Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 5th, 2019 #1
Ray Allan

Cool Big bad-ass Russian warships

Yes, the fictional Red October submarine was an 'Akula' (Shark) class, NATO code-name 'Typhoon'. Battlecruiser Pyotr Velikiy (Peter the Great) was named for the traditional founder of the Russian navy.

Are these vessels obsolete too, just like 'murcan aircraft carriers? I don't know, but they are still impressive.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old September 5th, 2019 #2
robert burns

I spent over 4 years on a sub in the early 80s. Maybe Russia has improved since then, I don't know.

Back then they had some fast and some deep diving subs but all had a fatal flaw. They put out to much noise and in the sub game that equals death.

As far as surface ships go we had a saying, there are two types of ships. Submarines and targets.

Old September 5th, 2019 #3
notmenomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert burns View Post
I spent over 4 years on a sub in the early 80s. Maybe Russia has improved since then, I don't know.

Back then they had some fast and some deep diving subs but all had a fatal flaw. They put out to much noise and in the sub game that equals death.

As far as surface ships go we had a saying, there are two types of ships. Submarines and targets.

I think the damage done in the John Walker case resulted in some considerable improvements in the noise situation. It also enabled the Soviets to have more knowledge on American sub whereabouts than was thought before.

The surface ships may now be as obsolete as the Kwan aircraft carriers, but I think the subs, maybe, not so much. Especially the strategic missile launchers.

Old September 14th, 2019 #4
Ray Allan

Submarines will outlast aircraft carriers, most likely. No carrier has been sunk in battle since WW2, but with the current crop of anti-ship missiles and torpedoes, the days of the KWA's big flattops are numbered, just like carriers superseded battleships in that war.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Thread