VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 31st, 2011 #1
N.M. Valdez
SMASH THE FASH

Default 'Ebonics'

A significant number of you on this forum routinely disparage African-American Vernacular English (AAVE), or "ebonics," as "bad English" or based on "corruption" of "proper English. As I've attempted to explain, ebonics is a dialect as legitimate as any other.

Modern English was formed through alteration of its West Germanic ancestor imported to Britain by the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes with Celtic and Latin influence. There is no "correct" form of English other than the mutually intelligible vernacular created among given speakers. Moreover, as implied earlier in the thread, "ebonics" possesses numerous lexical and syntactical similarities with Southern American English; it's merely a phenomenon of sociological prejudice that one is identified as a "dialect" while the other is identified as "bad English."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekUHgR1otDI

At about 3:04, Reverend Wright begins to speak to the NAACP about this double standard, and the stigmatization of African-American Vernacular English (AAVE). This is the book that he references:

Amazon.com: Talkin and Testifyin: The Language of Black America (Waynebook, 51) (9780814318058): Geneva Smitherman: Books Amazon.com: Talkin and Testifyin: The Language of Black America (Waynebook, 51) (9780814318058): Geneva Smitherman: Books

Another book of interest is Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold History of English.

Amazon.com: Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold Story of English (9781592403950): John McWhorter: Books Amazon.com: Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold Story of English (9781592403950): John McWhorter: Books

Its author is linguist
John_McWhorter John_McWhorter

Old May 31st, 2011 #2
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

LOL You are so intent on showing "us" how wrong we are and use that idiot as an example?

You don't get it do you? This is just another way for the niggers to try and justify their mental laziness and ignorance. Period. Cut and paste away all night, it will not change my mind.

Old May 31st, 2011 #3
N.M. Valdez
SMASH THE FASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Kiley View Post
LOL You are so intent on showing "us" how wrong we are and use that idiot as an example?

You don't get it do you? This is just another way for the niggers to try and justify their mental laziness and ignorance. Period. Cut and paste away all night, it will not change my mind.
Why you always be trippin, lil homegirl?

Old May 31st, 2011 #4
J. Kerr
Whats next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.M. Valdez View Post
A significant number of you on this forum routinely disparage African-American Vernacular English (AAVE), or "ebonics," as "bad English" or based on "corruption" of "proper English. As I've attempted to explain, ebonics is a dialect as legitimate as any other.
Good one chief!
No one can say you dont have a sense of humor!

Old May 31st, 2011 #5
N.M. Valdez
SMASH THE FASH

I didn't expect any actual refutations of the arguments posted. The users on this forum are simply not that intelligent.

Old May 31st, 2011 #6
Mr. Bowmont

Where can i buy my Hooked-On-Ebonics for my children?

Old May 31st, 2011 #7
Dale VanderMeer
Your Pro-White Neighbor...

In "ebonics" there is no elocution of the English language. It's all gibberish.
It's made up uninteligent words and sloppy speaking. It is poor grammar.

Here's your "ebonics" lesson, you peyote smoking wagon burner.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bowmont View Post
YouTube - ‪Ebonics Language Lesson‬‏

Where can i buy my Hooked-On-Ebonics for my children?

Old May 31st, 2011 #8
Kamerad Q

Quote:
I didn't expect any actual refutations of the arguments posted. The users on this forum are simply not that intelligent.
When you've actual made an honest argument you will find yourself in agreement, until then you will continue to display a heightened sense of irony. Huff, puff, and bluff your way to conquest, stand proud next to a doorjamb while making smoke signals of inadequacy, just remember your place on the totem pole is where you carved it chief Two Feathers.

"As I've attempted to explain, ebonics is a dialect as legitimate as any other."

So what? Niggeronics is for Niggers, as its speakers find it an agreeable bastardization of the King's English. When a word or phrase becomes popular it legitimizes itself in the common tongue because English is still a living language. Is Nigger a legitimate word, or is it Nigga in Niggeronics? You are a hanger-on-the-fort squaw, tripped by power tripping when you should be on a spirit quest, because whatever you attached yourself to is feeble.

Old June 1st, 2011 #9
Ian

Quote:

Modern English was formed through alteration of its West Germanic ancestor imported to Britain by the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes with Celtic and Latin influence. There is no "correct" form of English other than the mutually intelligible vernacular created among given speakers.
It was you who used the word ''corruption'', saying English was a corruption of German.

You can apply the idea of no correct version to other languages too. The only possible exception I can think of would be Arabic, where Qu'ran Arabic is considered absolutely correct. So millions of colloquial Arabic speakers are not speaking ''correct'' Arabic.

Wright's comments, the relevant ones, apply to american accents.

Ebonics is not a language with significant literature. The language it mainly derives from, English, does have a substantial literature.

Classical English is the English of the Authorized Version Bible, the King James Bible in the USA, and the works of Shakespeare contemporary with it. In the old days Biblical English was viewed to an extent like Qu'ran Arabic. The Black preachers of the Segregated era had quite a high standard of religious English. They didn't preach in ebonics.

Old June 1st, 2011 #10
Dan Allan

Quote:
Why you always be trippin, lil homegirl?
Spoken like a true authority on the English language.

Last edited by Dan Allan; June 1st, 2011 at 08:12 AM.

Old June 1st, 2011 #11
Dan Allan

Quote:
Modern English was formed through alteration of its West Germanic ancestor imported to Britain by the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes with Celtic and Latin influence.
It was more than just that. There was considerable Nordic Viking influence, as well as an infusion of French vocabulary by way of the conquering Normans who brought it with them. English actually used to be several separate languages such as Kentish, which were spoken in different regions of England.
Quote:
There is no "correct" form of English other than the mutually intelligible vernacular created among given speakers.
You're right in the sense that English does not have a governing body regulating its usage the way many Continental European languages do.
Quote:
Moreover, as implied earlier in the thread, "ebonics" possesses numerous lexical and syntactical similarities with Southern American English; it's merely a phenomenon of sociological prejudice that one is identified as a "dialect" while the other is identified as "bad English."
No English speaker has a difficult time understanding "Ebonics", and the average American White really doesn't care about "good" or "bad" English.

Old January 15th, 2012 #12
alicia_victoria

Ebonics? what's that?

Old January 15th, 2012 #13
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia_victoria View Post
Ebonics? what's that?
nigger pidgin.

Old January 16th, 2012 #14
confederate

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia_victoria View Post
Ebonics? what's that?

nigger babble.

Dr. William Pierce

Old July 24th, 2012 #15
Richard King

Ebonics=monkey talk

Old September 24th, 2012 #16
ATiii
Banned

Ebonics are the worst thing to happen to the English language since America. Disgusting, filthy niggers should not be allowed to speak it and should rot in cages grunting.

Alan

Old November 18th, 2012 #17
E.L. Lynch

I recall several years ago there was serious discussion within at least one school district (I want to say it was in California) about teaching ebonics within the classroom as a viable dialect, which I guess is the OP's argument.

Yet even the school professionals, after toying with the overly liberal idea, realized just what utter bullshit it was and removed it from the table.

What's scary is that it actually received consideration, as if dumbing-down dumb niggers is going to help anybody.

Old November 18th, 2012 #18
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
A significant number of you on this forum routinely disparage African-American Vernacular English (AAVE),
How about Africoid Petulant English (APE). Just seems natural. It's important to strive for mnenomical effect in creating these things. I think APE achieves it. Hoots wit me?

Quote:
or "ebonics," as "bad English" or based on "corruption" of "proper English. As I've attempted to explain, ebonics is a dialect as legitimate as any other.
Any works of science or art in APE? No? Well, pat-pat, I'm sure it's valid to YOU, and that's what matters.

Old November 18th, 2012 #19
Karl Lueger

I was in the store and the saleslady was talking to a nigger female
the human told the nigger the price for an item,
the nigger said Who?

few days later when a clerk asked which shape item nigger wants,
nigger said Who again?

Rambo, John J.

Old November 20th, 2012 #20
Alexander M.

I find it most disgusting when muds call an object a jawn.

Jawn http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ge=2&term=jawn

Thread