VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 25th, 2004 #1
Derrick Beukeboom

Derrick Beukeboom
Default Advice for quitting smoking

Just wondering if anyone can post advice on quitting smoking.
Thanks.

Not really for me, just for someone I know.....
Any remedies appreciated.

Old November 25th, 2004 #2
Sean Martin

Sean Martin

Throw them down and quit cold turkey. Assuming your friend is white he or she should be able to over power a cig.

Old November 25th, 2004 #3
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

The Barrenness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean(doc)martin
Throw them down and quit cold turkey. Assuming your friend is white he or she should be able to over power a cig.

LOL. I only wish it could be that easy.

Old November 25th, 2004 #4
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Matthaus Hetzenauer

I quit 11/2 of this year - just over 3 wks ago. Smoked a pack (maybe a little under) a day for the past 30 yrs.

I used Nicorette lozenges you can buy in any pharmacy. Cost about $45. It gets you through the nicotine withdrawal - the physical part - but the toughest part is mental, of course....and that's all up to you.

Its gettin' easier, day by day....

Old November 25th, 2004 #5
H.E.A.

Exclamation Stop

JUST STOP!! QUIT! ADDICTION IS A WEAKNESS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Beukeboom
Thanks.

Old November 25th, 2004 #6
Intrepid
Dodging vacuous stares

Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
I quit 11/2 of this year - just over 3 wks ago. Smoked a pack (maybe a little under) a day for the past 30 yrs.

I used Nicorette lozenges you can buy in any pharmacy. Cost about $45. It gets you through the nicotine withdrawal - the physical part - but the toughest part is mental, of course....and that's all up to you.

Its gettin' easier, day by day....
Congrats, Hoax. I quit for the first time about three months ago. I smoked for a little over 20 years, but about double the amount you were. I used the patch thing for about 6-7 weeks; then, just a ton of jerky and sunflower seeds. Stickin' in the seeds and spittin' them out constantly has made this a lot easier. I'm going though about 60 5.75oz bags a month, though. I get them in bulk at Costco - $7.99 for 14 bags.

Old November 29th, 2004 #7
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Beukeboom
Thanks.

I smoked for years, just a few a day, but I found it hard to quit permanently. When I did, I felt that it was in response to wanting to avoid annual sinus infections which are even worse due to a deviated septum recieved in my teenage years from a neighborhood nigger we used to call Trashman Joe. Anyhow, I feel much better and healthier.

The key I believe is to understand one's habit in terms of when and where it is most tempting, and then slowly but surely restrict the when and where and avoid the most tempting things for months. For example, if one mostly relapses while at taverns, then one must avoid taverns until the quitting has set in permanently. If the habit is related to morning coffee, than one may have to quit the joe or maybe take it where one cant smoke. And so forth.

Combine quitting with exercise for a powerful boost in health!

Old November 29th, 2004 #8
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

The Barrenness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateemall
JUST STOP!! QUIT! ADDICTION IS A WEAKNESS!!

True, but almost everyone is addicted to something. Tons of people(no pun intended ) are addicted to food and end up eating themselves into an early grave. But yet most people never even really address overeating as being an addiction.

Old November 29th, 2004 #9
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

The Barrenness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR ANTICHRIST
Eat nothing but raw fruit and veggies, nuts and seeds and berrys. Drink huge amounts of pure water a day by the jug. If going raw is not happening the water jug is still a very powerful way. That and control of the inner conversation.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun, I think I would rather die of lung cancer

Old November 29th, 2004 #10
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

The Barrenness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Congrats, Hoax. I quit for the first time about three months ago. I smoked for a little over 20 years, but about double the amount you were. I used the patch thing for about 6-7 weeks; then, just a ton of jerky and sunflower seeds. Stickin' in the seeds and spittin' them out constantly has made this a lot easier. I'm going though about 60 5.75oz bags a month, though. I get them in bulk at Costco - $7.99 for 14 bags.
I think the patch would be the way to go. Quitting could be taken more gradually that way. How exactly does that work, I don't completely understand. Does each patch contain less nicotine, until there is none? And what happens if you do smoke while wearing the patch, do you become violently ill?

If I even attempted to go cold turkey, I would truly be living up to my title, Rotten Spoiled Bitch

Old November 29th, 2004 #11
Intrepid
Dodging vacuous stares

Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitler goddess
I think the patch would be the way to go. Quitting could be taken more gradually that way. How exactly does that work, I don't completely understand. Does each patch contain less nicotine, until there is none? And what happens if you do smoke while wearing the patch, do you become violently ill?

If I even attempted to go cold turkey, I would truly be living up to my title, Rotten Spoiled Bitch
The way it works is there are three different patches - 21mg, 14mg & 7mg (I think that's right). The patch manufacturer gives an arbitrary recommendation such as: 6 weeks at 21mg; 4 weeks at 14mg & 2 weeks at 7mg( once again, I think that's what the box said). Now, they tell you not to cut the patches. Obviously, for it would reduce their profit margin. Pay no attention, cut away! I had the whole patch on for about 10 days; 1/2 a patch was on for about 10, as well. That left me 6 patches, which I used in 1/4 pieces when needed. If I would've used their program, I would've spent around $250.00. I spent around $50.00 for the one box of 21mg patches.

I'm not sure what happens if you smoke with the patch on. Probably nothing. I recall someone buying me some nicotine gum in Mexico years ago &, instead of reducing or quiting, I smoked, chewed and drank at the same time. No problem, sans being a little light-headed. I wouldn't, if I were you, bother attempting to quit if you really don't wish to stop. It isn't pleasant, so don't put yourself through it if you're not going to really quit.

Old November 29th, 2004 #12
Intrepid
Dodging vacuous stares

Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR ANTICHRIST
.... That and control of the inner conversation.

Elaborate on this one, good doctor. Does the inner conversation help or hinder the process?

Old November 29th, 2004 #13
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

I think that one has to know the habit, to know how to control the inner conversation. ie, what mental images trigger the desire to smoke. then you avoid the images, to avoid the desire. that would be what I would take from the statement "control the inner conversation." maybe dr a will discuss this in more detail or contrast his meaning with my interpretation?

Old November 29th, 2004 #14
Intrepid
Dodging vacuous stares

Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
I think that one has to know the habit, to know how to control the inner conversation. ie, what mental images trigger the desire to smoke. then you avoid the images, to avoid the desire. that would be what I would take from the statement "control the inner conversation." maybe dr a will discuss this in more detail or contrast his meaning with my interpretation?

Yes, I, too, would like to hear the Dr. A's perspective. I wonder if it has anything to do with the imaginary cigs I kept reaching for on my desk and nightstand, at least for the first couple of weeks?

Old November 29th, 2004 #15
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

The Barrenness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Yes, I, too, would like to hear the Dr. A's perspective. I wonder if it has anything to do with the imaginary cigs I kept reaching for on my desk and nightstand, at least for the first couple of weeks?

LOL. I am not quite sure whether you are trying to be funny or not. The crazy thing is I can almost see something like that happening just because all aspects of smoking become such a habit. The physical symptoms are only a small part of this most terrible habit

Old November 29th, 2004 #16
Intrepid
Dodging vacuous stares

Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitler goddess
LOL. I am not quite sure whether you are trying to be funny or not. The crazy thing is I can almost see something like that happening just because all aspects of smoking become such a habit. The physical symptoms are only a small part of this most terrible habit
No. I'm serious about the reaching thing. It was the oddest thing, I tell ya.

Old November 30th, 2004 #17
Angler

Angler

A few very important points to tell anyone who wants to quit, IMO:

(1) AVOID THE COMPANY OF OTHER SMOKERS WHILE YOU'RE TRYING TO QUIT. If you have to lock yourself in your house and be a hermit for the first few weeks, then do so.

(2) AVOID ALCOHOL. Drinking makes you want to smoke.

(3) FIND ANOTHER (LESS HARMFUL) ADDICTION THAT YOU CAN USE TO DISTRACT YOURSELF. If you get addicted to video games easily (as I do), then they can work wonders in this regard.

(4) KEEP FIRMLY IN MIND THAT THE CRAVING WILL PASS. One of the most common reasons why people relapse into smoking is because their minds subtly lie to them and tell them that the craving will never get better. When I was trying to quit (cold turkey after 2 packs a day for many years), the craving got so bad that at one point I found myself dreaming about smoking almost every night. DON'T GIVE IN. You will NOT need cigarettes for the rest of your life.

Old December 3rd, 2004 #18
Rob Roy MacGregor

Rob Roy MacGregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes

After a meal... That's the WORST!

Tolerance is how far a mechanical part can deviate from the
norm before it screws up the entire machine.
– Any Mechanic

The Jews hate us because of our FREEDOM!

Holocaust® is a registered trademark of "G-d's chosen" predestined to "Rule the Earth".
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Old December 3rd, 2004 #19
Odin

Default My Opinions-For What They're Worth

Good suggestions listed in the thread.

Nicotine patches DO work, but you will have to find something to occupy your hands and mouth. Play with a pencil or something, and nibble on seeds or twizzlers.

Likewise, nicotine gum works, but you may find it can be as addicting as cigarettes.

YES, begin to exercise when you quit. The endorphines generated by even a modest workout can give you a buzz to rival nicotine. Start with a brisk walk every evening and some mild strength and stretching exercises. Better yet, invest 3 or 4 hundred in a treadmill.

YES, stay away from smokers and alcohol.

Remember that sudden urges will pass in 2 or 3 minutes if you don't dwell on them. When an urge hits, pucker your mouth and take a couple of slow deep breaths. Breath out slowly as well (it really works).

You will also have to have a good reason (for yourself) to quit, or you won't make it. Whether it's to improve your health/fitness or (in my case) to save money (what I used to pay for tobacco in a year now pays for a vacation in Florida). Quitting because someone WANTS you to (or you THINK they do) generally doesn't work. You'll still smoke, but be guilt ridden as well.

End of sermon. Good luck.

Old December 4th, 2004 #20
The Barrenness
Angry Shiksa

The Barrenness

Quote:
Nicotine patches DO work, but you will have to find something to occupy your hands and mouth. Play with a pencil or something, and nibble on seeds or twizzlers.

Now that you brought this up, this is something that concerns me. I have known a lot of people who have attempted to quit smoking and have gained weight. And I know that weight gain is a common occurrence for many people who quit. I do want to quit smoking, but I don't want to get fat in the process. I know this concern may seem silly to some people, but as a woman my physical appearance has always been extremely important to me.

Hoax, Intrepid: Did either of you experience this weight gain when you quit smoking?

Quote:
Likewise, nicotine gum works, but you may find it can be as addicting as cigarettes.
It may work, but I figure it must taste pretty nasty

Thread