VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 9th, 2019 #22
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Cannon View Post
Anyone who has ever spent any time seriously looking at the night sky knows that, in order to see stars, (1) it must be dark, and (2) your eyes must have adjusted to the dark. Stars are very faint. If you are looking at any bright object, your eyes will be adjusted to the bright object, not to the faint stars. This is why, when driving up a mountain to a telescope party, you turn off your headlights so as not to ruin the night-vision of the people already there. Anyone who has spent any time seriously looking at stars will tell you that your eyes have to be adjusted to the dark to see the stars.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old August 9th, 2019 #23
Ironguard1940

Default For the conspiracy theorists

Capricorn One, released in 1978, was a movie about a faked manned Mars landing. What stood out to me was that a Saturn V rocket was shown as the launch vehicle, with the 1960s Command Module/Service Module/Lunar Lander combination payload which could not have made it anywhere close to Mars. To achieve a manned Mars landing a ship would have to be constructed and launched from Earth orbit and it would have to be much larger than a Saturn V. I think this was due to Capricorn One being a low budget movie (5 million).

I am really not what you would call a conspiracy theorist. I believe we landed on the moon. However, this movie does make you think about how far the government will go to keep a secret.

Old August 9th, 2019 #24
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironguard1940 View Post
Capricorn One, released in 1978, was a movie about a faked manned Mars landing. What stood out to me was that a Saturn V rocket was shown as the launch vehicle, with the 1960s Command Module/Service Module/Lunar Lander combination payload which could not have made it anywhere close to Mars. To achieve a manned Mars landing a ship would have to be constructed and launched from Earth orbit and it would have to be much larger than a Saturn V. I think this was due to Capricorn One being a low budget movie (5 million).

I am really not what you would call a conspiracy theorist. I believe we landed on the moon. However, this movie does make you think about how far the government will go to keep a secret.
I only saw Capricorn One once. O.J. Simpson was playing one of the astronauts, so what does that tell you? I immediately spotted the glaring mistake of using the Apollo Lunar Module to land on Mars. Mars has an atmosphere and the non-aerodynamic LM was only designed to land on the airless Moon. It would have burned up on entry in the Martian atmosphere. Now if NASA in the movie used it to fake a landing on Mars's tiny moons Phobos or Deimos, even that would have been slightly more believable (the LM would have actually been over-powered for that). And you would need several Saturn V launches to assemble the Mars spacecraft in Earth orbit. In 1969, shortly after the Apollo 11 landing, Wernher von Braun pitched a manned Mars mission to NASA to launch in 1981 that would have been entirely doable had it gotten funding. Sadly, that never happened.

http://www.astronautix.com/v/vonbrau...tion-1969.html

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old August 9th, 2019 #25
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:

Capricorn One was an entertaining movie, but you have to keep straight in your mind the difference between fact and fiction. Seeing something in a movie doesn't mean that it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
I only saw Capricorn One once. O.J. Simpson was playing one of the astronauts, so what does that tell you? I immediately spotted the glaring mistake of using the Apollo Lunar Module to land on Mars. Mars has an atmosphere and the non-aerodynamic LM was only designed to land on the airless Moon. It would have burned up on entry in the Martian atmosphere. Now if NASA in the movie used it to fake a landing on Mars's tiny moons Phobos or Deimos, even that would have been slightly more believable (the LM would have actually been over-powered for that). And you would need several Saturn V launches to assemble the Mars spacecraft in Earth orbit. In 1969, shortly after the Apollo 11 landing, Wernher von Braun pitched a manned Mars mission to NASA to launch in 1981 that would have been entirely doable had it gotten funding. Sadly, that never happened.

http://www.astronautix.com/v/vonbrau...tion-1969.html
I didn't really regard it as a mistake that they used the Apollo/Saturn V in the movie because the movie wasn't meant to be believable in the first place. It was simply meant to be entertaining.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old August 10th, 2019 #26
Ironguard1940

Default Some even say the moon isn't real-I say get real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
Capricorn One was an entertaining movie, but you have to keep straight in your mind the difference between fact and fiction. Seeing something in a movie doesn't mean that it happened.

I didn't really regard it as a mistake that they used the Apollo/Saturn V in the movie because the movie wasn't meant to be believable in the first place. It was simply meant to be entertaining.
I fully understand the difference between fact and fiction. My point was not to say the moon landing was faked. On the contrary-IMO we did land men on the moon. I was just using it as an example of how far our government would go to keep a secret. Even most fiction is based in some fact.

As far as using the Saturn V to send men to Mars-I pointed out that this was a low budget movie. Using previous footage of a Saturn V was cheaper than creating a fictitious Mars mission craft. However, to someone like myself that has studied space travel for a good deal of my life, it is a glaring error.

Old August 10th, 2019 #27
Ironguard1940

Default Wrong

Quote from Freddy Ford:

"The first 6 Apollo missions were total failures, so NASA began to falsify and conceal information about the missions."

Apollo 1: A catastrophic failure. Three astronauts killed in ground test fire.
Apollo 4: A 9 hour unmanned test of the Saturn V, all three stages, and the Command Module. Despite some issues that delayed this test, NASA declared the mission a complete success.
Apollo 5: An 11 hour unmanned test of the Saturn 1B rocket, both stages, and the Lunar Module. There were delays similar to those before Apollo 4, and there were a few issues during the mission. NASA declared the mission an overall success.
Apollo 6: A ten hour unmanned test of the Saturn V's ability for trans-lunar injection (sending the astronauts to the moon)and the Command Module heat shield. Issues arose with some of the Saturn V's engines shutting down due to the phenomenon known as pogo oscillation. However, NASA declared the mission a success and was confident enough for the next mission, Apollo 7, to be a manned one.

My analysis of these missions is that except for Apollo 1, they were NOT a total failure.

Old August 10th, 2019 #28
Ray Allan

Quote:
Quote from Freddy Ford:

"The first 6 Apollo missions were total failures, so NASA began to falsify and conceal information about the missions."

Apollo 1: A catastrophic failure. Three astronauts killed in ground test fire.
Apollo 4: A 9 hour unmanned test of the Saturn V, all three stages, and the Command Module. Despite some issues that delayed this test, NASA declared the mission a complete success.
Apollo 5: An 11 hour unmanned test of the Saturn 1B rocket, both stages, and the Lunar Module. There were delays similar to those before Apollo 4, and there were a few issues during the mission. NASA declared the mission an overall success.
Apollo 6: A ten hour unmanned test of the Saturn V's ability for trans-lunar injection (sending the astronauts to the moon)and the Command Module heat shield. Issues arose with some of the Saturn V's engines shutting down due to the phenomenon known as pogo oscillation. However, NASA declared the mission a success and was confident enough for the next mission, Apollo 7, to be a manned one.

My analysis of these missions is that except for Apollo 1, they were NOT a total failure.
That's correct. And for non-space buffs who might be reading this, there was no Apollo 2 or Apollo 3. NASA did not assign those designations to any mission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_missions

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Last edited by Ray Allan; August 10th, 2019 at 03:26 PM.

Old August 10th, 2019 #29
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
I fully understand the difference between fact and fiction. My point was not to say the moon landing was faked. On the contrary-IMO we did land men on the moon. I was just using it as an example of how far our government would go to keep a secret. Even most fiction is based in some fact.

As far as using the Saturn V to send men to Mars-I pointed out that this was a low budget movie. Using previous footage of a Saturn V was cheaper than creating a fictitious Mars mission craft. However, to someone like myself that has studied space travel for a good deal of my life, it is a glaring error.
My post was not directed at you but at people who may watch that movie and think it is something real. And I think it is better that they used the Apollo/Saturn V because it makes the whole thing a farce and not a serious movie.

Old August 12th, 2019 #30
Ironguard1940

Default My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
That's correct. And for non-space buffs who might be reading this, there was no Apollo 2 or Apollo 3. NASA did not assign those designations to any mission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_missions
Thank you, I forgot to post that bit of info.

Thread