Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 20th, 2013 #3581
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Terrible Tommie on the Man of Steele

I just got this back from Tom Metzger. He usually knows about prisoners of war. While Steele is not TECHNICALLY a prisoner of war, I consider him to be one because he is crazy.

Quote:
From: Donald E. Pauly
To: Tom Metzger <TM_METZGER @ yahoo.com>;Donald E. Pauly
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:17 AM
Subject: Has Steele Disappeared for Good? (TFW)

Terrible Tommie:

Edgar Steele has disappeared for 16 months. I think that his race traitor wife has abandoned him in prison. Have you or any of your Lone Wolves heard from him? If so, have them contact me. You can tell them about our website under construction at http://www.steelewentcrazy.org . The court files are at http://www.steelewentcrazy.org/steele .

Worse is better for now.
The Five Words
Donald E. Pauly
Las Vegas
.........
From: <tm_metzger @ yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: Has Steele Disappeared for Good? (TFW)
To: "Donald E. Pauly"

No I have no word on him. As usual the whole thing smells. It's illogical for a sharp attorney to be trapped into something like this.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3582
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Read the Thread for the First Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Yes, you're always doing it. Particularly lengthy ones when you would like the thread to roll onto a new page. We do notice these things.

The Steele statement bears repeating as it contains many interesting snippets like the one I just posted, along with this one:
Quote:
Larry did finally admit on the witness stand that I hadn’t given him the silver. He took it from one of the three hidey-holes, he said.
So, no payments from the insurance to Fairfax and no payments in silver to Fairfax. How odd! I thought that was one of the "proofs" of his "insanity".
You don't want me to start on all the lies in the rant. Had you read the thread OR the transcript, you would know that Fairfax testified that Steele told him that about 300 ounces of silver would be left in a desk in the garage. Fairfax then found the silver the next day where it was supposed to be. This was done a second time. This made about $10,000 worth at the then price of $18 per ounce.

The string 'hide' appears twice in day 2, and three times in day 7. The string 'hidey-holes' does not appear in the trial at all. Steele may not have known that the transcript was available and that all of his lies could be readily exposed. Let's talk about that bridge that I own in Lake Havasu.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3583
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Who Is the Real Rick Ronsavelle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ronsavelle View Post
I received this as a PM:

Steele Trial
I missed that you are the only one who attended the Steele trial. PM space is very short for me and should be only used where absolutely necessary. I need a complete briefing from you at [email protected] or better yet by phone at 702-477-5848. At the least we need you to post at http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?p...29#post1524229 . Bev is getting quite hysterical.

Then this:

Re: Steele Trial
You have posted many times on the below thread. You also voted on http://vnnforum.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1333 that you attended the Steele trial.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ronsavelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly
I missed that you are the only one who attended the Steele trial. PM space is very short for me and should be only used where absolutely necessary. I need a complete briefing from you at [email protected] or better yet by phone at 702-477-5848. At the least we need you to post at http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?p...29#post1524229 . Bev is getting quite hysterical.

You have me confused with someone else. I know nothing of this. (RR)

copy to management (AL)
What is going on? Did you admit that you attended the Steele trial in the poll or not? On the poll at http://vnnforum.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1333 here are the entries supposedly by you.

Quote:
http://vnnforum.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1333

Never heard of him.
Rick Ronsavelle, Steven L. Akins
2 7.69%
I heard that he was arresting for trying to kill his wife.
8Man, Alexander M., Bernie, Donald E. Pauly, Hadding, Horse Man, Mike Parker, Mr A.Anderson, notmenomore, Rick Ronsavelle, Thomas de Aynesworth, White Winger
12 46.15%
I am on his Conspiracy Pen Pal list
8Man, April, Donald E. Pauly, Kennewickman, notmenomore, Rick Ronsavelle
6 23.08%
I have visited his website.
8Man, Alexander M., April, Bernie, Brewski, confederate, Dianne v. Horvath, DiCarlo, Donald E. Pauly, Hadding, Horse Man, Hugo Böse, Karl LaForce, Lucky Jack, Mike Parker, notmenomore, Rick Ronsavelle, Rounder, Thomas de Aynesworth, Warlord, White Winger, William Hyde
22 84.62%
I have read his book Defensive Racism.
8Man, April, Dianne v. Horvath, Jason 916, Karl LaForce, Lucky Jack, notmenomore, Rick Ronsavelle
8 30.77%
I wrote him in jail.
8Man, Donald E. Pauly, Hadding, Rick Ronsavelle, Rounder
5 19.23%
He wrote me back from jail.
Donald E. Pauly, Hadding, Rick Ronsavelle, Rounder
4 15.38%
I attended his trial.
Rick Ronsavelle
1 3.85%
I wrote his wife Cyndi.
Dianne v. Horvath, Donald E. Pauly, Rick Ronsavelle, Rounder
4 15.38%
His wife Cyndi wrote me back.
Dianne v. Horvath, Donald E. Pauly, Rick Ronsavelle, Rounder
4 15.38%
I posted about his trial in comments in the Judenpresse.
April, Bernie, Dianne v. Horvath, Hadding, Rick Ronsavelle
5 19.23%
I attended part of his trial.
Rick Ronsavelle
1 3.85%
I have listened to interviews of his wife Cyndi.
8Man, Bernie, Dianne v. Horvath, DiCarlo, Donald E. Pauly, Hadding, Karl LaForce, Rick Ronsavelle, Thomas de Aynesworth
9 34.62%
I have written his daughter Kelsey.
Donald E. Pauly, Rick Ronsavelle
2 7.69%
His daughter Kelsey wrote me back.
Donald E. Pauly, Rick Ronsavelle
You claim to have done almost everything on the poll. Is there an imposter posting in your name? Did you make the 19 posts on this thread attributed to you? Mr Linder will need this to information to investigate the imposter.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3584
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,247
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
You don't want me to start on all the lies in the rant. Had you read the thread OR the transcript, you would know that Fairfax testified that Steele told him that about 300 ounces of silver would be left in a desk in the garage. Fairfax then found the silver the next day where it was supposed to be. This was done a second time. This made about $10,000 worth at the then price of $18 per ounce.

The string 'hide' appears twice in day 2, and three times in day 7. The string 'hidey-holes' does not appear in the trial at all. Steele may not have known that the transcript was available and that all of his lies could be readily exposed. Let's talk about that bridge that I own in Lake Havasu.

Please do start on the lies - I'd love to see your interpretation of it backed up by relevant proofs from the transcript.



Andy may be interested in your bridge if it can be constructed on my Florida swampland and if it won't interfere with the planning permission for a Frankfurter theme park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
What is going on? Did you admit that you attended the Steele trial in the poll or not? On the poll at http://vnnforum.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1333 here are the entries supposedly by you.




You claim to have done almost everything on the poll. Is there an imposter posting in your name? Did you make the 19 posts on this thread attributed to you? Mr Linder will need this to information to investigate the imposter.
Isn't it obvious he's taking the piss?
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3585
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Read the Thread for the First Time You Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Please do start on the lies - I'd love to see your interpretation of it backed up by relevant proofs from the transcript.

Andy may be interested in your bridge if it can be constructed on my Florida swampland and if it won't interfere with the planning permission for a Frankfurter theme park.

Isn't it obvious he's taking the piss?
I want to know if Rick Ronsavelle is lying or whether an imposter has taken over his account.

Look up the posts yourself. I am tired of spoon feeding you while you disrupt this serious thread. It has been posted several times and is still there. Clue-search for 'silver garage'. You need to be on moderation instead of being a moderator.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3586
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Rick Ronsavelle Exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
......
Isn't it obvious he's taking the piss?
Silly me! I just noticed that Rick Ronsavelle is a lying fool. My poll allows a contradictory response. This guy checked every possibility. The poll is
Quote:
http://vnnforum.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1333

Have you ever heard of Edgar J Steele?
He checks "Never heard of him." as well as every other possibility of writing him in jail and attending his trial. Mr Linder should use a bit of Sonderbehandlung with him anyway.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3587
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry First Letter to Steele and His Reply

This is my letter to Steele which has not been published here before. Steele's reply has been. I have redacted my address and a phone number. My letter was a computer printout and also contained copies of about 50 pages of the various articles in the Judenpresse. It was sent certified mail. A photo of Steele's letter is attached as well as its transcription. It is reduced resolution for posting and a bit blurry. Unfortunately a scanner was not handy and a camera had to be used.

I will explain my original letter and the discrepancies in a following post. Keep in mind that little was known about the case at the time of my letter. This was the second known letter from Steele if memory serves. Ingri Cassel got the first. There are about six of these known which used the same fine point pen, paper and Sea Biscuit prestamped envelopes. Handwriting was identical on all letters.

Quote:
STEELE, EDGAR J
Stay #: 1000016623
CID #: 361857
Race: White
Gender: Male
Age: 64
Intake Date: 06/15/2010 at 21:01
+ Booking Number: 1000027583
Case Number: 000000000
Booking Date/Time: 06/15/2010 21:01

Spokane County Jail
1100 West Mallon
Spokane , WA 99260-0320

Donald E. Pauly
xxxxxxx xxxxxx
Henderson, Nevada
xxxxxx
25 June, 2010

Mr Steele:

For some reason this incident reminded me of Gail Kunzman. You will remember the night that we shared her when we were in the Coast Guard together. I called her on 21 June. It sounded like that I might have woken her up but a more likely scenario is that she was on heavy downers. I told her about your case and she still remembers you.

She is having some legal problems herself. The cops towed her truck. She finally got it back but is still having problems. She is thinking about getting a lawyer but I warned her that lawyers can't be trusted. I advised her to hold a press conference to get her side of the story out and put political pressure on the cops. She should take a collect call from you at her number 208-xxx-yyyy. You can cry on each other's shoulders. Don't let your wife find out that you're talking to an old girlfriend. You're in enough trouble already.

Two forums that you are familiar with are publishing all the updates and speculation on your case. I enclose a collection of webpages from various newspapers about your case. If you are acquited, you will be suing newspapers and websites for libel for the rest of your life. You will become the foremost libel lawyer in the country. You clearly need the practice since you lost two defamation suits against the Spokesman Review and the Bonner County Daily Bee. This should be a much more lucritive law practice than your present one.

The jailhouse recording between you and your son as well as the one between you and your wife has been widely distributed on the web. I doubt the scenario of an edited tape by the government being the explanation for the complaint. It is too hard to do a good job even with modern technology. It is far more likely that they would use a skilled voice impersonator. There are plenty of recordings of your voice on your website. They could have been supplemented by some illegal bugs in your ranch house to get your normal everyday banter with your family. A good impersonator could fool even you after some practice.

It is claimed that you have known Fairfax for 20 years. My investigation indicates that he has a reputation as a real scumbag. I have read many comments about him supposedly cheating his workers and stealing other people's trees. He recently declared bankruptcy and needs money badly. You would have had to have been completely crazy to have gotten anywhere near him.

Your jailhouse recordings and your published testimony at your bail hearings impress me that your mind is intact. Be advised that I TAKE NO POSITION on your guilt or innocence at this time. My only position is that if the government was going to frame you they could have found a far better informant. I have lost all faith in the competence of the FBI. As you know, Terrible Tommie, may he live long, refers to them as the Famous But Incompetent.

I have enclosed a money order for $10 to be credited to your jail account. I want to retain you to represent me in case that I am charged with a love crime. I know what kind of thieves that you lawyers are. Under the present circumstances, you might make me a better deal. How much additional money will it cost me? This will establish an attorney client relationship between us and make our communications privileged. I am willing to give you a release from liability for malpractice. I await my instructions on publication or other matters.

I want to authenticate that it is really you and that you are able to write without restriction. Tell me the title of the song that I sent you a while back that you liked so much.

Donald E. Pauly
(signature)
Zionist Rastafarian
The Five Words


Quote:
Edgar J. Steele
361857
Spokane County Jail
1100 West Mallon
Spokane , WA 99260-0320

6-28-10

Dear Donald:

Thanks so much for the letters & the clippings (The first I have seen of the media coverage). Thanks for the $10, so that I can buy paper, postage & envelopes.

I don't recall Gail Kunzman-please refresh my recollection.

I suspect you are right about the ADL providing an impersonator, versus making up tapes. Much easier.

What everybody misses is that this guy was trying to kill ME, not my wife (who I love so much that it hurts). Why? Because he found a $45,000 silver stash and stole it, but knew that I would kill him when I discovered the theft. When his car bombs failed, he went to the ADL, who jumped at the chance to set me up.

Song? Hmmm..I vaguely recall something but not the song title.

Ed

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; March 21st, 2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: reply remark added
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3588
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,247
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
I want to know if Rick Ronsavelle is lying or whether an imposter has taken over his account.

Look up the posts yourself. I am tired of spoon feeding you while you disrupt this serious thread. It has been posted several times and is still there. Clue-search for 'silver garage'. You need to be on moderation instead of being a moderator.

So you rant at me for providing the explanation and then claim you discovered it yourself!

Maybe you should have, you know, read that thread before commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
Silly me! I just noticed that Rick Ronsavelle is a lying fool. My poll allows a contradictory response. This guy checked every possibility. The poll is


He checks "Never heard of him." as well as every other possibility of writing him in jail and attending his trial. Mr Linder should use a bit of Sonderbehandlung with him anyway.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3589
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Smile Caught In the Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
So you rant at me for providing the explanation and then claim you discovered it yourself!

Maybe you should have, you know, read that thread before commenting.
You got me on that one. You were the first to discover that Rick Ronsavelle is a lying fool and I tried to steal your thunder. You didn't notice that he had checked ALL boxes on the poll however.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3590
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,247
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
You got me on that one. You were the first to discover that Rick Ronsavelle is a lying fool and I tried to steal your thunder. You didn't notice that he had checked ALL boxes on the poll however.
Don't try and twist my words to cause trouble with someone whose posts I like - I didn't say Rick was a lying fool as that is not my position. My position was "he is taking the piss" which means being sarcastic. I did notice how many boxes he had ticked which is why I said it.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old March 21st, 2013 #3591
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Eddy Bear Still Hasn't Been Shipped

I just noted another one of Steele's lies in his steamy love letter to Tatyana. In early June, Cyndi was in Oregon taking care of her mother who had cancer. Steele was by himself at the ranch except for some possible visits of his son Rex. Rex admitted during a jailhouse phone call that he knew about Eddy Bear. It is also clear that Cyndi was not supposed to find out about it. She therefore could NEVER have promised to send it to Tatyana. Note also that he blames her for his arrest.

Quote:
http://www.steelewentcrazy.org/steele/day5.pdf
5-1099-12

July 3, I wish my son would come back up. Your surprise was sitting on the table in my house when all this happened. My ex promised me that she would mail it to you over a month ago, but I just learned that she never mailed it to you. I'm so sorry, Sweetheart. I'm trying to get one of the kids to get it from her and get it mailed to you. Your surprise, is a teddy bear that I have named 'Eddie Bear,' a copy of my book, and a copy of a magazine about the area.

I hope you haven't given up on me, Tanya. This truly has been out of my control. Remember how much I care for you always. I hope you haven't given up on me, Tanya. This truly has been out of my control. Remember how much I care for you always. I begin to suspect that my ex may be behind all this. I will tell you all about her another time. She knows that you are very special to me, and I am sure that's why she hasn't sent your box, as she promised me that she would do.
 
Old March 22nd, 2013 #3592
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Steele's Alibi Comes Apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
I just noted another one of Steele's lies in his steamy love letter to Tatyana. In early June, Cyndi was in Oregon taking care of her mother who had cancer. Steele was by himself at the ranch except for some possible visits of his son Rex. Rex admitted during a jailhouse phone call that he knew about Eddy Bear. It is also clear that Cyndi was not supposed to find out about it. She therefore could NEVER have promised to send it to Tatyana. Note also that he blames her for his arrest.
I now realize that the above is the clue to proving that Steele's wife is lying about knowing of and APPROVING of the so called Ukrainian bride scam investigation. She clearly did not know about Eddie Bear and Steele was worried to death that she would find out. After she found out she was burying her sorrow in downers (tranquilizers).

Next the prosecutor played for Cyndi the recordings of Steele discussing her death and showed her the 14,000 emails to Ukrainian women. Cyndi experienced a 'Damascus moment'. She realized that this was a gift from G-d. It was a way to get rid of her crazy husband and pocket all of his property. She also realized that she could get a pile of money for her trouble. Suddenly she is off of downers and full of enthusiasm for the new family business of begging for money.

Her new lawyer Hoyt rode in like a knight in shining armor (armour to Bev). He saw a mountain of shekels himself. Hoyt is a former Federal prosecutor in the Denver division. He was there at the same time as McAllister, who is now also in Federal prison for mail, wire and bankruptcy fraud. The latter pleaded guilty. Hoyt was the one who recommended McAllister to be Steele's new lawyer. The latter was being disbarred, would work cheap and had nothing to lose. Hoyt likely also knew that McAllister was about to be under indictment for Federal charges where he faced as much prison time as Steele did.

Two of Bev's countrymen can settle this argument.

Quote:
O what a tangled web we wieve, when first we practice to deceive.-Sir Walter Scott, Marmion
Quote:
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains; however improbable, must be the truth.-Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; March 22nd, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old March 22nd, 2013 #3593
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Swindler at Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
I received this post card from Cyndi about a week ago:

"Dear Glenn,

"Thank you for your support and for George T's support. I have sent him a thank you note for his last 2 donations ($150.00 and $125.00).

"The work towards Ed's freedom will continue.

"Cyndi" (end of post card)

NOTE: To donate to the Edgar Steele Defense Fund, send check, cash, or money order to:

Cyndi Steele
PO Box 1255,
Sagle, Idaho 83860
Glen has been swindled out of an unknown amount and his correspondent swindled out of $275. April Gaede has been swindled out of $200. She had been laid off and gave $200 out of her first unemployment check. I would like all others who have been swindled to post here or notify me of the swindle by PM. They can also write rescue @ steelewentcrazy.org .

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; March 22nd, 2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old March 24th, 2013 #3594
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry ICU Delirium

Steele's heart surgery EASILY explains his going crazy. It happens every day. However his case is the the most severe one that I can find where the patient survived. There is an additional effect that makes patients go crazy called ICU delirium.

Steele was on the respirator for 11 days instead of the 9 days that this NURSE experienced. Most heart surgery patients are on the respirator for about two hours. Even then this nurse suffered symptoms similar to Steele's and did not have heart surgery. She did not try to blow her husband up with a pipe bomb however. After she returned to work, she was fired for personality changes. Her original problem was Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.

Quote:
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/icudeli...ml#testimonial

ICU and Beyond from LM

It's been two years and I'm still trying to sort out what was real and what wasn't. I still think about it several times a week and continue to ask questions of my family. I have a compelling need to know what happened to me. The final diagnosis was ARDS and Encephalopathy, however; they never determined the cause.

I was on a ventilator and heavily sedated for nine days. I experienced what I call a prolonged nightmare. The theme: I was in an experimental hospital to learn what it's like to be completely dependent on someone else. I am a nurse so figured it was my punishment. The nightmare seemed to go on and on with different twists and turns.

After I was extubated and sedation was discontinued, I continued to have paranoid delusions about the nurses wanting to harm me. I repeatedly told my family that when I was dead, the nurses were going to put my body in a large trash can at the foot of my bed. I was obsessed about it and no one could tell me anything to the contrary. I was hallucinating at times especially at night when I was alone. I saw outlines of skeletons on the wall, heard strange sounds, etc. I believed I had been moved into various parts of the hospital, including the basement. I misinterpreted environmental cues and attempts to help me were interpreted as meanness. At discharge, the Neuropsychological Evaluation (NP) revealed significant deficits. I have a history of depression which was also present at discharge.

I was never told by anyone what to expect. When I reported cognitive concerns to my neurologist at the follow-up visit he gave me a Mini-Mental which I could have passed in my sleep.

After 5 months I felt better and returned to work but was fired 10 weeks later. I was devastated because I am a successful professional and had never lost a job. At the same time, it didn't surprise me because I was struggling terribly. I couldn't organize my work; committed many errors in documentation; frequently lost things; forgot meetings, and did not manage my time well. I tried to hide it and compensate but to no avail. I also fatigued easily. At the follow-up NP evaluation four months after discharge (prior to returning to work), the report stated that I was "back to baseline," however; the written report noted numerous deficiencies. After I lost my job I called the psychologist who stated it was "semantics". I appealed to my insurance for a second NP evaluation by the psychologist at the hospital. It revealed deficits in attention and executive function. I experienced major depression which didn't resolve for 18 months.

I'm hoping to return to work in the near future, at least part-time but I'm very nervous about it. I think there's been improvement but I still experience difficulty in attention and organization and still lose things on a regular basis. I at least need to try.

Hearing about your research on NPR has been very validating for me. I'll continue to follow your research, and in particular any new developments regarding treatment or remedy.

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; March 24th, 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #3595
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,247
Bev
Default

Oh for the love of jeboo! Encephalopathy is a brain disease. It is unsurprising that someone with a brain disease would suffer delusions and cognitive problems. ARDS is acute respiratory distress syndrome. It is unsurprising that someone with a lack of oxygen would hallucinate.

Losing her job probably triggered the 18 month depression.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #3596
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Government Sentencing Memo

I overlooked this government sentencing memo on the court files. It is long but contains some interesting insights. It claims that Steele tried to get his wife to say that it was not his voice on the recordings before he had even listened to them to know how good that they were.

There are several quotes from the recordings which were played for the jury which have not been published before. This includes him threatening to kill Fairfax if he didn't get Cyndi killed soon. The prosecutor fails to note that the magnet that Fairfax used to try to attach the pipe bomb to Cyndi's truck was not strong enough. He had to wire it on the frame to get it attached firmly.

Quote:
http://steelewentcrazy.org/steele/sentence/govmemo.pdf

WENDY J. OLSON, IDAHO STATE BAR NO. 7634
UNITED STATES ATTORNEY

D. MARC HAWS, IDAHO STATE BAR NO. 2483
TRACI J. WHELAN, IDAHO STATE BAR NO. 4416
ASSISTANT UNITED STATES ATTORNEY

DISTRICT OF IDAHO
WASHINGTON GROUP, PLAZA IV
800 E. PARK BLVD., SUITE 600
BOISE, IDAHO 83712
TELEPHONE: (208) 334-1211
FACSIMILE: (208) 334-1413

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF IDAHO

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Plaintiff,
vs.
EDGAR J. STEELE,
Defendant.

Cr. No. 10-148-N-BLW
GOVERNMENT’S SENTENCING MEMORANDUM

The United States of America, by and through United States Attorney, Wendy J. Olson, and Assistant United States Attorneys Traci J. Whelan and D. Marc Haws, now submits this Sentencing Memorandum in the above-captioned case.

INTRODUCTION

Following an eight-day trial, the jury convicted Defendant Edgar J. Steele on all four counts charged against him:

COUNT I – Use of Interstate Commerce Facilities in the Commission of Murder
for Hire, 18 U.S.C. § 1958;

COUNT II – Use of Explosive Materials to Commit Federal Felony, 18 U.S.C. § 844(h);

COUNT III – Possession of a Destructive Device in Relation to a Crime of Violence, 18 U.S.C. § 924(c)(1)(B)(ii); and

COUNT IV – Tampering with a Victim, 18 U.S.C. § 1512(b)(3).

SUMMARY OF FACTS PROVEN AT TRIAL

The jury’s verdict was based on testimonial and tangible evidence that between December 2009 and June 11, 2010, in the District of Idaho, Defendant Edgar Steele hired and plotted with Larry Fairfax to murder Edgar Steele’s wife, Cyndi Steele, and then also Steele’s mother-in-law, Jacqueline Kunzman. Specifically, the evidence showed that Edgar Steele caused another to travel in interstate commerce with intent that a murder be committed in violation of the laws of Oregon and Idaho.

Knowing that his wife would be traveling in her car from Idaho to Oregon, Steele took advantage of her travel as an opportunity to murder Cyndi with a pipe bomb attached to her car. Later, he caused Fairfax to travel between Idaho and Oregon to ascertain what happened to the pipe bomb since it did not explode; thus causing Fairfax to travel in furtherance of the plan to kill Cyndi Steele. Moreover, the automobile used by the victim and the automobile used by his co-Defendant were instrumentalities of interstate commerce on public highway systems.

Evidence showed that the first method Steele used for committing the murder was to hire Fairfax for $10,000, paid in silver, to construct and place two pipe bombs—“explosive or destructive devices” as charged in Counts II and III—on vehicles owned by the Steeles, so that when Cyndi Steele drove from Idaho to Oregon on or about May 28, 2010 the first bomb would explode and kill her.

The plan was devised so that the second bomb would be discovered on Edgar Steele’s car, un-detonated, diverting suspicion from Edgar Steele. The bomb on Cyndi’s car did not go off; so Edgar Steele sent Fairfax to Oregon to check on and remove the bomb from Cyndi’s vehicle to avoid the murder plot from being discovered. Thus, the evidence showed that the murder plan was ongoing, and the travel by Larry Fairfax was in furtherance of Steele’s murder plot.

When the first plan failed, Steele thought of a second plan and attempted to persuade Fairfax to carry out the murder of not only Cyndi Steele, but also her mother, Jacqueline Kunzman, in Oregon by whatever effective—even violent—means that Fairfax could devise. Steele offered Fairfax an additional $10,000 if the murder included Steele’s mother-in-law. He offered an additional $5,000 if the murders were successfully accomplished in Oregon in such a way that it would appear they were killed in an automobile accident.

Fairfax took the stand at trial and testified candidly. He told how his financial desperation induced him to participate in Edgar Steele’s murder-for-hire plan. Fairfax’s testimony held up well against strong cross-examination. He said that he was desperately in need of money, and that he had accepted $10,000 in silver coins and bullion in exchange for building and placing a pipe bomb on Cyndi Steele’s car to murder her. When Fairfax realized how deeply and dangerously he was involved with Steele, he sought out federal law enforcement officers.

He told them about Steele’s upcoming plot and helped the FBI to foil it. However, Fairfax admitted he had not been completely candid since he had not initially mentioned anything about the pipe bombs. He assumed it fell off Cyndi’s car; and he had dismantled the other pipe bomb in his garage. At trial, the Defendant unsuccessfully attempted to cast all of the responsibility for the attempted murder plot on Fairfax. Steele’s defense contended that Fairfax was a mischievous neighbor trying to steal money from Edgar and Cyndi Steele.

Defendant Steele also tried at trial to discredit the audio recordings of June 9 and June 10, 2011 in which Steele is heard urging Fairfax to get the murder job done, offering additional money, and agreeing to pay Fairfax travel money to go to Oregon to commit the murders on June 11, 2010. The jury’s verdict shows that they believed Fairfax’s testimony and the authenticity of the audio recordings.

The evidence at trial further established that although the pipe bomb placed on Cyndi’s car did not detonate, its construction showed an intent on the part of the killers that the bomb not fail. It had a double ignition design. It had redundant methods for assuring that it would remain attached to the frame—just below the driver’s seat—of her Mitsubishi Endeavor.

The jury also convicted Steele on Count IV, attempting to corruptly persuade a witness—his wife and intended victim, Cyndi Steele—to give misleading testimony to the FBI investigating the case. Besides establishing the crime of witness intimidation, his recorded phone call to Cyndi Steele on June 13, 2011 confirmed Steele’s consciousness of guilt in plotting to kill her, and his knowledge of the damning evidence in the audio recordings which, at that
point, he had not heard.

SENTENCING STANDARDS

The Ninth Circuit has set a basic framework which the district courts should follow in compliance with the Supreme Court's ruling in United States v. Booker, 543 U.S. 220 (2005):

(1) Courts are to begin all sentencing proceedings by correctly determining the applicable sentencing guidelines range, precisely as they would have before Booker.
(2) Courts should then consider the § 3553(a) factors to decide if they support the sentence suggested by the parties. Courts may not presume that the guidelines range is reasonable. Nor should the guidelines factors be given more or less weight than any other. They are simply to be treated as one factor among the § 3553(a) factors that are to be taken into account in arriving at an appropriate sentence.
(3)If a court decides that a sentence outside the guidelines is warranted, then it must consider the extent of the deviation and ensure that the justification is sufficiently compelling to support the degree of the variance.
(4) Courts must explain the selected sentence sufficiently to permit meaningful appellate review. United States v. Carty, 520 F.3d 984, 991-92 (9th Cir. 2008). In fashioning the appropriate sentence, the Court should take into consideration the USSG in light of the factors listed in 18 U.S.C. § 3553(a). United States v. Armstrong, 620 F.3d 1172, 1178-1179 (9th Cir. 2010). The Government will discuss each of these factors as they relate to the Steele case.

A. 18 U.S.C. § 3553(a) Factors

Title 18, section 3553(a) of the Criminal Code says that “(t)he court shall impose a sentence sufficient, but not greater than necessary, to comply with the purposes set forth in paragraph (2),” which are set out below.

1. 18 U.S.C. § 3553(a)(1)—Nature and Circumstances of the Offense and
History and Characteristics of the Defendant

The first part of subsection one of 18 U.S.C. §3 553, considers the nature and
circumstances of the offense. The facts presented at trial show that Edgar Steele devised two chillingly calculated murder plans. To plan the murder of an innocent spouse is unthinkably heartless. To manipulate a financially desperate neighbor to commit the murder with a violent car bomb explosion is depraved. Cold, coveted silver—$10,000 worth of silver—was the value Steele placed on the death of Cyndi, his wife. Despite Steele’s claims—and even Fairfax’s claims—that the pipe bomb was designed not to function, the facts are clearly to the contrary.

The testimony of the bomb squad witnesses was that the bomb removed from Cyndi’s car was large, as pipe bombs go. The evidence of lab and bomb experts was that the pipe bomb was constructed using smokeless double base powder, which—unlike black powder—is highly explosive. The bomb was fitted with two fuses to detonate it which were attached at different points to the catalytic converter of Cyndi’s car. The two-fuse attachment showed intent to make sure the bomb would ignite.

The bomb was attached to the frame of the car with wire and with a powerful magnet to make sure it stayed on Cyndi’s car. These facts show that the intent of the killers was to succeed in exploding the car. Lab and technical testimony showed that the hobby fuses were discolored from contact with heat from the exhaust system of the car. The fuses only failed to ignite because the killers miscalculated the intensity of the heat that the exhaust system would generate to ignite the hobby fuses.

When the pipe bomb on Cyndi Steele’s Mitsubishi Endeavor did not detonate, Edgar Steele was not overcome with relief and remorse. He did not have a change of heart or mind. On the contrary, Edgar Steele became heartlessly more insistent that Fairfax “get this job done” by another means—by a gun shot or an automobile accident. Steele had an opportunity to come to his senses, to change course, to re-think the stupid, callous plan he had set in motion. But he only rethought it to insist that the next plan be more dependable.

A few of Steele’s own words from transcripts of the June 9 and June 10, 2010 audio recordings, and his voice tones captured in the recorded conversations with Larry Fairfax, show he never had a change of heart. Steele says: “Go get, get this job done, Larry.” (6/9 Audio Recording Transcript, p. 3)

“I mean, you gotta get this job done, done. I mean seriously.” Id. “I want to give you a powerful incentive.” Id. “Larry I can count on you?” (6/9 Audio RecordingTr., p. 7)

“How can you be sure that its going to do the job? . . . Alright, well I’ll leave it up to you. I hope it works better than the last one.” Id. “Okay, I’m counting on it. I mean, Larry I am really up against it, it has to happen right now.” Id.

In response to Fairfax’s statement that he has everything lined up, Steele says again: “I’m counting on you.” (6/10 Audio Recording Tr., p. 10)

“Well, you better not get your f------ ass caught. You get . . . caught over there pulling something like this . . . the trail comes right back to me and there ain’t, we’ll be sharing a cell together.” Id. In response to Fairfax question whether Steele had any second thoughts, Steele says: “No second, ****, have you seen a second thought . . . in me yet?” (6/10 Audio Recording Tr., pp. 2-3)

“She gonna see you? ... You know I was watching something on TV, a guys wife got into an auto accident, she was turned into a paraplegic and he was left to take care of her the rest of her life with the kid kinda pitying him and he was, that he’s the one who had to do it. And I thought to myself that’d be awful. You know, ‘cause if I abandoned her at that point my kids would hate me forever, you know I couldn’t do that. I mean, this could actually become a much worse situation than it currently is. Do not, do not leave me like that.” (6/10 Audio Recording Tr., p. 5)

“So that when that, so when that black and white pulls into my driveway I hope to God I can answer the door and seem normal. Because I won’t know whether they’re ta, they’re here to notify me or they’re here to take me away, because you f----- up and got yourself f-------caught, and then it got pinned on me. ‘Cause if Cindy takes one look at you she’ll know exactly what the f--- ‘s goin’ on.” (6/10 Audio Recording Tr., p. 7)

“And I will lie myself out of it.” (6/10 Audio Recording Tr., p. 8)

“But you make sure you get the f------ job done. The worst thing you could do is not get the job done. Get your ass caught and you’ll be f------ swinging out there ... and there won’t be anything I can do, except the best, to throw you to the f------ wolves.” Id. “I’m pissed off, but, I don’t want her to suffer and I don’t want her to realize as the lights are going out what’s happened. I’d like that not to happen . . . I’d like it to be a mystery or a surprise, or better yet, happen so fast she, that she’s not even aware of what’s going on. That’s the way I’d like it, okay?” (6/10 Audio Recording Tr., p. 9)

“. . . I want, I want this over with . . . No, there ain’t no second thoughts pal.” (6/10 Audio Recording Tr., p. 10)

These few, chilling words from Steele’s own heart, mind and mouth establish the outrageous circumstances of his offenses.

The second part of subsection one of 18 U.S.C. § 3553 requires consideration of the history and characteristics of the defendant. Edgar Steele has no significant prior criminal record. By profession, he was a long-time attorney handling civil cases. Anyone who seeks to know who Edgar Steele is, soon comes face-to-face with Edgar Steele’s political beliefs. Edgar Steele has attempted to suggest his ideologies were a motive for the Government to bring this prosecution. Nothing could be further from the truth. His political bent does not weigh in the balance either for or against him on this case. His ideologies were no reason to bring this case, and his ideologies were no dissuasion from bringing this case. This case was brought based upon its facts.

President Theodore Roosevelt said in his Third Annual Message to Congress, December 7, 1903: “No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man’s permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor.” Edgar Steele’s history and ideology do not place him above the law. Nor do they place him below it. Incarceration is warranted in this case, not because of what Edgar Steele’s ideologies are, nor because of who Edgar Steele is, but because of what he did to commit these crimes.

The pre-sentence investigation will undoubtedly shed much more light on the Defendant’s past, as well as positive comments on his life by his friends and associates. Undoubtedly, many people may have many positive things to say about the Defendant; but the law exacts a price to be paid for his crimes which have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

2. 18 U.S.C. §3553(a)(2)—Need for the Sentence Imposed

(a) To Reflect the Seriousness of the Offense and Promote Respect for
the Law, and to Provide Just Punishment for the Offense

The sentence needs to reflect how serious these crimes are, and it needs to promote respect for the law by imposing just punishment. These federal crimes—Attempted Use of Interstate Travel to Commit Murder-for Hire, Attempted Use of and Explosive Devise, Possession of a Destructive Device, and Witness Tampering—are extremely serious. The facts presented during trial depicted an attorney who seemed to feel he was above the law, that he
could “get a way with murder,” to use the cliche. The facts show a person who manipulated, coerced, and intimidated others to do what he wanted done. The facts show a man who was desperate with self-pity. He was beset by his physical ailments. His marriage was not fulfilling.

He resented his wife’s absences; yet her very existence impeded him from reaching for the quality of life he wanted. He was trapped in a house on a ranchette property which were his wife’s dream; but not his. He fantasized about mail-order Russian brides. He had money; but not health. He had to pay his neighbor to do his handyman jobs. In his plotting, Edgar Steele
seems modeled on Raskolnikov : too far above the law, and too smart to get caught.[Raskolnikov is the main character in Fyodor Dostoyevski’s novel Crime and Punishment. The protagonist feels condescension toward the law and his intellectual superiority by committing the “perfect crime”—a murder.] Unless Edgar Steele serves federal prison time, and receives just punishment, there will not be due respect for the law, and the seriousness of his crimes will be diminished.

(b) To Afford Adequate Deterrence to Criminal Conduct

Related to the punishment objective of promoting respect for the law is the punishment objective of deterring criminal conduct. One goal of federal sentencing is to deter criminal conduct by others; in other words: general deterrence. The assumption is that others who might be inclined to disrespect the law and engage in violent crimes will “think twice,” and be deterred by the prison sentence imposed upon the Defendant. It would be wonderful if all American citizens felt allegiance to law to the extent of being voluntarily obedient to it. However, that is not the case. Some take into account the punishments of the criminal codes, weigh their chances of getting caught, then calculate their risks before undertaking criminal enterprises. This Court’s imposition of a sentence of incarceration on Edgar Steele will help deter others who might be inclined to commit such crimes.

(c) To Protection of the Public from Further Crimes of the Defendant

It is a specific statutory objective to protect the public from further crimes of the Defendant, Edgar Steele. It is reasonable to believe that given his life-long, clean criminal record, Edgar Steele would argue that it is not likely he will commit additional, serious crimes. The same would also have been reasonable to believe about Edgar Steele back in mid-2010.

Undoubtedly, many of his friends and supporters would have said then—and may say now—that Steele poses no threat to family, friends or the public. The facts of this crime, however, demonstrate the fallacy of such thinking. Precisely because Steele had a clean record, and he was a long-time attorney at law, he calculated that he would not be suspected of serious crimes. Undoubtedly, he calculated that his good criminal record and his sound reputation among friends would shield him from suspicion.

Some who attempted to offer inadmissible testimony at trial, probably still cannot accept that Steele could commit the crimes he has been convicted of. The point is: Steele’s prior law-abiding character is not a good predictor of his penchant to commit or not to commit more crimes. Incarceration is the surest way to be confident that society will be safe from further crimes by Edgar Steele.

(d) To Provide the Defendant with . . . Corrective Treatment

It is possible there may be prison resources to benefit the Defendant. Without having the insights which will be provided by a pre-sentence report, and a better understanding of Steele’s physical and mental health, it is impossible to say how the Defendant will benefit from prison programs. What is certain is that the Defendant will have time to think and reflect on his actions while in prison.

3. The Kinds of Sentences Available

The starting point for analyzing the kinds of sentences available, is to consider the punishments prescribed in the statutes. The punishment under 18 U.S.C. § 1958(a), murder-forhire, is incarceration for not more than ten (10) years—assuming no personal injury results—and a fine of not to exceed $250,000. The punishment under 18 U.S.C. § 844(h), using an explosive
device to commit murder-for-hire, is a sentence of imprisonment for ten (10) years consecutive to the underlying felony, and a fine of not to exceed $250,000. The punishment under 18 U.S.C. §924(c)(1)(B)(ii), possession of a destructive device during and in relation to any crime of violence—murder-for-hire—is imprisonment for not less than 30 years. Like the sentence under 18 U.S.C. § 844(h), this term of imprisonment must be consecutive to the sentence for the underlying offense. The punishment under 18 U.S.C. §1512(b)(3), tampering with a witness or victim, is imprisonment for not more than 20 years and a fine not to exceed $250,000.

Putting this all together, it means that the minimum sentence the Defendant could receive by statute is 480 months. However, that is not the sentence which the Defendant should receive; such a sentence would not adequately reflect the totality of the Defendant’s actions in plotting to kill his wife, commissioning pipe bombs, and obstructing or tampering with a witness into consideration; it would punish him only for the use of an explosive or destructive device.

The Government’s recommendation starts with USSG §2K2.4: the mandatory minimums of 18 U.S.C. § 844(h) and 18 U.S.C. § 924(c)(1)(B)(ii) must be imposed. His offenses were serious, cruel and interfered with the administration of justice; therefore, the United States recommends the Court sentence the Defendant to a term of federal incarceration of ten (10) years
for his convictions under 18 U.S.C. § 1958(a) and 18 U.S.C.§1512(b)(3), with these terms of imprisonment running concurrently with each other.

The Defendant should then be sentenced consecutively to a term of ten (10) years imprisonment pursuant to the mandatory language of 18 U.S.C. § 844(h). Consecutively to that, the Defendant should be sentence to a term of thirty (30) years imprisonment pursuant to the mandatory language of 18 U.S.C. § 924(c)(1)(B)(ii). These recommendations result in a total term of imprisonment of 600 months incarceration. This is the penalty which accurately accounts for all of the Defendant’s actions and for which Congress has deemed consecutive sentences appropriate.

CONCLUSION

A sentence of 600 months (50 years) of federal incarceration should be imposed upon Edgar Steele.

Respectfully submitted this 24th day of October, 2011

WENDY J. OLSON
UNITED STATES ATTORNEY
By:
/s/ Marc Haws
Marc Haws
Traci J. Whelan
Assistant United States Attorney

CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE

I CERTIFY that I am an employee of the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Idaho, and that a copy of GOVERNMENT’S SENTENCE MEMORANDUM was served on all parties listed in CM/ECF this 24th day of October, 2011.

Wesley W Hoyt hoytlaw @ hotmail.com
/s/ M. Wahl
Legal Assistant
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #3597
Hadding
Senior Member
 
Hadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,247
Hadding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
It claims that Steele tried to get his wife to say that it was not his voice on the recordings before he had even listened to them to know how good that they were.
Yes, that's in the famous jailhouse recording wherein he tells her that regardless of what she herself thinks, she must say that it is not her husband's voice in the recording, because she will bear an eternal burden of guilt if she does not.

I said that telling her to put aside her own opinion and to state an opinion that was not her own (as if it were her own) was the same as telling her to lie.
 
Old March 25th, 2013 #3598
M.N. Dalvez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,846
M.N. Dalvez
Default

Donald, why do you always schitz out whenever anyone disagrees with you? If you ask me, you're the crazy man around here.

PS: Did you tell Steele you've been describing him as a 'crazy man' to all and sundry for years now? Do you think he'd approve of that?

Last edited by M.N. Dalvez; March 25th, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
 
Old March 26th, 2013 #3599
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,247
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
Donald, why do you always schitz out whenever anyone disagrees with you? If you ask me, you're the crazy man around here.

PS: Did you tell Steele you've been describing him as a 'crazy man' to all and sundry for years now? Do you think he'd approve of that?
What I want to know is whether he'd be posting all the lies about Steele and his family if Steele was out and able to slam him for libel. I doubt it.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old March 26th, 2013 #3600
Donald E. Pauly
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,130
Angry Crazy Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
Donald, why do you always schitz out whenever anyone disagrees with you? If you ask me, you're the crazy man around here.

PS: Did you tell Steele you've been describing him as a 'crazy man' to all and sundry for years now? Do you think he'd approve of that?
I sent him my Amicus Curiae motion in Moscow with no reply. This describes my proof in detail that he is crazy. I would be honored for him to sue me for libel. The jury would get a kick out of his explanation for why he wrote steamy love letters to Tatyana from his jail cell.

You should be far more interested in why he has disappeared for the last 16 months than in beating up on me. You also might be interested in why Tubbs is pimping for his wife. Also find out why she is begging for money for an Idaho tax resistor who is in Federal prison. While you are at it find out for us why she is living in sin with a known Federal informant.
 
Reply

Tags
edgar steele

Share


Thread
Display Modes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.
Page generated in 0.27228 seconds.