessing with many believing the United Kingdom is becoming too much of a big brother state. Activists feel the number of cameras in the UK is shocking with it not being a very large nation.

Civil liberties groups say there is very little if any evidence that show the effectiveness of cameras and have welcomed the councils decision to continuously review them. They are seen as a drain on resources in the UK, and with some councils saving a quarter of a million pounds by cutting a third of its cameras, it is being seen in a positive light. A government spokesperson said, “Decisions on CCTV provision should be a local decision by elected local councillors, reflecting local circumstances and the views of local residents – especially in relation to any concerns about crime.”
h ttp://ww w.presstv.com/Detail/2015/05/23/412463/UK-cocouncils-shutting-CCTV-cameras

Thread