VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old February 4th, 2013 #1
Ava Dawn
Insomniac

Default 'Vikings' premiere in March.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/history-s...iere-for-march

I'm looking forward to this. It's from Michael Hirst who did The Tudors. Anyone plan to watch?

Old February 4th, 2013 #2
Simmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Dawn View Post
http://www.hitfix.com/news/history-s...iere-for-march

I'm looking forward to this. It's from Michael Hirst who did The Tudors. Anyone plan to watch?
Is this TV or movie?

Old February 4th, 2013 #3
Ava Dawn
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmon View Post
Is this TV or movie?
TV. It's a series.

Old February 4th, 2013 #4
Simmon

Hmm, I might check it out.

Old February 4th, 2013 #5
Jason 916
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The commercial just aired on the History Channel, coincidentally enough. Looks good, I'll watch it and see how they handle it.

Old February 4th, 2013 #6
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

Anyone care to bet when the Viking Niggers will show up?

Old February 4th, 2013 #7
Rick Ronsavelle

Default preview clips

Looks like Hostory Channel is trying to capture a bit of that Game of Thrones and Spartacus magic that HBO and Starz have. In truth, we don’t mind because their upcoming show, Vikings, actually looks pretty good.

We’ve got a few preview clips from the show to share with you today. In them you’ll get “a taste of the intense drama” the show will bring. The next two previews introduce some of the main characters: “the warrior shield maiden, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick) and the ruler, Earl (Gabriel Byrne). One, fighting for what she believes and the other fighting to hold onto the power he can’t stand to lose.”

The last clip is, well, you’ll just have to watch it. Vikings premieres 3.3.13 @ 10/9c on History Channel.

http://theflickcast.com/2013/02/01/c...-show-vikings/

Last edited by Rick Ronsavelle; February 4th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Old March 3rd, 2013 #8
Ava Dawn
Insomniac

Bump to remind people. It's coming on tonight at 10:00 pm eastern time.

Old March 4th, 2013 #9
varg

Default season 1 episode 1

Watch:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/462374

or
http://bit.ly/13AP6Ew

Last edited by varg; March 4th, 2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: .

Old March 4th, 2013 #10
varg

Default season 1 episode 2

Watch episode 2 - Wrath of the Norsemen

http://www.hulu.com/watch/462490

I thoroughly enjoyed the Lindisfarne scene where they kill a bunch of Christians.

As they used to say, "Save us, O Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"

Last edited by varg; March 4th, 2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: ..

Old March 4th, 2013 #11
varg

So far no nigs or overt jewish propaganda. I like it.

The only scene I disliked was where they show the nose-blowing in a communal water bowl. They showed the same thing in the movie 13th Warrior. I believe that account comes from Ahmed ibn Fadlan, which I think was exaggerated and biased.

Quote:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ibn_fdln.shtml

§ 84. Every day they must wash their faces and heads and this they do in the dirtiest and filthiest fashion possible: to wit, every morning a girl servant brings a great basin of water; she offers this to her master and he washes his hands and face and his hair -- he washes it and combs it out with a comb in the water; then he blows his nose and spits into the basin. When he has finished, the servant carries the basin to the next person, who does likewise. She carries the basin thus to all the household in turn, and each blows his nose, spits, and washes his face and hair in it.

Note: Ibn Fadlan's main source of disgust with the Rus bathing customs have to do with his Islamic faith, which requires a pious Mohammedan to wash only in running water or water poured from a container so that the rinsings do not again touch the bather. The sagas often describe a woman washing a man's hair for him, often as a gesture of affection. It would be likely that the basin was actually emptied between each bath: Ibn Fadlan would still have felt the basin contaminated by previous use. It does seem here that Ibn Fadlan may be exaggerating a bit for effect.
Oh and Ragnar saves the Monk from being killed. I don't know where they're going with that. Hopefully they don't make him into a character we're supposed to feel sympathy for, or that he teaches them important lessons from his Babble. They did portray the monks as effeminate weaklings though, so I hope they don't try to redeem him.

Last edited by varg; March 4th, 2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: .

Old March 4th, 2013 #12
Brooklyn Rick

The dog's gotta eat, too...............

Old March 5th, 2013 #13
Fred
Commie Killer

I only watched a few minutes of an episode.

What I didn't like.

Filmed in dreary colors. All movies of Whites in the past are in dreary colors.
Whites were dirty and had no hygiene whatsoever.
Whites had silly gods and morals and were nothing but animals

It may be a good show. I just could not take the little I saw. I may try it again.

Old March 6th, 2013 #14
Hans Norling
Randomly mutated kveldúlfr

I noticed this on a swedish link to an HBO trailer of it (yes, HBO). I don't have HBO and, partly because I am a bit convenient and skeptical, I do not plan to make any tremendous effort into seeing it (unless it makes its way here to Sweden more firmly).

Old March 6th, 2013 #15
varg

HBO?

It's a History channel show.

You can see it from this link: http://www.putlocker.com/file/2CAABA40CCE288BA

It's not as bad as you'd expect

Old March 6th, 2013 #16
Hans Norling

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
HBO?

It's a History channel show.

You can see it from this link: http://www.putlocker.com/file/2CAABA40CCE288BA

It's not as bad as you'd expect
Yes HBO Nordic it would seem (just checked). It seems HBO bought it from the History Channel. Either way, I don't watch tv that often. I always enjoy good depiction of old norse communities, life and adventures but in most cases they are disappointing. But when they're not, they tend be great. As it is, I've yet to see a really good non-scandinavian/islandic-made depiction of norse/viking drama et al (there are some decent ones but not many, and none of them are super imo). I'll try to catch it though sooner or later.

Old March 6th, 2013 #17
Karl Radl
The Epitome of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Norling View Post
Yes HBO Nordic it would seem (just checked). It seems HBO bought it from the History Channel. Either way, I don't watch tv that often. I always enjoy good depiction of old norse communities, life and adventures but in most cases they are disappointing. But when they're not, they tend be great. As it is, I've yet to see a really good non-scandinavian/islandic-made depiction of norse/viking drama et al (there are some decent ones but not many, and none of them are super imo). I'll try to catch it though sooner or later.
They also can't beat the traditional European cinema, which is just so much better to watch than overproduced Hollywood rubbish. I mean compare the Arn (which is quite anti-Christian if you stop to think about the fundamental story line) to the god-awful Hollywood 'hate Europe' fest called 'Kingdom of Heaven'.

Based on the same book but radically different output.

I didn't know they were doing something with the Vikings (surprising in a sense but I suppose not after Rome and Spartacus) but I'll be interested to see how far they go with it or whether as Varg seems to think they'll introduce the 'good Christians' into the mix (possibly to gain more viewers) much as they had that really fucking annoying and a-historical jew 'turned back to Yahweh' in Rome.

Old March 6th, 2013 #18
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Betting they'll introduce a "Pan Am" degree of twist to foil the hopeful implicit aryans tuning in.

'Good' christians? 'Black' vikings? ... A looted and burning synagogue?

Don't put anything past them.

Old March 7th, 2013 #19
Crowe

I watched the first episode, it seems like a cool show. I'll keep watching it as long as they don't include diversity in the movie.

Hopefully in a later episode we get to see them split the skulls of some queer bait Xian monks. . Now that is what I call entertainment!

Old March 7th, 2013 #20
Hans Norling

What I would prefer to see, with regards to the 'viking-era', would be their raid-or-trade excursions downward to the Middle East (they got as far as to Bagdad). Typical for viking trade-or-raid parties was the adaptive sense of using, even at the time, crudish, basic but cleverly applied leverage. They could send a minor group ahead to a settlement or a town and barter with the officials. Then, if it was perceived apt, possible or desirable, they'd send in another larger and completely different group at night or dawn and just go haywire like in true viking fashion. If local concern spread, the party would habitually blame some renegade faction of theirs and then claim they had been delt with.

To an extent, it sounds a bit barbarically petty for it to have worked so well but... it was highly effective and helped them to maintain the image (abroad) of being merchants and madmen alike. I suspect these strategies evolved by some necessity, coupled with their ability. Even Tacitus noted on the fact that they ('svioner' I believe, i.e mainland Sweden) loved their weapons of arms as much as their personally assembled treasures and would securely lock both of the above in a chest or in a basement hideout as night came along.

Tags
history, vikings

Thread