Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 3rd, 2006 #1
A.I.M
Not just a pretty face

Default 14 dead and the Afghani smack still floods into the veins of our lost generation!

SCOTLAND faces a flood of ultra-pure cheap heroin after the United Nations reported record levels of opium production across Afghanistan this year.

The country has produced its largest-ever drugs harvest following a 59% surge in production in defiance of a British-led international effort to curb the country's drugs economy.

Afghanistan is set to produce 6,100 tonnes of opium, the raw ingredient for heroin, which represents 92% of the world's production this year. Afghanistan's opium production is enough to exceed by 30% the world's consumption of heroin.

Speaking to Scotland on Sunday, Antonio Maria Costa, executive director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, warned of a healthcare explosion that can be expected to follow.

"I am shortly to issue a warning to the health ministries of countries of major heroin-consuming nations. Traditionally a sudden change in supply conditions does not affect the quantity of heroin, but its purity.

"When this last happened in 2004, the purity of heroin on the streets of Britain went from 24% to more than 50% purity. After three or four years of steady decline in the

number of deaths from overdose, there was a sudden increase. I fear this will happen again. This increase in opium production in Afghanistan will have serious health implications."

The record harvest comes disproportionately from the troubled southern province of Helmand, where 4,500 British troops have been battling Taliban insurgents for the past few months. The province witnessed a 162% increase in production to more than a third of the total countrywide harvest.

Costa also warned of an increasingly critical situation across Afghanistan. "The news is very bad," he said. "In some southern provinces the situation is out of control. Opium is the largest employer, largest income generator, largest source of capital, biggest export and main source of foreign investment."

However, he denied that the situation was hopeless. He said that the Afghan government must recover "province by province".

Although the number of drug-related deaths in Scotland fell to 336 last year, news of an increased heroin supply was greeted with dismay by drug campaigners last night.

Tom Wood, chairman of the Scottish Association of Alcohol and Drug Action Teams, said: "This is very bad news for us because there will be a glut of heroin on the market. This is the produce of the poppy crop from two years ago because there is quite a lead time from the opium harvest to drug production. It also comes at the same time as an unprecedented amount of cocaine is flooding the streets."

The increase in heroin supply will also leave drugs and Customs officers overwhelmed.

Wood, a former deputy chief constable of Lothian and Borders Police, added: "The law enforcement agencies have never been performing better than now, but even performing as well as they do, they never have or will be able to stem the flow."

Alistair Ramsay, former director of Scotland Against Drugs, who now runs Drugwise, a drugs advice consultancy, said the influx could drive the price down: "This could provoke enormous tension on Scotland's streets between the drug lords importing cocaine from Columbia and those delivering heroin from Afghanistan. They want to maximise their profits and they won't want competitors muscling in."

Old September 3rd, 2006 #2
T. Kadijevic
† Chaotic Christian †

Apparantly non Afghans actually control the flow of opium since the invasion. So really, it wouldn't surprise me if it were British or Americans spreading it around. Easier for people to accept that the Afghans are behind it all.
"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him...." ------ John 8:44

Old September 3rd, 2006 #3
Charlie-Horse
Elusive Pimpernel

Default Smack Heeds

There isn't much that depresses more than the sight of a used syringe. This is all too common nowaday's though I am afraid.

What is guaranteed though, is that someone's blue eyed daughter is going to be selling herself on the streets for it, what a waste of a life

Old September 3rd, 2006 #4
Seaforth
Banned

Funny that in the time the Taliban held power in Afghanistan opium production wnet down to zero. But as soon as the Amreicans arrived it jumped up to its old levels in a matter of years. *head scratching*

Old September 3rd, 2006 #5
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodjanoj
Apparantly non Afghans actually control the flow of opium since the invasion. So really, it wouldn't surprise me if it were British or Americans spreading it around. Easier for people to accept that the Afghans are behind it all.
Buy, read and show these two books around ...

Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras and the Crack Cocaine Explosion by Gary Webb.

The Politics of Heroin: CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade by AW McCoy.

Gary Webb was writing a sequel showing how the CIA had restarted opium production previously stopped by the Taliban. He recently "committed suicide" Dr kelly style ...

Old September 3rd, 2006 #6
Charlie-Horse
Elusive Pimpernel

Default Newsreaders

Quote:
When stories about drug production in Afghanistan are being aired via the TV news, do you think the newsreaders themselve's actually know that they are dealing out a line of bullshit, do you think that they have 'sold their souls' for a pay packet, or do you think they are just 'ignorant fools', sometimes when I watch the news, I look at the newsreader, and I wonder what is going on in their private thought's.

Old September 3rd, 2006 #7
Itz_molecular
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaforth
Funny that in the time the Taliban held power in Afghanistan opium production wnet down to zero.
Just as Edgar Steele said in his latest rant , 'America has become jewish' .

Old September 4th, 2006 #8
Bob 88
This Time The World !

Thumbs down

Some time ago scientist's invented a GM virus which can destroy the poppy field's, however the western government's are afraid to use it for fear of upsetting the enviromentalist brigade.

Thousand's of people - addict's and victims of drug crime have to suffer because of a handfull of green Cranks !.

Old September 4th, 2006 #9
A.I.M
Not just a pretty face

Bring back agent orange!!!

Thread