VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 20th, 2007 #41
YANKEE_JIM
Broadcaster

YANKEE_JIM
Thumbs up

The resident Yankee welcomes you to VNNForum JesseGibson!

Here's an article you may enjoy.

National titles for area lifters

11/20/2007

KINGSTON - It was a Rocky Mountain High for five area powerlifters, four that won national titles, at the recently completed USA Powerlifting Masters Benchpress Nationals in Denver.

Leading the quintet was seven-time world champion Brad Klinger of Kingston who won his 10th overall national crown in 11 attempts.

Competing in the 125-kilogram Masters III division, Klinger had a winning lift of 265 kilos (584 pounds) and earned another trip to the world championships to be held in April 2008 in Slovakia.

Rest of story HERE

-Jim

The Hudson Valley Freeman

Quote:
Carry a pocket knife ,wear steel toe boots and always make sure that you have the advantage or these savage simians will fuck you up! -- "White Minority" from VNNForum

“To destroy is always the first step in any creation.”

-E.E.Cummings

"We're seeing people wearing Skrewdriver (a white power band) shirts and sieg heil-ing around town."

-New Paltz, NY Mayor Jason West 08/18/2004

Old December 5th, 2007 #42
H.B.

H.B.
Default Protein - how much? How often?

It's great to have a world-class powerlifter posting here so I'd hate to see this thread drop out.

I have another question: what's the max amount of protein a person can digest at a single sitting? I was thinking around 34 but there are protein drinks that have 40+ grams.

Last edited by H.B.; December 5th, 2007 at 08:48 PM.

Old December 5th, 2007 #43
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Beast View Post
It's great to have a world-class powerlifter posting here so I'd hate to see this thread drop out.

I have another question: what's the max amount of protein a person can digest at a single sitting? I was thinking around 34 but there are protein drinks that have 40+ grams.
You gotta be careful about ingesting to much protein. It can stress your kidneys out big time trying to get rid of it.

Old December 5th, 2007 #44
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

RebelWithACause

Actually, some recent studies haven't held that up.

If you're involved in a good diet/exercise plan, try to shoot for .8 - 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day to provide you with what you need to build muscle and work towards your goals.

Old December 6th, 2007 #45
Alexander M.

Alexander M.

This site may be able to answer some questions.....http://www.bodybuilding.com/

Old December 10th, 2007 #46
Zyonasan
The last hope for humanity

Zyonasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
You gotta be careful about ingesting to much protein. It can stress your kidneys out big time trying to get rid of it.
I like it when people say this.

Its not as bad as "they" claim it to be. heck, you're also not supposed to eat too much broccoli because you can "technically" overdose on its high potassium levels.

Unless you have a current condition with your kidneys or lungs you should be fine eating your bodyweight in grams of protein.

Old December 10th, 2007 #47
Zyonasan

Zyonasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseGibson View Post
My upper back is- well was- extremely powerful. (I once did bent rows with 575 for a set of 4, and have done sets of 6-8 reps on wide grip chins at 300 pounds) The problem was my grip. My hands were VERY thick thus it was always difficult to hold the barbell. Also, I am not at all built- leverage wise- for deadlifting.

Hmm, interesting dilemna... For several reasons, I'd go with a few sets of cleans and some power snatches on my leg day. To avoid messing up my squat, I'd keep the sets low and do them prior to squatting. Think of them as a warm-up.

Hope this helps.
\

hm, This topic is kind of old but I do have 2 quick quetions:

1. I use absolutly perfect form on my squats and my knees still hurt the next day. the pain goes away by the time I have another leg session but if I do squats again the very next week it gets worse.

I'm only 23 and I don't want to be a cripple (because some of my dad's friends are from squatting) but i've noticed that the squats are the best exercise for building leg strength. I can go lighter (135) and not feel anything but i'm not really getting a workout that way. what would you do in my case?

2. My second question is reguarding flat and incline barbell benching. My arms are pretty long and I feel like I expend a lot of energy just completing 1 rep. also, i'm not sure if i'm lacking flexibility or what, but I cannot make the bar touch my chest. If I try to force it I get a bad straining feeling in my shoulders.

do you think it would be ok, if I just do the 75% reps?

Old December 10th, 2007 #48
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

RebelWithACause

As far as your knees/legs go, you might want to introduce yourself to a Smith machine if you aren't already aquainted, make sure that your ass isn't dropping beneath the plane of your knees on your squats, and try some glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplements.

(Just my .02)

Old December 11th, 2007 #49
Zyonasan

Zyonasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelWithACause View Post
As far as your knees/legs go, you might want to introduce yourself to a Smith machine if you aren't already aquainted, make sure that your ass isn't dropping beneath the plane of your knees on your squats, and try some glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplements.

(Just my .02)
What about that popular phrase "ass to grass?"

I guess doing something is better than not doing anything at all....oh and the restricted movements of the Smith Machine kills my shoulder.

Yeah, I know, i'm practically a cripple.

Old December 11th, 2007 #50
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

RebelWithACause

Going atg isn't a problem as long as you're not blowing out heavy sets all the time. When someone mentions 'perfect form,' they can't really incorporate atg into it because it isn't considered 'perfect form.' Personally, I've found that if you go atg at very moderate weights, you can strengthen the muscles and connecting tissues around the knees to make them more tolerable to heavier atg sets...but you need to be careful you don't blow your knees out.

Also, I don't think atg would be a good idea for anyone with pre-existing joint-strain issues. Maybe do some bodyweight ones a few times a week to see how bad that cripples you and then go from there...

Thread