Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 1st, 2004 #41
Sean Martin

Sean Martin

While the 45 is a good arm it is far from the best and that is what I have been trying to tell people. I don’t deny that it’s ballistics are good, but to carry that big bulky thing around is not very probable unless you are going to carry it on a side holster in the open, I have a shoulder holster but they are not as comfortable as they seem.

A carry gun is something that needs to be light and compact, and someone that has which is the best sidearm to carry doesn’t need something as big as a 45, until they are more experienced.

Now I see a lot of people talking and there has been some good conversation, but the thing I am curious about is who that has given input carries a gun everyday?

Unless you are a police officer a huge heave, and bulky gun like the 45 is out, you need something compact and concealable.

If you are going to go big why not go for a 44 mag, or one of those kinds of guns?

Old September 1st, 2004 #42
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean(doc)martin
So you reload or just your friends? I can?t imagine someone that reloads and doesn?t shoot into Gel at least once to see what load does the most damage and has the most impact. Plinking at paper doesn?t show force or damage or even velocity. Come on AE surely you know more about guns than this.
No my reloading buddies dont fuck with gel because they all know what you are trying to debate here which is that 45 acp hollowpoints are the best self defense rounds. Gel is for gun mag writers. Everybody I know who reloads reloads because they shoot ungodly amounts of ammo and couldnt afford it otherwise. They're not wildcatting or some shit. Again, gel is a thing people do for articles or department tests to compare new rounds. I dont need to reinvent the wheel.

I dont "plink" at paper I shoot IDPA targets in IDSP and IPSC competition. That is to test and develop practical accurracy. Go on back and read more Col Cooper if you want to know the hows and whys.

I wouldnt advise anybody who does carry every day to say so here. It just so happens that a self defense weapon is never far away from me unless I am in a secure facility in which case it doesnt matter. More than that I leave to the imagination. LOL

Old September 1st, 2004 #43
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

that being said, the gun you have when you need it is always better than the ideal gun that you dont have when you do need it. I had an old shooting buddy, who died at work with a bullet in his head, a carry license in his wallet, and a 45 in his car.

and that bullet was a 22!

Old September 1st, 2004 #44
COTW
Overseer

COTW

What would de considered a fair price for a .45 ACP? Would new or used make much of a difference? If so what should I look for?

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old September 1st, 2004 #45
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker oftheWhip
What would de considered a fair price for a .45 ACP? Would new or used make much of a difference? If so what should I look for?
if youre going to shoot alot get a 1911. springfields are good, to be had under 1000. I like kimber, wilson combat are excellent. but those are more like 2000.

glock, if you dont have time to shoot much, will be safer. and less expensive.

Old September 1st, 2004 #46
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
Post Office?
hmm, no he was working for an HVAC contractor in a shitty part of town in Gary or Hammond or therebouts. irony increases: in these noginfested crime capitals, the perp was said to be a White guy.

"unsolved mystery" it remained, last I heard.

Old September 1st, 2004 #47
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

yep its a shithole

when I was a kid reading LOTR about Mordor, I would just imagine Gary, with the dirty hovels off the Toll Road, the refineries belching forth sulphrous odors and flaming smokestacks of the steel mills, the perpetual dirt and grime, the shambling negroes... fucking place is horrifying

Old September 1st, 2004 #48
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

lol actually the environmental regulations have helped clean up the atmosphere. and the steel mills produce less but they're still running. the refineries are running full capacity. oy vey and the nigras are too-

Old September 2nd, 2004 #49
Sean Martin

Sean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
that being said, the gun you have when you need it is always better than the ideal gun that you dont have when you do need it. I had an old shooting buddy, who died at work with a bullet in his head, a carry license in his wallet, and a 45 in his car.

and that bullet was a 22!
If he had not depended on that bulky 45 and had gotten something more concealable and comfortable to carry concealed (as a 45 is neither comfortable nor concealable) perhaps he would be alive today.

The size and inability to conceal is the main reason a 45 is not the ideal best carry weapon. However if you are going to carry it open as a side arm it would be a good weapon, but still big and bulky.

If you have never carried a gun before I would suggest going to a gun range and renting some different guns and shooting some different weapons and getting the one you like the best.

A revolver is always nice, I usually recommend to people a 38 special capable of handling +p rounds as you get the best of both worlds, concealable and knockdown power, not to mention penetration.

Old September 3rd, 2004 #50
heaven above

[QUOTE=Doppelhaken]That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say the AR-15 was an inaccurate weapon. Unreliable and finicky about ammo I've heard countless times (and with good reason), but inaccurate, never. Mine isn't, I'll tell you that much.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the foresight was as big as your thumb, and all plasticky": A-1, A-2? I think the sights on the AR-15 are quite good as far as military rifles go, vastly superior to the AK sights, e.g. (then again the AK's reliability is its strong point). I've just sold an FAL because of shitty sights.

Well it was way back, and we were working in Berchtesgaden, Bavaria, Southern Germany, in the mid 1970's attached to a US Army unit down there.

We were a unit of Royal Engineers building a road or two, and a disco on the Obersalzburg.

Anyway, we did the 'civil things' like invite each others units to BBQ's, 'booze-ups', football matches and baseball and the like. Great times !

We used the ranges there, and after being used to the weapons that the British Army used, the AR- 15 seemed to have a huge foresight in comparison to our Army issue weapons. The British Army 7.62 SLR was a 'cannon' compared to the AR-15 armalite. But more accurate.

What range is the AR-15 usually fired at ?

We had to fire from 300, 400 and 500 meters on the ranges, unless you were very good. Then they fired from 1000 metres.

We had been used to using the old Bren gun,or GPMG, with extremely accurate sights, our version was the 7.62 hi-velocity round same round as the SLR.

It seemed to be like firing an 'air rifle',hardly any 'kickback', with the AR-15 .

I believe that the AR-15 was an 'injuring weapon' rather than a 'killing weapon'. The calibre being much smaller. The idea being that an injured soldier takes out about 4 - 6 of his mates attending to his injuries and carrying him back to base on a stretcher.

The 7.62 high-velocity rounds are killers, and no mistake.

Old September 7th, 2004 #51
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

I have an FAL set up with a Belgian congo barrel which is pretty short but LEGAL of course, and Izzy sights. Man them sights are good. I dont even remember what the stock sights looked like. But it is still a heavy piece for all that.

I was visiting somewhere over Labor Day, where they had extended cable programming on the televitz, and saw a shooting program about USPSA. http://www.uspsa.org/ They popularized the three gun match. Try this out if you havent done it. Join a local gun club, that's the way to go. For pistol only I favor IDPA matches. Most competitors use ARs but I may just break out the FAL next summer for fun.

Old September 7th, 2004 #52
Sean Martin

Sean Martin

Quote:
I was visiting somewhere over Labor Day, where they had extended cable programming on the televitz, and saw a shooting program about USPSA. http://www.uspsa.org/ They popularized the three gun match. Try this out if you havent done it. Join a local gun club, that's the way to go.
I know there are people that will say anything to try and refute a statement, but I will say this.

I have never seen a black in a gun club nor have I ever seen a non-white professional shooter with the exception of Massad Ayoobe (spelling?) who is not in my opinion a quarter of the caliber of the white men he imitates.

Sport shooting is one of the very, very few sports left that is nearly if not all white and is great fun also, as anybody from the non-athletic fat kid to a polite housewife can pull the trigger.

Another thing I have noticed at professional shooting competitions that there was no non-whites in the crowd, even the caretakers (janitors ect) were all white.

Just a crowd of white people that has love and respect for guns.

Get the same amount of minorities (pick your race) and load them up with guns out in the middle of a desert and see how many people are shot by the end of the day.

Old September 8th, 2004 #53
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

well there was a spabook at my last shoot but I didnt let that bother me. You are correct that generally it's overwhelmingly white.

Ayoob is lebanese ethnic, some would let him pass. He's a knowledgeable writer especially on legal issues.

Old September 8th, 2004 #54
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

scroll down page for pic of israeli FAL sight

http://www.kagerind.com/Kager_Static...un_sights2.htm

Old September 9th, 2004 #55
heaven above

Blacks don't join gun clubs as there is too much discipline needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean(doc)martin
I know there are people that will say anything to try and refute a statement, but I will say this.

I have never seen a black in a gun club nor have I ever seen a non-white professional shooter with the exception of Massad Ayoobe (spelling?) who is not in my opinion a quarter of the caliber of the white men he imitates.

Sport shooting is one of the very, very few sports left that is nearly if not all white and is great fun also, as anybody from the non-athletic fat kid to a polite housewife can pull the trigger.

Another thing I have noticed at professional shooting competitions that there was no non-whites in the crowd, even the caretakers (janitors ect) were all white.

Just a crowd of white people that has love and respect for guns.

Get the same amount of minorities (pick your race) and load them up with guns out in the middle of a desert and see how many people are shot by the end of the day.

Old September 9th, 2004 #56
heaven above

Here what's this plastic sidearm that is causing havoc with International airport security ?

I have heard it's either a Glock or a Swiss manufactured pistol . Anyone know ?

Old September 9th, 2004 #57
Sean Martin

Sean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven above
Here what's this plastic sidearm that is causing havoc with International airport security ?

I have heard it's either a Glock or a Swiss manufactured pistol . Anyone know ?
Well a Glock and a Tec-9 has enough metal to be detected by metal detectors this was a scare about 10 years ago.

It is possible to make a plastic gun but the internal workings would have to be metal, such as springs ect. However even with the strongest polymers made today it wouldn’t be reliable and useable for more than a couple times.

It would be difficult if at all possible to make more than a single or two shot plastic gun also.

Also your ammunition would have to have metal such as brass. Your primer and gunpowder could also be a factor when passing through detectors.

I am not aware of a gun that can pass through a metal detector or baggage detector.

It would be nearly impossible to completely make.

The only purpose I could see with such a weapon would be to shoot a guard that has a gun. In that case it would be more reliable to carry a plastic letter opener.

Old September 10th, 2004 #58
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

please lets not take this discussion into that kind of territory

Old September 10th, 2004 #59
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

consider for a moment, Dop, calculating the elevation on this here mile long 22 shot... let's see, if it's going to drop 30 feet at what angle must the barrel be aimed? any artillerymen here? hell if I could figger that out.

for a second it took me back to the summer camp in boy scouts. when I was twelve years old, and the "rangemaster" on the 50 yd boy scout 22 rifle range was telling us that same old crap and we were all sitting there in the shade on that hot humid day smelling like Off and four day old sweat and dirt and wondering if such a fantastic statement was merely an exagerration or just an outright lie. ah the glory days, I can almost taste the contraband chewing tobaccy as I typeth.....

Old September 10th, 2004 #60
Sean Martin

Sean Martin

Quote:
consider for a moment, Dop, calculating the elevation on this here mile long 22 shot... let's see, if it's going to drop 30 feet at what angle must the barrel be aimed? any artillerymen here? hell if I could figger that out.

As I am disappointed with you, you usually don't join the skralings and allow a thread get ripped apart.

Usually you show your diplomatic side. Did I hit a nerve by suggesting a person can defend himself with a 22? What's up AE?

Did I say to shoot someone at a mile? No, and usually you don’t lie and say someone said something they did not say.

I expect this kind of behavior from trolls and children but you are above that.

What gives?

Thread