Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 16th, 2014 #22
N.B. Forrest

They're gonna need a bigger boat.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old April 16th, 2014 #23
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I don't think you get much offense when you're playing with bears. Maybe panthers, but the bear is going to knock you down with one swipe and then bite the back of your skull and/or claw your face/scalp off. Curl up and protect your vitals is about it, I think. Once it's on you. Before that, I think you can bluff them. Stand still, try to appear big. They will make bluff runs. But if you run from them, that can trigger prey instincts.
Yeah, I know about the Fetal Defense, but that's supposedly just for griz, pilgrim: the Experts say if a black bear attacks (a far less likely thing), it means to eat your ass, period, so the best thing is to fight to remain off the menu.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old April 17th, 2014 #24
Squarehead Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Yeah, I know about the Fetal Defense, but that's supposedly just for griz, pilgrim: the Experts say if a black bear attacks (a far less likely thing), it means to eat your ass, period, so the best thing is to fight to remain off the menu.
I'm not sure about that.
I've lived in "bear country" nearly all my life in a few different states.
I've been told that black bears rarely chew on their human victims.
Brown (Grizzly) bears will gnaw on you but usually not totally consume you.
(See Alex's posts about the idiotic "Grizzly Man").

I actually lived and fished out of the town of Kodiak, on Kodiak Island for around 3 1/2 years.
So I've seen my share of the fabled "Kodiak Brownies".
Big and fearsome to be sure.

But the bear that will totally consume you is the Polar Bear.
They are necessitous creatures, so they don't waste.

When I lived in Alaska, there was a North Slope oil worker who had gone missing.
All they ever found of him was one of his boots... with his foot still in it!
YIKES!

Last edited by Squarehead Chris; April 17th, 2014 at 01:27 AM.

Old April 17th, 2014 #25
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarehead Chris View Post
I'm not sure about that.
I've lived in "bear country" nearly all my life in a few different states.
I've been told that black bears rarely chew on their human victims.
Brown (Grizzly) bears will gnaw on you but usually not totally consume you.
(See Alex's posts about the idiotic "Grizzly Man").

I actually lived and fished out of the town of Kodiak, on Kodiak Island for around 3 1/2 years.
So I've seen my share of the fabled "Kodiak Brownies".
Big and fearsome to be sure.

But the bear that will totally consume you is the Polar Bear.
They are necessitous creatures, so they don't waste.

When I lived in Alaska, there was a North Slope oil worker who had gone missing.
All they ever found of him was one of his boots... with his foot still in it!
YIKES!
Yeah, the polar bear is the most dangerous of all: absolutely no fear of humans. Woe unto any poor gunless bastard confronted by one.

Old May 16th, 2014 #27
Alex Linder
Administrator

Surfers survive great white shark attack

May 15, 2014, 1:13 pm

Three surfers who had a close encounter with a great white shark off the South Australian coast yesterday has been undeterred by the attack and returned to the water this morning.

Andrew McLeod, 35, and two of his mates were surfing 2km off the coast of Elliston, on Eyre Peninsula, when the great white made its move yesterday morning.

Mr McLeod said he was paddling on his board when he was hit from below by the shark.

"Out of nowhere a massive impact like a car crash came from underneath me," he said.

"I swam back over to my board and the pointer was still hanging around and I could see its tail fin, it was about four or five foot high."

Surfer Andrew McLeod shows the huge chunk that was taken out of his board by the monster shark.

He estimated the great white to be about 4.5 metres long.

It even left two bite marks on his board, along with some blood stains.

He and his mates bunched together and waited anxiously for the next wave to take them to shore while the shark circled.

“Probably the most full-on situation I’ve seen with sharks,” Tyrone Swann said.

And the incident has not deterred the group from the water.

When a 7News journalist made the trip to the Eyre Peninsula to speak with them today, she received a voicemail saying they had gone out surfing and would be back in a few hours.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/23529...-shark-attack/

Old May 16th, 2014 #28
N.B. Forrest

If you swim in the ocean in Australia or South Africa, you're asking for it.

Old May 16th, 2014 #29
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
If you swim in the ocean in Australia or South Africa, you're asking for it.
2,000 meters offshore. That's their area.

Old May 17th, 2014 #30
Holocaust Minimalism
Banned

San Francisco Bay Area is super infested too. PBS awhile ago did a doc on wharves fisherman getting struck by Great Whites while out doing their jobs in small boats.

There's spots for tourists in the Bay Area to feed some colonies of seals. And when they keep coming back for more human food, they sharks are gonna join too, for both seal and human flesh.

Old May 17th, 2014 #31
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
2,000 meters offshore. That's their area.
Don't a lot of shark attacks take place in knee-deep water? Probably not huge Great Whites, though.

Then there's bull sharks: those bastards enter fresh water rivers. I've heard that they're being caught in the Mississippi.

Old May 17th, 2014 #32
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Don't a lot of shark attacks take place in knee-deep water? Probably not huge Great Whites, though.
yeah, some do. if you're in the water, you're game. i read all shark attack books when i was a kid, sharks attack lots of people barely in the water. sharks basically cruise up and down the shore at sunrise and sunset.

Quote:
Then there's bull sharks: those bastards enter fresh water rivers. I've heard that they're being caught in the Mississippi.
wouldn't be surprised. it's not like it's super clear where one becomes the other. that Hellpig Rodeo had some great stuff on fishing down there, and weird stuff they saw, out of place sharks and such.

a lot isn't known, and a lot that is known is bogus, and a lot of what's bogus is basically the same sort of of bullshit extenuations leftists make for niggers put on sharks. oh, they won't eat humans. would hear of it. find us disgusting.

yeah um...fish will pretty much eat anything they can get in their mouths. anyone who has gone fishing can see that.

Old May 17th, 2014 #33
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
yeah, some do. if you're in the water, you're game. i read all shark attack books when i was a kid, sharks attack lots of people barely in the water. sharks basically cruise up and down the shore at sunrise and sunset.
Yes, I've read that, too, but it's obviously not a hard rule. And it would be great if there were such for avoiding those ravenous jaws.

By now one would imagine that they'd have developed an electronic shark repellant that would keep the fuckers off; I've heard about them, but not that they're a sure thing. Then there's that black & white striped swimsuit idea that mimics a kind of fish that sharks don't attack....

It would be nice if a person could swim in the ocean without having to worry about anything but drowning.

Old May 17th, 2014 #34
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, I've read that, too, but it's obviously not a hard rule. And it would be great if there were such for avoiding those ravenous jaws.

By now one would imagine that they'd have developed an electronic shark repellant that would keep the fuckers off; I've heard about them, but not that they're a sure thing. Then there's that black & white striped swimsuit idea that mimics a kind of fish that sharks don't attack....

It would be nice if a person could swim in the ocean without having to worry about anything but drowning.
Some beaches, such as those in South Padre, have a succeeding series of sandbars, the water between which is increasingly deep, and the waves increasingly powerful. Very easy to drown, happens every year, with the undertow.

I think the great whites are generally at least a few hundred meters offshore, and in colder water, but sometimes they come closer. Plenty of other sharks, smaller ones, come a lot closer than that. People are surfcasting or simply wading in and fishing 30-40 yards out, and they catch sea trout or other gamefish, so there's no reason sharks wouldn't be in the area since their food is.

Old May 19th, 2014 #35
Alex Linder
Administrator

[as NBF mentioned, and just as in Australia, bull sharks are moving into fresh water, looking for tasty abos, jews, or niggers proper, but in less than a pinch they'll settle for not-so-little ol' YOU.]

2 bull sharks caught in Potomac River

Aug 21, 2013

One of few truly ugly sharks, does not look like a toothmouth that can be reasoned with, with its brutish snout and angry cat's eyes.

For the second time in three years, fishermen in southern Maryland have pulled in a shark from the most unlikely place -- the Potomac River. Actually they caught two sharks.

Fisherman Richard Riche got quite the shock when he tried to haul them in.

"It was a surprise, coming face-to-face with two big sharks. Lots of excitement," says Riche.

This is the second time Greg Dean has hauled in a shark off Point Lookout. He and his dad, Willy, caught one in almost the same spot in 2010.

“There are definitely sharks in the Potomac," Dean says.

The first shark was pretty close to death when it was discovered Tuesday. But the second one, eight feet long and over 200 pounds, put up quite a fight.

“It was a challenge to get him in the boat, but we got him," says fisherman Patrick Ridgell.

A Maryland Department of Natural Resources biologist was on board when the sharks were hauled in and will be looking in to why these dangerous, testosterone-fueled bull sharks, known to bite swimmers, were in the Potomac.

Greg Dean's advice is "to always be careful and never swim at night or in the morning when the sharks are feeding."

There has never been a reported shark attack in Maryland history.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2320299...#ixzz32C1oUHTI

Old May 19th, 2014 #36
N.B. Forrest

In the POTOMAC?! The Mighty Mississip is one thing; I mean, hey - it's not too close to here - but now this shit is getting Serious....

How long will it take the fleet to move from Norfolk?

Old May 19th, 2014 #37
N.B. Forrest

Bulls are considered by those who know to be the most dangerous of all sharks, worse than even the Big Boy.

Old May 20th, 2014 #38
Holocaust Minimalism
Banned

Bull shark males have the highest per capita of testosterone of all Animalia, the ones in Africa do, but it's the hippos that take the number #1 spot in killing hundreds of niggers in the Congo each year.

Old May 20th, 2014 #39
Alex Linder
Administrator

Woman walks 2 miles seeking help after bear attack

JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska - A woman attacked by a brown bear on an Anchorage military base struggled to walk 2 miles on a windy, uphill path to get help, officials said Monday.

The woman's efforts to get aid after a 7- to 8-foot bear swiped at her were nothing short of heroic, Mark Sledge, base conservation law enforcement officer, said at a news conference.

The woman, who has asked that her identity not be released, suffered lacerations to her neck, arms and legs and was hospitalized in stable condition at the Alaska Native Medical Center, Maj. Angela Webb told The Associated Press.

Sledge said the woman is lucky to be alive and adds that her will to survive is "just amazing."

The woman and her soldier husband were jogging late Sunday morning on the northern part of the base when they became separated. The woman happened upon the bear, which had two cubs with her.

"They had essentially startled one another," Webb said.

The bear swiped at her once.

A passer-by picked up the woman and took her to the base hospital. She was later transferred to the Anchorage facility.

"It was very quick, and she didn't remember much," Webb said of the attack and what the woman could recall.

The woman set out to get help and walked for 2 miles before a passer-by picked her up and took her to the base hospital. She was later transferred to the Anchorage facility.

Base officials have closed recreational areas around the part of the base where the attack took place, and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson police are asking anyone to come forward if they witnessed the encounter.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-wa...r-bear-attack/

Old May 25th, 2014 #40
Alex Linder
Administrator

Horrified workers find Filipino fisherman being EATEN by crocodile after he got caught adrift in infested river waters

- The Filipino was found wedged between the crocodile's jaws
- Coast Guard shot the reptile in bid to save him but he was already dead
- A man was also killed in the same area in 2011 by a crocodile

By DANIEL MILLS
25 May 2014

A crocodile which killed a Filipino fisherman still had the body locked in the jaws of its mouth when coast guard workers stumbled across the gruesome discovery.

Workers shot the crocodile in an attempt to free the man, who was wedged between the jaws of its mouth while still dangling to a rope attached to his fishing vessel.

He was discovered on Thursday by the coast guard in the infested waters of the Rio Tuba river, about 710km from the capital of Manila.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz32ki6cr7Q

Thread