VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 14th, 2015 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Welcome to Britain...you really didn't need to try so hard to get in

This is Peter Hitchens's Mail On Sunday Column

Another contributor to George Osborne’s dubious low-wage boom leaps nimbly from a Romanian lorry into the labour market.

The mystery is why this lithe person in a leather jacket, and his mates, have gone to so much trouble to evade the authorities – or why police in the Cotswolds bothered to round them up. I think it a very good bet that they will all still be here five years hence.

The world’s poor have discovered that the EU (that’s the country we live in, no point pretending there’s anywhere called Britain any more) has absolutely no clue how to stop determined immigrants.

In almost all cases, we allow them to stay, often because it is just too complicated and time-consuming to make them go away.

The astonishing abolition of internal borders, from Greece to Sweden, and from Spain to the Russian frontier, means that anyone who can get into the EU’s space can now get to Calais without any major risk of being stopped. And we know how hard it has proved to keep that gate closed.

Once they’re in, our own treasured freedoms work against us. Thanks to centuries of island freedom, when we were able to decide who came in and who didn’t, it is far easier to disappear in Britain than in almost any other country in the world. We’ll abolish those freedoms in the end, alas, but it won’t do any good.

And now the expensive navies of the EU are ferrying thousands more across the Mediterranean each week. The people-smugglers are saving a fortune on fuel, for they know their victims will be picked up before they are halfway across, in what are misleadingly described as ‘rescues’.

The only thing that will stop the flow is when the EU countries, including ours, become so like the places these people are fleeing from that there is no point in coming any more.

Sir Tim Hunt, a biochemist of such brilliance that he has won the Nobel Prize, has been forced out of a professorship. Is this because there is anything wrong with his science? Has he committed a crime, or told a lie, or done a cruel thing? No. I do not know Sir Tim, but I know people who do and by all accounts he is a man of great personal integrity, kindness and generosity, reluctant to refuse any request for help.

What he did was say something unfashionable about women. And for this, one of our greatest minds must make a public apology, and ‘resign’ from a post of honour. Unreason is in charge.

Why we will never escape from the EU

In the unlikely event of the ‘No’ side winning the EU referendum, what do you think will happen?

My advice is not to be too sure. On Thursday morning I called the Foreign Office, which is piloting the Referendum Bill through Parliament. I asked if there was anything in the Bill, or its schedules, about what specific actions would follow such a vote. I also asked if any Minister was on the record, in a speech or in the answer to a Parliamentary Question, on this matter.

There was nothing.

So there you are.

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co....to-get-in.html

Thread