Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 5th, 2018 #1
Susan

Default Sue Grafton Dead

For those who care, and there may not be any here, author Sue Grafton died unexpectedly Dec. 28, 2017 in Santa Monica California.

She was the author of the highly popular, alphabet murder mystery series: "A" is for Alibi", "B" is for Burglar ", etc. The series involved a private investigator, Kinsey Milhone, who lived in the fictional California town of Santa Teresa, and her jobs involving various local residents. The series began in 1982 and Grafton's last completed book, Y is for Yesterday, came out last August.

Grafton wanted Milhone's character to function pre internet and pre cellphone, so while more than 30 years have passed since Grafton started writing the books, the series timeline had only progressed a few years through 1987 or thereabouts.

Grafton was considered by many to be the best mystery author writing today. I certainly thought so. Her characters jumped off the page they were so well written. And I don't know anyone who could write dialog better than she could. She was masterful.

For years, she put out one book a year. But for a number of years recently, she has taken two years to complete a book. The stories got longer however, with more side stories going on.

I had given up on modern fiction years ago, it was such a jewy mess. But Grafton's books were satisfying, interesting, and you always eagerly awaited each new letter of the alphabet. They were well written page turners.

I did not know she was ill as I think they kept it from the public. She took an unexpected turn for the worse in December and died on the 28th.

Her husband said she had not begun writing anything on the letter "Z", and there will never be a letter " Z" now. Sadly. But Grafton always said there would be no ghost writers for the series and her books will NEVER be sold to Hollywood.

She even made her family sign legal documents that no one will ever sell the rights of her books to Jewywood. She worked as a screenwriter in Jewywood for years and was likely well versed in the jew.

I was very sad to hear of her death and will miss greatly her writing. It provided me with hours of entertainment.

I bought almost all her books at Goodwill throughout the years to save money. I'm still waiting for 'Y" to show up.

May she rest in peace. She will be missed by her fans.

Old January 5th, 2018 #2
grail
House on the Borderland

Will you name your 4 or 5 favorites of her books....?

Old January 5th, 2018 #3
Susan

Grail, the best way to read the series, of course, is to start at the beginning because there are a number of side stories going on and everything progresses in order. Kinsey has relationships with ex husbands, two police officers she works with, a 90+ year old landlord/neighbor, etc. and I went back a second time and reread the whole series in order after I read it out of order the first time. The landlord/neighbor is just a friend and confidante but he is a neat character.

Do you have Goodwill stores near you? I can usually find one to three different books there each time I go.

The first ones were very good. But there are some in the middle that are really good. I'll have to look at the book s again to remind myself which are the really good ones.

It's just escapist reading, but its just so well written.

You really can't go wrong with any, but it makes sense to read them in order because Kinsey has ex husbands, and three on again off again relationships with men she works with because of her job.

I was hoping Sue would let her end up with one of the men in the last book, but now that is not to be.

Oh, you can also buy anthologies of the first 9 or 12 books in groups of three. The first is A, B and C. The second is D, E and F...and so on.

Let me know what you think about my suggestions.

Old January 5th, 2018 #4
Ray Allan

I know Sue Grafton, but never read any of her books, since I'm not exactly into mystery stories. Sounds like she was almost as prolific a writer as James Patterson, he cranks out novels every six months or so. Perhaps when I have a mind to, I can pick up one of Sue Grafton's books. Anyone that forbids Hymiewood from getting their rat-claws on their work can't be too bad.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Thread