VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 9th, 2021 #1
Bev
drinking tea

Default Ottawa will ban all unvaccinated people from leaving Canada

Quote:
After November 30, air passengers who have not received two recognized doses will not be able to travel to a Canadian airport.

To leave Canada from a Canadian airport, travelers must be properly vaccinated.

The information went unnoticed. By confirming on Wednesday an announcement already made in the middle of the summer, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his team unveiled some details concerning the compulsory vaccination for civil servants, but also for travelers.

Until now, airlines have expected compulsory vaccination for all passengers who board a plane within the country. This measure will be implemented from October 30.

But the federal government is preparing to go even further.

Starting this fall, no one will be able to leave Canada without being properly vaccinated.

Vaccination requirements will apply to all travelers aged 12 and over who are air passengers on domestic, transborder or international flights departing from a Canadian airport.

A quote from:Extract from a Transport Canada press release
In an exchange of emails, the Department of Transport confirmed to Radio-Canada that this requirement does indeed apply to all travelers, Canadians or not, who would like to leave the country from Canadian airports .

We will invite operators to determine how best to leverage the appropriate tools to implement these requirements for travelers.

A quote from:Sara Johnston, spokesperson for the Department of Transport
There are already rules and extensive restrictions on travelers entering Canada from abroad , says Sara Johnston, spokesman for the Department of Transport.

Indeed, since the beginning of September, only adequately vaccinated tourists can enter Canada. However, temporary workers and foreign students who do not have their two doses of vaccines recognized by Canadian authorities have the right to arrive, but are subject to screening tests and a 14-day quarantine.

As soon as this regulation comes into force, the latter may not be able to leave Canada.

A transition period of one month
A transition period until November 30 will allow travel without being vaccinated, provided they present a negative molecular test for COVID-19 carried out in the 72 hours prior to travel. In addition, Transport Canada promises to issue new directives by that date "concerning travel restrictions for unvaccinated temporary foreign workers or foreign students who wish to take a connecting flight as part of their return trip to Canada. ".

Justin Trudeau and Chrystia Freeland at a press conference in Ottawa.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland on Wednesday announced the entry into force of a new mandatory vaccination policy for federal employees and for rail and air passengers.

Wind of panic among foreign workers and students
This federal initiative is causing anxiety among foreign students and temporary workers who are not adequately vaccinated. They fear that they will not be able to return home when their license expires or in the event of a family emergency.

Élodie Duquéroix says she is confused since this announcement by the Trudeau government. I am anxious, stressed. I feel like I am imprisoned in Canada , she blurted out.

Of French origin, she has lived in Canada since 2019, with her spouse and their two children. Currently breastfeeding, she prefers to wait before getting vaccinated. This mother finds it hard to understand that Ottawa wants to prevent foreign nationals from leaving her territory.

Do we have to sell the house in a hurry and leave? It squarely calls into question our life plans in Canada.

A quote from:Élodie Duquéroix, French citizen residing in Canada
Nesrine Bisa, founder of the Facebook group for mutual aid between Canadian travelers Canada Travel During Covid , says she is overwhelmed with messages from upset and distraught members .

There are those who are not vaccinated by personal choice, but we must not forget those who have received a vaccine not recognized by Canadian authorities and who feel trapped by these new rules , she said.

Ali Kitchlew, for example, is a Canadian citizen who resides in Dubai and has received doses of vaccines not recognized by Canada, Sinopharm and Sinovac. I fear that I will not be allowed to leave the country if I ever come to visit my family , he assures, while evoking the complexity of the federal and provincial rules.

Passengers arriving from Fort Lauderdale, Florida prepare to leave the plane.
At present, various measures are already in place in the aviation sector. Passengers, for example, must wear a mask during their flight.

A court test to be expected
But is it legal? Can we prevent a foreigner living in Canada from returning home? Yes, according to Me François Crépeau, expert in international law, but only under certain conditions.

This measure constitutes a restriction on the liberty of persons, recognizes the professor of McGill University. It is in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that everyone has the right to leave any country, including their own.

The real question, says the lawyer, will be to demonstrate whether this restriction is justifiable and reasonable in a free and democratic society. Is it normal to apply this measure to Canadians and foreigners? Is the transmission of COVID-19 in air transport significant enough that unvaccinated people should be prevented from flying?

The lawyer is convinced that this measure will be challenged very quickly in court. But, according to him, the government could succeed.

If we demonstrate that it is effective in the fight against the pandemic, I do not see the legal problem with this measure.

A quote from:François Crépeau, professor of international law at McGill University
Should wanting to return to one's country of origin take precedence over the international responsibility to protect the health of all? It will be up to the courts to decide , adds François Crépeau.

Air Transat check-in desks next to each other.
Airlines want details quickly to put these new rules in place.

Airlines await details
How are the airlines going to organize themselves? We put the question to Air Canada and the National Airlines Council of Canada (CNLA).

If they agree with the idea of ​​compulsory vaccination, they ensure that they have no details and ask themselves questions about the implementation of such a measure, especially from a point of view legal.

We look forward to immediate engagement from [government] officials on the details of the implementation and proposed regulations , the CNLA said in a statement, deploring the lack of consultations in recent weeks and the very tight deadlines..

Nesrine Bisa, for her part, criticizes an announcement which, according to her, is imprecise and confusing. Once again, new directives are being thrown at us without giving us any details. We call Health Canada and Transport Canada, and we have no answer. It's chaos.
(translated from French, if you're wondering why it reads a little weirdly)

ht tps://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1830094/avion-trudeau-covid-canada-interdiction-voyage

Thread