Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
This looks like a diving Jew to me.

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; August 27th, 2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo

Old August 27th, 2010 #22
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
'IT'S A WONDER' Suspected killer's fish lives after seven months alone in a townhouse
November 07, 2009 4:28 PM

MIRAMAR BEACH — When employees from Contractor’s Choice and members of the homeowners association walked into alleged murderer Danny Baker’s long-vacant townhouse, they expected to find mold. But they were shocked to find a fish had survived seven months without food or clean water.

The fish, which appears to be a plecostomus and blends in with the rocks in his large tank, was overlooked when police came into the home to remove Baker’s other fish and birds. He was almost overlooked a second time, as much of the water in his tank had evaporated, and the remaining water was black with filth by the time the townhouse was opened for cleaning.

“I was very upset because I thought the police had taken everything after Danny’s arrest,” said Dianne Richmond, vice president of the homeowner’s association. “This poor fish has been in that boiling house with no air conditioning and nothing to eat for about seven months.”

The first floor of the townhouse is dominated by a fish tank that is built into the wall and stretches almost the entire length of the living room. The remaining space is filled with a couch and four bunk beds, as well as two more fish tanks in a corner. Large bird cages, which according to a neighbor held birds that could recite prayers and say “I love you Danny,” cover the back patio.

The fish went unnoticed for so long because Baker’s home was closed to the homeowners association after his arrest in February for allegedly shooting five Chilean students in his Miramar Beach subdivision with a rifle. Two were killed and three were seriously injured before Baker barricaded himself in his townhouse. He surrendered to police the next morning, and is currently awaiting trial.

Months later as workers began the long process of cleaning and removing mold, the fiancee of Contractor’s Choice owner, David Fritz, noticed something moving in the tank. After sprinkling some fish food in the water, the plecostomus immediately moved for his first real meal in months.

Josh Olis, an account manager at Contractor’s Choice, said he didn’t believe it when his boss told him a fish was still living in that tank, and he had to see it for himself. After confirming the fish’s existence, he and the owner put about 50 gallons of water back in the tank. He said he would continue to make sure the fish was fed for as long as the company is working in the home.

“I think we’re going to accept him into the cleaning family for now,” Olis said. “He’s been living in that tank for so long, surviving off algae. I have so much respect for him, I had to name him.”

As of press time, the future of Theo, as Olis calls the survivor, was still up in the air. Richmond and employees from Contractor’s Choice said they will continue to care for him for now but hope to find someone to give him a permanent home.

“This poor fish has really worked for a new home,” Richmond said. “It’s a wonder he’s survived this.”

http://www.thedestinlog.com/news/won...mar-alone.html
My brother has had his for 15 years.

Last edited by Amy; December 8th, 2010 at 02:11 AM.

Old September 3rd, 2010 #23
Amy

Surfer films 2 Great Whites checking him out.

Pretty cool video. The sharks are not that big, 7 and 9 feet, but seaweed touching my leg scares the hell out of me, so who cares if they were "smallish."

Quote:
Big Wave surfer Chuck Patterson was stand up paddle surfing in San Clemente, CA when two sharks circled him for 15 minutes. So of course, he went back looking for them the next day.

"The day before I shot this video, I was SUP [stand up paddle] surfing with a couple friends and 2 sharks circled us for about 15 minutes. The next day, I decided to go back out at around More..the same time and take my camera mounted on a 10 ft pole and do some exploring. Sure enough within 5 minutes, a 9 ft shark came out of nowhere and circled twice and slapped his tail on my board before disappearing. Then a minute later, a 7 ft young juvenile Great White swam circles around me for 12 minutes."

Old September 4th, 2010 #24
Xuxalina Rihhia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbiker View Post
When I was kid, I loved fishing...100 meters from my house is river with
Brown trout...i loved to catch those brave and strong fishes.

In Slavonia, North part of Croatia, on river Danube, there is realy big fish...
Wels catfish

This "bastard" was captured in Vukovar...95 kilos...240 centemeters long (2,4 meters)
http://www.javno.com/hr-hrvatska/ulo...lograma/259755

And how is catfish hunts in Croatia?

People have smal river boats, then they catch small fish to use it as bait for catfish. Hunt is during night, when catfish took bait and hook itself, he drives boat across river....for many hours....during that "fish" drive, Croats usually drinks and sing. When catfish exost it's power, then fishermans rise it from river to surface ad kill it...

Once I must try that...whole night of riding in small boat with drunken guys

Only the flesh of young Silurus glanis (Wels) specimens is valued as food. It is palatable when the catfish weighs less than 15 kg (33 lb). Larger than this size, the fish is highly fatty and not recommended for consumption. The eggs are poisonous and should not be consumed.

Has anyone eaten the meat of a large wels?

Old November 23rd, 2011 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

Regulators steal fisherman of his 900-pound catch

Carlos Rafael of New Bedford, Massachusetts says there is something fishy with the way the US government regulates his job.

Rafael is a professional fisherman — or at least was — but is thinking of jumping ship after authorities told him to toss back the big one.

Rafael was recently out on his boat when his crew inadvertently snared an 881-pound tuna using a fishing net. It doesn’t take a marine biologist to know that that’s a pretty big fish, and at a near-record weight like that, Rafael stood to make around $400,000 off the beast’s meat.

In America, however, it isn’t always that easy.

Yes, Rafael had a permit — after all, he’s a professional. The fisherman had in fact purchased 15 tunas in the last four years, reports The Standard-Times. Those accreditations don’t apply to nets, however, says US regulators, so because Rafael didn’t use a rod and reel to land his catch, they scooped up the tuna and will keep the cash.

When the fisherman caught the fella, he called up a bluefin tuna telephone number maintained by fishery regulators to let them know about his big catch. He figured that by alerting them immediately, he’d be able to set up a deal just as quickly. "I wanted to sell the fish while it was fresh instead of letting it age on the boat," he says. Earlier this year, a fish only slightly smaller fetched $396,000 in Japan, so Rafael was eager to get the tuna onto land and eventually into the hands (and mouths) of consumers.

When the fish made its way to the shore, however, regulators were waiting.

http://rt.com/usa/news/fish-rafael-tuna-catch-085/

Old November 23rd, 2011 #26
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Yes, Rafael had a permit — after all, he’s a professional. The fisherman had in fact purchased 15 tunas in the last four years, reports The Standard-Times. Those accreditations don’t apply to nets, however, says US regulators, so because Rafael didn’t use a rod and reel to land his catch, they scooped up the tuna and will keep the cash.

When the fisherman caught the fella, he called up a bluefin tuna telephone number maintained by fishery regulators to let them know about his big catch. He figured that by alerting them immediately, he’d be able to set up a deal just as quickly. "I wanted to sell the fish while it was fresh instead of letting it age on the boat," he says. Earlier this year, a fish only slightly smaller fetched $396,000 in Japan, so Rafael was eager to get the tuna onto land and eventually into the hands (and mouths) of consumers.

Yeah, I bet they were.

Federal fishing regulation has all the wackiness of the environmentalists, plus all the blatant graft of. . .oh. . .19th century Nevada silver mining. That's on top of the 'normal' nightmare of dealing with government bureaucrats.

Old November 23rd, 2011 #27
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
Yeah, I bet they were.

Federal fishing regulation has all the wackiness of the environmentalists, plus all the blatant graft of. . .oh. . .19th century Nevada silver mining. That's on top of the 'normal' nightmare of dealing with government bureaucrats.
Bureaucracy gone mad and corrupt. The purpose of restricting or banning nets or gill nets is because commercial fishermen have a tendency to fish the fuck out of everything in sight thereby drawing down stocks and basically screwing it up for everybody and since new technology makes the nets larger and more efficient=mo money.

Then there is the battle between the commercial fishermen and the recreational fishermen with the recreational fishermen saying the commercial fishermen are over fishing and we ain't making no money.

In steps the feds to try and manage the mess and result is to fuck it up even more.

Old November 23rd, 2011 #28
keifer

Quote:
Regulators steal fisherman of his 900-pound catch

Carlos Rafael of New Bedford, Massachusetts says there is something fishy with the way the US government regulates his job.

Rafael is a professional fisherman — or at least was — but is thinking of jumping ship after authorities told him to toss back the big one.

Rafael was recently out on his boat when his crew inadvertently snared an 881-pound tuna using a fishing net. It doesn’t take a marine biologist to know that that’s a pretty big fish, and at a near-record weight like that, Rafael stood to make around $400,000 off the beast’s meat.

In America, however, it isn’t always that easy.

http://rt.com/usa/news/fish-rafael-tuna-catch-085/
Thats one old fish....not sure the meat would be worth a dime for quality, but apparently good enough for commercial market.

Old November 23rd, 2011 #29
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Are those figures right? That works out to over $450 per pound. Tuna's expensive, but it ain't that damn expensive.

Old November 23rd, 2011 #30
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Are those figures right? That works out to over $450 per pound. Tuna's expensive, but it ain't that damn expensive.
Yes, bluefin tuna is that expensive. Particularly prized for its use in sushi it sells for over $1,000 dollars per kilogram.

The most expensive bluefin tuna will be the last one in the sea.

Old November 23rd, 2011 #31
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
What Steve B says is right, far as I know, which aint far. But I've read more than once they pay hyperexorbitant prices for certain sealings in Japan.

Texas has a season on red snapper. Who knew?

Old August 23rd, 2012 #32
Alex Linder
Administrator

Hawaii woman reels in half-ton marlin after FOUR HOUR battle that lost her a world record after help from crew

Molly Palmer misses a world record for her 1022.5lb fish because of a rule prohibiting her from not reeling it in herself

By Daily Mail Reporter

23 August 2012

Hawaii woman reels in half-ton marlin after FOUR HOUR battle that lost her a world record after help from crew

A 5-foot-9-inch woman tournament fishing in Hawaii waters fought a 12-foot marlin more than four hours before getting it on her team's boat and weighing it at more than a half-ton — a would-be world record.

But 28-year-old Molly Palmer is missing out on the glory and thousands in tournament prize money for one pesky reason: Her team's honor code.

Palmer needed to reel in the fish by herself in order for it to qualify as a valid catch for the tournament, according to rules set by the International Game Fishing Association.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ld-record.html

Old September 3rd, 2012 #34
Alex Linder
Administrator

7 accused of fishing fraud in Texas tournament
The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012

SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas -- Investigators say seven people have been charged with fishing fraud in a South Texas tournament.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department game warden Jason Duke said Thursday that the suspects allegedly submitted a 2.6 pound flounder not caught during the contest.

The South Padre Island Chamber of Commerce sponsored the Aug. 10-12 Ladies Kingfish Tournament. Duke says the defendants won a $5,000 second-place prize.

Duke says warrants were served last weekend to four women who entered the tournament and three men. All have been arraigned and are free on bond.

The fraud in a fishing tournament charge is a third-degree felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

A message left with the chamber for comment was not immediately returned Thursday.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/23/475...-fraud-in.html

Old September 4th, 2012 #36
Nigel Thornberry
Ole' Cyber Crusher

'Penis-head' fish discovered in Vietnam

A new species of fish with a penis on its head has been identified in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam.

Phallostethus cuulong is the newest member of the Phallostethidae family — small fish found in Southeast Asian waters that are distinguished primarily by the positioning of the male sexual organ.

Male phallostethids have a copulatory organ, termed the priapium, under the throat for holding or clasping onto females and fertilising their eggs internally, according to conservationists.

"We have scientifically identified a new penis-head fish in Vietnam," researcher Tran Dac Dinh from Can Tho University told AFP.

The fish was known to Vietnamese people in the Mekong Delta but had not been described scientifically before a team identified the species last year, he said.

9News

Old December 3rd, 2012 #37
alex revision

New species of fish

A NEW species of fish has been named after President Barack Obama by the researchers who discovered it.

The freshwater fish has distinctive bright orange and blue colours and is generally found in fast-flowing rivers around America.

It is one of five new species of darter - the smallest member of the perch family - to be discovered in recent months. The remaining four species have been named after three other presidents and one vice-president.

The tiny fish - which are normally under 50mm in length - have been spotted by researchers from Geosyntec Consultants and Saint Louis University in waters in Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

New species of fish | The Nation

Old January 8th, 2013 #38
Alex Linder
Administrator

Fish story lands in NC's high court, $1M on line
By By EMERY P. DALESIO | Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — About four hours after the fishing charter boat Citation left dock on the Outer Banks to compete in one of the country's richest deep-sea fishing tournaments, crewmembers were in the fight of their lives. Something huge was hooked, but it was invisible to human sight as it dove for the ocean bottom about 27 miles off the North Carolina coast.

Five hours later they hauled up a monster, an 883-pound, 14-foot-long blue marlin. They knew the silvery-blue torpedo of muscle bigger than a bear would mean a huge payday in the June 2010 Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament when they recorded their catch in coastal Morehead City.

"When we finally saw it we couldn't believe it," the Citation's captain, Eric Holmes of Buxton, said at the time. "To catch a fish this big ... it's something. It really is. We got lucky and it's good to be lucky."

But their luck soured. The boat's owners landed in a fight for the $910,000 in prize money that continued Tuesday with arguments to North Carolina's Supreme Court.

Tournament officials disqualified the Citation's crew because the 22-year-old first mate, Peter Wann of Alexandria, Va., did not have a $15 North Carolina fishing license when the fish was hooked. His license was purchased while the Citation was still two hours out to sea and chugging toward a landing.

Tournament rules state that a fishing license is required for everyone aboard a participating vessel, said E. Bradley Evans, a lawyer for the contest's organizers. That rule was also emphasized at a pre-tournament meeting that Holmes and Wann did not attend.

The non-profit group that runs the tournament has no gain in disqualifying the Citation, but did so to protect the contest's integrity, Evans said.

"If none of the rules are material, then people could take rifles and shoot fish. They could fish at any hours of the day if they want to," Evans said. He said the rules were critical to the operation of the tournament and the most important aspect.

Wann thought the Citation had a blanket license that covered the entire crew, and when he found out there may have been a question if his license was active he got online while still miles at sea and bought another while still outside the state's territorial waters, which extend three miles from shore, said Darren Jackson, an attorney for the boat's owners.

"Maybe it was just luck that they happened to have a computer with internet access out in the middle of the ocean, but they did. And they did get the license," Jackson said.

State regulators couldn't decide when or if Wann violated state fishing laws and had to amend the citation they issued the mate, Jackson said. While one tournament rule said North Carolina required a recreational fishing license for anyone aboard, the language didn't state that failing to follow the state law could lead to disqualification from the contest, Jackson said. Disqualification for violating the fishing license rule was as unreasonable as if the same punishment were leveled for other violations that didn't tilt the competition, like going too fast in a "no wake" zone or failing to have the proper number of lifejackets on board.

"They applied this provision with the most drastic remedy they could," Jackson said. "It's the ultimate decision. It's their death penalty, so to speak. I would argue to you that's the height of arbitrariness."

The high court should send the case back for a jury to decide, Jackson said, not let stand a lower-court ruling that he said doesn't pass the smell test.

The Citation's lawsuit to reclaim its winnings was dismissed after it was transferred to the county where the tournament is based, and after local Superior Court Judge John Nobles Jr. decided its merits without a jury. Only just before the hearing did the Citation's lawyers learn that Nobles was the former law partner and vacation buddy of the attorney representing the boat finishing second after Citation.

Claud Wheatly III and Nobles had taken several vacations together, including during the time the lawsuit had been under way, the Citation's lawyers said. Owners of the second-place Carnivore stand to divide $999,453 after taking the winner's share and part of the third-place money.

Wheatly noted to the high court that Citation's lawyers have no evidence that Nobles displayed any prejudice or bias in the case.

http://news.yahoo.com/fish-story-lan...093532675.html

Old January 8th, 2013 #39
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Money, intrigue, and fish. Who says administrative and admiralty law aren't sexy?

Last edited by Leonard Rouse; January 8th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Old January 9th, 2013 #40
fossilator

I sold this photo on ebay a few years ago. Guess who?

Thread