Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old February 7th, 2019 #1
Alex Him

Post Vladimir Putin's speeches and events II

According to the proposal of Ray Allan - https://vnnforum.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=557 , I open the second topic about speeches and events of Vladimir Putin.

You can find the first topic here - https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=319431

Condolences to President of Mexico Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador

January 21, 2019 - 13:05

Vladimir Putin sent a message of condolences to President of the United Mexican States Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador over a pipeline explosion and fire in the State of Hidalgo.

The President of Russia conveyed his condolences to the victims’ families and friends and wished a speedy recovery to the injured.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59707

Talks with Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe

Vladimir Putin held talks at the Kremlin with Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe, who arrived in Russia on a working visit at the invitation of the Russian President.

January 22, 2019 - 18:20 - The Kremlin, Moscow

The two leaders discussed the state of and prospects for the development of bilateral cooperation in the political, trade, economic and humanitarian areas. Following on from the agreements reached at the previous meetings in Singapore and Buenos Aires, issues related to the conclusion of a peace treaty between the two countries were reviewed. The two leaders also exchanged views on major international and regional issues.

Following the talks, Vladimir Putin and Shinzo Abe made statements for the press.

President of Russia Vladimir Putin:

Mr Prime Minister, dear Shinzo, friends. I am delighted to welcome you to the Kremlin.

I am very pleased that our meetings have become regular, which allows us to discuss various issues related to the development of bilateral relations and the situation in the region.

I want to thank you for accepting our invitation and coming to visit us in Moscow on the way to an international event in Switzerland. Tentatively, our colleagues worked on many areas, including the economy and foreign policy, and issues pertaining to the peace treaty.

I am very glad to see you. Welcome!

Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe (retranslated):

Mr President, colleagues. I am happy to meet with you here at the beginning of this year as we agreed in Singapore and Buenos Aires.

Let me note that 2018 became a turning point in Russia-Japan relations. Now in 2019, Japan is planning many important events, such as the G20 Presidency.

For our part, we are ready to do all we can to make 2019 a year of the rapid [development of relations] between Japan and Russia.

I am pleased to say that our bilateral cooperation is producing tangible results in eight areas, including Japan-Russia cross years.

Today, I am planning to discuss the issues related to the conclusion of the peace treaty, with due account of the results of the foreign ministers’ meeting and the meeting of the negotiators last week. In addition, I hope for a straight exchange of views on bilateral relations and international issues with a view to developing our ties on a large scale.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59713

Press statements following talks with Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe

Following the talks, Vladimir Putin and Shinzo Abe made statements for the press.

January 22, 2019 - 18:30 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Mr Prime Minister, ladies and gentlemen,

Talks with the Prime Minister of Japan were held in a business-like and constructive atmosphere, and have just ended.

I want to mention that Mr Shinzo Abe and I maintain close working contact. This is our fourth meeting in six months. Most recently, in November and December 2018, we met in Singapore on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit and in Buenos Aires at the G20 summit. This dialogue at the highest level is reinforced by strong interaction in the Russian-Japanese Intergovernmental Commission, the two countries’ security councils, their foreign and defence ministries, including in the 2+2 format, and in the national parliaments. I believe that this intensity of political ties serves as confirmation of the interest of the two countries to develop cooperation based on the principles of good neighbourliness, respect and consideration for each other’s interests.

It was in such a positive manner that the Prime Minister and I discussed the bilateral agenda. As is customary, priority was given to the prospects for expanding trade and investment ties. We noted the gradual growth of mutual trade. In January-November 2018, volume increased 18 percent to almost $20 billion. Japanese investment in the Russian economy is about $2.2 billion.

The joint work on implementation of the initiatives that Mr Abe and I approved earlier continues. I am referring to the Japanese Plan of Cooperation in eight areas, which, as a matter of fact, was proposed by the Prime Minister, and the Russian list of priority investment projects. Japanese entrepreneurs are investing in many sectors of the Russian economy and participate in both the St Petersburg Forum and the Eastern Economic Forum.

There is much potential for enhancing energy cooperation. Gazprom, Mitsui and Mitsubishi are building a third technological line at the LNG plant as part of the Sakhalin-2 project. The possible involvement of our Japanese partners in the Arctic LNG-2, the Baltic LNG projects and the construction of an LNG terminal in the Kamchatka Territory is being studied. Russian experts are developing neutron detectors to identify damaged fuel to mitigate the consequences of the accident at the Fukushima-1 NPP.

Cooperation in transport and infrastructure is expanding. Last December Japanese companies purchased a 10 percent stake in the company that is managing the upgrade of Khabarovsk Airport. Joint trial runs of container shipments via the Trans-Siberian Railway were carried out. If they become regular, supplies of Japanese goods to third countries via Russian territory will increase manifold. Transport development along the Northern Sea Route, for LNG exports to Japan and states in the Asia-Pacific region, looks promising.

Thus, in general, Russian-Japanese economic cooperation is making steady progress. There are obvious achievements on this track. However, both Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and I share the view that a qualitative change has not yet been made and that the potential for bilateral cooperation has not been realised in full. Therefore, we discussed the development of more ambitious plans to expand economic ties in key areas: from trade to investment and technological cooperation. In particular, it will be possible, already in the coming years, to set a goal to increase Russian-Japanese trade by at least 50 percent to $30 billion.

We noted an increase in cultural contacts. The Russian-Japanese Cross Years of Culture, which Mr Abe and I launched in May 2018, are enjoying success. The programme includes over 400 different events held in our respective countries. Russia and Japan are co-hosts of the International Theatre Olympiad which will be held in St Petersburg and Toyama in the second half of the year and which will bring together performers from 30 countries.

Of course, we discussed the prospects for concluding a peace treaty. The Prime Minister and I spent a lot of time discussing this issue. We have been in dialogue with Mr Abe on this matter for several years now. In Singapore, we agreed with the Prime Minister to base the negotiation process on the 1956 Joint Declaration of the Soviet Union and Japan. This primarily provides for the conclusion of a peace treaty. We reiterated our interest in having this document signed. We appointed our respective foreign ministers as coordinators and they held the first round of talks in Moscow on January 14 and reported the results to us today.

I emphasise that there is long and painstaking work ahead to create proper conditions for reaching mutually acceptable solutions. Our goal is to ensure the long-term and comprehensive development of Russian-Japanese relations at a high-quality level. Of course, the decision that the negotiators will come up with should be acceptable to the peoples of Russia and Japan and supported by both. We agreed to continue our efforts to organise joint economic activities on the southern Kuril Islands in five previously approved areas, specifically, aquaculture, greenhouse farming, wind power generation, tourism and waste treatment, that is, addressing environmental issues.

In closing, I would like to thank the Prime Minister of Japan and all our Japanese friends and colleagues for the productive and informative exchange of opinions today. The discussion was candid and meaningful. I believe that this visit will be beneficial for our bilateral relations and will bring us closer to resolving the key issues of cooperation.

Thank you.

Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe (retranslated):

I was in Moscow eight months ago in May. With this winter cold and this coat of white snow, Moscow looks even more impressive.

Today, shortly after the new year began, President Putin and I were able to frankly discuss prospects for cooperation between Japan and Russia in various areas. This is a great start for Japanese-Russian relations in 2019.

Eight months ago, Vladimir and I, here in Moscow at the Bolshoi Theatre, announced the start of the first ever Japan-Russia cultural cross year. Now, six months later, we can say that the first half of the cross year was a success with over 500 events held in our countries. I hope that during the next six months (the President and I are expected to participate in the cross year closing ceremony in June) our cultural ties at various levels will become even stronger.

The number of Russians who visited Japan last year reached an all-time high. In general, the number of reciprocal visits is growing rapidly. Last year, it was about 100,000 tourists in each country. Last year, a large number of Japanese football fans went to Russia for the World Cup. They enjoyed a warm reception in all regions of your country. In Japan, a large number of football fans were fighting off sleep – there is the time difference between our countries – as they struggled to watch live televised broadcast of the matches and could feel the atmosphere of various Russian cities. We have set ourselves a goal to add even more dynamics to this trend and, by 2023, double the number of visits, that is, 200,000 tourists in each direction for a total of 400,000.

We will strive to make our economic ties closer and to develop ties in various areas of tourism and, of course, region-to-region relations as well as ties between our universities so that Japan and Russia can reach this goal.

Relations between the deputies and the parliaments of our countries continue to develop. Last July, President of the House of Councillors of the National Diet visited Russia and delivered a speech in the Russian Senate. This was the first such event in the history of the relations between our countries.

In December last year, the Japan-Russia Parliamentary Friendship Association signed a memorandum of understanding on further cooperation. Inter-deputy and inter-parliamentary relations are an important pillar in the development of Japanese-Russian relations, and we will support it this year.

More than two and a half years have passed since I proposed an eight-point cooperation plan. Over 170 projects came to life. Last month saw the beginning of the Japanese companies’ participation in the management of the Khabarovsk airport; a samurai bond was issued by Gazprom – such a decision was made. I welcome this constructive attitude from the companies of our countries to conduct business hand in hand.

Two years have passed since President Putin and I, in my hometown of Nagato, declared our sincere determination to conclude a peace treaty with our hands. We took the course to solve this problem based on a new approach. Our cooperation with President Putin is unprecedented: joint economic activities on three islands and two field studies were held, a business mission was sent, the members of which were mainly from private civil agencies, and a roadmap on proposed projects was developed. We see a concrete path ahead.

At today’s meeting, President Putin and I gave instructions to relevant people and agencies to work together clearly and promptly for the speedy implementation of joint economic activities.

Humane measures for the former inhabitants of the islands to visit the graves of their ancestors play a big role in creating confidence between the peoples of both countries on the way to concluding a peace treaty. In light of the agreements reached in Nagato, this was the first visit to these graves by plane. Today at the meeting, the President and I confirmed the significance of such activities and agreed that visiting the graves of ancestors by plane this year will be implemented in the summer.

President Putin and I spent a lot of time discussing the peace treaty today without hiding anything from each other.

President Putin and I welcome the fact that concrete talks began between our respective foreign ministers last week based on the agreement the President and I reached in Singapore, which is designed to expedite the talks on a peace treaty based on the 1956 Joint Declaration. We welcome the fact that the discussion during these talks was honest and serious. We instructed our foreign ministers to hold the next round of talks on the sidelines of the security conference in Munich in February, and our special heads of state representatives to take the talks to the next level.

This issue has remained without a resolution for over 70 years since the end of WWII. This is not an easy task to deal with, but we must resolve it. Under the firm leadership of President Putin and me, we must join our efforts and work energetically to ensure even greater trust in relations between the citizens of Japan and the citizens of Russia, the relations of friends, and the search for a mutually acceptable solution. Today, President Putin and I reiterated our determination to do this work.

To deepen trust in the sphere of security, this year we will expand ties between our respective defence ministries and border services. Japanese-Russian cooperation has already yielded a number of successful results in countering non-conventional threats, such as drug trafficking. We will be enhancing these efforts and expanding the scope of cooperation.

With regard to North Korea, our countries will continue to cooperate, because peace and stability in Northeast Asia is a major and common goal.

This year, we will be looking forward to a number of important events, such as the transfer of the throne from the emperor to the crown prince and a meeting of the G20 leaders in Osaka. In June, we invite Vladimir Putin to Japan for the G20 Summit. I look forward to our next meeting, the meeting of the leaders of Japan and Russia, as well as the closing ceremony for the cross years, which we will hold together.

In September-November, the Rugby World Cup will be held in Japan for the first time. The opening match will be held between the national teams of Japan and Russia. I am sure that both teams will show the best of what they have, and whatever team wins at the final whistle, we will congratulate and celebrate each other for a beautiful game.

May 2019 be a productive, eventful and good year for the citizens of Japan and Russia.

Thank you very much.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59714

Russia-Turkey talks

The President of Russia met at the Kremlin with President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan who arrived in Russia on a working visit.

January 23, 2019 - 17:40 - The Kremlin, Moscow

During a limited format meeting, Vladimir Putin and Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed key aspects of bilateral cooperation in the trade, economic, cultural and humanitarian areas, as well as issues pertaining to a Syrian settlement. Afterward, the talks continued with the participation of members of the delegations.

The heads of state held a joint news conference upon the completion of the talks.

Mr President,

I am pleased to welcome you here in Moscow.

We continue our practice of regular meetings, consultations and exchange of views, and I should note that this is yielding positive results.

In the first 10 months of 2018, bilateral trade grew more than in the entire previous year. The number of Russian tourists visiting Turkey last year rose by 30 percent to an all-time high of six million.

This goes to show how the citizens of our countries perceive the change in the nature and quality of Russian-Turkish relations.

Mr President, my dear friend, the credit for this largely goes to you personally. It is your personal achievement, because you devote significant attention to this matter.

Major joint projects are being implemented, and everything is going according to plan.

Of course, we also deal with regional security and cooperate extensively on Syria.

Welcome, I am happy to see you.

President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan (retranslated):

My dear friend, after the frequent meetings that you and I had in 2018, this will be our first meeting in 2019.

Indeed, our relations are expanding in many spheres, including culture, military and trade.

Undoubtedly, the fact that our relations are expanding is having a ripple effect on regional security. No doubt, our solidarity is making a significant contribution to regional security.

We held trilateral summits in Sochi, Tehran and Ankara as part of the Astana process, which have made a great contribution to promoting this process, and I believe our meeting will also be beneficial for it.

Our expanding relations in tourism show that our respective countries and peoples continue to strengthen their ties.

As you have noted, our trade relations are on the rise, and this trend will continue into the future. During our meetings, you set the goal of taking our trade to the $100 billion mark.

I would also like to take this opportunity to express my condolences to the families of those who died in the collision of two ships in the Kerch Strait. It is well known that 16 Turkish citizens died in this accident.

Thank you very much, Mr Putin, for your sympathetic approach to this matter.

(Speaking Russian) Thank you.

Vladimir Putin:

I want to express my condolences on the deaths of those Turkish citizens.

The incident occurred outside our territorial sea in neutral waters as fuel was being pumped from one ship to another.

Indeed, our first responders acted promptly and did their best to save the people. Still, it is a major tragedy for the victims’ families and the people who were injured.

Please accept my condolences.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59717

News conference following Russian-Turkish talks

Vladimir Putin and President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan held a joint news conference after Russian-Turkish consultations.

January 23, 2019 - 21:30 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Mr President, ladies and gentlemen,

Regrettably, on the eve of our talks, reports of a tragic accident on the Black Sea arrived. We talked about this at the beginning of our meeting. Turkish sailors are among the dead. I would like to express my sincere condolences once again in this connection.

Mr President and I work closely and meet regularly. Our meetings are always intensive and, without exaggeration, productive. This has a positive influence on our practical work.

The Russia-Turkey-Iran summits in Ankara and Tehran, as part of the Astana process, are also very productive. They were devoted to the settlement in Syria. We are preparing to host another summit in Russia soon. Mr President and I have already agreed on the venue and tentative date. We will have to coordinate this with our Iranian partners.

Today, our talks took place in a constructive and businesslike atmosphere, something that is traditional for Russian-Turkish talks. We largely concentrated on economic issues and humanitarian ties but certainly spoke at length about the situation in Syria. We discussed in detail the prospects for the inter-Syrian political process.

Russia and Turkey assume a clear-cut position of principle – to achieve a long-term settlement of the Syrian crisis on a political and diplomatic basis, primarily, in line with UN Security Council Resolution 2254 and with strict observance of the unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country.

It is in this vein that Mr President and I discussed issues of cooperation in the Astana format. At this time, this format is the most effective mechanism for settling the conflict in Syria.

We, of course, focused on establishing a Constitutional Committee, which will deal with key aspects of the future structure of the state in Syria. Let me remind you that Russian and Turkish diplomats, in close contact with their Iranian colleagues, carried out serious work to coordinate the membership of this committee and honoured all agreements we reached with France and Germany in Istanbul.

Sadly, we failed to form this Constitutional Committee before the end of last year, though our efforts laid a strong and balanced foundation for launching a stable and viable political settlement process.

We also discussed issues related to finally putting a stop to all terrorist groups’ activities in Syria. In particular, we talked about implementing the Russian-Turkish Memorandum on establishing a demilitarised zone in Idlib, which we signed in Sochi. We can see that our Turkish partners spare no effort to eliminate the terrorist threat emanating from there.

At the same time, we must work together with the aim of finally relieving tensions in that area. In this context, we discussed what additional steps Russia and Turkey could take to stabilise the situation around Idlib.

We proceed from the premise that supporting the ceasefire should not come at the expense of the struggle against terrorists, which is to be continued.

Another topic of discussion was the US leadership’s intention to withdraw US troops from the north-east of Syria and its effect on developments in the Syrian Arab Republic going forward. If these plans are really executed, it will be a positive step and would help stabilise the situation in this troubled area of Syria, currently under the control of Kurdish formations.

In this context, we support official Damascus entering into dialogue with Kurdish representatives. This dialogue would doubtless promote the consolidation of Syrian society and national accord, which would be in the interests of both Syria and all neighbouring countries.

Cooperation between Russia and Turkey in the post-conflict development of Syria is of great importance. The President and I agreed that the military forces and diplomats of both our countries would continue coordinated efforts in this direction with the aim of encouraging the large-scale return of Syrian refugees and internally displaced persons.

When speaking about the current aspect of bilateral relations, we noted that economic cooperation was increasing. Trade for January-November 2018 increased by 18 percent to $23 billion or more than over the whole year of 2017.

The High-Level Russian-Turkish Cooperation Council has been working efficiently to coordinate Russian-Turkish partnership in a number of spheres. The council’s next meeting will be held in Russia this year.

Russia and Turkey are working together on major projects, primarily in energy. Last November in Istanbul, the President of Turkey and I took part in a ceremony marking the completion of the TurkStream gas pipeline’s offshore section. I would like to remind everyone that within less than 18 months we have built two underwater lines of this project of major importance for Russia and Turkey; each line will carry 15.75 billion cubic metres of natural gas. We hope the onshore part of the project will proceed at a comparable pace, so that we will be able to launch the pipeline according to plan by the end of 2019.

The launch of this new gas pipeline is important for the energy security of both Turkey and southern and southeastern Europe.

We are on course to implement another major project, the construction of Turkey’s first nuclear power plant, Akkuyu. We are building the first power unit for it and plan to put it into operation in 2023, in time for the 100th anniversary of the Republic of Turkey, just as Mr President has instructed.

We welcome the Turkish business community’s interest in expanding operations in the Russian market. In this context, we have invited Turkey to attend the INNOPROM-2019 International Industrial Trade Fair, which will be held in Yekaterinburg in July, as a partner country.

Of course, we also discussed our cultural and humanitarian ties. We are preparing to hold the cross-years of culture and tourism in Russia and Turkey.

Russia firmly holds first place in the number of foreign tourists visiting Turkey. Nearly six million Russian tourists visited Turkey in 2018. Our Turkish partners have developed close cooperation with us in order to ensure the comfort and security of Russian visitors.

I would like to conclude by saying that our talks with Mr Erdogan were meaningful and fruitful. They will undoubtedly help strengthen Russian-Turkish relations on the principles of neighbourliness and respect for one another’s interests.

I would like to thank President Erdogan for accepting our invitation to come to Moscow today.

Thank you very much.

President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan (retranslated):

Mr President, my dear friend,

Delegation heads and members of the media,

I wholeheartedly greet all of you.

I would like to say once again that I am delighted to be in Russia. In your presence, I would like to express my gratitude to Mr President for the warm welcome accorded to us.

We have come to Russia shortly after the terrible tragedy in the Kerch Strait. Four of the 16 dead are Turkish citizens. The search and rescue operation is still going on.

May those who have died rest in peace. I wish courage and patience to the victims’ families and speedy recovery to those injured. I extend our condolences to the other countries whose citizens have died.

Despite the adverse weather, Russia conducted the search and rescue operation in full. I would like to express our gratitude to Mr Putin and all representatives of the Russian team.

We maintain close and very good cooperation in all spheres, including the economy, trade, energy and culture. Being our countries’ leaders, Mr Putin and I can say that our cooperation is growing stronger from day to day.

Our economic cooperation is growing progressively, and our bilateral trade is on the rise. As Mr President has noted, our trade has reached $26 billion.

Our two main projects – the Akkuyu nuclear power plant and the TurkStream gas pipeline – are moving forward consistently.

This year we plan to hold a large number of events as part of the cross-year of culture and tourism.

Russia holds the leading place in terms of the tourists visiting Turkey. Last year, we had some 6 million Russian tourists. We expect the number to increase considerably this year.

As for visa-free travel, we had this issue on our agenda and we discussed it. The introduction of this procedure would have a great impact on our relations in terms of mutual travel.

As far as Syria is concerned, we discussed both the Idlib memorandum and the quadripartite summit. We also assessed the US decision to pull out its forces.

Cooperation between Turkey and Russia is a touchstone of Syrian peace and stability. Together with our Russian friends, we intend to strengthen our coordination still further. It is of critical importance in this respect not to allow a vacuum of power to take shape after the US pullout.

Our only goal as a state is to fight terrorist groups and to clear the territory from these elements, primarily ISIS and YPG. We know well who supports them. We are particularly opposed to the terrorist organisations that are attempting to undermine our relations with Russia.

We will work in close coordination and will rapidly implement the decisions approved in this area.

A Constitutional Committee should be formed within a brief timeframe. We would like to accelerate work in this area, particularly the joint efforts by the relevant colleagues. We hope and we are certain that the job will be done soon.

We have reviewed the problem of Syrian refugees. This issue is clearly affecting us because my country is giving refuge to 3.5 million Syrians.

Over 300,000 Syrians have returned to their homes in both the Operation Euphrates Shield zone and the Operation Olive Branch zone. These people have resumed normal life that is far removed from terrorism and various problems.

All of this should be implemented and extended to other territories in Syria and the eastern bank of the Euphrates. We will work accordingly in all formats – both bilateral and the Astana formats.

We will hold a new trilateral summit in Russia with my friend Mr Rouhani. We are also planning that Russia will host a meeting of the High-Level Cooperation Council.

I would like to express the wish that the decisions we have approved only benefit our countries and to thank my dear friend Mr Putin for his hospitality.

Question (retranslated):

About the security zone [buffer zone]: are there any specific achievements in bilateral negotiations with the American side? Was this question on today's agenda?

Mr Putin, what is Russia’s approach to this issue? Thank you.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan:

Meetings continue on the creation of a security zone. All the regions that pose a threat to us are very important, and we must take appropriate measures. In our contacts with the Americans, we can see that they have a positive approach to our requirements [to create a buffer zone] of 25–30 kilometres.

We have no problems with Russia in this regard, because these regions will be cleared of terrorists. After that, our respective authorities, the ministers of foreign affairs and the ministers of defence will do the required work, and we will remain sensitive to this issue.

Vladimir Putin:

In this connection, I would like to remind you that the American military personnel are present on the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic illegally. There are no international legal grounds for having them there, neither an invitation from the legitimate government, nor a decision of the United Nations Security Council.

At the same time, as you know, we have established constructive cooperation with our American partners in the fight against terrorism, including in Syria. I hope that this work will continue. This is my first point.

The second. We respect the interests of our Turkish friends in ensuring their security.

And the third. The 1998 treaty between the Syrian Arab Republic and the Republic of Turkey is still valid, and it deals specifically with the fight against terrorism. I think this is the legal framework that covers many issues relating to ensuring Turkey’s security on its southern borders. Today we have been discussing this issue thoroughly and intensively enough.

Question:

Mr Erdogan, Mr Putin,

My question will have several parts but all of them deal with the same subject.

First of all, I would like to ask you to clarify the situation in Idlib, where, despite a degree of success, terrorists continue to operate actively and where more and more violations of the ceasefire regime are recorded. What agreements have you reached today for resolving this situation?

Another matter I would like to ask you to clarify is the Constitutional Committee that was mentioned today. Its membership has not yet been made public. What, in your opinion, are the main obstacles to finalising this process, and how do you plan to overcome them?

Vladimir Putin:

The first part of your question deals with Idlib and the Idlib security zone.

Indeed, we have discussed this matter in great detail today (I talked about it, and President Erdogan has also noted this). I would like to repeat once again, we can see that our Turkish friends are working hard to fulfil all our agreements in order to guarantee security and set up a buffer zone there. Unfortunately, many problems persist there, and our Turkish partners and we can see all this.

We have agreed on how to coordinate our work in the short term. Defence ministers held additional consultations in our presence, and they are drafting additional joint measures. We will implement them, and we will see to it that all our agreements are fulfilled. We agree that we must continue to jointly fight terrorists wherever they are, including in the Idlib zone.

Regarding the second question about establishing the Constitutional Committee, we believe that this is a very important process that should reinforce our achievements on the ground in the fight against terrorists because all long-term issues can only be completely resolved by political and diplomatic methods alone.

It is essential to press for accord between all warring parties in Syria. This can only be accomplished through talks, including talks on establishing a stable institution of state authority that would be accepted by all denominations and ethnic groups. This institution should make everyone feel that they are involved in the future of their homeland, the Syrian Arab Republic.

As for difficulties, they have, unfortunately, arisen, and I have also noted this. All of us, all the parties involved in this process, should display additional political will, greater consistency, and a sincere desire to achieve results. I want to emphasise the latter aspect.

As you know, the leaders of Russia, Turkey, France and the Federal Republic of Germany met in Istanbul at the initiative of the President of Turkey, and agreed to jointly establish this committee.

Our colleagues asked Russia to coordinate these matters regarding this committee’s line-up with the Syrian Government and our Iranian partners. The Republic of Turkey had to accomplish a difficult task and to coordinate this list with representatives of the opposition.

We have completed this difficult job. I assure you that we have coordinated this matter during a difficult discussion with Damascus and Tehran. I am sure that it was not easy for our Turkish friends to coordinate this list with the opposition.

However, we know, and not just know, but, I think, Mr President will confirm this: we coordinated and agreed with what was declared by the Turkish side. The work was over, but suddenly, at the final stage, when it was necessary to put a full stop, we heard in Geneva that some of our partners regarded this job as unfinished.

For us, this was absolutely unexpected. I think this can be found even in the Internet. I mean a letter to the UN Secretary-General, a letter signed and sent on behalf of the permanent representatives of France, Germany, and Great Britain. Item 5 of the letter states that Special Representative Mr de Mistura is not to approve any statement concerning the Constitutional Committee which the Astana guarantors will make in Geneva on December 18–19.

For us, this was absolutely unexpected, and now I even find it difficult to comment on this appeal to the Secretary-General by our partners. But we will, of course, practice patience and will continue working with them, too, although we can hardly understand what their position is based on.

I have already had conversations with my counterparts from France and the Federal Republic of Germany. I hope our foreign ministries will manage to organise this work in such a way as to restore the former level of trust.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan:

My dear friend has given a clear and concise reply on both Idlib and the Constitutional Committee, because we had been in contact on these matters earlier.

In Idlib, we will fight the terrorist organisations jointly, as we agreed, because this fight is a protracted rather than a one-time affair. Our main goal is to make sure that the Syrian people enjoy calm and stability, and to deprive the terrorist elements of opportunities. We have once again reiterated our support for each other in this matter.

As far as the Constitutional Committee is concerned, we have clearly stated on this issue that our foreign ministries will go on with their work.

Mr De Mistura was present at our summit and we have his representative here.

How will the new process continue and what it will be like?

But the letter that was quoted just now really surprised all of us. But this is sooner their problem, not ours.

At the Istanbul summit, we all demonstrated that a joint solution had been reached and we will continue advancing in this direction. In this regard, my dear friend and I are of the same opinion. We hope that this effort will be crowned with success. But the work must continue in this direction.

Thank you.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59718

Telephone conversation with Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov

Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Prime Minister of the Republic of Bulgaria Boyko Borisov.

January 24, 2019 - 17:45

The discussion covered a number of important current issues of bilateral cooperation, including in the field of energy.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59721

Greetings to participants, organisers and guests of 30th KVN International Festival gala concert

Vladimir Putin sent a message of greetings to the participants, organisers and guests of the gala concert devoted to the 30th anniversary of the KVN International Festival.

January 24, 2019 - 19:00

The message reads, in part:

“The current Festival has brought together in hospitable Sochi thousands of talented and creative young people from Russia and other countries, for whom being a member of the friendly and cohesive fraternity of the Club of the Funny and Inventive (KVN) has become an important, inalienable part of their lives. It has given them a wonderful opportunity to work on the same stage, exchange positive experience and meet with their devoted fans who are sincerely fond of the thrilling game called the Club of the Funny and Inventive, know its participants and the wonderful traditions that pass from one generation to another. After all, there are no former members of this club and many of those whom this project made famous remain in contact with this club to this day.”

The Club of the Funny and Inventive (KVN) is a popular humorous television gameshow, in which teams from universities, businesses, cities and countries compete in offering humorous answers to questions, and performing improvisations on set themes, rehearsed genre scenes, etc.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59723

Telephone conversation with President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro

Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with the President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro.

January 24, 2019 - 19:35

The President of Russia expressed support for the legitimate Venezuelan authorities amid the worsening of the internal political crisis provoked from outside the country. He emphasised that destructive external interference is a gross violation of the fundamental norms of international law. He spoke in favour of searching for solutions within the constitutional framework and overcoming differences in Venezuelan society through peaceful dialogue.

The President of Venezuela provided his assessment of the dangerous turn of events in his country in recent days and expressed gratitude for the principled stance taken by the Russian Federation.

The presidents reaffirmed their shared desire to continue Russian-Venezuelan cooperation in a variety of areas.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59724

Condolences to President of Brazil Jair Messias Bolsonaro

January 27, 2019 - 12:00

Vladimir Putin sent a message of condolences to President of the Federative Republic of Brazil Jair Messias Bolsonaro in connection with the tragic aftermath of the disaster in Minas Gerais.

The President of Russia conveyed his deepest sympathy and support to the victim’s friends and families and his wishes of a speedy recovery to the injured.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59735

Condolences to President of the Republic of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte

Vladimir Putin sent condolences to President of the Republic of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte in connection with the tragic aftermath of the terrorist attack in Jolo.

January 27, 2019 - 13:20

“A crime committed against civilians who had congregated for church services is shocking in its cynicism and cruelty. I expect that the masterminds and perpetrators of this crime will sustain the punishment they deserve.

I would like to reiterate our readiness to further step up interaction with our Philippine partners in combating the terrorist threat in all its forms and manifestations.

People in Russia share the grief of the victims’ friends and families and hope for a prompt recovery of the injured.”

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59737

Old February 7th, 2019 #2
Alex Him

Meeting with Accounts Chamber Chairman Alexei Kudrin

Vladimir Putin held a meeting with Accounts Chamber Chairman Alexei Kudrin, who briefed the President on the Chamber’s performance, as well as on its cooperation with the International Organisation of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI) on financial audits.

January 21, 2019 - 13:45 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Mr Kudrin, you are, of course, a very experienced person, and we both know this. However, the position you now occupy is something new for you. Six months have passed since your appointment, haven’t they?

Chairman of the Accounts Chamber Alexei Kudrin:

Yes.

Mr President, we have summed up the results for the Accounts Chamber’s work. Over the past year and under my chairmanship, the Accounts Chamber Board held 42 meetings and reviewed 272 initiatives by supervisory agencies, including control activities, as well as expert and analytics reviews.

Expert and analytical reviews usually focus on system-wide problems that we study across the country, such as the use of land resources or the operation of magistrates’ courts. This can also include, for example, the use of the 112 System in emergencies or SMEs promotion. In all these cases we carry out comprehensive nationwide reviews.

Vladimir Putin:

Do you want to say that instead of just looking at spending figures, you review the matter in question in its entirety?

Alexei Kudrin:

We look at how the entire system works and whether it is efficient. It is for this reason that we have increased the number of inspections of this kind in keeping with the Law on the Accounts Chamber. The Accounts Chamber’s mission is to assess the performance of strategic goals and under strategic documents. We now pay more attention to these matters.

The innovative methods as well as approaches practiced by the Accounts Chamber include strategic audit techniques which is a global trend, and most audit chambers around the world are increasing the share of strategic audit in their inspections, thereby working for the state and explaining what works and what does not in achieving strategic goals.

In this regard, already in 2019 we will more strictly monitor the implementation of national tasks and national projects as a control authority that is independent from the executive branch, often working together when discussing the reasons for failure to fulfil or, conversely, best practices. In this sense, we are partially conducting such a restructuring.

In addition, we are increasing the share of digital data analysis methods that would allow us to do off-site analyses of a wider range of events. Of course, data in our country is still maintained very poorly. We need to improve the quality of databases and their compatibility. In this sense, we also identified the risk-based approach as one of our spheres of focus. We are looking for places where the risk of theft and the risk of non-fulfilment of strategic goals is the greatest.

During my chairmanship, 170 representations were sent to the ministries, departments and heads of institutions, 15 orders (in cases where the initial representations were not acted upon), and 220 information letters. In addition, 23 materials were sent to the Prosecutor General’s Office, 8 to the Federal Security Service, and 4 to the Investigative Committee, which are also being worked on. As a rule, the materials are confirmed and follow-up actions continue.

In this connection, as I have already said, today we enhance the quality of our work being guided by new approaches of strategic audit and improving the quality of the financial audit too.

There is one more event of interest to the Accounts Chamber next year.

Vladimir Putin:

Next year or this year?

Alexei Kudrin:

In the year 2019.

In September, Russia will host INCOSAI XXIII, a triennial congress of supreme audit institutions. The International Organisation of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI) is an umbrella organisation of the global audit community. With 194 countries as its members, it is the second largest organisation after the UN. The member states are represented at a high level, usually by former ministers and deputy prime ministers. They are usually regarded as independent professionals in charge of supreme government auditing in their countries. Therefore, it will be a very representative congress, during which some 850 delegates will discuss the organisations’ performance over a period of the past three years.

Russia will be the chair of INTOSAI for the next three years. This is why we are drafting a declaration of the congress together with working groups from many countries. Such declarations usually stipulate the implementation or the promotion of new modern approaches to auditing. Part of the approaches in our declaration will have to do with the development of strategy-related auditing as well as digital methods.

Two main reports will be delivered at the congress. Russia will report on the analysis of achieving national goals and the analysis methods, the so-called strategy-related auditing. Another report will be made by China and will deal with the development of digital technology in auditing. Both Russia and China are cooperating with working groups, which usually include up to 20 countries. The drafts of these reports are now being discussed in the international audit community. In other words, Russia will become the central venue for government auditing this year.

Vladimir Putin:

Very good.

Mr Kudrin, you have mentioned strategy-related auditing. I believe that as a former government member who prepared documents that are comparable to the current national projects, and also in your current capacity, you are in a position to gauge the efficiency of the state in attaining its goals. I hope that with you as its head, the Accounts Chamber will operate in this spirit and will provide considerable assistance to the implementation of our national projects.

Alexei Kudrin:

This is exactly what we intend to do.

Vladimir Putin:

Thank you.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59708

Visit to Moscow State University

Vladimir Putin visited the historical building of Moscow State University at Mokhovaya Street ahead of Russian Students Day.

January 23, 2019 - 14:50 - Moscow

During his visit to the MSU Museum of Anthropology, the President was shown the veil from the reliquary of St Zosima of Solovki (died on April 17, 1478), a co-founder of the Solovetsky Monastery. The image embroidered in gold thread on gold cloth was found in the museum’s collection in 2017 and subsequently restored at the Grabar Art Conservation Centre. According to the centre’s experts, the veil was manufactured at the turn of the 19th century. A similar veil of St Zosima made in 1661 is kept in the collection of the State Russian Museum in St Petersburg.

Vladimir Putin also met with MSU students, who showed him their designs for a digital culture and education centre for students and for the National Student Theatre Festival. They also told the President about the LANAT School Research Laboratory, which aims to encourage talented children to get involved in research projects.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59715

Meeting of Moscow State University Board of Trustees

A meeting of Moscow State University Board of Trustees was held under Vladimir Putin’s chairmanship in the historic building of the Lomonosov Moscow State University on Mokhovaya Street.

The participants discussed interim results of implementing the Moscow State University development programme, further steps to enhance its competitiveness, as well as its participation in advanced research.

January 23, 2019 - 16:10 - Moscow

Good afternoon, friends.

I am happy to welcome you all to this meeting of the Board of Trustees of Moscow State University. First of all, I would like to thank you all for the substantial support that you are rendering to the country’s leading university.

Today we will discuss the results of our joint work and map out plans for the future.

The high prestige of Moscow State University and the quality of its fundamental education – in both science and the humanities – are recognised in the entire world. Obviously, this is the result of the work of many generations of outstanding professors and researchers that created unique scientific schools here.

Today, Moscow State University’s research teams are playing a tangible role in advanced international projects, such as LIGO, dedicated to the study of gravitation waves and the origin of the Universe, thereby making a substantial contribution to the development of modern astronomy and cosmology.

Students and post-graduate students have grants from the Russian Science Foundation and the Russian Foundation for Basic Research; laboratories with a broad range of scientific subjects – from chemistry and physics to neurosciences and medicine – are being established for young researchers.

Clearly, the university’s vast scientific and educational potential should be used more effectively in training highly skilled specialists capable of dealing with national development tasks in public administration, the economy and in the social sphere, and ensuring a breakthrough in the areas that matter in this new technological era.

In a word, the entire Russian higher education system and, of course, Moscow State University as its flagship – which it certainly is – are designed to play a significant role in reaching the strategic goals facing the country.

In particular, we need discoveries, pilot projects and finished products in priority areas, including, for example, artificial intelligence, and people who are able to come up with such breakthrough solutions. All the more so as Moscow State University boasts strong competences in math and physics, including quantum physics, big data analysis and complex mathematical simulation, and it enjoys advantages in information technology.

Incidentally, last year the university team won the World Programming Championship in Beijing – we just discussed this with the rector – and surpassed not only the traditionally strong hosts of the championship, but also outperformed its competitors from a number of Russian universities, including, I believe, some that are based in my native city of St Petersburg.

We also hope that Moscow State University will play a significant role in implementing the genetic research programme that will focus on biosafety, medicine, pharmaceuticals, microbiology and agriculture.

Advanced research in these areas is impossible without biobanks, which are global repositories of biological materials. A group of young researchers from Moscow State University has been actively working on this since 2015.

In general, the university has accumulated significant findings in biomedical and chemical research in recent years. It is no coincidence that the National Anti-Doping Laboratory is opening at Moscow State University.

Colleagues, I would like to repeat that the dynamics of technological change is very high; today, it is not enough to just move forward, not enough to just move. It is necessary, as the saying goes, to rapidly gain pace and rapidly improve one’s positions.

Of course, Moscow State University, by most indicators in reliable ratings, is ahead of all Russian higher educational institutions. This is an obvious fact. However, at the same time, new and strong university leaders are strengthening their position. This means that both global and domestic competition is on the rise, and I am hopeful and looking forward to continued growth, which is an important condition for our science and universities to raise their levels. This is certainly a good thing but also a challenge to Moscow State University.

Other universities are already breathing down your neck, as they say, and – I think Mr Sadovnichy will agree with this – they are pressing Moscow State University hard in a number of areas, such as physics, which has traditionally been a strong discipline here. Incidentally, some of the best secondary school graduates, including winners and prize winners at the All Russia Olympiad of School Students, choose – generally, this is certainly highly positive where education is concerned, but Moscow State University should think about this – often choose not only Moscow State University but also other leading Russian universities, including in the Russian Federation’s regions.

Moreover, talented young people are placing increasingly higher demands. Those, who during their school years participated in Russian and international Olympiads, say that sometimes there is a lack of substance and a similarly intense rhythm, and that contrary to this, they are ready to dive deeper in the hope that it will bring important results.

So, in order to be and remain among the leaders, and in this particular case – the leader, the university should constantly seek to renew itself, while retaining the fundamentality and best traditions; it should eliminate anything that can hinder development or, what is more, somehow affect the prestige of our leading university.

What I mean, what I would like to draw your attention to, and I believe the university administration will agree with me. It is good to study related disciplines in different departments: they can look at a problem from different angles, which is very good, because many of the discoveries over the past century have been made at the junction of different sciences. But when they simply start cloning departments and faculties for the same programmes, this is a bit too much, probably.

I am aware that life is complex and diverse, and it is often difficult to avoid this kind of department cloning, because the people are good and deserving, and you need to do something for them, create something for them, but you still need to be primarily guided by the end cause and work for the end result.

Three different departments at Moscow State University train economists; seven offer management programmes. Does that mean the degrees are the same, but the skillsets are different? We need to understand how effective this is, we have to take a closer look. This is not a catastrophe, but it requires attention.

I am sure that the university administration is well aware of this: today we need cross-cutting education and research programmes, a more intensive development of the interdisciplinary approach, including at the junction of the humanities and the exact sciences (those cognitive sciences that Mr Sadovnichy repeatedly spoke of – they are at the junction of disciplines) in the areas of scientific and technological development that we have talked about many times.

The most important task is to strengthen the research and teaching staff, to attract truly outstanding researchers, both Russian and foreign, who possess expertise and competencies in promising, emerging areas, to develop academic exchange programmes with other universities.

This kind of openness should promote dynamic, confident development, and increase the attractiveness and authority of the Russian education system among the post-Soviet states and beyond. The university should further promote the best education traditions through its branches, centres of Russian language and culture, and the training of foreign students.

We certainly need projects aimed at resolving the major challenges of the future. For example, we should speed up the process of creating a science and technology centre to combine the potential of Moscow State University, the Russian Academy of Sciences and our leading companies. We have just discussed one component of this plan.

A special law has been passed to implement this project. I very much hope that the practical steps will not be slow to arrive.

Let us talk about all these things, and others that you consider important for the development of Moscow State University.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59716

Meeting with Chairperson of the Central Election Commission Ella Pamfilova

Vladimir Putin had a working meeting with Chairperson of the Central Election Commission Ella Pamfilova who told the President about preparations for the upcoming regional elections.

January 24, 2019 - 13:40 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Ms Pamfilova, there was a major election campaign last year, our colleagues worked actively and professionally, they coped effectively with this amount of work. This year, almost 50 percent of Russian regions will hold multi-level elections, including gubernatorial elections and those to local legislatures. What else can we do to help you carry out the work as effectively this year?

Chairperson of the Central Election Commission Ella Pamfilova:

Yes, Mr President, first of all, thank you very much for your constant attention and support.

Indeed, we are continuing with the intensive work on the development of the election system. We are using a systemic approach here. We need to simultaneously improve all key aspects, including the legal framework, practical law enforcement, as well as retooling and re-equipment. Issues dealing with the human resources potential, including the training of personnel and all measures in general, are very important. And I have brought some proposals to you in connection with this.

I would like to once again thank you for your support in giving us access to the Digital Russia programme. This is very important, and will allow us to continue developing. When we came up with the Mobile Voter concept (thankfully, you and the legislators supported us), people came to believe in it. Over seven million people have made use of this facility to date. We will continue to expand it.

Vladimir Putin:

Guaranteeing the constitutional right to take part in elections.

Ella Pamfilova:

Yes. In effect, we eliminated many barriers, and we suggested the Voting is Easy slogan. Naturally, voters might face a difficult choice, especially during competitive and important elections. Voting is not easy, and thoughtful people need to know how to vote. On the other hand, the voting process must be easy, simple, transparent and accessible. This includes long-distance options; and everything must be available. We are now working in this direction, and I want to say that we will try to make everything as simple and accessible for everyone as possible, as well as understandable and transparent for civic control.

Much has already been accomplished in this area with your help. In 2012, we started installing CCTV cameras on your initiative. We later went even further, and CCTV cameras are now installed at territorial election commissions. Today, we are working with Rostelecom to provide regular, long-term and better video equipment and surveillance with QR codes and other measures to ensure the system is as transparent as possible. Young people like this. We will continue our work. In effect, we are creating new capabilities, and the Digital Russia software allows us to do this.

We are now using everything; we work with integrated government and municipal services centres and the Integrated Government Services website. We are set to create new digital voting capabilities in the run-up to federal and regional elections. We are planning to streamline a pilot project as soon as 2019, that is, during the upcoming elections in Moscow. For example, a number of polling stations will open in Moscow, and the Mobile Voter system will allow people currently staying in Moscow, rather than in their own respective regions, to vote for their governors and legislators in all regions and territories, due to host elections at specially equipped digital polling stations in Moscow.

In time for the 2021 major election campaign, we plan to open some 5,000 digital polling stations, which will lift all the obstacles, so that voters will be able to take part not only in the federal but also in regional elections even when they are not in their home regions on voting day. This is what we plan to do and, I hope, what we will accomplish.

These unique digital services are designed not only for voters, but also for the candidates, observers and members of the media. In other words, these services will take public monitoring of the election process to a fundamentally new level. This will enhance public trust in the election results. We want to involve everyone in the zone of responsibility. This is our first goal.

Where do we need your assistance? Mr President, we do need your help. In addition to what I have said and where you have already helped, we have a problem with the role of law enforcement agencies in ensuring election compliance, that is, in preventing violations. For our part, we have done everything we could. The lawmakers have upgraded punishment for violations and falsification, and we use all the available technical means to prevent this. We have replaced the heads of election commissions and other personnel in the regions where we had complaints.

As a result of this, the number of violations and complaints is gradually decreasing. When we reveal violations, we resolutely cancel elections. We replace [commission] heads and punish those we have the authority to punish. But this is not enough; people must be aware of the inevitability of punishment for their misdeeds.

Unfortunately, there were problems even at the latest elections. Who is responsible for the cancellation of elections? We cancelled the elections. Who is to blame for this? We suspect or know who, but we do not have the investigative authority. I believe that it is vital to get this procedure into shape. I have forwarded the available material to the Prosecutor’s Office and the Investigative Committee. There are only a few unresolved matters, but we must deal with them. We must identify and punish the organisers of these violations. Those who are to blame for the cancelled elections must not evade punishment, so that nobody would try to do what they did. This is where we need your help.

There is another very important matter that has to do with law enforcement agencies. We process a tremendous amount of candidates’ case files during large-scale campaigns. Sometimes, we have to process 260,000–300,000 documents, and we need to see whether there have been any convictions. This does not concern just the candidates. We have another problem. If we deal with them in such a tough and exacting manner, then we must also be tough and exactingly with election commission members. Under the law, we must also find out whether any prospective election commission members have any valid convictions or not.

Unfortunately, we are facing major problems here. We do not have such an integrated centre and database. Every agency has something. Overall, the Interior Ministry cannot cope with this. Therefore, I suggest that this issue either be resolved under the law, or the Interior Ministry should be vested with the relevant powers. Or we should establish some inter-departmental centre because, to be honest, this is a national security issue and there are many aspects to it. This is my request.

Vladimir Putin:

All right, let us work on the first and second issues. And what are the current levels of technology and equipment for your work this year?

Ella Pamfilova:

This year… I have a number of proposals. First of all, this concerns minor legislative amendments. Second, technical support for the Elections state automated system, our federal information centre is also important. I hope that you will support us.

We also need support in some other areas. There are plans for a nationwide census in 2020, and we have generally established a good basis for it. This does not amount to support. To my mind, it is necessary to use the potential of election commissions during the upcoming census because we have done a lot to finalise the lists of voters. We have worked with the Foreign Ministry, the Interior Ministry, all immigration services, all agencies and our diplomatic missions abroad to complete this database.

Vladimir Putin:

Yes, I agree.

Ella Pamfilova:

Thank you.

Vladimir Putin:

Your highly professional colleagues are working in a well-organised manner. Therefore, it would be best to involve your colleagues in the population census. I agree, let us do this.

Ella Pamfilova:

Thank you.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59719

Meeting with permanent members of the Security Council

Vladimir Putin chaired a meeting with permanent members of the Security Council.

January 25, 2019 - 14:30 - The Kremlin, Moscow

The President informed the meeting participants about his recent talks with Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe and President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The participants exchanged views on Syria, specifically prospects for a political settlement.

They also discussed developments in Venezuela, reiterating Russia’s position on the inadmissibility of any outside interference in that country’s internal political situation.

In addition, some urgent issues on Russia’s domestic socioeconomic agenda were discussed.

The meeting was attended by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, State Duma Speaker Vyacheslav Volodin, Chief of Staff of the Presidential Executive Office Anton Vaino, Secretary of the Security Council Nikolai Patrushev, Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev, Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu, Director of the Federal Security Service Alexander Bortnikov and Special Presidential Representative for Environmental Protection, Ecology and Transport Sergei Ivanov.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59725

Greetings to Golden Eagle National Film Awards

Vladimir Putin sent a message of greetings to the participants and guests of the XVII Golden National Film Award Eagle Award ceremony.

January 25, 2019 - 20:00

“2018 saw several premieres of outstanding and memorable films. Talented producers, actors, script writers and camera operators submitted for the consideration of their colleagues and spectators serious works that evoked broad public interest and became landmarks in cultural life.

By established tradition, the best of the best will receive one of the country’s most prestigious creative national awards today. For many years the Golden Eagle has been awarded for an outstanding contribution to the development of Russian and world cinematography and is rightly considered to be evidence of top professionalism and impeccable artistic taste.”

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59729

Greetings on the Opening of St Petersburg Ladies Trophy 2019 tournament

Vladimir Putin sent greetings to participants, organisers and guests of the St Petersburg Ladies Trophy 2019 tournament, which is being held for the fourth time.

January 26, 2019 - 09:30

“This year, the tournament once again brings together at the famous Sibur Arena many guests and devoted tennis fans who will cheer for the athletes they love, and support this honest, fair and beautiful sport. They will see famous women tennis players on the court, including winners in the most prominent international tournaments who are true stars. It is very important that this event has always been popular among young people, since the future of tennis both in Russia and across the world is in the hands of the younger generation.”

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59731

75th anniversary of lifting of siege of Leningrad

President Putin attended events marking the 75th anniversary of breaking the Nazi siege of Leningrad

January 27, 2019 - 15:00 - St Petersburg

The President laid flowers at the Landmark Stone monument at Nevsky Pyatachok military historical complex, and visited Piskaryovskoye Memorial Cemetery where he honoured the memory of fallen residents and defenders of Leningrad by laying a wreath at the Motherland monument.

The President also viewed an exhibit organised by the Lenrezerv patriotic society for the 75th anniversary of breaking the siege of Leningrad at the society’s venue. A street in the besieged city was recreated on the museum’s territory using authentic exhibits; the Road of Life diorama with an area of over 500 square meters was unveiled.

Following that, Vladimir Putin attended a gala concert Listen, Country, this is Leningrad speaking at the Oktyabrsky Grand Concert Hall.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59736

A concert marking 75th anniversary of complete liberation of Leningrad from Nazi siege

Vladimir Putin attended a concert titled Listen, Country, this is Leningrad Speaking at the Oktyabrsky Grand Concert Hall.

January 27, 2019 - 15:10 - St Petersburg

Dear veterans, friends, fellow city residents,

I congratulate you on the 75th anniversary of the complete liberation of Leningrad from the siege.

This will always remain a great event for Leningrad residents, for Russia and for the whole world, as will the 872 days of the dreadful horrendous ordeals the city residents went through. Their sufferings and sacrifices cannot be measured.

We must surely live for today, the present and future, yet the events in Leningrad must not be forgotten. Ever.

There is no forgiving the Nazis who decided to break our unassailable city using cynical attrition, deliberately exterminating hundreds of thousands of civilians. This is what is called a crime against humanity.

Under the enemy’s plan, Leningrad was to be erased from the face of the earth. However, the enemy was not capable of grasping that Leningrad’s residents could not be conquered and that they would never betray their native city, their Fatherland. And this act of high bravery of the besieged residents of the city and their spiritual power serve as the greatest example of loyalty to the Motherland.

Locked in by the siege, under infernal conditions of cold and hunger, Leningrad residents worked and fought on the frontline, in the militia, in factory shops and hospitals, to the deafening rumble of bombings and to the quiet, exhausting clicking of the metronome. They lived with hope, they believed in victory and thought about future generations, about us; they thought about their children and grandchildren; they preserved cultural values and unique monuments for them.

It is our duty to continue passing on to the victors’ great grandchildren the entire heroic truth about besieged Leningrad, our feelings of admiration for the honour and dignity of Leningrad residents and our pain over the hundreds of thousands of victims, for those who rest at Piskaryovskoye, Smolenskoye, and in dozens of other cemeteries and mass graves.

We, and our descendants as well, must do everything possible so that such tragedies never happen again. We must stand up for the memory of everyone who brought victory that much closer, for the memory, which is bequeathed to unite all nations, to call people to peace and justice. And this is why dates like today’s will never be irrelevant or routine for us.

Our deepest gratitude goes to the residents of besieged Leningrad, our fathers and mothers, our grandfathers and grandmothers, all those who defended and saved this beautiful city, breaking the siege and driving the enemy back, who fought and won against Nazism with guns in their hands or on the home front.

Happy holiday. I greet you, unconquerable Leningrad residents, on the day of your complete liberation from the enemy’s blockade.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/59738

A meeting with Acting Governor of St Petersburg Alexander Beglov

Vladimir Putin had a working meeting with Acting Governor of St Petersburg Alexander Beglov.

January 27, 2019 - 15:50 - St Petersburg

During the conversation Alexander Beglov, in particular, thanked the President for allocating funds from the Presidential Reserve Fund to set up a new exhibit at the State Memorial Museum of the Defence and Blockade of Leningrad.

Earlier in the day, Vladimir Putin attended commemorative events marking the 75th anniversary of the complete liberation of Leningrad from the Nazi blockade.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59739

Greetings to Russian athletes on winning team relay competition at Luge World Championships

Vladimir Putin sent a message congratulating Tatyana Ivanova, Semyon Pavlichenko, Vladislav Yuzhakov and Yury Prokhorov on winning the team relay competition at the 2019 Luge World Championships in Winterberg, Germany.

January 27, 2019 - 17:45

“You performed excellently and achieved what you set out to. In the face of fierce competition, you showed yourself to be a strong, united and well-prepared team.

“With your impressive, memorable performance and your victory you overshadowed the recognised favourites and won Russia’s first 'gold' in the luge team relay at the World Championships.“

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59744

Old February 9th, 2019 #3
Alex Him

Meeting with President of Moldova Igor Dodon

Vladimir Putin met in the Kremlin with President of the Republic of Moldova Igor Dodon, who is in Russia on a working visit.

January 30, 2019 - 17:15 - The Kremlin, Moscow

The two leaders discussed key topics on the bilateral agenda as well as current regional issues.

Mr President, colleagues, friends,

We hold these meetings regularly, and they have yielded some results. In just 11 months of 2018, our trade grew by almost 29.5 percent, reaching a total of $1.38 billion – more than in the whole of 2017.

At your request, we took additional decisions concerning fruit and vegetable and wine products. Now we can say that these decisions – as reflected in the Government resolution – will remain in force until March, 2019. Together, we will monitor the progress and take further decisions.

We also took another decision concerning labour migration to support those who never seriously violated Russia’s migration laws.

You surely have some questions. Please, go ahead. We are very glad to see you today, and are ready to discuss any issue that you believe to be of vital importance for the development of Russian-Moldovan relations, which I know you work very hard to promote.

President of the Republic of Moldova Igor Dodon:

Mr President, colleagues,

First, I am very glad that the foreign policy agenda of the President of Moldova starts this year with a visit to the Russian Federation. We maintain dialogue for the sake of our continued strategic partnership.

As you know, we consider Russia our strategic partner. Our peoples have always had fraternal relations that have been tested by centuries.

Incidentally, this year we will celebrate in Moldova, under the President’s patronage, the 75th anniversary of the country's liberation from the Nazis. I am referring to the famous Jassy–Kishinev Operation that was executed at a very high level.

This year we in Moldova will celebrate the 660th anniversary of Moldovan statehood.

As you noted, trade between our countries is developing very dynamically. I would like to thank you for supporting our initiative to zero out customs duties on five commodity items starting January 1. This will provide considerable support to our producers.

Now a few words about migrant workers: the measures that have been adopted concern 170,000 our citizens and I am hoping that our citizens will use this opportunity to come home and then return to the Russian Federation without any problems.

I would also like to tell you that in the next few weeks the first batch of Russian equipment, KAMAZ trucks, which we agreed upon – I asked you and you consented – will arrive in Moldova for municipal enterprises throughout the whole of our country: both in the north and south.

One question has arisen on trade and I hope we will discuss it today – it concerns the transit of some categories of our goods via Ukrainian territory. We will discuss this in more detail today.

I would like to thank you for the Russian Federation’s consistent position on the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Moldova.

As you know, the leader of Transnistria and I have a very good dialogue – I had five meetings with him and the last one took place right before the New Year.

We resolved many issues that had remained outstanding and will keep moving forward on them. Of course, everything will depend on the results of the parliamentary elections.

Vladimir Putin:

When will elections take place?

Igor Dodon:

On February 24.

We decided that the office of the President will not be involved in this campaign. Let the parties vie for parliamentary mandates but the President will not take part in the election campaign.

I would also like to thank you for our cooperation at international venues. Last year we received the status of EAEU observer. I think this is a very good opportunity that we should use to the utmost in the commercial interests of our countries.

We are watching very closely what is happening in the CIS. I am sure we will continue our productive cooperation within it and at other venues.

Vladimir Putin:

Needless to say, we in Russia are not indifferent to the future Moldovan Parliament because it forms the country’s Government and the future development of Russia-Moldova relations will largely depend on this, as well as the future Government’s support of the initiatives made by the President of Moldova on the development of our bilateral ties.

Igor Dodon:

Russia is considered a friendly country by 65 percent of our population. We are hoping that the opinion of the people will be clearly reflected in the future Parliament. But it is up to the people to decide…

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59752

Telephone conversation with President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko

Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko.

January 31, 2019 - 11:50

The two presidents discussed the further development of bilateral cooperation and the schedule of upcoming bilateral contacts.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59754

Old February 9th, 2019 #4
Alex Him

Meeting with Minister of Agriculture Dmitry Patrushev and Head of Rosselkhoznadzor Sergei Dankvert

Vladimir Putin held a working meeting with Minister of Agriculture Dmitry Patrushev and the Head of the Federal Service for Veterinary and Phytosanitary Supervision (Rosselkhoznadzor) Sergei Dankvert. They discussed, among other things, the current developments in agriculture and the introduction of an electronic veterinary certification system.

January 28, 2019 - 13:40 - The Kremlin, Moscow

We undoubtedly often discuss the development of agriculture in general and support for agriculture at meetings in various formats; I hope that the Minister will now say a few words on the industry’s performance results over the past year.

We also discuss the work of Rosselkhoznadzor from various perspectives, its role and significance, including with regard to animal health. This is a major problem, and we know how it looks and in its regional aspect, as well as from the federal level.

Let us talk today about these issues in a broader format, including the system of electronic veterinary certification – I know you are developing it intensively now. Let us talk about it. But first, I would ask for a few words on the sector’s results.

Minister of Agriculture Dmitry Patrushev:

Mr President, allow me to report briefly on the current situation in agriculture, and in the agro-industrial complex as a whole.

A few words about the progress in the winter crop sowing and forecasts for the 2019 harvest. In 2018, we collected a decent harvest of 112.9 million tonnes, and now we are already working on the 2019 harvest.

Our winter crops have been sown on an area of 17.7 million hectares. According to regional reports, about 90 percent of all crop areas are in good condition. The situation with the rest will be known after the snow melts.

Vladimir Putin:

What was the situation at this time last year?

Dmitry Patrushev:

It was about the same, but we estimate that this year will probably be slightly better than last year. The total sowing area for 2019 will be about 80.5 million hectares, 1.2 million hectares bigger than last year.

Now over to the harvest prognosis. Of course, it is too early for this, but we can say that this year, considering the pre-conditions we have, we will probably collect about 108–110 million tonnes. This is a wild guess, so to speak, but still. We plan to harvest about 67 million tonnes of wheat. Of course, as I have said, we will aim to do this and will do our best. Now we are actively preparing for the spring sowing season.

As of mid-January, we have 5.5 million tonnes of seeds available, and we need a total of 5.63 million tonnes for the spring sowing. However, there is no question that we will have enough when the sowing begins.

In addition, farmers have purchased over 101,000 tonnes of active ingredients for mineral fertilisers, which is 13,500 tonnes more than last year. The agricultural equipment is also being prepared for the sowing.

I would like to talk separately about state support and loans to agricultural enterprises and organisations, especially state support.

This year, 303.6 billion rubles have been allocated to implement state support projects, which is significantly more, 50 billion more, than last year. The rise in state support was largely due to the increased financing under the Exports of the Agricultural Products federal project within the May Executive Order, as well as to the new federal project to establish a support system for farming and rural cooperation.

This means that, among other things, state support will be channeled into preferential loans – about 73 billion rubles; supporting exports of agricultural products – about 39 billion rubles; and separate support for crop production – about 11 billion rubles.

In addition, about eight billion rubles is allocated to subsidies aimed at increasing productivity in dairy farming, which means that we continue to support dairy production.

Also, about seven billion rubles are being used to establish a system to support farmers and develop rural cooperation.

And quite a lot of money will go to a single subsidy for the regions, and the regions will decide. But we still want them to do this after consulting with us.

Vladimir Putin:

When will it get to the regions?

Dmitry Patrushev:

We will be transferring throughout the year. Last year, a very high level of funding went to the regions, very little money was returned.

Vladimir Putin:

I see. But still, when will the bulk of the funds arrive?

Dmitry Patrushev:

Mr President, if necessary, when they are ready, they will receive money. We do not have a situation where we give a certain amount of money by the end of a year. We will allocate funds steadily throughout the year.

Vladimir Putin:

That is what I meant.

Dmitry Patrushev:

Throughout the year, we will allocate funds steadily, as needed. And I do not think that there will be any problems.

Last year everything was done on time. It was not as if we gave them money by the end of the year, and they failed to spend it.

Vladimir Putin:

We need to work more closely with the regions.

Dmitry Patrushev:

Yes, Mr President, we will definitely do that.

In addition, I would like to say a few words about exports before I talk about electronic veterinary certification.

As of January 13 this year, the statistics showed that in 2018 we exported $25.8 billion worth of agricultural produce and food.

Last time I reported that we aimed to reach 26 billion, but I do not think we will manage. The figure will be about one hundred million short of our goal.

At the end of February, we will get a more accurate figure, but I think that it will amount to 25.9 billion – approximately this amount of export earnings.

Grain makes up a major part of our exports – about 40 percent, fish and crustaceans – about 20 percent, foods and processed products – 13.5 percent, and oil and fat products.

Under the export project, we will still try to export products with higher added value.

Vladimir Putin:

What do you believe the grain export potential will be this year, given the fact that we still have reserves?

Dmitry Patrushev:

Mr President, taking into account the carryover stocks, I think we will be able to export about 42 million tonnes of grain, 36 million tonnes of wheat, if my memory serves me. And these are quite good figures for us, which form a serious export revenue.

However, in the coming years, we will try to work on the quality of the grain that we export in order to gain a foothold in the world market as a producer of high-quality grain. That is, we will be popular among countries that need good, high-quality wheat, high-quality grain.

A little later, we will draw conclusions about how much we will manage to export next year, depending on the overall results of grain production.

Now about electronic veterinary certification. To carry out your instructions regarding the creation of a single traceability system, as of July 1, 2018, all veterinary-related documents in Russia have been drawn up in electronic form.

In December last year, the number of documents processed per day reached six million. That is, according to the results for the month as a whole, more than 137 million veterinary certificates, these veterinary documents, were issued.

Among the leading regions are Moscow and Moscow Region, St Petersburg, Krasnodar Territory, Chelyabinsk Region, Nizhny Novgorod Region, and Sverdlovsk Region.

In general, the work on the introduction of electronic veterinary certification, in our opinion, is proceeding according to the planned indicators, and many regions have already completely switched over to it.

Thanks to this system, we will be able to ensure complete traceability of products: in fact, from raw materials to the shelves in the shops. Therefore, we believe the circulation of counterfeit and forged goods will gradually become impossible.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to carry out illegal activity; the electronic veterinary certification makes every process sufficiently transparent for us and, most importantly, for our consumers, too.

Sergei Dankvert, Head of the Federal Service for Veterinary and Phytosanitary Supervision:

It just so happened that you personally took part in this whole process. Back in March, 2015, when this decision was being taken, I was asking for fishermen to be left out of this, as they were tiring me out. As it turned out, however, you took the right decision back then. Today, our fishermen are trying to stay in line with everyone else, which yields fascinating results.

The introduction of the changes to the 2015 veterinary law, which came about through your decision, resulted in an interesting dynamic that has been developing ever since. In December 2018, we actually reached 137 million. Previously, there was a total of only 57 million paper certificates issued in Russia…

Vladimir Putin:

137.5 million, to be exact.

Sergei Dankvert:

Yes, 137.5 million.

Earlier, only 57 million paper certificates were issued per year. In them, one could write something like “assorted meat products, a total of 200 kg” and, as a result, one was free to transport anything from cervelat sausage to animal hides.

That is why this decision was taken at just the right time. I believe that today we are, in fact, ahead of many countries. Take for instance China, where we were recently, our Chinese colleagues have encountered African swine fever. They simply have no idea what to do, whereas we have already solved this issue by now.

We have electronic certification, regionalisation, which is automatically introduced with the help of an electronic system, compartmentalisation, too, meaning the dividision into compartments according to biological safety levels.

As it turns out, countries with high levels of biological safety can export goods to any location, while countries with low levels cannot export anywhere…

Vladimir Putin:

This was one of our goals.

Sergei Dankvert:

This was our goal, and we achieved it. And I will tell you that now our European colleagues…

We attended the Green Week, where we met our European colleagues. Of course, they meet us with caution and their reaction is not quite clear, though there are some working issues, but they are interested in using our experience.

Unfortunately, their situation is developing without any control, because, let us say, the number of cases of African fever we have in ten years, they have in one.

Vladimir Putin:

Is it increasing?

Sergei Dankvert:

Yes, and very significantly. Unfortunately, there are no regulatory mechanisms.

When we explained to our Chinese colleagues that we have a compartment, regionalisation and even online certification and you cannot transfer this any further, they could not understand this yet.

We are achieving now what we strived for and, and, let me say that many regions react in the right way. As I have said, unfortunately, our foreign colleagues have not been supportive from the beginning. It is hard to understand why, but so be it.

As of today, 332,285 legal entities are registered in our system as well as 388,229 self-employed entrepreneurs (farms) and 1,407,489 individuals who have private farms or own cattle.

We tried to do this without much ado and we worked on the system step by step, because, of course, developing such a system for the entire country takes time.

Critics say that we must have spent a lot of money. We have counted almost all the money that has been allocated for electronic support: 130 million.

Vladimir Putin:

Establishing order in this area will certainly contribute to the civilised development of agriculture as an industry, and, most importantly, will have a positive effect on people's health.

Sergei Dankvert:

Certainly. And it will be very easy to control.

Vladimir Putin:

It really works for the consumers.

Sergei Dankvert:

It is easy to inspect. And we certainly need to make changes to consumer legislation, because if black caviar was aquacultured, then it should be written that it is aquacultured. If it was made in Russia from Chinese raw materials… When I was in Germany, the labels said ‘aquaculture production – China, packed in Germany’. We also need to avoid misleading labeling – we can already thoroughly trace where something comes from, what it is made of, and how.

Vladimir Putin:

This concerns not only caviar, but also ordinary, as they say, basic foods.

Sergei Dankvert:

To date, we have all the ready-to-use products… Only ready-to-use dairy products are not included, but all the rest – sausages and that sort of thing. There is no hustle, everyone is working. The number of those involved – you can look through the successful results: large chains and small businesses are applying for veterinary certificates.

Vladimir Putin:

You know, this will certainly strengthen our position on the market, and above all, on the domestic market, because it will work in the interests of the consumers.

Sergei Dankvert:

And for export, it will be easier to prove the origin …

Vladimir Putin:

Of course.

Sergei Dankvert:

That is, we aimed to streamline things on the Russian market and have a way to prove the origin and traceability of our food exports. We are making progress.

Vladimir Putin:

Good.

Sergei Dankvert:

Thank you very much for supporting me then.

Dmitry Patrushev:

Yes, thank you for the support.

Vladimir Putin:

Thank you for having these plans implemented and introduced in practice.

As for current work, January is already ending, and agricultural field work will soon begin, especially in the southern regions, so I hope that the industry will be ready for this.

Dmitry Patrushev:

We will try, we will do everything.

Vladimir Putin:

Good.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59742

Meeting with Head of Tambov Region Administration Alexander Nikitin

Vladimir Putin had a working meeting with Head of the Tambov Region Administration Alexander Nikitin. The regional leader updated the President on the region’s socioeconomic situation.

January 29, 2019 - 14:20 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Alexander Nikitin reported that the agriculture-dominated region had enhanced its industrial potential in 2018, with its growth amounting to 14.4 percent. A significant contribution to this increase was provided by the food and processing industry, which showed an even higher growth of 22 percent. In terms of industrial production growth, the region ranks first among the central black earth regions and fifth in Russia.

Every year, investment in the regional economy is kept at the level of 100–110 billion rubles. During the last two or three years, three industrial parks and one territory of advanced socioeconomic development have been established.

The consolidated regional budget revenue increased by 8 percent; wages rose by 5.6 percent, and commissioning of new housing, by 2.2 percent.

The region ranks ninth in grain production, eighth in sunflower production, fifth in sugar beet production, and second in the production of meat and poultry in Russia. It manufactures more than 70 percent of all dyes (paints and lacquers, and acrylic emulsions) in Russia.

The Governor spoke in detail about major investment projects. A large meat production project with Auchan involves a new model of agricultural development – a contractual model, with investment of almost 3.5 billion rubles. The second phase of the Russian-Spanish turkey meat project is being implemented. Modern equipment has been supplied for the second stage of one of the largest flourmills in Europe and Russia. A greenhouse farm is being established in Michurinsk – 20 billion in investment, 30 hectares at the first phase.

A special subject of pride, according to the Governor, is that Tambov Region has been at the top of Russia's environmental ranking for six years in a row.

The President and the Governor also talked about the construction of social facilities – schools, kindergartens, and a new perinatal centre. This year, the region plans to open a gerontology centre, and a sports centre for martial arts.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59746

Meeting with Government members

Vladimir Putin had a meeting with Government members at the Kremlin.

January 30, 2019 - 14:20 - The Kremlin, Moscow

The participants focused on measures to boost the tourism industry. Reports were delivered by the heads of the relevant agencies. The agenda also included several current issues.

Good afternoon, colleagues.

Today we will discuss tourism.

Before we start working, I have a question for a tourist. Mr Oreshkin, tell us about your work with our colleagues [at the World Economic Forum in Davos], the meetings you had and whether you have anything interesting or useful to report.

Please.

Economic Development Minister Maxim Oreshkin:

Overall, the forum was a rather negative experience. The international mood has greatly worsened over the past year, also because the global economy was rapidly losing momentum in the last quarter.

Vladimir Putin:

The IMF also mentioned a downswing.

Maxim Oreshkin:

The IMF first said so in January. In other words, they have only started adjusting their forecasts, even though negative trends became apparent in the fourth quarter of 2018.

Second, socio-political tensions are growing, with the French yellow vest protests and other events. Taken together, this had a negative impact on the forum participants.

Representatives of major companies and countries are aware of the rising problems but they do not see any solutions to them.

It is clear that some countries have reacted to this by trying to replace domestic problems with a foreign agenda, including sanctions and trade wars. All of this is the result of domestic political issues, which ultimately lead to global problems.

One of the reasons for the slackening economic growth is the trade wars, which are splitting the world into separate blocs and destroying the system that was effective for the past years.

Vladimir Putin:

How much has the global trade system lost as a result of all types of restrictions?

Maxim Oreshkin:

According to the WTO analysis for last year, the global economic growth shortfall was around $500 billion, which is a great deal. All this is having a negative impact on the economy.

We recently had a WTO ministerial conference. So far, there are no visible solutions to the current problems because the countries involved are not ready to seek agreement.

A large group of countries, including Russia, are willing to look for solutions. No US delegates attended that conference, which means the problems will persist.

In fact, solutions to global problems are unlikely to be found until domestic political problems are settled.

In terms of the Russian delegation’s work at the forum, the outcome was positive. We had a great deal of bilateral meetings with representatives from France, Switzerland, Portugal, Turkey, Qatar and South Korea, as well as with OPEC delegates.

We had many other meetings to discuss bilateral cooperation. The attitude towards Russia is positive. We have joint projects with all of these countries, and we are working to implement them.

I would like to add that our European partners have changed their attitude to Russia. It is gradually improving because the Europeans are seriously frustrated with what the United States is doing, in particular, increased steel and aluminium tariffs and several other things.

Vladimir Putin:

We have nothing to do with this. It was a separate [US] decision regarding the European economies.

Maxim Oreshkin:

Exactly.

In our opinion, all the business people who wanted to attend [the Davos Forum] did so and discussed the issues they wanted.

The forum organisers said that certain [Russian] business people would not be welcome at Davos. But I met with them, and they apologised for their actions last year. The conflict can be considered settled, but there is an unpleasant aftertaste, of course.

Vladimir Putin:

Thank you very much.

A lot has been done over the past 13 years to promote vaccinations prior to the flu season, for example, in the autumn and the winter. Could you update us on the flu rates and vaccine manufacturing?

Healthcare Minister Veronika Skvortsova:

Since the launch of the first national project in 2006, we have expanded the vaccination coverage 2.6-fold, while the influenza incidence rate dropped 13 times during the same period.

This season we planned to have at least 45 percent of the population vaccinated, but the actual coverage was 49 percent or 70.8 million people, while the vaccination coverage among children was as high as 63 percent, totalling 18.5 million. I would like to thank employers who took part in the vaccination campaign at their own expense, helping to vaccinate almost six million people.

Through this campaign, we have reached a sufficient level of population immunity. The flu rates started to increase in the last two weeks of 2018, and did not exceed the baseline epidemic threshold until last week.

Since last week, the baseline epidemic threshold has been exceeded by seven percent, and the incidence rate now stands at 77 per 10,000 people. The weekly indicators are 26.5 percent above the epidemic threshold.

So far we are facing a low-intensity epidemic, although the epidemic threshold has been exceeded in 23 regions, and local flu outbreaks have been reported. The highest incidence rates were reported in Buryatia, Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) and the Jewish Autonomous Region, more than double the threshold. The Far East and Siberia are more than 30 percent above the threshold, and the epidemic is on the rise the Northwestern, Central and Volga federal districts. According to our flu reference centre, next week we will see an increase in the flu incidence rate across the country.

We are expecting a medium-intensity epidemic dominated by type A influenza, which currently accounts for 76 percent of the total, with a H1N1 strain similar to the swine flu and H3N2 at similar levels.

This year, we used three high-tech Russian vaccines that contain all the strains that are currently relevant, as recommended by the World Health Organisation. It can be said that people are well equipped for this epidemic.

We checked regions to see whether they are prepared. Every region has a two-week inventory of personal protective gear and flu medicine at all times. More than 100,000 places were set up in infection wards, and we have the potential to further increase their number. There are more than 15,000 places in intensive care units. Over the past two years we upgraded equipment in all intensive care units dealing with infectious diseases. The number of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) machines doubled. So we are well prepared.

We also expect ordinary people to contribute to these efforts by protecting themselves from the epidemic. It is recommended that people avoid mass events in the coming weeks unless they really need to attend, use individual protective gear, wash their hands more often and keep devices they bring up to their faces clean.

For people who do get sick, we strongly recommend seeking medical help instead of self-treatment. This is especially important for people who can get severely ill, including people with weakened immune systems, children under the age of five years, pregnant women, people suffering from chronic diseases.

This also applies to risk groups, including people working in medical and educational institutions, transport and utilities services, and those who interact with a large number of people throughout the day.

Mr President, I wanted to highlight that we have achieved substantial progress in vaccine manufacturing. The flu virus goes through antigenic drift every three to four years. As a result, the prevalent flu strains may not fully coincide with those covered by vaccines.

Vladimir Putin:

Have the vaccines hit the mark this year?

Veronika Skvortsova:

This year everything is fine, but last year we faced this situation with type B flu.

In 2018, many countries, pursuant to the WHO recommendation, started transitioning from triple to tetravalent vaccines.

At the Healthcare Ministry’s initiative, three Russian producers embarked upon the development of these vaccines in 2018. As of today, three drugs have been developed, with one of them registered. We expect that one drug will be registered in August or September of this year. Yet another drug will be registered in late 2020.

Jointly with the Federal Service for Supervision of Consumer Protection and Welfare (Rospotrebnadzor), we have drafted a plan for transitioning from triple to tetravalent vaccines starting from the next epidemic season. The high-risk population groups prone to the gravest forms of the disease will be the first beneficiaries.

Another point: two of the Healthcare Ministry’s research centres developed three universal anti-influenza vaccines in 2018. These are primarily intended against pandemic influenza and the conservative influenza epitope that does not change following changes in the strain.

Two drugs have passed the first phase of clinical testing with a very good, highly effective result. This is a safe vaccine. The drugs will be registered shortly.

Thus, this country has created a range of medications that will fully protect us against any antigenic drift of the influenza virus or emergence of pandemic strains, including H5, or the bird flu.

Therefore, I would like to report that the situation is under control and that we have taken all measures to prevent it from going beyond the usual seasonal fluctuations.

Vladimir Putin:

Ms Skvortsova, the recommendations that you have voiced just now should be repeated many times by specialists in the media. In addition, it is certainly necessary to intensify work with the regions and the relevant healthcare agencies in the regions to induce them to pursue this work at the local level.

Veronika Skvortsova:

We have been doing this and will continue to do so, Mr President. We will continue and intensify this work.

Vladimir Putin:

Good.

To get sick less often we must go into sports more. There are the Children of Asia Games. Can you please tell us more about this?

Deputy Prime Minister Olga Golodets:

Mr President, Mr Prime Minister, colleagues,

The Children of Asia Games will take place in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk on February 9–16. This is one of the largest competitions for children. One of its founders is the Olympic Council of Asia that includes 45 countries.

Let me recall that over 60 percent of the world’s population lives in Asia. The games are expected to be very serious and professional. Over 20 teams have applied for participation. These competitions will be held in the winter in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk for the first time. They basically open a new agenda for children’s sports competitions.

The games will consist of competitions in eight Olympic sports: figure skating, hockey, short track, alpine skiing, snowboard, biathlon, cross country skiing and ski jump. Figure skating and hockey are the most popular competitions.

We expect over 1,300 athletes to take part in the games and are looking forward to the arrival of more than 20 delegations from Japan, Korea, the Philippines, Nepal, Thailand and many other Asian countries,

Over 20,000 fans will watch the competitions at sports facilities in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. The games will be broadcast to a huge audience. We estimate that several million people will watch the games.

As of today, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk is fully prepared to host these major competitions. With your permission, Acting Governor of the Sakhalin Region Valery Limarenko will tell us in more detail about the sports facilities.

Vladimir Putin:

Sports facilities and hotels?

Olga Golodets:

Yes, the entire infrastructure.

Acting Governor of the Sakhalin Region Valery Limarenko:

The sports infrastructure, which comprises six key sports facilities that comply with all current requirements, is fully ready for the games.

It includes an athletic tourism complex and a ski centre, a ski-jump, two ice arenas, a snowboard park and a ski and biathlon complex. These facilities are ready for the athletes, judges, coaches and other specialists from 20 countries.

Mr President, I would like to note that, importantly, these facilities will be used in the future to promote sports in the Sakhalin Region. We believe that about an additional 5,000 young athletes will be able to use these sites for various sports, and we will hire 170 more instructors for classes.

I would like to note that such a large complex could form the basis for a national sports camp in the Russian Far East. We suggest doing so, and would like you to support this idea.

This complex can also be used as training grounds during preparations for important sports events and a venue for holding important international sporting events.

Now a few words about organisational issues. Transport for athletes and anyone else arriving in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, including tourists, is in place. Travel time between hotels, restaurants, training grounds and competition sites should be under 15 minutes to ensure comfort and convenience.

About 60 facilities in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk will be available to athletes, team members and guests to meet their catering and accommodation needs. More than 1,000 volunteers, who are now undergoing training, will help our guests get around.

A medical support system has been put in place as well. Eight ambulance crews and seven first-aid stations will be on duty at the sports facilities at all times. A total of 16 medical organisations will be supporting the event.

Of course, security is important. We have completed the necessary preparations in cooperation with the FSB, the Interior Ministry and the Emergencies Ministry.

We believe this will be a festive event not only for our guests, but Sakhalin residents as well, so we have come up with an extensive entertainment and sightseeing programme.

I am here to report that Sakhalin is ready to welcome the athletes and guests.

Vladimir Putin:

Do you need any additional assistance?

Valery Limarenko:

No, we are working closely with the federal agencies and have made all the necessary arrangements in the region.

Vladimir Putin:

Good. Good luck.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59750

Meeting with Education Minister Olga Vasilyeva

Vladimir Putin had a working meeting with Education Minister Olga Vasilyeva.

January 31, 2019 - 15:10 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Olga Vasilyeva discussed the ministry’s work, in particular, the development of pre-school education, the construction of new schools and the renovation of old ones.

She also talked about the All-Russian Olympiad, which had a total of six million participants, with most of them competing in the field of mathematics. Russia’s participation in international Olympiads has yielded a total of 38 medals, including 22 gold ones.

The Minister paid special attention to the importance of early occupational guidance. In 2018, over one million people were admitted to specialised secondary education institutions. The success of Russian participants in WorldSkills and Euroskills competitions has played a major role in these results. This year, the WorldSkills competition will be held in Kazan, Russia.

The Minister also spoke about the Abilympics professional contest for children with disabilities, which results in employment contracts for participants.

Russia is now working to create a total of 100 priority development centres to provide further training for teachers, Olga Vasilyeva explained, as well as a total of 340 IT-CUBE centres. Each region will have its own quantoriums and local Sirius centres, which will be provided with special programmes developed by the Sirius federal centre.

The President drew the Minister’s attention to the necessity of monitoring teachers’ wages in order to prevent them from dropping below the regional average.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59756

Gathering in honour of the 10th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Church Local Council and the Patriarch's enthronement

The President visited the State Kremlin Palace, where events are being held to mark the 10th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Church Local Council and the enthronement of the Patriarch.

January 31, 2019 - 17:30 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Earlier, the President met with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and heads of the delegations of local Orthodox churches from different countries who arrived in Moscow to participate in the festivities.

Your Holiness, primates and representatives of local Orthodox churches, priests, ladies and gentlemen,

I am glad to welcome all of you in the heart of Russia, in the Moscow Kremlin, with its holy shrines that mean a lot to every Orthodox believer.

Today’s gathering is dedicated to a special date. At the end of January 2009, the Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church met to elect a new primate – Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.

I would like to warmly and sincerely congratulate His Holiness on the 10th anniversary of his enthronement.

In December 2017, we came together to celebrate the centenary of the restoration of the patriarchate in our country and recognised the decisive role played by the primates of the Russian Orthodox Church in many respects in the destiny of the Fatherland, the greatness of their devotion and service to our people.

Like his outstanding predecessors, Patriarch Kirill carries out his archpastoral mission with honour. Abiding by the Christian commandments, he seeks to help people find their way to the church, to bolster their faith, and to support them in word and deed. His wisdom and honesty, his openness and generosity have earned him respect and trust both in Russia and far beyond its borders.

His Holiness and Orthodox hierarchs, together with representatives of other traditional religions, are making a significant contribution to strengthening social harmony, helping resolve profoundly important, sometimes very sensitive issues that people are concerned and worry about.

I know how much has been done in recent years to expand the Church’s social services; the enormous, tireless work in this area the churches are doing, bringing in volunteers, benefactors, and all those who seeks to selflessly help other people.

This work is invaluable; it cannot be measured by statistics, but still, allow me to cite a few figures.

In 2009, there was only one church shelter in Russia for women with children who ended up in difficult life situations. Last year their number grew to 58. More than 100 new humanitarian aid centres have opened. Nursing care and social rehabilitation services are developing.

The Russian Orthodox Church is always found where people are experiencing difficulties; it is always with people who are in trouble. That was the case in the summer of 2010, when Russia was confronted with the elements, when fires raged across many regions of our country; that was the case in Krymsk and in cities and villages of the Far East affected by floods.

Today, the Russian Orthodox Church coordinates and contributes to over 6,500 social projects, thereby significantly strengthening the efforts of the state and society in this area.

I would like to offer special thanks to Patriarch Kirill and the Church for the spiritual guidance of the Russian army. Your sincere, heartfelt words help the soldiers and officers to defend their homeland with honour, instil in them confidence in their military prowess and moral righteousness.

The educational activities of the ROC deserve great respect, as do the restoration of old churches and the building of new ones. Patriarch Kirill and I recently attended the ceremony to consecrate the foundation of one of them – a majestic cathedral commemorating the soldiers of the Great Patriotic War, named the Resurrection of Christ.

The noble devotion of the Russian Orthodox Church extends over its entire canonical territory. And we are grateful to His Holiness for his constant attention to our compatriots and the support of foreign communities, for his tireless work to build trust between countries and peoples, to expand humanitarian contacts.

I must emphasise that such honest, impeccable service that Patriarch Kirill demonstrates is an example of true love for the Fatherland and for our people, and the successes achieved in this field lay the foundation for the development of the Church for decades to come.

Your Holiness, participants of this solemn gathering,

Today, as for many centuries before, the high purpose of the Russian Orthodox Church remains exceptionally important.

I emphasise that the state will continue to actively promote constructive partnership with the Church in all significant areas, primarily, bringing up younger generations, preserving cultural heritage and solving pressing social problems.

Russia faces major challenges and ambitious goals and, without exaggeration, historic tasks in demography, social development and improvements in the quality of life, as well as efforts to achieve economic, scientific, and technological breakthroughs.

But we are well aware that in order to reach new heights, it is important to preserve our identity, unity and solidarity, which rely on values that have been cherished at all times by Orthodoxy and other traditional religions of Russia, such as compassion, honesty and justice, caring for your neighbour and family, respect for parents and children and, of course, love for the Motherland.

Neglecting these values can lead to the most destructive consequences, to the depersonalisation and degradation of the individual, and make people victims of the most vile and base manipulations.

To reiterate, the common duty of cooperation and responsibility of the state, the Church, religious leaders, and society lies in preserving and strengthening our spiritual, moral and ethical foundation, passing it on to the young, to future generations, so as not to lose ourselves in an era of turbulent global change.

Of course, we hope that the Russian Orthodox Church will remain an effective force for peace, promote friendship and neighbourliness, and support our compatriots and people belonging to Orthodox culture.

Brotherly interchurch ties have historically united nations and served to promote equitable relations between Russia and many foreign countries.

Unfortunately, we can see other examples as well where speculation, politicking and parasitism on matters of religious life have led to disunity among people and provoked anger and intolerance.

Precisely such a project that is unrelated to faith and is false through and through, focusing on the struggle for power, is unfolding in Ukraine. Regrettably, the Patriarchate of Constantinople got dragged into it. In fact, we are witnessing flagrant interference in church life. Its initiators seem to have taken after the godless people of the previous century, who expelled believers from churches and attacked and persecuted the clergy.

To reiterate, the state, the Russian authorities consider any interference in church affairs to be absolutely intolerable. We have and will always have respect for the independence of church life, all the more so in a neighbouring sovereign country. Nevertheless, we reserve the right to respond and do our best to protect human rights, including freedom of religion.

In closing, I would like to once again congratulate Patriarch Kirill on the occasion of a significant date, ten years since his enthronement. I wish His Holiness vigour, longevity and every success in his archpastoral work. May your prayers keep the Russian Orthodox Church and our Fatherland.

Thank you.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59757

Meeting with permanent members of Security Council

Vladimir Putin met with permanent members of the Security Council to discuss the developments in Venezuela, the US intention to pull out of the INF Treaty and current domestic issues.

February 1, 2019 - 14:50 - The Kremlin, Moscow

While on the topic of Venezuela, the meeting participants noted that the country should be able to settle the internal political crisis without foreign interference.

They also had an in-depth discussion on strategic stability and international security in the context of the expected US withdrawal from the INF Treaty.

The council members also discussed current socioeconomic development issues.

The meeting was attended by Federation Council Speaker Valentina Matviyenko, State Dumas Speaker Vyacheslav Volodin, Chief of Staff of the Presidential Executive Office Anton Vaino, Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Director of the Federal Security Service Alexander Bortnikov, Director of the Foreign Intelligence Service Sergei Naryshkin and Special Presidential Representative for Environmental Protection, Ecology and Transport Sergei Ivanov.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59761

Meeting with Sergei Lavrov and Sergei Shoigu

Vladimir Putin held a working meeting with Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.

February 2, 2019 - 12:00 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, please provide an update on the Treaty on the Elimination of Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles, and the disarmament dossier in general. What is going on in terms of limitation of offensive arms?

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov:

Mr President,

Regarding the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, as you know, it has been in force since 1988. It had an indefinite term. According to the information at our disposal, the United States has been violating the Treaty since 1999, when it started testing combat unmanned aerial vehicles that have the same characteristics as land-based cruise missiles banned by the Treaty.

The United States went on to use ballistic target missiles for testing their missile defence system, and in 2014 they began the deployment in their missile defence system positioning areas in Europe of Mk 41 vertical launching systems. These launchers are fully suitable as they are for Tomahawk intermediate-range attack missiles.

Vladimir Putin:

And this is an outright violation of the Treaty.

Sergei Lavrov:

This is an outright violation of the Treaty. Launchers of this kind have already been deployed in Romania, and preparations are underway to deploy them in Poland, as well as Japan.

Another matter of concern for us is that only recently, just a year ago, the United States in its 2018 Nuclear Posture Review set the task of developing low-yield nuclear weapons, and it is probable that intermediate-range missiles will serve as a means of delivery for these weapons. It was also announced only recently that this provision of the US nuclear doctrine is beginning to materialise with missiles of this kind entering production.

In October 2018, the United States officially declared its intention to withdraw from the Treaty on the Elimination of Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles. We did everything we could to save the Treaty considering its importance in terms of sustaining strategic stability in Europe, as well as globally. The last attempt of this kind was undertaken on January 15, when the US finally agreed to our request for holding consultations in Geneva.

In coordination with the Defence Ministry, we proposed unprecedented transparency measures that went far beyond our obligations under the INF Treaty in order to persuade the US that Russia was not in violation of this essential instrument. However, the US torpedoed these proposals. Instead, the US presented yet another ultimatum. It is obvious that we cannot accept it since it contradicts the INF Treaty in both letter and spirit.

The US announced that it was suspending its participation in the INF Treaty, launched the official withdrawal from it, and said that it will no longer consider itself restricted by the INF Treaty. As far as we can see, this means that the US will make missiles in addition to engaging in research and development activities that have already been factored into the current budget.

There is no doubt that these developments make things worse overall in the sphere of nuclear disarmament and strategic stability. It all started with the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, when the US decided to withdraw from it in 2002, as you know all too well. This was done despite numerous initiatives by the Russian Federation at the UN General Assembly to save the ABM Treaty. The UN General Assembly passed a number of resolutions supporting the ABM Treaty. However, this did not stop the United States from withdrawing from it.

As a partial replacement for the ABM Treaty, the US and Russia signed a joint declaration that same year, 2002, on new strategic relations with a promise to settle all issues related to the so-called third positioning area of the missile-defence system being deployed in Europe at the time. The declaration provided for holding consultations as a way to reach common ground. This did not happen due to the unwillingness of the United States to take up Russia’s concerns in earnest.

In 2007, we made another gesture of good will at your instructions by coming forward with an initiative that consisted of working together to resolve the problems related to US missile defence system’s third positioning area in Europe. Once again, the US backed out of this proposal.

However, at the Russia-NATO Summit in Lisbon in 2010, we once again called for Russia, the US and Europe to work together on a continental missile-defence system. This call was not heeded. Nevertheless, two years later, in 2012, at the NATO Summit in Chicago it was NATO that called for dialogue with Russia on missile defence. However, all this good will boiled down to the US insisting that we simply come to terms with their missile defence approach, despite all the obvious risks and threats to our security posed by this approach.

Let me remind you that in 2013 Russia once again called on the US Department of State to open consultations, and came forward with concrete proposals. There was no reply. And in 2014, the United States brought the dialogue on missile defence to a halt and declared the intention to deploy its positioning areas in Europe and Asia, while also strengthening other systems, including in Alaska and on the east coast.

Talking about other essential international security and strategic stability instruments, the approach adopted by the United States to performing its commitments under the universal Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons has been a matter of concern for Russia. In fact, despite numerous reminders on our part, the United States commits serious violations of the Treaty in its actions within NATO. The Treaty commits nuclear powers to refrain from transferring the corresponding nuclear technologies.

Despite these provisions, NATO engages in so-called joint nuclear missions whereby the United States together with five NATO countries where US nuclear weapons are deployed conduct nuclear weapons drills with countries that are not part of the five nuclear-weapons states. This is a direct violation of the Non-Proliferation Treaty.

Another treaty that had a special role in removing the threat of nuclear war, or, to be more precise, whose preparation was a source of hope for addressing these threats, was the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty [CTBT]. The United States did not ratify it even though doing so was among Barack Obama’s campaign promises when he ran for president.

Right now, this instrument is completely off the radar, since the United States has lost all interest in any consultations on joining this Treaty. Being a party to the CTBT and acting in good faith, Russia holds special events at the UN General Assembly every year in order to promote the Treaty and mobilise public opinion in favour of its entry into force, which requires the United States to join it, among other things.

Apart from the INF Treaty, there is the Strategic Offensive Arms Treaty [START] that remains in force. It is also essential for preserving at least some measure of strategic stability and global parity. It is also under threat, since its effective functioning has come into question after the recent move by the United States to remove from accountability under the treaty 56 submarine based Trident launchers and 41 heavy bombers by declaring them converted into nun-nuclear.

This is possible under the treaty, but the other party has the right to make sure that once converted these weapons cannot be reconverted back into nuclear arsenals.

Vladimir Putin:

An inspection has to be carried out.

Sergei Lavrov:

Yes, an inspection. And there have to be technical means to persuade us that these systems cannot be reconverted and returned into the nuclear arsenal.

We have been holding talks since 2015 to make sure that the United States complies with its obligations on this matter. So far, there have been no results. The technical solutions we have been offered so far cannot persuade us that more than 1,200 warheads, which is an enormous amount, cannot be returned to the nuclear arsenal. Unfortunately, repeated proposals by Russia to launch talks on extending the Strategic Offensive Arms Treaty beyond 2021, when its first term is set to expire, have fallen on deaf ears in the United States. All we hear is that the decision on the New START has yet to be taken.

All in all, the situation is quite alarming. Let me reiterate that the decision taken by the United States on the INF Treaty is of course a matter of serious concern for the entire world, especially for Europe. Nevertheless, the Europeans followed in the footsteps of the United States with all NATO members speaking out in explicit support of the position adopted by the United States to refrain from any discussions on mutual concerns. All we hear are groundless ultimatums requiring us to take unilateral measures without any evidence to support unfounded accusations.

Vladimir Putin:

Thank you.

Mr Shoigu, what is the Defence Ministry’s view on the current situation? And what do you propose in this regard?

Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu:

Mr President, it is obvious to us, despite the murky language that we hear, that apart from openly conducting research and development on the production of intermediate-range and shorter-range missiles, there have been actual violations of the INF Treaty, and this has been going on for several years. To put it simply, the United States has started producing missiles of this kind.

In this connection, we have the following proposals regarding retaliatory measures.

First, we propose launching in the coming months research and development, as well as development and engineering with a view to creating land-based modifications of the sea-based Kalibr launching systems.

Second, we propose launching research and development, followed by development and engineering to create land-based launchers for hypersonic intermediate-range and shorter-range missiles.

We ask you to support these proposals.

Vladimir Putin:

I agree. This is what we will do. Our response will be symmetrical. Our US partners announced that they are suspending their participation in the INF Treaty, and we are suspending it too. They said that they are engaged in research, development and design work, and we will do the same.

I agree with the Defence Ministry’s proposals to create a land-based version of the Kalibr launchers and work on a new project to develop a land-based hypersonic intermediate-range missile.

At the same time, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that we must not and will not let ourselves be drawn into an expensive arms race. I wanted to ask you, would it be possible to finance these initiatives using the existing budget allocations to the Defence Ministry for 2019 and the following years?

Sergei Shoigu:

Mr President, we closely studied this matter, and will propose adjustments to the 2019 budget in order to be able to carry out these initiatives within the limits set by the state armaments programme and the defence procurement orders for 2019 without going over budget.

Vladimir Putin:

This should not entail any increases in the Defence Ministry’s budget.

Sergei Shoigu:

Yes.

Vladimir Putin:

Good.

In this connection, there is one more thing I wanted to ask you. Every six months we hold meetings in Sochi to discuss the implementation of the state defence order with the commanders of the Armed Forces and the defence sector representatives.

Starting this year, I propose modifying this format. I want to see how efforts to deploy our systems are progressing. This refers to the Kinzhal hypersonic air-launched ballistic missile, the Peresvet combat laser weapon, which has already been delivered to the army, and the Avangard system, which is now in serial production, having completed the test phase. I want to see how the production of the Sarmat missile is advancing alongside preparations for placing it on combat duty.

Several days ago, you reported to me on the completion of a key stage in testing the Poseidon multipurpose strategic unmanned underwater vehicle. We have to look at how these efforts are advancing.

We are aware of the plans by some countries to deploy weapons in outer space. I want to hear a report on how this threat can be neutralised.

There is another important topic I wanted to raise with both the Foreign Ministry and the Defence Ministry.

For many years, we have been calling on numerous occasions for holding meaningful disarmament talks on almost all aspects of this matter. In recent years, we have seen that our partners have not been supportive of our initiatives. On the contrary, they always find pretexts to further dismantle the existing international security architecture.

In this connection, I would like to highlight the following considerations, and I expect the Foreign Ministry and the Defence Ministry to use them as guidance. All our proposals in this area remain on the table just as before. We are open to negotiations. At the same time, I ask both ministries not to initiate talks on these matters in the future. I suggest that we wait until our partners are ready to engage in equal and meaningful dialogue on this subject that is essential for us, as well as for our partners and the entire world.

Another important consideration I would like to share with the senior officials of both ministries. We proceed from the premise that Russia will not deploy intermediate-range or shorter-range weapons, if we develop weapons of this kind – neither in Europe nor anywhere else until US weapons of this kind are deployed to the corresponding regions of the world.

I ask the Foreign Ministry and the Defence Ministry to closely monitor developments and promptly submit proposals on ways to respond.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59763

Old February 16th, 2019 #5
Alex Him

Telephone conversation with President of Kyrgyzstan Sooronbay Jeenbekov

Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of Kyrgyzstan Sooronbay Jeenbekov.

February 7, 2019 - 12:00

The discussion covered the future of bilateral cooperation and preparations for Vladimir Putin’s upcoming state visit to Kyrgyzstan.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59788

Meeting with Head of British Petroleum Robert Dudley

February 7, 2019 - 18:55 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Vladimir Putin received the Chief Executive Officer of the oil and gas transnational British Petroleum Company, Robert Dudley, at the Kremlin. They discussed the prospects for BP’s continuing operations in the Russian market.

Presidential Aide Yury Ushakov and Rosneft Chief Igor Sechin attended the meeting.

Russian President Vladimir Putin:

Mr Dudley,

I am delighted to see you; we have met on many occasions. ВР is a major investor in the Russian economy: over 17 billion dollars. You own over 19 percent of our largest oil and gas company Rosneft.

We regard you as a reliable strategic partner; we have always assisted you in doing business in Russia, and we will do so in the future.

I would like to discuss with you the possibilities and prospects for further cooperation, both in your joint projects with Rosneft and separately in the projects that you think are interesting, important and promising.

BP CEO Robert Dudley:

Thank you very much Mr President.

It is good to see you again. And as you know we have been working and competing in the Russian market for more than 30 years. And we have had a strategic partnership with Rosneft now for more than five years and it has worked extremely well.

We have tremendous respect for the company and the results that it is providing not only to the country but to BP as a shareholder. I am sure, Mr President, you are aware of it from a perspective as a shareholder.

I have to say there have been remarkable results in 2018 in the efficiency of Rosneft, record production – 286 million tonnes, more than four times the cash flow from the years before, the technology that has been put in Rosneft has resulted in its largest profit ever. So, in addition to the other projects, we observe Rosneft's great success last year, and I also note that it is now one of top ten largest oil and gas companies in the world.

I would like to thank you for your support of the company and BP’s business over the years. It is very important for me to thank you from the perspective of BP.

Thank you.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59793

Greetings on the opening of the Children Of Asia First International Winter Sports Games

The President sent a message of greetings to the participants, organisers and guests of the Children Of Asia First International Winter Sports Games.

February 9, 2019 - 10:05

“These large-scale competitions with a wide representation carry an important and responsible mission of promoting and spreading Olympic values, developing children’s and youth sports, and enhancing friendship and mutual understanding between people.

I am confident that the Games will be a real holiday for the young participants, an opportunity to show their abilities, strong will and commitment to win and to get involved in the world of big sports. This will also be an unforgettable and happy event for everyone attending it.

I sincerely wish the Children Of Asia International Winter Sports Games to establish their own traditions, uniting gifted, enthusiastic young people from Russia and other countries around their noble goals.”

The Children Of Asia games are being held in Sakhalin on February 9–16. Around 1,200 young athletes from 20 countries will compete in eight disciplines – alpine skiing, snowboarding, biathlon, cross-country skiing, ski jumping, figure skating, short track and ice hockey.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59799

Meeting with President of Kyrgyzstan Sooronbay Jeenbekov

Vladimir Putin had an informal meeting in Sochi with President of Kyrgyzstan Sooronbay Jeenbekov.

February 9, 2019 - 17:10 - Sochi

The two leaders had a detailed discussion of bilateral relations and exchanged views on a number of regional issues.

The discussion also covered preparations for the Russian President’s upcoming visit to Kyrgyzstan in spring.

Mr Jeenbekov, thank you for accepting my invitation and coming for such a brief and in-depth, I would say, working visit.

As we agreed, we will be preparing for our next meeting in late March, to be held in Kyrgyzstan. We will continue our conversation both regarding economic cooperation and our joint efforts to consolidate the Eurasian Economic Community – there is work to be done.

We just spoke about our efforts to protect the common customs contour. Here, Russia did everything it could to render Kyrgyzstan the necessary support. We will of course continue to discuss our work in the field of military construction and cooperation. We need to examine the defence industry in order to keep your enterprises busy.

And, of course, migration policy. We understand how sensitive this is for Kyrgyzstan.

There are some other issues that you raised today for joint discussion and joint work in the nearest future. In the upcoming one and a half months our colleagues will work on them, and at our meeting in Kyrgyzstan we, I hope, will finalise those issues that you highlighted today.

President of Kyrgyzstan Sooronbay Jeenbekov:

Thank you very much for the opportunity to meet with you and discuss relevant issues of bilateral cooperation.

We are looking forward to your visit, a state visit, to Kyrgyzstan. This is a very important political event for us. We are always glad when you visit Kyrgyzstan. When we meet, many issues of our bilateral cooperation are resolved

We appreciate that you always support us practically in all issues of bilateral, multilateral cooperation between our countries. We highly value our historic friendship, which has been consolidating for centuries. We highly value this and are looking forward to seeing you in Kyrgyzstan.

Vladimir Putin:

Thank you.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59803

Old February 16th, 2019 #6
Alex Him

Meeting with Head of Roscosmos Dmitry Rogozin

Vladimir Putin had a meeting with General Director of the Roscosmos State Corporation for Space Activities Dmitry Rogozin to discuss the performance and development plans for the space industry.

February 4, 2019 - 13:20 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Mr Rogozin, let us discuss the space industry’s performance last year and development plans.

General Director of the Roscosmos State Corporation for Space Activities Dmitry Rogozin:

Mr President,

We were working to improve our performance in three fields. The first had to do with the choice of our development priorities. The second concerned the reduction of non-manufacturing expenses by at least 15 percent and increasing the corporation’s revenue by adopting new competences and entering new markets, about which I would like to speak later. We also needed to dramatically improve production discipline at the corporation and all the subordinate agencies. I have introduced a system of the officials’ personal responsibility for budget execution and have taken measures to reduce the corporation’s budget.

I would like to comment on the following charts. The consolidated proceeds of Roscosmos increased from 304 billion rubles in 2017 to 387 billion. This year we plan to increase the revenue to 445 billion rubles. It was the first time we reported a consolidated net income, which we hope to increase fourfold in 2019. Our labour efficiency has also increased.

The next chart shows our indicators. In the past, we failed to properly organise the use of budgetary allocations. As of July 1, 2018, we distributed only 22.5 percent of the approved budget commitments.

To improve the management of budgetary funds and reduce our arrears, a system of my personal operational control as well as monitoring by other corporation executives was introduced at the corporation. In the second half of 2018, we improved the cash execution of the budget to 97.4 percent, thanks to the use of the treasury-based system of execution. We have used all our budgetary allocations to sign contracts.

I would also like to report on our debt portfolio. The Roscosmos management team has taken measures to reduce the corporation’s debts by 10 billion rubles in the fourth quarter of 2018. We will further reduce them by another 10 billion rubles this year.

As regards the structure of our receivables, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that 90 percent of the debt was formed under contracts concluded before 2018. At the same time, more than 80 percent of overdue receivables are from before 2015, that is, arise from long-term contracts that were not divided into stages. Last year, the accumulated overdue receivables were zero.

We have some results in terms of balances on treasury accounts. Due to the measures we have taken, the balances on the treasury accounts of Roscosmos companies for the second half of the year were reduced by 6 billion rubles. This year, we will reduce their balances by a third – by no less than 20 billion rubles.

The so-called revolving money advancing is a structural measure we use to reduce the balances. That is, we do not pay advances to enterprises until they have concluded agreements, contracts with their cooperative entities, and until they have accounted for the use of the previous advances. This policy immediately yields tangible results.

I would like to specifically report on the Khrunichev State Space Research and Production Centre. In autumn 2018, together with the Ministry of Finance, we promptly worked out an arrangement to provide support to the enterprise within the limits of the available funds under the state programme. In a short period of time, we reached agreements with its creditors to postpone the repayment of the body of the loan to 2029. Now they are making payments on all their loans.

The company is working, and has fully restored its production activities, while the current burden on the Khrunichev centre has been cut by 30 billion rubles in just six months. The situation remains difficult, but Roscosmos is in control.

As for the production activities, I would like to report that the control system itself is being optimised. We are beginning to shape an integrated structure. The first unit will be established at NPO Energomash. By the way, I would like to invite you to visit the enterprise, to show the quality of production, and the work process. This is our leading engine manufacturing asset.

This year, we are proceeding to build an integrate structure in satellite construction, in rocket building, and instrument making. This way we will avoid duplicating functions in enterprises and introduce a single technical policy throughout the industry.

As for the new medium rocket, the Soyuz-5, the project has been launched, the cooperation of enterprises has been established, and production facilities have begun to prepare for this project. In 2022, we plan to begin flight tests of the Soyuz-5 with the new manned ship.

About the super heavy rocket, the general schedule has been endorsed for building the ground-based space infrastructure, and the exterior design of this rocket has practically been chosen. I will also report to you in more detail.

Vladimir Putin:

Is it for the lunar programme?

Dmitry Rogozin:

Yes, exactly.

The tests of the Angara-A5 heavy lift launch vehicle are to be resumed this year. On December 21, shortly before the New Year, we successfully launched the Proton-M rocket. This year we are sending six Protons to Baikonur. That is, we are restoring our positions in the market of heavy lift launch services.

I must note that, in 2018, we had 22 launches; in 2019, Mr President, 45 launches are planned – more than double. The workload is large, but I believe we can handle it.

As for the Sarmat combat missile, I will also report that we are proceeding according to schedule.

Vladimir Putin:

Good.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59764

Congratulations to Russia’s Buddhists

Vladimir Putin congratulated Russian Buddhists on the Lunar New Year and the beginning of the White Moon.

February 5, 2019 - 09:20

“Relying on the centuries-old historical, cultural, spiritual traditions of their ancestors, Russian Buddhists widely celebrate this festive event. During these days that symbolise the renewal of man and nature, people reflect on the results of the outgoing year, sincerely wish each other good health and fulfilment of plans. It is a time to support our loved ones and anyone who needs care.

It is important that Buddhist communities are actively involved in the life of our country. Their interaction with state and public organisations grows, and a great deal of attention is given to educating young people and implementing popular charity and educational initiatives. Such fruitful work deserves the deepest respect.”

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59770

Winners of the 2018 Presidential Prize in Science and Innovation for Young Scientists announced

Vladimir Putin signed Executive Order On the 2018 Presidential Prize in Science and Innovation for Young Scientists.

February 5, 2019 - 12:30 - Moscow

Established in 2008, the annual prize will be awarded to young scientists and professionals for the tenth time this year. The prize is awarded for contribution to advancing Russian science, for creating new equipment and technology that can boost the innovative development of the economy and social sphere, as well as for strengthening national defence.

The winners were announced at a special briefing by Presidential Aide Andrei Fursenko.

Vladimir Putin analysed the recommendations of the Presidential Council for Science and Education and decided that the 2018 Presidential Prize in Science and Innovation for Young Scientists and the honorary title of prize-winner shall be awarded to the following individuals:

Yevgeny Gorlov and Viktor Zharkov, for the development and use of lidar technology for the remote detection of explosives. Both are Candidates of Sciences (Physics and Mathematics) and are research associates at the Zuyev Institute of Atmospheric Optics of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

Yekaterina Grizanova, for discovering previously unknown mechanisms of agriculture and forest insect pest resistance to bioinsecticides based on Bacillus thuringiensis. She is a lead researcher at Novosibirsk State Agrarian University, Candidate of Sciences (Biology).

Vyacheslav Dyachuk, for discovering previously unknown mechanisms underlying the development of invertebrate and vertebrate nervous systems. He is a senior researcher at the Zhirmunsky National Scientific Centre for Marine Biology, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Candidate of Sciences (Biology).

Ivan Oseledets, for creating breakthrough computing technologies for solving multidimensional problems in physics, chemistry, biology and data analysis based on tensor expansion. He is an Associate Professor at the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, Candidate of Sciences (Physics and Mathematics).

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59768

Meeting with Moscow Region Governor Andrei Vorobyov

Vladimir Putin had a working meeting with Moscow Region Governor Andrei Vorobyov, who updated the President on the socioeconomic development of the region, primarily the implementation of national projects and the creation of education clusters.

February 5, 2019 - 13:05 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Andrei Vorobyov said that 817 billion rubles and about $1 billion of foreign funds had been invested in the fixed capital of regional companies in 2018. Economic zones and industrial parks have been established with all the needed infrastructure. Medium-sized agricultural companies, in particular in the dairy and cheese sectors, receive subsidies for infrastructure development. This is why investments have increased by some 15 percent. More new jobs will be created in 2019, the Governor said.

Mr Vorobyov said he had received letters addressed to the President from the companies Daimler and Mercedes. The German businesses have quickly built a passenger car plant in an industrial park in the Solnechnogorsk District and plan to open it in April. It is the first Mercedes plant not only in Russia but also in Eastern Europe. The plant will roll out some 40,000 cars of four models annually. Mercedes is working closely with the colleges that will train personnel for the plant.

When the President mentioned an attractive idea of education centres, Andrei Vorobyov told him about the plans to establish two education centres for pupils from the Moscow Region and other parts of Russia, which would be modelled after the Sirius educational centre in Sochi. The first project provides for the expansion of the PhysTech School of the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology in Dolgoprudny, with the number of students growing from 600 to 1,500. The second project has to do with the popular Primakov humanities school. Both projects are in the advanced stage of preparations.

The Governor also updated the President on the opening of a bridge across the Volga River in Dubna, where the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research is located, in late 2018. The bridge leads to the Dubna Free Economic Zone, which has been expanded by 35 hectares because investors bring their money and jobs are highly paid there.

Other issues discussed at the meeting include the plans to build a general children’s hospital and the construction of an oncological block as part of the Healthcare national project, which will promote preventive examination and diagnosis at the early stages of the disease.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59769

Delovaya Rossiya forum meeting

Vladimir Putin took part in the plenary meeting of Delovaya Rossiya national public organisation’s 11th Business Forum.

February 6, 2019 - 15:20 - Moscow

The organisers of the Forum invited to the Moscow International House of Music over 1,500 guests, including representatives of ministries and government agencies, heads of Russian regions, owners of major Russian companies, and members of the expert community.

The key theme of discussions at the forum is the role of business in achieving national development goals.

Good afternoon, friends, colleagues.

I am sincerely glad to welcome all of you at the regular Delovaya Rossiya Forum. The theme of today's meeting is the role of business in achieving national development goals, which is evidence of our common attitude, the business community’s commitment to working efficiently and cooperatively. It shows that Russian business leaders understand perfectly well their responsibility for our country’s future and are ready to make a significant, if not a decisive contribution to its economic development, and to Russia’s development in general.

The role of businesses in meeting strategic goals is truly very big, not to say enormous. It is the entrepreneurial initiative that creates jobs, which means it increases salaries and incomes of millions of our citizens. And the stronger and more dynamic companies we have in both conventional and emerging industries, the more stable our economic growth will be. This is important, first of all, for our country to become richer, and for the people’s prosperity and quality of life to grow.

Allow me to underscore that the national projects are aimed at achieving a breakthrough in Russia’s development. I talk about this regularly, and I am sure that you agree with me. We need this breakthrough; it is our main, paramount goal, and having achieved it, we will have what we have been living and working for: strong and steady growth in the welfare of our country’s citizens.

These national projects should certainly become an incentive for Russian businesses, for the rapid development of advanced technologies, the emergence of new products and services, so that our companies strengthen their foothold not only on the national market, but also on global markets, and confidently join global production chains.

To achieve this, we must focus on several important things. Firstly, we must consistently remove barriers and expand entrepreneurial freedoms. The quality of our business climate must be commensurate with the scale of the goals facing Russia. It is the flaws in the national jurisdiction, I have to admit, and the insufficient guarantees of private property protection that have forced many business owners to register their assets abroad and to export these assets.

As you know, we have announced an amnesty of capital, which is valid until March 1, 2019. Moreover, individuals are exempt from liability for certain offences under economic, currency and tax legislation.

Naturally, my colleagues and I have discussed the situation in this area, and we believe that the capital amnesty for those bringing back assets or registering their businesses in special administrative regions with special legal conditions for companies returning to the Russian jurisdiction can be extended at least for another year. Such regions have been created, as you know, on Oktyabrsky Island in Kaliningrad and on Russky Island in Vladivostok.

I also consider it expedient to exempt citizens from paying personal income tax for one year on the profits of foreign companies controlled by them– if they become tax residents in the Russian Federation in 2019.

The second area of our work is expanding competition. The projects that we are implementing create a huge demand for industrial, infrastructural, agricultural and social products. I want to point out again for the Government that all order placements and purchases by government and municipal bodies as well as companies with state participation must be open and transparent. We need additional measures to build a competitive environment. I know that you have specific proposals and we will discuss them by all means.

As concerns your idea, we do not communicate with your colleagues as often as we should but still we do it on a regular basis and we are aware of these proposals. As concerns your suggestion that the supplier selection procedure be started as early as possible, we are already working on it. I agree that it would be reasonable to categorise this project by groups of products or services so that companies have time (for example, at least six months) to prepare thoroughly for a tender.

Third. We are building an integrated system to promote our products in global markets. A similar mechanism is required for exporting services. Following a proposal from Delovaya Rossiya, this approach will be reflected in legislation, including in taxation terms. I am not only talking about developing exports but about stimuli for businesses to invest in healthcare, education, logistics and tourism – the areas that create a comprehensive economic, social and technological effect.

Naturally, a key issue is greater support for the Russian business’s technological development, assistance in implementing innovation and modernising production. We have already adopted certain decisions in this area. As one of the measures, I would like to ask regional governments to more actively provide businesses with tax rebates on renewed capital funds.

Clearly, the budget always needs revenue, and this applies to budgets at any level, but, without a doubt, we need to think long term and create favourable conditions for opening and modernising enterprises, boosting labour productivity, which would increase tax returns and the region would move forward. Necessary legislative initiatives already exist at the federal level; now it is the turn of regional governments to make such decisions. Unfortunately, so far only ten regions of the Russian Federation have done that.

Here is one more proposal. Breakthrough solutions and ideas for large companies are often developed by smaller business and research teams. They need to be provided with the necessary funding, primarily at the very early stage of development. As a matter of fact, this is something we always talk about. It is important to create incentives for private investment, to create preferential conditions, including in taxation, for people who invest their own funds in startups. They are imaginatively called ‘business angels’. I ask the Government and Delovaya Rossiya to submit appropriate proposals shortly.

At the same time, I believe we must improve the legal protection of intellectual property, and to create attractive conditions for the registration of patents – here in Russia, of course. Certain steps have already been taken in this area, but many issues, unfortunately, still require effective solutions and development.

Colleagues, we have always worked together closely and constructively. I expect that today we will attain some practical solutions to issues that are important both for the state and for business.

Today’s meeting is taking place in the Moscow House of Music, and it is certainly difficult to avoid analogies here. There is a comparison, well, I will not go into details now, but we know that global developments are unfolding very actively, at a rapid pace, and we should also work in this manner – allegro.

I hope that our meeting will be productive and will help me to formulate proposals and ideas for this year’s Address to the Federal Assembly.

Thank you.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59775

Meeting with Rector of Peter the Great St Petersburg Polytechnic University Andrei Rudskoi

The discussion covered ongoing work and future prospects of the university.

February 6, 2019 - 17:20 - Moscow

Andrei Rudskoi outlined his vision of how higher education institutions and the Russian Academy of Sciences should work with industry in order to achieve a concrete synergy between science, education and production.

Mr Rudskoi noted that the university he leads has extensive experience in this area. A number of specific industrial projects have been completed over the past five years, and real-world technological issues have been resolved. A consortium was established with major companies, such as Rostec, UAC, USC, Rosatom and the Kurchatov Institute.

Separately, Mr Rudskoi discussed the university’s cooperation with Kamaz, with which it has signed an agreement to develop technology for a universal platform for advanced means of public transport, such as buses, electric buses and trolleybuses.

In addition, Mr Rudskoi told the President about cooperation between St Petersburg Polytechnic University and the new St Petersburg administration.

Vladimir Putin extended his greetings to Andrei Rudskoi on the coming anniversary of the university, which was founded on February 19, 1899.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59786

Meeting with winners of Nemaly Business Prize

Vladimir Putin received at the Kremlin the winners of the 2019 Nemaly Business Prize, an open contest for young entrepreneurs.

February 6, 2019 - 19:00 - The Kremlin, Moscow

The purpose of the contest is to support outstanding small business representatives who create new production facilities, products and jobs, helping to boost the economy and solve social problems.

A long list of 100 companies was compiled by experts from the many submissions. Then the top 25 contestants were determined by online voting, with the winners in six categories selected from this number.

The prize in the Good Business category has gone to Artyom Malanin, Director General of the company VeloLider, which manufactures and sells rehabilitation exercise equipment for disabled people, including children.

Ilya Sachkov, Director General and co-founder of the company Group-IB, has won the prize in the Innovative Breakthrough category for projects aimed at detecting and preventing cyber threats.

Artyom Kopylov, Director General of the company Agromig manufacturing grain dryers, has won the prize in the Practical Product category.

Yulia Kuznetsova, head of the Leo Language School chain, has won the prize in the Early Success category.

Andrei Dukhovsky, Director General of the Domashniye Retsepty (Home Recipes) company producing natural kvass and fruit drinks, has won the award for rapid growth.

Nikolay Kuzyakov, Director General and co-founder of the Vanyushkiny Sladosti (Vanyushka's Sweets) candy company has won the Grand Prix.

The prize was awarded for the first time this year.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59787

Presentation of 2018 Presidential Prize in Science and Innovation for Young Scientists

Vladimir Putin presented Presidential prizes in Science and Innovation for Young Scientists in the Kremlin. The ceremony was traditionally timed to Russian Science Day marked on February 8.

February 7, 2019 - 14:00 - The Kremlin, Moscow

Established in 2008, this year the annual prize is awarded to young scientists and professionals for contribution to advancing Russian science, for creating new equipment and technology that can boost the innovative development of the economy and social sphere, as well as for strengthening national defence.

Good afternoon, colleagues, friends.

We are meeting on the eve of Russian Science Day, so I would like to wish you and all scientists of Russia the very best on the occasion of this upcoming event.

The role of national science, its traditions, schools, and achievements have been important for our country and its development at all times. Today, when we are faced with a goal of a large-scale technological breakthrough, its value has increased many times over.

It is very important that young scientists are actively involved in this work, that they contribute to the creation of advanced technologies in medicine, ecology, energy, agriculture, construction and other fields, that they participate in space exploration and the study of world oceans, as well as in projects that strengthen national security.

I would like to stress once again that all our national projects require a strong scientific foundation, including the tasks of Russia’s spatial development, building new mechanisms of economic, scientific, technological growth across its vast territory.

This is why very shortly we are launching the development of world-class science and education centres and research facilities. They will first be built in the regions where science and its achievements are particularly important for the socioeconomic development, including Siberia and the Far East.

These new points of growth are particularly important for young people. Sirius has already become a point of attraction for children who are passionate about science and invention. I am certain that the opening of genetic and mathematical advanced research centres will significantly expand the opportunities for their professional careers in science.

Friends, it is well known that the success of science is determined by talented, passionate people, including young scientists, who think in modern terms, who have new and advanced knowledge, who are devoted to their work and strive to fulfill their most advanced ideas.

To support their ambitions, to strengthen their motivation, we launched a line of grants, scholarships and awards that expand their opportunities for professional growth, for achievements in science, innovation and technology.

Thus, the Russian Science Foundation started a special programme in 2017 to support young scientists from the moment they defend a dissertation until they create their own scientific groups.

Over the past two years, more than 1,500 young researchers received the grants; more than 500 started research teams and organised work in such promising fields as digital production technology, personalised healthcare and resource-saving energy.

One of this project’s advantages is reduced bureaucratic formalities. This has always been appreciated by the scientific community. I expect that the same approach will be fully applied to the Science national project.

In recent years, we have significantly increased the number of researchers who are under the age of 39. Strong, talented young people join scientific research teams. This trend is also manifest in the growing number of nominees for this award each year.

You know that its format is limited to four categories, but there are many more worthy projects competing for the prize this year, which made it even more difficult to make the choice.

We will certainly continue attracting young and promising personnel to science, as well as building a unified system of schools for gifted children, leading universities, graduate students working in various laboratories and world-class research centres.

This way we will be able to saturate our development programmes with research staff, open up opportunities for free cooperation between scientists from different teams, including foreign ones, to address relevant interdisciplinary problems.

Friends, I am pleased to present the prize winners to you. All of them have proposed bold scientific solutions and achieved high results.

A study by Yekaterina Grizanova determined the minute mechanisms of insect pests becoming resistant to biological plant protection products, making it possible to create effective and, most importantly, environmentally friendly products that help protect crops and forests.

The work by biologist Vyacheslav Dyachuk significantly contributes to understanding the fundamentals of nerve cell development, and consequently, advancing the treatment of various pathologies, including Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease. This is highly important for increasing the duration of a healthy and active life.

Ivan Oseledets proposed breakthrough solutions in computational technology. They focus on efficient processing of large arrays of mathematical data on the object of study. The software developed on this basis is extensively used by research groups around the world for solving complex applied tasks. The approach proposed by this laureate is already included in matrix analysis textbooks.

Tomsk physicists Yevgeny Gorlov and Viktor Zharkov developed a new method to discover ultra-low concentrations of explosive substances. The method allows to expose sources of danger in an intense passenger flow at a distance and basically can replace service dogs. Experts estimate that these solutions are substantially more advanced than similar foreign developments.

Friends, congratulations on your great professional success. Congratulations on your promising work that sets a high bar for all Russian research.

This is a huge achievement of your mentors, leaders in the scientific fields that you chose for your career. I expect that in the future you will do all you can to strengthen the succession of the Russian research schools.

Do not ever stop, overcome all difficulties and move on confidently towards new scientific horizons.

Thank you.

<…>

Vladimir Putin:

Friends,

Once again, congratulations to our laureates, and to all mentors who helped these young researchers to achieve these results.

We are speaking of the protection of people, protection of plants, as well as development in general. Overall, we are speaking of the development of our country and global research as well.

I am pleased to see that these results were achieved by young researchers. It means that we have a bright future, a powerful foundation, interesting, prospective and reliable reserves.

I would like to once again congratulate you on your achievements. I really hope that they will not be your last and it is only the beginning of your creative journey.

My very best wishes to everybody on the occasion of Science Day.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59790

Birthday greetings to National Artist of Russia Irina Muravyova

Vladimir Putin wished a happy 70th birthday to stage and screen actress, National Artist of Russia Irina Muravyova.

February 8, 2019 - 09:00

“A fine actress, you are renowned for your deep, multifaceted theatre performances, and striking, unforgettable and truly seminal roles on screen. Your generous talent, remarkable sincerity and charm have earned you the utmost recognition by fellow actors and the audiences’ undying admiration.”

Irina Muravyova has starred in 40 stage and televised productions, and in 44 films.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59798

Meeting with permanent members of the Security Council

Vladimir Putin held a meeting with permanent members of the Security Council.

February 8, 2019 - 14:00 - The Kremlin, Moscow

The Security Council members exchanged opinions on various aspects of Russian-Belarusian allied relations ahead of the working visit by President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko scheduled for next Wednesday, February 13, and his talks with Vladimir Putin.

The meeting participants also discussed the situation in Syria in the context of the upcoming summit of the leaders of Russia, Turkey and Iran on February 14.

The agenda also covered current issues of the domestic socioeconomic agenda.

The meeting was attended by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, Federation Council Speaker Valentina Matviyenko, Chief of Staff of the Presidential Executive Office Anton Vaino, Secretary of the Security Council Nikolai Patrushev, Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu, Director of the Federal Security Service Alexander Bortnikov, Director of the Foreign Intelligence Service Sergei Naryshkin and Special Presidential Representative for Environmental Protection, Ecology and Transport Sergei Ivanov.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59795

Condolences to family and friends of Sergei Yursky

Vladimir Putin expressed his condolences to the family and friends of Soviet and Russian actor Sergei Yursky.

February 8, 2019 - 14:10

“Sergei Yursky was a remarkable actor and director, a brilliant and multi-faceted talent. A masterful actor, he performed on the most prominent theatre stages in this country. Sergei Yursky created amazingly accurate, unforgettable characters on screen, and served as a model of unconditional and selfless devotion to art.”

Sergei Yursky passed away on February 8 at the age of 83.

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59797

Greetings to participants, organisers and guests of the 37th Lyzhnya Rossii nationwide mass ski race

Vladimir Putin sent greetings to participants, organisers and guests of the 37th Lyzhnya Rossii [Russian Ski Track] nationwide mass ski race.

February 9, 2019 - 11:00

“These traditional competitions are famous for their friendly informal atmosphere and are rightly considered one of the season’s most important and large-scale events. They unite skiing fans across the country into one closely-knit team, offer everyone a chance to try test their skills, to compete alongside professionals and recognised athletes, and to feel the support of their families and friends.

Of course, the famous Russian Ski Track race makes it evident how important fitness and sports, as well as an active and healthy lifestyle are for the young and people of all ages.”

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59802

Greetings on Diplomats’ Day

Vladimir Putin sent greetings to current and former staff of the Russian Foreign Ministry on their professional holiday, Diplomats’ Day.

February 10, 2019 - 10:00

“The foreign policy service of our country is proud of its rich history and glorious traditions, as it should be. Russian diplomats of many generations have served the Motherland with honour and have remained faithful to their professional duty.

Today, our diplomacy is making a significant contribution to strengthening peace, resolving important regional and global issues, and promoting cooperation with our foreign partners.

In today’s challenging circumstances, when international security and the rule of law are subjected to serious tests, you, the diplomats, face important and major tasks. In particular, it is imperative to enthusiastically uphold the basic principles of international law and the universal role of the UN and to strive to rally the international community in fighting the terrorist threat. Maintaining strategic stability needs much attention, especially now that the arms control and non-proliferation regime has been challenged.

Much remains to be done to further advance the peace process in Syria, as well as to find solutions to other crises by political and diplomatic means.

Of course, efforts should be stepped up to promote Eurasian integration processes and to expand the external relations of the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) with an eye to forming the Greater Eurasian Partnership.

I am confident that the staff of the Foreign Ministry’s central office and overseas missions will continue to work proactively, with full dedication and creativity in the interest of ensuring Russia’s dynamic development and further strengthening of its standing and influence on the international stage.“

The source of information - http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/59804

Thread