Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 19th, 2012 #41
john-connor
Banned

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/31...the-film-only/ [BD Review] The Flaws And Glory Of ‘Prometheus’, For Those Who Have Seen The Film Only

Old October 19th, 2012 #42
Late Bloomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
I thought the opening shots of a primordial Earth were very well done. The scene with the massive Engineer craft slowly rising up through the clouds was absolutely beautiful. I assume those shots are all CGI, but they look real.

Overall, I enjoyed Prometheus, despite some plot holes (what scientist would remove his helmet on an extraterrestrial planet?) that did seem obvious. It raised at least as many questions as it answered.

I don't think the film captured the claustrophobia and growing sense of dread that Scott was able to summon in Alien.

The de rigueur PC race-mixing was thankfully only briefly alluded to, rather than graphically displayed.
I agree. The "self-service abortion" scene was about the only claustrophobia-inducing scene.

The piece of dialog that bothered me the most (other than the obligatory black talking shit to a white girl) was when the android, David, stated something to the effect that "don't all children want their parents dead?" That sounds like some kind of Freudish joo-talk. It felt almost as deliberately stuffed-in as the race-mixing crap.

But overall it was interesting. The derelict spacecraft, and its bizarre alien pilot, from the first Alien movie was always a tantalizing mystery. And seeing it in the Aliens special edition for the first time recently was a real treat, too. It was good to see a little bit more of the story behind where that ship and its pilot came from. The ending certainly leaves room for more story to connect Prometheus to Alien.

Old October 20th, 2012 #43
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
I agree. The "self-service abortion" scene was about the only claustrophobia-inducing scene.
Indeed. "By any means necessary" comes to mind when carrying an alien squid-fetus, is the take-away.

Quote:
The piece of dialog that bothered me the most (other than the obligatory black talking shit to a white girl) was when the android, David, stated something to the effect that "don't all children want their parents dead?" That sounds like some kind of Freudish joo-talk. It felt almost as deliberately stuffed-in as the race-mixing crap.
I took the line as positing that to be God, one has to kill (the old) God.

Agree totally that the brief scene with Theron & space-nigger seemed utterly random. No set up, no mention of it afterwards, it could easily have been cut from the film and made zero difference. Blatant PC-pandering by Scott, which added nothing to the story.

Quote:
But overall it was interesting. The derelict spacecraft, and its bizarre alien pilot, from the first Alien movie was always a tantalizing mystery. And seeing it in the Aliens special edition for the first time recently was a real treat, too. It was good to see a little bit more of the story behind where that ship and its pilot came from. The ending certainly leaves room for more story to connect Prometheus to Alien.
In essence, the xenomorph that had a party on the Nostromo was a direct descendant of Holloway, who I couldn't get over how much she looked like the chick from Mythbusters. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

Worth the cost of the Blu-ray rental, if only for the scene of the Engineer craft in the opening.

Old October 20th, 2012 #44
john-connor
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/user/PrometheusNews

Old October 20th, 2012 #45
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

The evil aliens did have kikey looking noses......

Old October 20th, 2012 #46
John in Woodbridge

Quote:
Agree totally that the brief scene with Theron & space-nigger seemed utterly random. No set up, no mention of it afterwards, it could easily have been cut from the film and made zero difference. Blatant PC-pandering by Scott, which added nothing to the story.
I agree but I think this was gift to the (jew) studio bosses, and was completely gratituous. Fortunately it didn't go beyond that dialogue. I didn't think the jig's character was very believable anyways. In the original Alien the black was just a maintenance guy. Yaphet Kotto is an excellent actor so his presence didn't bother me.

Other than that I thought film was excellent and beautifullly shot from start to finish. This website about the Weyland Corporation is interesting and could be a sci-fi novel in of itself.

http://www.weylandindustries.com/timeline

Old October 20th, 2012 #49
Late Bloomer

Quote:
I took the line as positing that to be God, one has to kill (the old) God.
I've heard it put that way before in other stories. Reminds me of something Kevin Strom talked about in his first ADV broadcast after Pierce's unfortunate passing about a parasitic ant species usurping an established ant queen and getting the established queen's offspring to commit matricide (killing of the authority figure by her own subjects). And Strom's comparison of that to the jooze was spot on.

Quote:

Definitely. This kind of shit can ruin a movie, for those of us who're disgusted by this sort of thing. Or it can ruin a mind, like the brainwashed, impressionable young folk who'll readily absorb it and fail to reference the endless examples provided in news articles and reports around the world as to why to avoid such situations.

Quote:

In essence, the xenomorph that had a party on the Nostromo was a direct descendant of Holloway, who I couldn't get over how much she looked like the chick from Mythbusters. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.
That is something I hadn't even thought of - that the xenos are descended from Holloway (and Shaw). Great catch.

I assume you mean Shaw is the one who looks like the woman from Mythbusters? Holloway was the guy who inadvertently impregnated Shaw with the alien DNA. Noomi Rapace (Shaw) is cute. She's been in some fucked-up movies, though. There's a JewTube clip of her taking a dildo up the ass strapped on another chick - I think the movie that was in is called Daisy Diamond. I've seen the clip - bad enough - but not the movie; doesn't look or sound like my kind of "entertainment."

I haven't watched Mythbusters at all, but looking at the IMDb profile for the show, the actress Kari Byron appears to be the one who looks like Noomi Rapace.

Quote:

Worth the cost of the Blu-ray rental, if only for the scene of the Engineer craft in the opening.
Absolutely. Visually stunning scene. The tie-in, viral videos being posted as well as the one of Weyland in his younger years portrayed by Guy Pearce are great, too.

Old October 21st, 2012 #50
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Right. Shaw. I had the character names confused.

Old November 4th, 2012 #51
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

I am, even as I type, downloading Prometheus from Amazon.com. $3.99. I'll watch this evening, anticipating that proposition 64 will pass in Colorado Tuesday.

Mike

24.2% downloaded, downloading at 10.30 Mbps

60.3 %

Last edited by Mike in Denver; November 4th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Old November 4th, 2012 #52
Late Bloomer

Let us know what you think.

As I say overall I think it was pretty damn good. Worthy of being in the Alien franchise, but not perfect. Better than Alien³ and Alien Resurrection, in my opinion. Most movies these days are shit, and I wouldn't even download most of them for free, let alone pay admission price at a theater or a rental fee.

Old November 8th, 2012 #53
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
Let us know what you think.

As I say overall I think it was pretty damn good. Worthy of being in the Alien franchise, but not perfect. Better than Alien³ and Alien Resurrection, in my opinion.
Yeah, I did enjoy the film as well. It has that 'attention to futuristic detail' that I consider a hallmark of Ridley Scott. And as has been said, it's visually a really beautiful movie.

I wonder what Mike thought, since Prop 64 did indeed pass.

Old November 8th, 2012 #54
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
Yeah, I did enjoy the film as well. It has that 'attention to futuristic detail' that I consider a hallmark of Ridley Scott. And as has been said, it's visually a really beautiful movie.

I wonder what Mike thought, since Prop 64 did indeed pass.
I'm not a reviewer, but I'll put down a few notes.

I liked it, and in the large it was coherent. In the small, I think it was too busy, too many scenes, and too fast paced. My favorite of the Alien series was the first movie, Alien, by far. The slow pace of Alien really made for scaring the crap out of people, including me.

Prometheus was about half a really good movie, and about half a Saturday morning cartoon.

Mike

Old June 27th, 2013 #55
Jack lorenz

Anti-White garbage.

Surprised to see so many here giving 5 stars to this obvious jewish filth.

Old June 27th, 2013 #56
SaraT

Prometheus was a freakin' mess from start to finish.... hard to believe Ridley released this POS! Hopefully, he won't rape Blade Runner 2 this badly.

Old June 27th, 2013 #57
SaraT

Another good critique.

Thread