Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 3rd, 2013 #1
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Default Peggy Railey Has Died (Top Dallas Scandal of the 80s/90s)

Photo by Mark Graham
Peggy Railey in the Tyler nursing home where she's spent the last 20 years

Twenty-Four Years After She Was Left to Die, Peggy Railey, Wife of Walker, Is Gone

By Robert Wilonsky Tue., Dec. 27 2011 at 2:49 PM

In 1989, two years after the attack that left her in a vegetative state, People described Peggy Railey's existence as "death-in-life." Our Mark Graham documented as much years later when he visited her in the Tyler nursing home where she has spent the last two decades; today, he told me, spending time with her was eerie. "Her eyes would follow you," he said. "And she made anguishing sounds whenever they combed her hair or brushed her teeth. She was in a vegetative state, but you wondered: Was she still in there?" But her tortured existence has come to an end: The Tyler Morning Telegraph is reporting that she has died, and that her body has been taken to the Tyler Memorial Funeral Home.

Even if you were not in Dallas in April 1987, you likely know what happened: She was found strangled in the garage of the home she shared with her husband, First United Methodist Church senior pastor Walker Railey. Peggy's family told former Observer columnist and Dallas Mayor Laura Miller, then at the Dallas Times Herald, they were certain who'd put that wire around their daughter's throat: Walker, who, it was revealed, was having an affair with a woman named Lucy Papillon. Ella Renfro, Peggy's 87-year-old grandmother, told Laura there was motive: "A divorced man doesn't get to be bishop."

Railey and his attorney, Doug Mulder, always maintained his innocence; Walker said he'd lied about his whereabouts that night to cover his affair. Mulder, the former prosecutor, told Mike Shropshire in the fall of 1987: "If you're going to create an alibi, you'd better create a better one than Walker did." After he was acquitted of attempted murder in 1993, Walker hit the lecture circuit. Laura, whose coverage of the trial won her and this paper awards, wrote in 1996 that the only reason Walker walked was because of "the egregious handling of this case by our own Dallas County District Attorney John Vance ... who was ill and clueless at the time of the Railey trial [and] sent two shrubs to San Antonio to lose the case."

Walker was last seen on Facebook, claiming to work for a California church. But now, finally, Peggy Railey is at peace.

------------

Comments

Perry Moore 5pts Dec 28, 2011

"If you're going to create an alibi, you'd better create a better one than Walker did."

My first memory of Walker Railey, some time before his wife's strangulation, was a news report that his fiery sermons against racism had provoked death threats. Those threats were later traced to a typewriter found, I believe, at his church. It appears that he was working on a better alibi.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...ter_she_wa.php

Last edited by Leonard Rouse; January 3rd, 2013 at 02:50 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #2
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Never heard of her.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #3
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post

Photo by Mark Graham
Peggy Railey in the Tyler nursing home where she's spent the last 20 years

Twenty-Four Years After She Was Left to Die, Peggy Railey, Wife of Walker, Is Gone

By Robert Wilonsky Tue., Dec. 27 2011 at 2:49 PM

In 1989, two years after the attack that left her in a vegetative state, People described Peggy Railey's existence as "death-in-life." Our Mark Graham documented as much years later when he visited her in the Tyler nursing home where she has spent the last two decades; today, he told me, spending time with her was eerie. "Her eyes would follow you," he said. "And she made anguishing sounds whenever they combed her hair or brushed her teeth. She was in a vegetative state, but you wondered: Was she still in there?" But her tortured existence has come to an end: The Tyler Morning Telegraph is reporting that she has died, and that her body has been taken to the Tyler Memorial Funeral Home.

Even if you were not in Dallas in April 1987, you likely know what happened: She was found strangled in the garage of the home she shared with her husband, First United Methodist Church senior pastor Walker Railey. Peggy's family told former Observer columnist and Dallas Mayor Laura Miller, then at the Dallas Times Herald, they were certain who'd put that wire around their daughter's throat: Walker, who, it was revealed, was having an affair with a woman named Lucy Papillon. Ella Renfro, Peggy's 87-year-old grandmother, told Laura there was motive: "A divorced man doesn't get to be bishop."

Railey and his attorney, Doug Mulder, always maintained his innocence; Walker said he'd lied about his whereabouts that night to cover his affair. Mulder, the former prosecutor, told Mike Shropshire in the fall of 1987: "If you're going to create an alibi, you'd better create a better one than Walker did." After he was acquitted of attempted murder in 1993, Walker hit the lecture circuit. Laura, whose coverage of the trial won her and this paper awards, wrote in 1996 that the only reason Walker walked was because of "the egregious handling of this case by our own Dallas County District Attorney John Vance ... who was ill and clueless at the time of the Railey trial [and] sent two shrubs to San Antonio to lose the case."

Walker was last seen on Facebook, claiming to work for a California church. But now, finally, Peggy Railey is at peace.

------------

Comments

Perry Moore 5pts Dec 28, 2011

"If you're going to create an alibi, you'd better create a better one than Walker did."

My first memory of Walker Railey, some time before his wife's strangulation, was a news report that his fiery sermons against racism had provoked death threats. Those threats were later traced to a typewriter found, I believe, at his church. It appears that he was working on a better alibi.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...ter_she_wa.php
I hadn't previously known about this.

We live in a horrible world peopled by men with a will to garrote women, but incapable of fully executing it, and social institutions unable to relieve the suffering of its languishing victims.

If this isn't hell, it's gotta be close.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #4
AJG
Holohoax Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
In 1989, two years after the attack that left her in a vegetative state, People described Peggy Railey's existence as "death-in-life." Our Mark Graham documented as much years later when he visited her in the Tyler nursing home where she has spent the last two decades; today, he told me, spending time with her was eerie. "Her eyes would follow you," he said. "And she made anguishing sounds whenever they combed her hair or brushed her teeth. She was in a vegetative state, but you wondered: Was she still in there?"
Gee, I don't know, do dead people follow you with their eyes and make noises when you touch them? I'm pretty sure if she could speak, the first and only thing she'd say is "kill me." I feel physically ill right now and I think it's from contemplating the fact that this woman was lying there since I was 6-years-old just waiting to die.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #5
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJG View Post
Gee, I don't know, do dead people follow you with their eyes and make noises when you touch them? I'm pretty sure if she could speak, the first and only thing she'd say is "kill me." I feel physically ill right now and I think it's from contemplating the fact that this woman was lying there since I was 6-years-old just waiting to die.
I used to have a very nice neighbor who used to go for walks down the lane that runs past my house nearly every day. You would always see her outdoors, working in her yard, cutting grass or raking leaves. She lived next door to her elderly mother, who was a fine, energetic woman herself well into her 80's. The younger of the two women had just been promoted to the position of vice president of the bank that she had worked for. One afternoon as she and some of her co-workers were out for lunch, the car she was riding in was struck by a pickup truck driven by a drunken, blue-collar, laborer. My neighbor received a traumatic brain injury and was in a coma for months. Eventually she was moved to a nursing home in a paralyzed state, basically a vegetable, and she lingered for over three years in that condition. The drunken driver that hit the car she was riding in was arrested for drunk driving but was never prosecuted for manslaughter, despite the fact that my neighbor's son served as a deputy sheriff in the county.

There is no justice; only vultures who make money off the misfortunes of others in the name of the law.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #6
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Alright,I' going to say what you all have been thinking. I would hope that my husband had the balls to do it. Pull the fucking plug please,. please I don't want to live this way any more. Thank you please drive through.Blink Blink...Fuck you!

Last edited by Angel Ramsey; January 3rd, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #7
Fred O'Malley
Banned

When I get to the point that I'm a burden on those I love, I'll take care of it.

Old January 4th, 2013 #8
Fenria
Self imposed ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJG View Post
This is the magic world of Christards! Where everyone has to be forceably kept alive, regardless of quality of life, so that Christards can pat themselves on the back and receive accolades at church for being so humanitarian. It has nothing to do with any of the severely deformed or mentally handicapped children who are born with no quality of life, or the people who are forceably kept in vegetative states for two decades, Christards really couldn't give a shit about any of them. It has to do with the warm, fuzzy feeling that a Christard gets when he or she gets to be a surrogate for skygod and engage in lengthy self righteous finger wagging, with all the pretty ego petting and preening it entails.

Tags
attempted murder, dallas, peggy railey, walker railey

Thread