VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 13th, 2014 #1
Sam Emerson
Diversity = White Genocide

Default Thomas Buhls' Guide to Bad Writing

Thomas Buhls is a writer for Traditionalist Youth Network. Two weeks ago he wrote a post about Gamergate, "How SJW’s Block /pol/itically Correct Speech, and a Model for Intervention". I've been mildly interested in finding out more about that, and a pro-White writer's take seemed like just the labor saving device I'd been looking for. Those who've never tried to understand an ongoing internet feud have no idea how much garbage you have to read just to get the basic facts, so I was hoping Buhls would give me the straight scoop.

No such luck. While it's possible that Buhls' post could be a starting point for further investigation, as a stand alone it's useless. The problems start with the title. SJW is never defined. I know it stands for Social Justice Warrior, and that it refers to the kind of politically correct scolds, schoolmarms and rats who act as the system's volunteer enforcers on social media sites and blogs. But it's a subcultural term, and should be defined.

He then tries to explain the SJW's methods, but he doesn't put much effort into it. Instead he relies on no less than ten links to other articles and videos. For someone unfamiliar with Gamergate, and that would be almost everyone, it would be inexplicable. The nine step chart with its many goto commands doesn't make it any easier.

He then gives an extremely vague summary of something that happened on 4chan, the (now formerly) "anything goes" image board. At no point in the summary does he mention that m00t owns 4chan, which is the key to understanding how 4chan was politically cleansed. As with the SJW term he just assumes m00t's role is common knowledge.

Having made nothing clear he moves on to his solution, with five more links. The founder of 8chan, Fredrick Brennan, is the key figure here. He's supposedly "power invulnerable", for reasons that remain unmentioned. Maybe they're in the video linked in his name. He has no Wikipedia page. I've never heard of him.

Buhls suffers from the blogger's disease. He thinks his readers come from his subculture. This is probably true, anyone else is going to stop reading. This is the opposite of outreach. If you want more than cultist readers lose the jargon, define your terms, and don't lazily rely on links. Or just keep doing what you've been doing, it's only never worked.

Old October 21st, 2014 #2
Sean Gruber

Obscure or just plain bad writing appears to be characteristic of many (not all) people in technical fields, as counterintuitive as that may seem. For example, try reading the Final Cut Pro 7 manual. This doorstop is about 1,000 pages long, and it almost never tells you how to do a task in FC7. Instead, it is hundreds of pages of sales talk randomly interlarded with specs of limited value to most users. "You can [do x procedure]. And you also can [do x procedure] in a variety of different ways to suit your preferences" -- such is the formulaic phraseology throughout. The writers don't understand that the customer has already bought. He now needs, not fluffing, but step-by-steps. For that, he must bin the manual and go to Apple message boards (or elsewhere) where Earthlings provide the how.

The problem appears to be a type of context-deafness, a deficit in grasping the reader's context of knowledge. Basically, it's a non-venal (and indefeasible) lack of empathy, so it feels related to high-functioning autism (formerly known as Asperger's Syndrome).

I, too, tried to figure out Gamergate but didn't get as far as Sam did. I ended up relying on varg's summary. There's also an element of deliberate ambiguity in the topic, since it has "red box" (politically incorrect) aspects. It may be that not every writer on this topic wants to be perfectly clear.

Another thing involved here is the tendency -- prevalent among "The Big Bang Theory" (a sitcom) character types -- of hoarding info for status. They're "cool" insofar as they're in the know about some pseudo-complexity, and won't make grasping it easy for others. Call this tendency "Beta aggression." When called on it, this type always protests that his listener is too thick-headed to understand the topic. "The topic can't be made simpler than it is," he huffs. With most topics, his statement has merit maybe only 1% of the time. Award-winning cinematographer Greg Toland taught everything there was to know about cinematography to neophyte film director Orson Welles in a weekend. Buckminster Fuller is said to have once used fewer than 300 words to summarize the Theory of Relativity for an audience of common people, with perfect technical accuracy. Surely some skank's making accusations of "sexism" because nobody liked her cruddy game design can be explained in a limited number of plain words. (Though not, admittedly, by anyone worried about a possibility of being sued, which may be an obfuscating factor in itself.) Varg's summary, for one, was as plain as day.

Good writing requires -- in addition to mere technique -- clear understanding, an unclouded motivation to make things plain to the reader, and, above all, empathy, a knowledge of and concern for where the reader is coming from. I hate to say it, but empathy does not appear to be the strongest suit of a fair number of technical folks ("geeks" in common parlance). They need a ghost writer or Cyrano to unpack their hearts and minds to a grateful world.

Less talk, more action

Old October 21st, 2014 #3
Sam Emerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gruber View Post
I, too, tried to figure out Gamergate but didn't get as far as Sam did. I ended up relying on varg's summary. There's also an element of deliberate ambiguity in the topic, since it has "red box" (politically incorrect) aspects. It may be that not every writer on this topic wants to be perfectly clear.
You're right about the deliberate obfuscation. The chan culture that spawned Gamergate is well acquainted with the social justice warrior tactic of doxxing (posting your real name, address, phone and employer contact info). By writing almost entirely in code with no persistent name they make it much more difficult to shut people down.

In reading some large threads about this I've deduced that LW1 might mean "Loco Woman 1" who is Zoe Quinn, but I wouldn't want to swear to it. If you sent a jewmedia reporter, judge or district attorney screencaps of one of these threads it would be a challenge just figuring out what the fuck they were talking about.

Another ambiguous code is "red pilled", which means "seeing through political correctness." That can be anything from being a slightly anti-feminist libertarian to a no apologies jew wise White nationalist and figuring out in which sense it's being used is left for the reader to decode.

I did find out who Hatechan founder Fredrick Brennan is and why he's considered power invulnerable. He's confined to a wheelchair, maybe because he has the brittle bone disease that Samuel Jackson had in Unbreakable, but as usual there's so many memes and jokes being exchanged that I couldn't swear to it. His power invulnerable status seems to come from the fact that he's so screwed up physically that there's not much more the social justice warriors can do to ruin his life. His pre-existing condition trumps everything.

Brennan also seems to be jew wise, he started a thread using a shopped version of the A. Wyatt Mann jewface cartoon (known among channers as "Le Happy Merchant") and when replies called him on it he asked if they were surprised that he was revealing his "true power level", which means revealing just how politically incorrect you are.

From the context he seems to be full redpilled, as they say.

The rest of your post on the whole good points, don't disagree with any of it.

Old October 21st, 2014 #4
Robert Ransdell

Sam's post was about Buhls' writing, my post is not to take issue, agree or disagree with that viewpoint. I too am unfamiliar with "Gamergate", while I agree the audience there among WN would probably be small, one could also say that he may well have been gearing his piece toward that small section of people. No harm in that, unless you make post after post on that same topic, I guess then you risk losing the interest of a lot of people.

I just wanted to post this video because I think it says a hell of a lot about the man, again not to say Sam was trying to criticize the man beyond this article/piece, I just think highly of the man's courage and willingness to face the enemy, not sure how many have viewed this video.

Guy has BALLS OF STEEL! And this is not the first time he has taken on the reds and lived to tell about it.

- George Lincoln Rockwell concluding his speech at Brown University in 1966

Old October 22nd, 2014 #5
Sam Emerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ransdell View Post
I just wanted to post this video because I think it says a hell of a lot about the man, again not to say Sam was trying to criticize the man beyond this article/piece, I just think highly of the man's courage and willingness to face the enemy, not sure how many have viewed this video.

Guy has BALLS OF STEEL! And this is not the first time he has taken on the reds and lived to tell about it.
A good activist doesn't have to be a good writer, but if he's not he should find one to ghost write his articles.

Old November 23rd, 2014 #6
Sam Emerson

Default Buhls responds

Thomas Buhls has responded to my original post on Tradyouth.

Quote:
Last week Sam Emmerson at Vanguard News Network took me to task over my recommendations on how to deal with Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) saying that I didn’t go far enough in explaining the problem, nor in providing strong enough recommendations. His critique was fair, but I make no apologies for not having made my nine-step chart into a paint-by-numbers info-graphic suitable for the fringiest fringe of the White Nationalist community.
He goes on at length, taking an opportunity to attack VNN in all the usual ways. Not only does he have a problem with writing, his reading needs work. I never said he should cater to VNN readers. VNN readers don't need to be convinced that fighting Social Justice Warriors, promoting race realism and the jewish problem are all related. I'm talking about plain old good writing for the uninitiated reader who might find his blog while searching for information on Gamergate, SJWs or some other keyword. That's who he should be thinking of and working to inform. By writing a good overview of Gamergate he could have helped frame the issue. As it is the ordinary reader will click on the first link in his article and never come back.

Tags
8chan, gamergate, thomas buhls, tradyouth

Thread