Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 21st, 2008 #1
Joe Snuffy

Default "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" Do I want it??

Need some help from all you computer wizards. Is this an update that I want to install or should I decline it?

Old November 21st, 2008 #2
Charles Martel
Banned

Location: The origins of jewish egalitarianism lies within the precepts of christianity itself.

Use a debugger and try to figure out what it does. I would not trust it though.

Old November 21st, 2008 #3
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
Need some help from all you computer wizards. Is this an update that I want to install or should I decline it?
I don't know but my computer update itself with that update too. It is Vista right? I can't find an icon for it anywhere though and don't see that tool listed in the Windows Security Center.

I remember being able to download such a tool or program for XP and one could actually run a program called Malicious Software Removal.

Old November 21st, 2008 #4
Joe Snuffy

It is XP. I just barely remember a post somewhere advising not to install an XYZ update cause it will remove all unlicensed software or something like that. I am not even sure if the advice given was for windows or something else. Sorry I can't be more specific. It is possible that it could have been for Adobe.

Old November 21st, 2008 #5
Joe Snuffy

Unlike other automatic updates from microsoft this one requires me to accept license terms.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #6
Mark
Banned

You don't need it, just get some third-party anti-virus and firewall software.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #7
Karl Von Clausewitz!
Banned

Quote:
Don't know if you were around when XP was just released...anyway a Worm went around the internet intruding XP machines and bringing forward a message under the guise of "Administrative" authority..alerting users that an error had been detected and that "shut down will commence in 1 minute". These "Malicious software removal" programs are a response to several programs that were subsequently released after that original.

Not just limited to that though, it sweeps for various other worms and viruses....Mark is correct though, you don't particularly need it, a good antivirus program like Avira is more than sufficient for the job.

Quote:
It is XP. I just barely remember a post somewhere advising not to install an XYZ update cause it will remove all unlicensed software or something like that.
Hmm I know the Windows Genuine Advantage program does that. But not for all software that isn't lisenced just Windows Software...lol.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #8
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
It is XP. I just barely remember a post somewhere advising not to install an XYZ update cause it will remove all unlicensed software or something like that. I am not even sure if the advice given was for windows or something else. Sorry I can't be more specific. It is possible that it could have been for Adobe.
If it's XP Joe you're safe to download that one. After installed there will be an icon available in your start menu that will allow you to run the program manually. It also, if memory serves me correct, runs when Windows starts.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #9
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
You don't need it, just get some third-party anti-virus and firewall software.
It's not a requirement. I would recommend you use Comodo Firewall Pro (free) and AVG Antivirus Free Version. These are two of my main security programs.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #10
Bob R.

Quote:
I would get it and try it, the fact is, Microsoft software SHOULD work best with their own operating system, although it's not always the case for some reason.

I hate ALL anti-virus software, it ALL slogs down your computer all the time and is a pain in the ass. Windows LiveOne Care seemed magnificent by contrast to shit like Norton and McAfee, which are horrendous and stupid.

Consumer Reports rates BitDefender the best anti-virus software, and it's free, the online scan is. I've run it several times and it catches crap the others miss.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #11
Jett Rink
Banned

Why would anyone still be running windows in 2008?

Old November 22nd, 2008 #12
Mark
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
It's not a requirement. I would recommend you use Comodo Firewall Pro (free) and AVG Antivirus Free Version. These are two of my main security programs.
Comodo is good if you want to lock down your computer so you can barely use it. I suggest a less aggressive firewall like PC Tools Firewall Plus or Zone Alarm.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #13
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Comodo is good if you want to lock down your computer so you can barely use it. I suggest a less aggressive firewall like PC Tools Firewall Plus or Zone Alarm.
ZoneAlarm is jew software. Stick with Comodo Firewall Pro people. A firewall is supposed to be difficult to penetrate. In or out. Comodo is not that difficult to use and there is the help file if you have questions.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #14
Jett Rink
Banned

If you are running windows the government can read everything on your computer, firewall or not.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #15
Mark
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
If you are running windows the government can read everything on your computer, firewall or not.
That's a good one, I laughed out loud.

If the government wants to read anything on your computer they'll just knock down your down early in the morning and take everything you've got.

Old November 22nd, 2008 #16
Mark
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
ZoneAlarm is jew software. Stick with Comodo Firewall Pro people. A firewall is supposed to be difficult to penetrate. In or out. Comodo is not that difficult to use and there is the help file if you have questions.
The creator of Comodo, Melih Abdulhayoglu, isn't exactly white.

Old November 23rd, 2008 #17
Mark Kerpolt

Quote:
The creator of Comodo, Melih Abdülheyoğlu, isn't exactly white.
It's a Turk.

Old November 23rd, 2008 #18
Art Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
Why would anyone still be running windows in 2008?
There's some fairly decent bootlegs available.There are, in fact,some conditions under which windows is more useful than Linux.A double boot system works fine for me.

Old November 24th, 2008 #19
Joe Snuffy

Well, thanks for the input everyone.

Old November 28th, 2008 #20
Brett Quinn
Banned

If you mean Windows Defender, get it, yes.

Thread