Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 12th, 2012 #1
MikeQuigley
Banned

Default White men with long forgotten skills.

skills.

Old November 20th, 2012 #2
Jimmy Marr

Default Pagan Thanksgiving

Finished a 300 square foot polycarbonate awning and stashed 3 cords of firewood under it Sunday evening as the first winter storm was rolling in.

High and dry today.

Old November 20th, 2012 #3
Bruce Rideout
Flight Instructor

We have a local Guy that restores old Books. He claims not enough time left in his life to fully train an apprentice. Just plain sad to see the total disregard in current society for these such rich Arts.

Old November 20th, 2012 #4
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rideout View Post
We have a local Guy that restores old Books. He claims not enough time left in his life to fully train an apprentice. Just plain sad to see the total disregard in current society for these such rich Arts.
There are a few people keeping the art of bookbinding alive. I haves always appreciated the talents of such craftsmen. One I know and have been a patron of is a fellow by the name of Joel Radcliffe who lives and works in Seattle. I have had him to rebind a few rare books for me in leather, and have always been pleased with his work, some examples of which can be seen below:

Another gifted artist that I have commissioned work from is a craftsman by the name of Gary Zahradka who lives and works in St. Paul, Minnesota. In addition to being a painter and sculptor, he is a talented maker of edged weapons:

Old November 20th, 2012 #5
Bruce Rideout
Flight Instructor

Beautiful. I have an old friend whom I know makes knives, but nowhere near that calibre. My only (I hesitate to call it) 'skill' is my Carpet and Lino Laying. 2003 to 2010 was just nuts. This set of stairs took two days to bang in to perfection.
PMQ's CFB Naden

Ass't stuff, Victoria B.C.

Old November 20th, 2012 #6
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

I admire people with such skills and believe that they will be the leaders and teachers of tomorrow.I have no such skills; and am one of the unfortunate many who must pay those who know what they are doing-usually twice as much- after I tried to do it myself; and screwed it up.

Old November 22nd, 2012 #7
Crowe

I'm sure putting carpet on stairs is more difficult than it looks, but 2 days? Really? By 2 days does that mean 16 hours of work dedicated entirely to that?

Old November 23rd, 2012 #8
Bruce Rideout
Flight Instructor

The new products are like Armor in wintertime. Each step heated before stretching in. Liesurely work, not by the hoiur. Keyword: RELAX

I tried to explain to one lady that Carpet should relax unrolled for 24 hours before installation and she went off like a gun...

"Relax! We can't RELAX! Furniture's coming tomorrow! Blubble blubble Apooo apooo Whaaaa!"
Too Funny.

I'm not tooting my own horn here, I crumble to think of the old skills long forgotten. German history comes to mind,, the old Cathedrals that took generations to build, their Bells, Pipe Organs etc.

Old November 23rd, 2012 #9
EDLIE Stampton
Banned

Something magical about these pipes.

Old November 23rd, 2012 #10
Jimmy Marr

Yeah. The Uilleann pipes are cool. I'm a Highland piper, and I've often imagined getting a set of Uilleann pipes to work with. If I was younger and had lots of leisure time, I might have done it. But, as you can see from the video, the pipes are quite complicated and temperamental. It's not by accident that he's both a maker and piper. You pretty much have to be if you're involved with Uilleann pipes. He also mentioned the challenge of keeping them in tune during play. I can imagine. It's hard enough on Highland pipes, which are much simpler.

All that being said, they really do sound great and have a much wider range than other types of pipes.

Another interesting variation is the Medieval German Bagpipe, which produces a more Middle Eastern sound.

Old November 23rd, 2012 #11
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Marr View Post
Yeah. The Uilleann pipes are cool. I'm a Highland piper, and I've often imagined getting a set of Uilleann pipes to work with. If I was younger and had lots of leisure time, I might have done it. But, as you can see from the video, the pipes are quite complicated and temperamental. It's not by accident that he's both a maker and piper. You pretty much have to be if you're involved with Uilleann pipes. He also mentioned the challenge of keeping them in tune during play. I can imagine. It's hard enough on Highland pipes, which are much simpler.

All that being said, they really do sound great and have a much wider range than other types of pipes.

Another interesting variation is the Medieval German Bagpipe, which produces a more Middle Eastern sound.

german big medieval bagpipes - for sale - YouTube
I used to have a friend who was a music teacher that taught himself to play the Uilleann pipes after a couple of our other friends took up playing the Highland pipes. Trent got to be very good (at least to my untrained ear) at playing the Irish pipes, within a matter of a few months. I was always very impressed by him as well as my other two friends that taught themselves to play the Highland bagpipes. People with the gift of musical talent are very fortunate to possess the ability to learn that sort of thing.

Old September 14th, 2013 #12
Anders Hoveland

One possible important skill to have may be being able to machine rifle barrels, particularly the skills that will lead the gun to having good accuracy.

Another skill, perhaps more suited to those with knowledge of chemistry, is the manufacture of propellants, ideally including the preparation of the necessary chemicals from natural sources.

Thread