VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 11th, 2021 #1
T.Garrett
Banned

Talking I got called a nigger 15 times today

Quote:
These Black Capitol Police Officers Describe Fighting Off "Racist-Ass Terrorists"

Two Black officers told BuzzFeed News that their chief and other upper management left them totally unprepared and were nowhere to be found on the day.

The first glimpse of the deadly tragedy that was about to unfold came at 9 a.m. on the morning of the insurrection for one Black veteran of the US Capitol Police. But it didn’t come from his superiors — instead the officer had to rely on a screenshot from Instagram sent to him by a friend.

“I found out what they were planning when a friend of mine screenshot me an Instagram story from the Proud Boys saying, ‘We’re breaching the Capitol today, guys. I hope y’all ready.’” The officer, who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation from his superiors, told BuzzFeed News that it was just a sign of the chaos that was to come, which saw officers regularly finding themselves unprepared and then outmanned and overpowered by the mob.

The officer said that while the department’s upper management had been telling them to prepare for Wednesday’s storming of the Capitol like they would for any other protest, that Instagram post sent a clear message: this wasn’t going to be just some kind of free speech protest — this was going to be a fight.

Management’s inaction left Black police officers especially vulnerable to a mob that had been whipped up by President Donald Trump, a man who has a record of inspiring racist vigilantes to action. One of the most defining videos of that day was of one of their colleagues, another Black officer, trying in vain to hold back the tide of rioters who had broken into the building and were hunting for Congressional members.

BuzzFeed News spoke to two Black officers who described a harrowing day in which they were forced to endure racist abuse — including repeatedly being called the n-word — as they tried to do their job of protecting the Capitol building, and by extension the very functioning of American democracy. The officers said they were wrong-footed, fighting off an invading force that their managers had downplayed and not prepared them for. They had all been issued gas masks, for example, but management didn’t tell them to bring them in on the day. Capitol Police did not respond to BuzzFeed News’ request for comment about the allegations made by officers.

While some of the images from that day appeared to show officers standing by to let the mob into the Capitol building, the veteran officer said that they had fought them off for two hours before the attackers eventually gained access. The officer said that many of the widely spread images of smiling marauders, wandering the halls dressed in absurd costumes, had the effect of downplaying how well prepared some of the rioters were to overtake the building, and even to capture and kill Congress members.

“That was a heavily trained group of militia terrorists that attacked us,” said the officer, who has been with the department for more than a decade. “They had radios, we found them, they had two-way communicators and earpieces. They had bear spray. They had flash bangs ... They were prepared. They strategically put two IEDs, pipe bombs, in two different locations. These guys were military trained. A lot of them were former military,” the officer said, referring to two suspected pipe bombs that were found outside the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee.

The officer even described coming face-to-face with police officers from across the country in the mob. He said some of them flashed their badges, telling him to let them through, and trying to explain that this was all part of a movement that was supposed to help.

“You have the nerve to be holding a Blue Lives Matter flag, and you are out there fucking us up,” he told one group of protesters he encountered inside the Capitol. “[One guy] pulled out his badge and he said, ‘We’re doing this for you.’ Another guy had his badge. So I was like, ‘Well, you gotta be kidding.’”

Another officer, a newer recruit, echoed these sentiments, saying that where he was on the steps to the Rotunda on the east side of the Capitol, he was engaged in hand-to-hand battles trying to fight the attackers off. But he said they were outnumbered 10 to 1, and described extraordinary scenes in which protesters holding Blue Lives Matter flags launched themselves at police officers.

“We were telling them to back up and get away and stop, and they’re telling us they are on our side, and they’re doing this for us, and they’re saying this as I’m getting punched in my face by one of them … That happened to a lot of us. We were getting pepper-sprayed in the face by those protesters — I'm not going to even call them protesters — by those domestic terrorists,” said the officer.

While it was a hard day for almost every officer at the Capitol, Black officers were in a particularly difficult position, he said, and he drew a stark contrast with how police handled the Black Lives Matter protests this summer.

“There’s quite a big difference when the Black Lives Matter protests come up to the Capitol,” he said. “[On Wednesday], some officers were catering to the rioters.”

He said that what upset him the most was when he later saw images of a white colleague taking a selfie with the attackers, seeming to enjoy his time with the insurrectionists who were roaming the US Capitol with Confederate flags and other symbols of white supremacy.

“That one hurt me the most because I was on the other side of the Capitol getting my ass kicked,” he said.

He is certain that if a group of Black Americans had stormed the Capitol, they wouldn’t have gotten that kind of friendly reception from his white colleagues.

“If you’re going to treat a group of demonstrators for Black Lives Matters one way, then you should treat this group the same goddamn way. With this group you were being kind and nice and letting them walk back out. Some of them got arrested but a lot of them didn’t. Everyone who came into that Capitol should have been arrested regardless if they didn’t take anything.”

The number of arrests has steadily increased in recent days, but it currently seems unlikely that everyone who breached the building on Wednesday will be arrested for their actions.

Five people died on Wednesday, including a Capitol Police officer. One protester was shot and killed by Capitol Police, while three others died of medical emergencies during the attack.

The older Black officer didn’t think it was a simple case of treating the rioters differently from BLM protesters, but instead part of a bigger issue with how the agency is managed.

“Our chief was nowhere to be found, I didn’t hear him on the radio. One of our other deputy chiefs was not there,” he said. “You don’t think it’s all hands on deck?”

The veteran officer welcomed the resignation of US Capitol Police chief, Steven Sund, but he thinks more needs to change at the agency, which answers to Congress and where security is not as tight as it should be.

“Congress can bring anybody in the building that they want. They can go outside and find 200 people, and say, 'Hey, they’re with me. Come on in.' They don’t have to go through security as long as a congressman said so,” he explained. “They just want to make Congress happy. So I think the next chief needs to come in and sit down with Congress.”

At the end of the night, after the crowds had been dispersed and Congress got back to the business of certifying president-elect Joe Biden’s victory, the veteran officer was overwhelmed with emotion, and broke down in the Rotunda.

“I sat down with one of my buddies, another Black guy, and tears just started streaming down my face,” he said. “I said, ‘What the fuck, man? Is this America? What the fuck just happened? I’m so sick and tired of this shit.’”

Soon he was screaming, so that everyone in the Rotunda, including his white colleagues, could hear what he had just gone through.

“These are racist-ass terrorists,” he yelled out.

In the seven years since Black Lives Matter has become a rallying cry, the image of a white cop deciding how and when to enforce law and order has become ubiquitous. On Wednesday, Americans saw something different, as Black officers tried to do the same, as they attempted to protect the very heart of American democracy. And instead of being honored by the supporters of a man who likes to call himself the “law and order” president, Black Capitol officers found themselves under attack.

“I got called a nigger 15 times today,” the veteran officer shouted in the Rotunda to no one in particular. “Trump did this and we got all of these fucking people in our department that voted for him. How the fuck can you support him?”

“I cried for about 15 minutes and I just let it out.”
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ice-racism-mob

Last edited by T.Garrett; January 11th, 2021 at 01:26 AM.

Old January 11th, 2021 #2
Ray Allan

The nigger blue nigger should just do the honorable thing and kill himself because his little feelings got hurt, like that pale Capitol kwap reportedly did Saturday. Unfortunately, blacks have the lowest suicide rate of anyone in this cuntry.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old January 11th, 2021 #3
James Radov

“I got called a nigger 15 times today,” the veteran officer shouted in the Rotunda to no one in particular.

“I cried for about 15 minutes and I just let it out.”

so, one minute of weepy for every time its called a nigger..
or can the nigger only count to 15...

Old January 11th, 2021 #4
Lutador Branco

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post

Thank you for this excellent article that informs us about the January 6 battle.

Last edited by Lutador Branco; January 12th, 2021 at 09:24 PM.

Old January 12th, 2021 #5
Lutador Branco

ARGUMENT

White Supremacy Created the Capitol Assault

The Trojan horse of racism put democracy’s enemies inside its walls.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/01/11...mp-supporters/

BY ROB CAMERON | JANUARY 11, 2021, 12:08 PM

Trump supporters try to storm the U.S. Capitol
A man calls on people to raid the building as Trump supporters clash with police and security forces as they try to storm the U.S. Capitol building in Washington on Jan. 6. JOSEPH PREZIOSO/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES

U.S. President Donald Trump has committed sedition in broad daylight and incited a violent attempted coup that had the unintended effect of disrupting a political one. Both attempts failed for many reasons, but the question is how they even got that close. The answer is simple. The invaders were not Black.

While many of the police present made heroic efforts to protect the people inside the halls of the Capitol building during the mob attack on Jan. 6, and one gave his life doing so, they were hampered by leadership that did not see the real threat that the mob posed, by law enforcement posing in selfies with the attackers, but most of all by the assumption of white innocence and the years of white supremacist infiltration into police forces across the country. It is commendable that the police tried to show some humanity and attempted to keep the situation from escalating. But the juxtaposition of the images from the police response in the Capitol and to Black Lives Matter protests is telling. Had the Capitol rioters been Black, the police would have been ready with tanks.

White supremacy and, with it, the presumption of white innocence explain how in the 2014 Ferguson protests, the National Guard arrived in overwhelming numbers, and even peaceful Black protesters were deemed “enemy forces.” It also explains why federal law enforcement underestimated the size of Trump’s “Stop the Steal” protest by over 20,000 people and kept their presence too small and too far away to react. According to the Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, they were afraid of the optics of an armed confrontation with citizens and wanted to avoid a “Tiananmen Square moment.”

This is strange, as both the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI have known for some time that right-wing white nationalists are the top domestic terrorist threat to the United States. Observers of sites and apps like TheDonald.Win and Parler sounded warnings about the coming armed confrontation, as users declared their intentions, believing that they were in a “post-legal phase.”

In a recent interview, Democratic Rep. Cori Bush told Rachel Maddow that, “As someone who has been to hundreds of protests from the Ferguson uprising, it was strange because it was almost as if there was this call to not use force. I’m not used to that. … I’ve been tear gassed so many times … unconscious on the ground … I’ve been brutalized by the police. Stomped.”

The media and governmental leaders initially had great difficulty in deciding what to call the people who broke the barriers, and they still haven’t quite settled on a term. They were protesters, Trump supporters, alleged Trump followers, insurgents, conspiracy theorists, terrorists, patriots, a mob. Very special people. Few would call them by the most accurate name: tacitly sanctioned white supremacists.

Simply labeling them as terrorists is dangerous. It makes it easy to disassociate and separate them from the people you see on the streets every day. These were not just scary men in masks with neo-Nazi tattoos brandishing the Confederate flag.These were not just scary men in masks with neo-Nazi tattoos brandishing the Confederate flag. There were elderly men and women, teenagers: ordinary white Americans. Ashli Babbitt, the woman fatally shot by Capitol Police, was ex-military. She owned a business. Her family shares her fears of the “coming multiracial democracy.” White supremacy is so normalized, the police thought they knew them. They thought they had them under control. They didn’t want to make a scene. It felt more like a familiar dispute than a true uprising or national crisis, until suddenly it was.
To some extent, the involvement of Donald Trump also confuses the issue. The presidency has always had a powerful symbolic pull. It concentrates certain aspects of American culture and pulls them closer to the center of the narrative Americans tell about themselves. Americans’ feelings are focused on the president, for good and bad. So there are many who want to lay the blame solely at Trump’s feet. It is certainly true that he has done what former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke could not, and what no president has successfully done since Woodrow Wilson: legitimize the actions of white supremacists at the highest level.

Yet the modern conservative movements have always been a safe space for the privileges of white rage. Even Republican Sen. Mitt Romney, cited often for his courage in the face of Trump, has made convenient use of it when it suited him, as have many Republicans. And if we’re being honest, so have Democrats. Redlining Black Americans into substandard, segregated neighborhoods like Ferguson was a bipartisan effort at all levels of government. Trump is a particularly virulent expression of white rage, but he’s not its creator.

What happened on Capitol Hill was not an accident. It wasn’t an act of God. This wasn’t an aberration; it was part of a pattern. It was apparent in the standoff at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, where armed white militia seized a federal center five years ago. It was visible again with the armed protests in Michigan last year. For years, white supremacists in power have nourished their communities on fears of nonwhites coming to take their democracy and told them to attack.For years, white supremacists in power have nourished their communities on fears of nonwhites coming to take their democracy and told them to attack. The internet made it easier to escalate, but not so easy to control. It is hard to say who was more shocked last week when things went south—the dog that bit, or the hand that fed.
It’s visible online how quickly the more extreme elements have reacted viciously to the seeming betrayal of the president and his ilk as Trump signals he will agree to leave the White House on Jan. 20, and they have made it clear they have no fear of the police. This isn’t over, neither in the short term nor the long. There is still the inauguration, and there are promises of attacks being made online on right-wing forums right now.

And yet, while white supremacists laid siege to the Capitol building, Georgian voters were saving America a second time. Most white Georgians voted for the Republican Party in the Senate runoffs even after the blatant attack on the elections, backed by the Republican candidates. But Black voters, other people of color, and a minority of white voters overwhelmed a system put in place to ensure white power. They proved again that Black lives do matter, now more than ever.

Old January 12th, 2021 #6
Lutador Branco

US & Canada

Trump supporters planning armed protests ahead of Biden inauguration, FBI warns

Published15 hours ago

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55625707

US election 2020

Members of the National Guard stand next to a fence and barricades set up around the U.S. Capitol building in Washington
IMAGE COPYRIGHTREUTERS
image captionSecurity has been stepped up at the US Capitol following deadly violence last week
The FBI has warned of possible armed protests across the US as Trump supporters and far-right groups call for demonstrations before Joe Biden is sworn in as president.

There are reports of armed groups planning to gather at all 50 state capitols and in Washington DC in the run-up to his 20 January inauguration.

Security will be tight for the event after a pro-Trump mob stormed Congress.

House Democrats say a vote to impeach the president will happen on Wednesday.

They accuse President Trump of "incitement of insurrection" and say the vote will be held unless Vice-President Mike Pence invokes constitutional powers to remove Mr Trump from office. There is no sign Mr Pence is prepared to do so.

Mr Biden and Vice-President-elect Kamala Harris are expected to be sworn in at a ceremony at the Capitol. The Biden team had already urged Americans to avoid travelling to the capital because of the Covid-19 pandemic, a call that is now being repeated by local authorities.

Security officials have said there will be no repeat of the breach seen on 6 January, when thousands of pro-Trump supporters were able to break into the building where members of Congress were voting to certify the election result.

Five people died in the riot, which happened after Mr Trump repeated unsubstantiated claims of fraud in the November vote and encouraged his supporters to march on the Capitol.

Since then, calls for Mr Trump's resignation, removal from office or impeachment have grown among Democrats and some Republicans. Mr Trump has made no public statements since he was banned from several social media platforms - including Twitter - on Friday.

He became the third US president to be impeached in December 2019 over charges of breaking the law by asking Ukraine to investigate his rival in the presidential election. The Senate cleared him.

Key dates to watch

Tuesday: The House of Representatives will vote on a resolution calling on Vice-President Pence and the cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment to declare the president unfit for office and remove him immediately. The resolution is likely to pass as Democrats hold a majority, but Mr Pence has shown no sign he is planning to act
Wednesday: Democrats vow to hold a vote on impeachment. As they have a majority, Mr Trump is likely to become the first president to be impeached twice. The single article of impeachment - a formal charge - will then need to be sent to the Senate where a trial will be held but the timeline is not known
20 January: Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are sworn in as president and vice-president

What further protests are planned?

Posts on pro-Trump and far-right online networks have called for protests on a number of dates, including armed demonstrations in cities across the country on 17 January and a march in Washington DC on inauguration day itself.

An internal FBI bulletin, reported by ABC News and other outlets, carries a warning that one group is calling for the "storming" of state, local and federal courthouses around the country if Mr Trump is removed from office early and on inauguration day if he is not.

media captionCapitol riots: ‘We would have been murdered’
Although the violence at the US Capitol dominated headlines last week, similar smaller incidents were also reported elsewhere in the country. Local police agencies have been told by federal law enforcement to increase security at statehouses, according to US media.

FBI warnings are in place for all state capitals from 16 to 20 January itself and in Washington DC at least three days before the inauguration.

Companies and social media networks are cracking down against users and websites seen to be encouraging violence, including social network Parler, which said it was suing Amazon for removing it from its web hosting service.

Twitter said it had suspended more than 70,000 accounts that promoted the Q-Anon conspiracy theory while Facebook said it was banning any content that refers to Stop the Steal, a slogan associated with Mr Trump's claim the election was rigged.

In other developments:

US media report that Mr Trump had a phone call with the House minority leader, Kevin McCarthy, on Monday. According to CBS and Politico, Mr McCarthy told fellow Republicans that Mr Trump had accepted some responsibility for last week's violence while Axios said Mr Trump claimed the loose-knit left-wing group antifa were involved, although there is no evidence of that
Mr Trump is expected to make his first public appearance since the riot on Tuesday, as he travels to Texas to visit a stretch of the border wall with Mexico
On Monday, Mr Trump and Mr Pence met for the first time since the riot, which happened as the vice-president was presiding over certification of the election result. No details have been released of the meeting. Mr Pence had refused Mr Trump's call not to certify the result
What security is planned for the inauguration?
On Monday President Trump declared a state of emergency for Washington DC until 24 January, which enables the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to act to "avert the threat of a catastrophe".

Chad Wolf, acting head of the DHS, said he had instructed the US Secret Service to begin operations for the inauguration on Wednesday - six days early - "in light of events of the past week and the evolving security landscape".

Later on Monday, Mr Wolf became the third Trump cabinet secretary to step down since the riots, after Betsy DeVos and Elaine Chao. He said his departure had been prompted by "recent events", including court rulings challenging the legal validity of his appointment.

media caption"President Trump could face charges even with a pardon" - Prof Bruce Ackerman from Yale law school
More than 10,000 National Guard troops will be in the capital by the weekend, with about 5,000 more available if requested, Chief of the National Guard Bureau General Daniel Hokanson said. For Mr Trump's inauguration in 2017, about 8,000 National Guard troops were deployed.

Meanwhile, Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser called for more security after what she described as an "unprecedented terrorist attack" at the US Capitol last week.

The National Park Service announced that it has closed the Washington Monument to visitors amid "credible threats" of violence, adding it could also temporarily close areas of the National Mall and Memorial Parks.

Speaking as he got his second Covid-19 vaccine on Monday, Mr Biden said he was "not afraid" to take his oath of office outside despite security fears.

President-elect Joe Biden receives his second dose of a vaccine against the coronavirus disease in Newark, Delaware
IMAGE COPYRIGHTREUTERS
image captionBiden said on Monday he had spoken to some senators about their moves to impeach Donald Trump

After being sworn in as president, Mr Biden is expected to take part in a wreath-laying ceremony alongside former presidents Barack Obama, George W Bush and Bill Clinton to help underscore his message of unity.

Donald Trump has said he will not attend the inauguration - becoming the first president in more than 150 years to refuse to do so.