VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 15th, 2013 #1
Cora McGuire

Default Race, Slavery and Fluoride in Edmonton

Quote:
EDMONTON -- An Edmonton mayoral candidate is in hot water after offending a fellow council contender -- and proud black woman -- with a "slave" reference on Twitter.

Curtis Penner, running for mayor in October's election, was embroiled ina heated Twitter debate about the use of fluoride in drinking water when he made the comment.

He said he was using the idea of slavery as an extreme example to prove a point in an argument with Edmontonian Don Martin, known as @donmartinyeg on Twitter, against the practice.

He ended up tweeting his comments to Ward 7 candidate Mimi Williams after she remarked Saturday on the fluoride debate dominating Twitter's election feed (#yegvote).

"@willmimi Fluoride at root is a social justice issue. Does democracy give a majority the right to deny a minority's needs (water)," he wrote to Williams Sunday morning.

When Martin replied, "Yes, Chris it does," Penner followed up with the comment in question.
"@DonMartinYEG So you feel there are no inalienable rights? What about if we voted that you should be our slave? #yegvote cc @willmimi".

Williams, a human rights activist with African-American heritage, is incensed by the analogy.
"I think it was completely insensitive," she said Monday. "I can't imagine why anyone, whether they are trying to make their point or not, would make such a racially charged statement."

But Penner is adamant the comment was not meant to have racial connotations. He was hoping to demonstrate why the minority's opinions should still factor into a democracy by "extrapolating the argument to the extreme in order to highlight the flaw in the argument."

"It was a question; can the majority of the democracy vote for the wants of the many over the rights of the few?" Penner said. "When his reply was 'yes,' this fellow was basically saying a democracy should be able to vote away anyone's inalienable rights."

Penner says he picked a random, extreme situation -- slavery -- in order to "force Martin to see why his argument was not tenable."

Now, Williams is urging council candidates to be cautious about what the say on social media and have a care for who it could offend.

"You can't say, 'I didn't think somebody who is black might be offended by that'," she said.

"I don't know if he was baiting me, to join in the discussion or not -- but to add me in to the slavery comment shows some pretty bad judgment."

The silver lining, in Williams opinion, is the comment seemed to spark a subsequent debate on whether or not using slavery as a argument is acceptable.

"His justification to me is lame; but if he has, in a round about way, caused us to have conversations about racism, that's a good thing," she said.
I saw this guy's photo and thought he looked good, like a real celtic type, but alas, it turns out he is a mixer:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...15-170253.html

Old July 16th, 2013 #2
M. Gerard

Tragic. He threw it all away.

Old July 16th, 2013 #3
John from Canada
Banned

She doesn't look "African-American" to me.

http://mimiwilliams.ca/Home.html

Old July 16th, 2013 #4
Cora McGuire

She does to me.

Old July 16th, 2013 #5
John from Canada
Banned

Williams, a human rights activist with African-American heritage

Old July 17th, 2013 #6
Cora McGuire

You don't think her face screams "half-breed"?

I do, lol....she looks like a negress to me.

Old July 17th, 2013 #7
John from Canada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora McGuire View Post
You don't think her face screams "half-breed"?

I do, lol....she looks like a negress to me.
She looks more Jewish than African. Her face is probably screaming "vote for me and I'll make your life a living hell".

Old July 17th, 2013 #8
Cora McGuire

Quote:
"vote for me and I'll make your life a living hell".
I'm with you there!

Old July 17th, 2013 #9
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora McGuire View Post

I saw this guy's photo and thought he looked good, like a real celtic type, but alas, it turns out he is a mixer:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...15-170253.html
I don't think Celts have read hair except through Viking admixture.

Tags
curtis penner, edmonton, flouride, mimi williams, slavery

Thread