Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 11th, 2009 #41
Lauren Inniss

I am looking at our groceries and trying to find ways to cut costs. I am trying to argue that we should get the cheapest brand of everything. My boyfriend says no and that the cheap brands have less nutrition. I say to him that if we save money now, one day we may be able to grow our own food for our CHILDREN and give them the best nutrition of all! He says I won't have healthy pregnancies if I don't get good nutrition.

My goal now is to decrease our grocery cost by $100 a month. I aim for my groceries to cost $25 a week and his $75 a week. I will now list our typical grocery list. This costs us about $500 a month. I would like to cut it down to $400 a month. Any advice would be appreciated. What can I cut down on? Is there anything good I can substitute for something else? Other random advice? Thanks.

Fruit (apples, oranges, bananas)
Vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, broccolli, cucumber, carrot, zucchini, eggplant, radishes)
Soup ingredients (veggies, olive oil, garlic, onion, bullion cubes)
Oats
Pasta
Eggs
Lentils
Protein powder/protein bars
Vitamins (calcium and vitamin D because I am lactose intolerant and can have very little dairy, and glucosamin because I have bad joints)
Red meat
Potatoes
Yoghurt
Cheese
Seasonings (oregano, parsley, basil, chives, lemon juice, garlic, onion)
Fish (canned tuna usually)
Bread
Risotto
Sweet potatoes
Skim milk
Nuts
Soap
Moisturizer
Shampoo and conditioner
Toilet paper
Paper towel
Cleaners, dish liquid, sponges, laundry detergent, etc

Old September 11th, 2009 #42
Duke Mitchell
Banned

Protein powder (dessicated whey) is an industrial waste product from milk production that Joe Weider has made a fortune on turning it from a product the milk industry used to have to pay to dispose of into a top dollar, brightly packaged and heavily advertised product that people actually (falsely) believe is worth the money.

It is also terrible nutritional wise in addition to being over-priced.

Quote:
I am trying to argue that we should get the cheapest brand of everything. My boyfriend says no and that the cheap brands have less nutrition.
There is no "magic" nutrients in name brand food. Their wheat/corn/whatever all comes from the same field that the store brands come from. You are paying for brand advertising.

Old September 11th, 2009 #43
Lauren Inniss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Mitchell View Post
Doesn't really make a significant amount of difference. People think they can declare bankruptcy and get out of their obligations, but that is not true. If you have an income, the bankruptcy judge will not let you dissolve the debt you owe to the bank. You are on the hook for it. If you stop paying and it falls on your father, they will still destroy your credit and you wont even be able to rent an apartment outside of the ghetto. When they file the lawsuit against you for nonpayment, you will also be responsible for their lawyer fee's on top of the debt you already owe.
Ok then, Sir, what would YOU do if you were in my boyfriend's position.

Old September 11th, 2009 #44
Lauren Inniss

Quote:
Protein powder (dessicated whey) is an industrial waste product from milk production that Joe Weider has made a fortune on turning it from a product the milk industry used to have to pay to dispose of into a top dollar, brightly packaged and heavily advertised product that people actually (falsely) believe is worth the money.

There is no "magic" nutrients in name brand food. Their wheat/corn/whatever all comes from the same field that the store brands come from. You are paying for brand advertising.
You are actually completely right.
According to my calculations we could save $30 a month by cutting the protein powder and an additional $60 by cutting the protein bars. We each eat a protein bar every day. We could try to find cheaper sources for extra protein - but where?

Old September 11th, 2009 #45
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Inniss View Post
Dump you because you talk too much and are annoying.

Old September 11th, 2009 #46
Lauren Inniss

Quote:

You are actually completely right. According to my calculations we could save $30 a month by cutting the protein powder and an additional $60 by cutting the protein bars. We each eat a protein bar every day. We could try to find cheaper sources for extra protein - but where?

Old September 11th, 2009 #47
George Witzgall

Quote:
Also this guy Duke Mitchell just has negative things to say all the time because he hates Italians. He has sent me so many messages about how I should leave my boyfriend for a Nordic type male. And after posting this thread, he said that I should leave my boyfriend and come live with him in CALIFORNIA!

wow, inviting a beautiful young vulnerable girl who is in bad monetary straights to leave her impoverished boyfriend and come live with you..

that is really low.

that's like, almost as low as I would go if she were a he and turned to me for advice.

Old September 11th, 2009 #48
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
You are actually completely right. According to my calculations we could save $30 a month by cutting the protein powder and an additional $60 by cutting the protein bars. We each eat a protein bar every day. We could try to find cheaper sources for extra protein - but where?

Old September 11th, 2009 #49
Lauren Inniss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

Together we eat 36 eggs a week already, LOL

Old September 11th, 2009 #50
Lauren Inniss

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post
wow, inviting a beautiful young vulnerable girl who is in bad monetary straights to leave her impoverished boyfriend and come live with you..

that is really low.

that's like, almost as low as I would go if she were a he and turned to me for advice.
Yeah, it is really low, because the intentions behind it are obvious.
I don't know why people call me beautiful, my damn face was blurred out in the photographs I posted - YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE MY FACE.
I could be a monster for all you know.

Old September 11th, 2009 #51
Duke Mitchell
Banned

Quote:
I was in your boyfriend's position, 15 years ago. I tried keeping a girlfriend and starting a family, but I figured out after a lot of trouble that it just isn't natural for a young man to be doing that in his early 20's. The 20's are the time when a young man makes his mistakes and learns about life, gains experience on his own.

Young women are not fit for young men. When he pays his dues for a decade, then he can have a young woman to make his wife. That's just how it goes.

If I was in your boyfriends position, I would sleep on a friends couch and work all my waking hours to make as much money as I could over 10 years so I could move away from the city with a nice chunk of change.

Old September 11th, 2009 #52
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
I don't know why people call me beautiful, my damn face was blurred out in the photographs I posted - YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE MY FACE.
You could also be an imposter.

Didn't I read somewhere you saying it's ok for men to hit women? If true, you would be the first woman in history to say such a thing.

Old September 11th, 2009 #53
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
There has been a solution for that problem for some time now.

Old September 11th, 2009 #54
Lauren Inniss

Quote:
You could also be an imposter.

Didn't I read somewhere you saying it's ok for men to hit women? If true, you would be the first woman in history to say such a thing.
I do think its ok for men to hit women. That's why I get banned everywhere.

PLEASE DON'T turn this thread into a discussion about this. I am truly grateful for everyone who has given me advice, I have thought up budgets and plans for us to be able to save $800 a month, please don't turn my thread into a fight.

Old September 11th, 2009 #55
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
I do think its ok for men to hit women. That's why I get banned everywhere.
Well, I don't think the penalties for hitting women should be any worse than hitting men and certainly many women need a good bitch slapping but if a guy is in a relationship with a female and it's reaching a point where he's thinking about clocking the bitch then it's time to get a new woman.

Old September 11th, 2009 #56
psychologicalshock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
You're spending 900 a month on rent? For two people? In Canada? What are you living in? That seems way high to me. As does 500/month in food. You should be able to cut large chunks out of those expenses.
For real, here's my current place of residence - I mostly sleep and vomit here.

Cost : 0 dollars, occasional trouble with the kwaps.

And here's what I eat-

Cost - minimal, I work at the place.

Old September 11th, 2009 #57
George Witzgall

Quote:
Well, I don't think the penalties for hitting women should be any worse than hitting men and certainly many women need a good bitch slapping but if a guy is in a relationship with a female and it's reaching a point where he's thinking about clocking the bitch then it's time to get a new woman.
yeah he shouldn't be hitting your pretty face. I think she means he takes her over his knee and spanks her. if she's been a naughty girl.

srsly lauren if he does lose his temper and beat you a lot you should stay away from him.

Last edited by George Witzgall; September 11th, 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Old September 11th, 2009 #58
Lauren Inniss

Please don't turn this thread into a joke. Take it somewhere else, let me use this for my serious conversations.

Old September 11th, 2009 #59
Lauren Inniss

Quote:
He has only hit me once before, for being stupid. It isn't really any different from hitting your child. Would you hit your child if they were bad?

Old September 11th, 2009 #60
George Witzgall

Quote:
He has only hit me once before, for being stupid. It isn't really any different from hitting your child. Would you hit your child if they were bad?
spank, yes. if really bad even maybe a belt (if a teenager). hit? no.

Tags
attention whores, dating black men, grab my jockey strap, indian giver, stand in the corner

Thread