VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 9th, 2011 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default White Spirit

[this thread is for snips or quotes that demonstrate the essence of the White race. I'm not crazy about the term spirit, but it fits here. I consider questing to be at the heart of Whiteness, and these quotations will reflect that.]

Old September 9th, 2011 #2
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

"Because it's there" - George Mallory

(Responding to the question "Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?" )

Old September 9th, 2011 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

Couple small examples from bikers - bike riders, pros or video makers, but driven by the desire to do something new. You see this mentality everywhere among quality whites. (Side note: most 'originality' is just what these guys are describing - modest takeoffs on something already existing.)

These are taken from a Salt Lake giveaway rag "Slug." "Slug" covers the scene in SLC - 20-somethings who are riding, opening clothes shops, making low-listened music, building their own bikes and motorcyles and cars. Remember that SLC and Provot is close to unique on earth as the one location whites breed at considerably higher than replacement numbers. So the culture here, while much similar to 'judeo-alternative' culture elsewhere, has a strong admixture of whiteness.

[quotes to come later]

Old September 23rd, 2011 #4
Lars Redoubt
Thomsonist-Frenzian

Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center... Big, undreamed-of-things – the people on the edge see them first.

Kurt Vonnegut: Player Piano

Old September 23rd, 2011 #5
Maxfield Parrish
Banned

Quote:
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center... Big, undreamed-of-things – the people on the edge see them first.
Especially when it comes to tsunamis - yikes!

Old October 4th, 2011 #6
Lars Redoubt
Thomsonist-Frenzian

I like my mind the way it is.

Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet) comments on drugs

Old March 21st, 2012 #7
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Couple small examples from bikers - bike riders, pros or video makers, but driven by the desire to do something new. You see this mentality everywhere among quality whites. (Side note: most 'originality' is just what these guys are describing - modest takeoffs on something already existing.)

These are taken from a Salt Lake giveaway rag "Slug." "Slug" covers the scene in SLC - 20-somethings who are riding, opening clothes shops, making low-listened music, building their own bikes and motorcyles and cars. Remember that SLC and Provot is close to unique on earth as the one location whites breed at considerably higher than replacement numbers. So the culture here, while much similar to 'judeo-alternative' culture elsewhere, has a strong admixture of whiteness.

[quotes to come later]
Oops. I lost the paper. Anyway, the quotes were basically along the lines of I ride to ride. I work on the bike, I build it the way I want, I open my eyes to the environment, I find things to make new daring tricks on. If others join me, great, if not, great too, if others tape me, great, if not, great too, if others sponsor me, great, if not, great too.

There are confluent spirits of camaraderie and competition and individualism and bare naked questing in these bicyclers.

Old March 21st, 2012 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

"Which one of you assholes is going to come in second?" -- Larry Bird in locker room to competitors in three-point contest.

Paraphrase, "I'm going to win the gold, everybody else is just here for the silver." -- Bill Johnson, before the downhill in Sarajevo in 1984. He did win the gold.

Old March 21st, 2012 #9
Alex Linder
Administrator

Willie Wonka, dancing down and up and down and ??? the stairs in his chocolate factory while the fuddled golden ticketeers and their loiners try to figure out his next move.

Wonka's sayings (that is Norwegian Britisher Roald Dahl's sayings) also show the White spirit:

- "a little madness now and then is relished by the wisest men."

And too, his catching the mouth of juvenescent snotgirl mid-razz (Snozzberries?!! Ther's no such thing as snozzberries!) with the soft and dulcet:

"We are the music-makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams."

Old March 21st, 2012 #10
Steve B
Banned

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Wayne Gretzky

Old March 3rd, 2013 #11
TimothyLeeAdams

Default favorite quote

"Courage, the price life extracts for granting peace." Amelia Earhart.

Old March 7th, 2013 #12
Lars Redoubt
Thomsonist-Frenzian

Grandfather took my brother and I by the hands and led us to all of the upper floor windows in that old farmhouse we called home. As we looked to the north, west, south and finally to the east, we were asked what we saw. After listening to our details, he responded, "If you ever look out of any window and see another house, then it's too damned crowded."

Robert Frenz, FAEM, 1 August 2000

http://www.faem.com/adlib/2000/a0801.htm

Old March 27th, 2013 #13
Alex Linder
Administrator

Children are born good, and society corrupts them. Not. Still, you got to love this kid's pluck - and his engineering.

http://gawker.com/5992610/babycam-ca...stuffed-animal

Old March 30th, 2013 #14
Alex Linder
Administrator

Madonna's brother, Anthony Ciccone, is a drunk living on the streets of Michigan. He says:

But I've never asked my sister for anything. She don't owe me nothing. That's her shit, man, she made her money, she worked for it, I've got no beef.

http://jezebel.com/5993014/madonnas-...ved-each-other

Old April 1st, 2013 #15
M.N. Dalvez

They're Italians embroiled in a family feud. Asking for a hand-out would be acceptable according to private family law, but it would give her status and he would lose status. She's already paid for all that rehab, which did nothing, so .... Her stock inside their family is low enough as it is, but I guess his is as well (albeit for different reasons). Even though she's a multi-multi millionaire, her family is still only one generation removed from the village.

And Italians are stubborn as hell * - there were enough Italian miners, truck drivers etc. living in Kal when I was a young 'un for me to know that.

Still, it's nice to know some people still take responsibility for their own fuck-ups.

*: That goes for diaspora Italians too, if my experience in my home town with the resident Italians is any indication.

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; April 1st, 2013 at 07:42 PM.

Old October 31st, 2013 #16
M. Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyLeeAdams View Post
"Courage, the price life extracts for granting peace." Amelia Earhart.
I don't think this quote makes any sense.

Old November 2nd, 2013 #17
Carl Corey

It is amusing to watch people jump on the bandwagon with the vaguest of notions (questing) as their guidance, and in all seriousness.

I guess this thread sums up the spirit of the modern day white.

Old November 2nd, 2013 #18
snowglobe

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

E. F. Schumacher

Cops learned to "extrapolate" from bureaucrats who said they were estimating;except when civilians do this- it's called Lieing.:rolleyes:

Old October 19th, 2014 #19
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post White Spirit: The Dutch boy mopping up a sea of plastic - Whites are the only race who care about making the world better/cleaner

Boyan Slat is a 20-year-old on a mission - to rid the world's oceans of floating plastic. He has dedicated his teenage years to finding a way of collecting it. But can the system really work - and is there any point when so much new plastic waste is still flowing into the sea every day?

"I don't understand why 'obsessive' has a negative connotation, I'm an obsessive and I like it," says Boyan Slat. "I get an idea and I stick to it."

This idea came to him at the age of 16, in the summer of 2011, when diving in Greece. "I saw more plastic bags than fish," says Slat. He was shocked, and even more shocked that there was no apparent solution. "Everyone said to me: 'Oh there's nothing you can do about plastic once it gets into the oceans,' and I wondered whether that was true."

Over the last 30 to 40 years, millions of tonnes of plastic have entered the oceans. Global production of plastic now stands at 288 million tonnes per year, of which 10% ends up in the ocean in time. Most of that - 80% - comes from land-based sources. Litter gets swept into drains, and ends up in rivers - so that plastic straw or cup lid you dropped, the cigarette butt you threw on the road… they could all end up in the sea.

The plastic is carried by currents and congregates in five revolving water systems, called gyres, in the major oceans, the most infamous being the huge Pacific Garbage Patch, half way between Hawaii and California.

Although the concentration of plastic in these areas is high - it's sometimes described as a plastic soup - it's still spread out over an area twice the size of Texas. What's more, the plastic does not stay in one spot, it rotates. These factors make a clean-up incredibly challenging.

"Most people have this image of an island of trash that you can almost walk on, but that's not what it's like," says Slat. "It stretches for millions of square kilometres - if you went there to try and clean up by ship it would take thousands of years." Not only that, it would be very costly in terms of both money and energy, and fish would be accidentally caught in the nets.

Slat had always enjoyed working out solutions to puzzles, and while pondering this one, it came to him - rather than chase plastic, why not harness the currents and wait for it to come to you?

At school, Slat developed his idea further as part of a science project. An array of floating barriers, anchored to the sea bed, would first catch and concentrate the floating debris. The plastic would move along the barriers towards a platform, where it could then be efficiently extracted. The ocean current would pass underneath the barriers, taking all buoyant sea life with it. There would be no emissions, and no nets for marine life to get entangled in. The collected ocean plastic would be recycled and made into products - or oil.

Computer animation of Boyan Slat's plastic catching system

The high school science project was awarded Best Technical Design at Delft University of Technology. For most teenagers, it would probably have ended there, but Slat was different. He had been interested in engineering from a very young age. "First I built tree houses, then zip-wires, then it evolved towards bigger things," he says. "By the time I was 13, I was very interested in rocketry." This led him to set a Guinness World Record for the most water rockets launched at the same time: 213, from a sports field in his native Delft. "The experience taught me how to get people crazy enough to do things you want, and how to approach sponsors." Useful skills, as it turned out.

When Slat began studying aerospace engineering at Delft University, the idea of cleaning up the oceans just wouldn't let him go - he says it niggled at him like "an asymmetrically positioned label" on a pair of boxer shorts. He set up a foundation, The Ocean Cleanup, and explained his concept in a TedX Talk: How the Oceans can Clean Themselves. Then, six months into his course, he made the decision to pause both university and social life to try make it a reality.

His entire budget consisted of 200 euros (£160) of saved-up pocket money, so he spent a few desolate months trying to get sponsorship. "It was so disheartening, because no-one was interested," he says. "I remember one day contacting 300 companies for sponsorship - only one replied, and that, too, resulted in a dead end."

But then something happened. On 26 March 2013, months after it had gone online, Slat's TedX talk went viral. "It was unbelievable," he says. "Suddenly we got hundreds of thousands of people clicking on our site every day. I received about 1,500 emails per day in my personal mailbox from people volunteering to help." He set up a crowd-funding platform that made $80,000 in 15 days.

Slat still doesn't know what made his idea take off like that, but he describes it as a great relief. "A year ago I wasn't sure it would succeed," he says. "But considering the size of the problem it was important to at least try."

The amount of plastic being discarded into the marine environment is such that we could eventually see an ocean where the amount of plastics is roughly one third the total biomass of fish - 1lb of plastic for every 2lbs of fish, according to Nicholas Mallos from Ocean Conservancy, which organises coastal clean-ups.

According to the UN Environment Programme there are on average 13,000 pieces of floating plastic per square kilometre of ocean - but that goes up to millions of pieces in the gyres. Many of these particles end up being accidentally ingested by marine animals, which can die of starvation because of the plastic filling their stomachs.

A decayed albatross carcass shows the amount of plastic it had ingested

Albatrosses are particularly vulnerable because they feed on the eggs of flying fish, which are attached to floating objects - now most likely a piece of plastic. Dr Jan Andries van Franeker from the Institute for Marine Resources an

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29631332

Old January 1st, 2015 #20
Lars Redoubt
Thomsonist-Frenzian

Don't follow trends -- MAKE THEM!!

Robert Frenz, FAEM, 06 May 2001

http://www.jrbooksonline.com/faem/adlib/2001/b0506.htm

Tags
white spirit

Thread