Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 7th, 2007 #1
Geoff Beck
Hammer

Default Aryan Linux & VNN

If there is sufficient interest and enough volunteers should VNN sponsor Bolg's version of Linux, known as Aryan Linux?

If there is interest we could set up a repository for the binaries and source, perhaps a wiki and blog too.

I'm sure VNN's Linux community want fellow WN'sts to get off the Window's treadmill of high fees and incessant upgrades; and of course the profits from the Window's software purchases are diverted to Africa and darkies in general.

Linux now has a rich desktop and supports all the media applications, so WN'sts would have a minimal learning curve were they to transition off Windows to Aryan Linux.

Comments?

Old March 7th, 2007 #2
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

I've got 13 days to decide. That's when my freebie firewall expires. Didn't Bolg post, somewhere, that Aryan/Linux renders firewalls redundant?
All one needs to install the operating software is a cd burner. I imagine, it's better than downloading direct, so as to be able to filter out tag-along bugs, before they have a chance to invade your system.
I'm presently using the word processor and graphic program from Linux. Thus, saving having to buy the advanced Word 2000 supplement which installs the Excell option. I'd also be saving myself any repercussions from the German government collecting Bill Gate's tax for running a pirated program.
It takes getting used to the new functions and you'll have to take time to explore the way they do things. But, it's worth it, indeed.
As soon as I get off my lazy ass, I'm going to burn a copy, myself

Old March 7th, 2007 #3
Bolg

Thanks, Geoff.

Quote:
If there is sufficient interest and enough volunteers should VNN sponsor Bolg's version of Linux, known as Aryan Linux?

If there is interest we could set up a repository for the binaries and source, perhaps a wiki and blog too.

I'm sure VNN's Linux community want fellow WN'sts to get off the Window's treadmill of high fees and incessant upgrades; and of course the profits from the Window's software purchases are diverted to Africa and darkies in general.

Linux now has a rich desktop and supports all the media applications, so WN'sts would have a minimal learning curve were they to transition off Windows to Aryan Linux.

Comments?
I appreciate any help and input I can get. The sources can be uploaded at any time - and I am ready to offer help, tutorials etc. The idea for a repository and a regular blog is a great one.

I am aware the liveCD I put out is a crude hack job and Aryan Linux is a rather bombastic name, but the distro can improve, and take on a life of it's own. For now, it's only advantage is that it's fully functional and stable, it's a working alternative to Windows. The sooner the lot of us get away and free from the necrosoft shit, the better, cause freedom is a wonderful feeling.

It would be a good thing maybe for a WN lawyer to look at the General Public License - the Arian Linux LiveCD is compliant with it, but laws are different for us haters. The GPL is a jew invention, after all.

All in all, I am sure Geoff and the rest of the Linux-savvy comrades here (me included), can advance this project.

Old March 7th, 2007 #4
Bolg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
I've got 13 days to decide. That's when my freebie firewall expires. Didn't Bolg post, somewhere, that Aryan/Linux renders firewalls redundant?
All one needs to install the operating software is a cd burner. I imagine, it's better than downloading direct, so as to be able to filter out tag-along bugs, before they have a chance to invade your system.
I'm presently using the word processor and graphic program from Linux. Thus, saving having to buy the advanced Word 2000 supplement which installs the Excell option. I'd also be saving myself any repercussions from the German government collecting Bill Gate's tax for running a pirated program.
It takes getting used to the new functions and you'll have to take time to explore the way they do things. But, it's worth it, indeed.
As soon as I get off my lazy ass, I'm going to burn a copy, myself
It doesn't render a firewall redundant, but it has one of it's own, KLM. There is a crude graphical wizard at startup, that lets you set up the firewall really fast - basically all incoming traffic is restricted by default

I've taken care to make the interface as much like the Windows one as possible, to make transition painless for Windows users. I plan to do several video tutorials too - so everything becomes more clear.

There is also a script that lets you transfer the operating system to your harddisk, making it a real install, once you've decided you feel comfortable enough with it.

The liveCD is good for rescue purposes, or when you travel and need a secure environment on an unknown PC, or when your harddisk has suddenly broken and you needed to do something on your PC fast...

Old March 7th, 2007 #5
Geoff Beck
Hammer

Well, I'd like to hear from J3115, Lawrence Dennis and Alex from Germany too, I know they are Linux users. Lets hear their input. If they are too busy or not interested that's fine, no big deal.

I think this could be an interesting project. This is just the sort project that can attract the interest of Aryans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolg View Post
Thanks, Geoff.

I appreciate any help and input I can get. The sources can be uploaded at any time - and I am ready to offer help, tutorials etc. The idea for a repository and a regular blog is a great one.

I am aware the liveCD I put out is a crude hack job and Aryan Linux is a rather bombastic name, but the distro can improve, and take on a life of it's own. For now, it's only advantage is that it's fully functional and stable, it's a working alternative to Windows. The sooner the lot of us get away and free from the necrosoft shit, the better, cause freedom is a wonderful feeling.

It would be a good thing maybe for a WN lawyer to look at the General Public License - the Arian Linux LiveCD is compliant with it, but laws are different for us haters. The GPL is a jew invention, after all.

All in all, I am sure Geoff and the rest of the Linux-savvy comrades here (me included), can advance this project.

Old March 7th, 2007 #6
Kind Lampshade Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Beck View Post
...Window's treadmill of high fees and incessant upgrades; and of course the profits from the Window's software purchases are diverted to Africa and darkies in general...
Nothing like visual backup.
Here, the Doogooder knows he can't pack his billions into a suitcase for embarking in Hell. Therefore, he's got to do as much damage as possible up here. All because you people wore baggy Wigger pants which allowed Microsoft-on's tentacles to empty your pockets and line those of the NGOs who train future outsourcers to replace you and keep AIDS from extermination by doing everything possible to keep AIDS's hosts from naturally undergoing compulsory extinction:

Quote:
It doesn't render a firewall redundant...
But, it'll make the Bill Gates wanna-be look-alike worshippers redundant. The brother of my ol'lady, who would otherwise be my brother-in-law were I to marry, is one of these types. I thought this was him, in the photo. But, he's fatter, has less hair and is more Jewish. He tries keeping up with the Geek crowd, by always having to get the latest gadget. Pictured here with the latest mechanical Step 'n fetch it Goyim outsourcer:

Last edited by Kind Lampshade Maker; March 7th, 2007 at 05:58 PM.

Old March 7th, 2007 #7
Kind Lampshade Maker

Here, the aftermath of diabolical Bill Gates' agenda:

http://www.deutsche-welle.de/dw/arti...345742,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
"...Some have lived in Germany for decades, whereas others have come recently thanks to the IT boom. There are already many second-generation South Asians who were born in Germany..."

Old March 7th, 2007 #8
Geoff Beck
Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
Here, the aftermath of diabolical Bill Gates' agenda:

http://www.deutsche-welle.de/dw/arti...345742,00.html
We won't be using ubuntu either: http://ariszlo.tripod.com/screenshots/ubuntu.jpg

Old March 7th, 2007 #9
J3115

Quote:
Well, I'd like to hear from J3115, Lawrence Dennis and Alex from Germany too, I know they are Linux users. Lets hear their input. If they are too busy or not interested that's fine, no big deal.

I think this could be an interesting project. This is just the sort project that can attract the interest of Aryans.
I would love to help in anyway that I can, this would be an outstanding
project for WN's to get involved in. Before we got too involved I would
ask someone about licencing.

I've spoke with Paderni about her OliveBSD (OpenBSD live cd) on IRC. If
you made a BSD live cd you wouldn't have any problems with licenses
what so ever. Userland and program ports are credited end of story.
http://g.paderni.free.fr/olivebsd/

If you create a livecd from Mandriva and call it something else they
may bitch, under gnu if Mandriva is credited for the work they did, I
don't really see it as being a problem, but I'm not a lawyer.

Old March 7th, 2007 #10
J3115

Quote:
We won't be using ubuntu either: http://ariszlo.tripod.com/screenshots/ubuntu.jpg
Wtf? <Shakes head>

Old March 7th, 2007 #11
Geoff Beck
Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3115 View Post
I would love to help in anyway that I can, this would be an outstanding
project for WN's to get involved in. Before we got too involved I would
ask someone about licencing.

I've spoke with Paderni about her OliveBSD (OpenBSD live cd) on IRC. If
you made a BSD live cd you wouldn't have any problems with licenses
what so ever. Userland and program ports are credited end of story.
http://g.paderni.free.fr/olivebsd/

If you create a livecd from Mandriva and call it something else they
may bitch, under gnu if Mandriva is credited for the work they did, I
don't really see it as being a problem, but I'm not a lawyer.
Point 1)
I'm willing to discuss the BSD option, depending on what the group thinks.

Point 2)
The GPL license is clear cut: one can use source code for any purpose as long as the changes to the source code are also made freely available. Of course we'd have to remove any references to Mandriva in scripts and such - if we were to use Mandriva.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Old March 7th, 2007 #12
J3115

Quote:
Point 1)
I'm willing to discuss the BSD option, depending on what the group thinks.

BSD works for me... Very Stable and secure.

Point 2)
The GPL license is clear cut: one can use source code for any purpose as long as the changes to the source code are also made freely available. Of course we'd have to remove any references to Mandriva in scripts and such - if we were to use Mandriva.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves.
I've never made a 'live cd' We could get more info from Blog on the
steps he took. From what I understand you could tar up the system
you want and untar it into the /livecd directory.

You would need a backup
/var/
/etc/
/dev/
Easy enough..

What I find confusing would be the "Make File" Something like this?
Maybe.

newfs -m 0 -o space -i 524288 -c 80 ${VND_RDEV}
mount ${VND_DEV} ${MOUNT_POINT}
cp ${BOOT} ${.OBJDIR}/boot
strip ${.OBJDIR}/boot
strip -R .comment ${.OBJDIR}/boot
strip -s -R .comment -K cngetc ${.OBJDIR}/boot
dd if=${.OBJDIR}/boot of=${MOUNT_POINT}/boot bs=512
dd if=aryianlinux.gz of=${MOUNT_POINT}/bsd bs=512
/usr/mdec/installboot -v ${MOUNT_POINT}/boot \

Hell, if you guys really want to sit down and do this project, we could
build from scratch using a stage-1 tarball from Gentoo linux as a
starting point. I can tell you right now running a hook/KDE/Gnome would
be a bitch from a stage-1 build. The good side, with doing it this way
is that we don't have to worry about

Old March 7th, 2007 #13
Geoff Beck
Hammer

Quote:

Well, I think we're really getting ahead of ourselves.

We ought to sit down and hammer out some objectives for the distro. For me I want it to be appealing to the average WN'ist with some interest in computers. I'd like to offer a rich desktop environment too. Not a cryptic CLI.

I don't think we need to build any distro from scratch. We simply decide on an existing distro, like Gentoo, Fedora, or Mandriva, take a snapshot of it and then start our own branch from it.

Well, that's how I'd do it. Then we customize it suit "Aryan sensibilities".

Of course we'll need to hammer these things out. I'm sure others have ideas, and we'd like to hear them.

Old March 8th, 2007 #14
Bolg

Quote:
Well, I think we're really getting ahead of ourselves.

We ought to sit down and hammer out some objectives for the distro. For me I want it to be appealing to the average WN'ist with some interest in computers. I'd like to offer a rich desktop environment too. Not a cryptic CLI.

I don't think we need to build any distro from scratch. We simply decide on an existing distro, like Gentoo, Fedora, or Mandriva, take a snapshot of it and then start our own branch from it.

Well, that's how I'd do it. Then we customize it suit "Aryan sensibilities".

Of course we'll need to hammer these things out. I'm sure others have ideas, and we'd like to hear them.
I think, as long as we set some rules on the architecture of the distro itself, we can go with whatever distro - even build from scratch (although I am not that enthusiastic about that, I don't see the point).

By rules I mean:

1. Where stuff will go:

Libraries /usr/lib
Configs /etc
Binaries /usr/bin
Sources /usr/include

It needn't be exactly those directories, but we ought to decide on rigid locations, and stick to them, otherwise the result would be chaos.

2. Decide how installation/deployment would go for the prospective user, with his ease in mind.

Do we prepackage the various pieces of soft in some way for installation, and make real installation CDs, or we take the deployment from LiveCD?

I must say I am in favour of the second option - once the user has tried the OS, likes it, and wants it permanently on his HD, he starts the wizard, and the options go:

Do you want a slick, or a lightweight interface?
Do you want an office-oriented PC or a Multimedia-oriented one?
Do you intend to compile your own software at a later time?
(Other relevant questions)

Depending on what the user chooses, various blocks of software are deployed to the HD - KDE or Icewm (or otherDM). Open Office or something else for office use, various multimedia-creating soft etc.

Of course, the underlying secure base would be there, without asking the user - firewall, intrusion detection and the like.

3. Do we package each piece of soft by itself, or go with larger chunks:

Do we do our own package of Gimp (for example), or when the user decides he's mutimedia-inclined we dump the whole video/audio/graphic editing compilation on him?

4. Are we to keep compatible with any of the install methods existing (I mean, when there is some package not yet adapted for Aryan, will be the user able to just get an rpm and slap it on)? Here, point #1 above becomes very important.

Old March 8th, 2007 #15
Bolg

Quote:
I've never made a 'live cd' We could get more info from Blog on the
steps he took. From what I understand you could tar up the system
you want and untar it into the /livecd directory.

You would need a backup
/var/
/etc/
/dev/
Easy enough..

What I find confusing would be the "Make File" Something like this?
Maybe.

newfs -m 0 -o space -i 524288 -c 80 ${VND_RDEV}
mount ${VND_DEV} ${MOUNT_POINT}
cp ${BOOT} ${.OBJDIR}/boot
strip ${.OBJDIR}/boot
strip -R .comment ${.OBJDIR}/boot
strip -s -R .comment -K cngetc ${.OBJDIR}/boot
dd if=${.OBJDIR}/boot of=${MOUNT_POINT}/boot bs=512
dd if=aryianlinux.gz of=${MOUNT_POINT}/bsd bs=512
/usr/mdec/installboot -v ${MOUNT_POINT}/boot \

I used the excellent http://livecd.berlios.de/?Scripts_and_Links for making the CD.

Of course, it can be done step-by-step, but those guys have already done an outstanding job.

Old March 8th, 2007 #16
Geoff Beck
Hammer

Well, the ability of the installer to select options is important, as you suggest.

Though, I would argue, the default install should be a typical Windows like product.

Perhaps something like KDE, configured multimedia players with latest codecs, and Open Office.

I'd like to see this distro as real option for the average user, as a way to get off the MS crap which finances our destruction.

Now the advanced user can explore options to strip out or manually configure items.

Old March 8th, 2007 #17
kymry...

I actually believe that this Linux thing might be one of the biggest contributions VNNers could make. I think it's beyond impressive.

Could I just temper this by adding that I am hardly computer illiterate but have no idea HOW this thing is of use to me and I am sure I echo other interested parties' ignorance when I ask the following:

1 - Can I just download it then use it?
2 - Can the software included within be used to do my "normal" everyday computational tasks, for example surfing, e-mailing, storing and playing MP3s, burning CDs, watching videos, listening to VNNB, writing documents (I have heard of OpenOffice and my sister uses it) or, even, making a Podcast?
3 - Those of us who never did a computer course of any type due to age (40+) missed out on all the geekspeak but if you're right then couldn't every WN use it as is...today?
4 - Can you install this if you have Windows XP installed already.

I suppose there are many other questions but I have read so much negative material about Microsoft that I am really wanting something different. It's not so much the cost as issues of spyware, viruses, constant updates, DRM, big brother, freedom, etc etc that rule my thinking.

Many thanks in advance,

K

Old March 9th, 2007 #18
Bolg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymry View Post
I actually believe that this Linux thing might be one of the biggest contributions VNNers could make. I think it's beyond impressive.

Could I just temper this by adding that I am hardly computer illiterate but have no idea HOW this thing is of use to me and I am sure I echo other interested parties' ignorance when I ask the following:

1 - Can I just download it then use it?
Sure. The first release is fully functional, has been online for some time already.

http://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=452893&postcount=13

Here is the link to the download script with instruction for Windows users:

get_aryan.exe

Quote:
Download the self-extracting archive get_aryan.exe to a directory of your choice. Start the exe, two files will be extracted:

get_aryan.bat - the script that will download and build the final iso file
wget.exe - the download program

Wait for it to finish. When it does, there will be a folder called "aryan", and the aryan-0.1.0.iso will be inside, along with gpl.txt (The General Public License). Burn the iso on a CD and use it.

1. Start get_aryan.exe
2. Start get_aryan.bat
3. Wait.
4. Burn the resulting iso to a CD, boot from the CD, enjoy.
Quote:
2 - Can the software included within be used to do my "normal" everyday computational tasks, for example surfing, e-mailing, storing and playing MP3s, burning CDs, watching videos, listening to VNNB, writing documents (I have heard of OpenOffice and my sister uses it) or, even, making a Podcast?
Here are some screenshots:
http://www.box.net/public/57hpk53fcn#main

It has a browser, multimedia players, skype, icq. Everything, but an office suite - since it is a CD release, intended to run from the CD itself, I've aimed at small size. The good side is that you will be able to get to know it from the CD, and when you are comfortable with it, you can transfer it on your harddrive i one easy step.

We are currently discussing how to proceed with the next releases of Aryan Linux, but as you can see, the aim is giving Windows users as little pain as possible if they decide to migrate to Linux. As you can see from the screenshots, the taskbar, start menu etc., look very much Windows-like.

Quote:
3 - Those of us who never did a computer course of any type due to age (40+) missed out on all the geekspeak but if you're right then couldn't every WN use it as is...today?
Sure, see above. But it will get better, with the help of more VNN-ers. Anyway, some video-tutorials will be made, it will make explaining a lot easier.

Quote:
4 - Can you install this if you have Windows XP installed already.
Yes. If you run it from the CD, your Windows install stays on the computer, unharmed. If you decide to install it on the harddrive, you just need one empty partition for it. Afterwards, you'll have a dual-boot PC - when yuo start the system, it will ask you what do you want to boot - Windows or Linux.

Quote:
I suppose there are many other questions but I have read so much negative material about Microsoft that I am really wanting something different. It's not so much the cost as issues of spyware, viruses, constant updates, DRM, big brother, freedom, etc etc that rule my thinking.
Well, Linux in general is much more secure. There should be some tutorials, though - explaining how to make you system secure and the implications of not doing so.

Old March 9th, 2007 #19
Bolg

Quote:
Well, the ability of the installer to select options is important, as you suggest.

Though, I would argue, the default install should be a typical Windows like product.

Perhaps something like KDE, configured multimedia players with latest codecs, and Open Office.

I'd like to see this distro as real option for the average user, as a way to get off the MS crap which finances our destruction.

Now the advanced user can explore options to strip out or manually configure items.
In this case we may build on the foundation of the existing release? Mplayer and xmms are already there, the KDE too. Anything can be added - office suite, piture editing soft... Cool and easy - hit a button, choose OpenOffice, it gets downloaded and installed by itself, the menus get updated, the user is happy

I am more and more convinced that detailed video-tutorials are in order. Will take a lot of the confusion out for newbies.

Old March 9th, 2007 #20
Geoff Beck
Hammer

Quote:
In this case we may build on the foundation of the existing release? Mplayer and xmms are already there, the KDE too. Anything can be added - office suite, piture editing soft... Cool and easy - hit a button, choose OpenOffice, it gets downloaded and installed by itself, the menus get updated, the user is happy

I am more and more convinced that detailed video-tutorials are in order. Will take a lot of the confusion out for newbies.
All good points.

Thread