Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 25th, 2021 #1
Serbian

Default What kind of story is hidden in the photo from the last day of Kosovo war 1999?

After being withdrawn from the territory of Kosovo and Metohija, Sasa Šajkić and his group were ordered to prepare for the action again, they thought they were returning to Kosovo. If there weren't enough journalists and photo reporters that day, no one would know where and what they were doing.

Šajkić says that the photo in which he is was taken on June 20, 1999, the last day of the war.

"In some negotiations where we were in the role of securing our officers, I was at the place where journalists were allowed to approach," states Šajkić.

Face to face, the first class sergeant of the elite 72nd Special Brigade and British Sergeant Gaz Robinson from the "Desert Rats" unit, stood facing each other for a full ten hours.

"Besides me, there were about twenty other British soldiers, mostly some children aged 18 or 20, all sunburned and all terrified," Shajkic recalls.

It was especially strange to them, as he added, that we showed up, they were very unpleasantly surprised, but we made contact very quickly.

The photo is impressive, not only because of the difference in the appearance of the two special forces, but also because of the story that followed.

I took the bullet out of the barrel and gave it to the British sergeant as a keepsake

Šajkić points out that he kept the bullet in the barrel all day, ready for everything, as well as on every occasion.

"When we were parting, I took that bullet out of the barrel and gave it to that British sergeant. He said to me: thank you very much, as a souvenir. I replied that the bullet had been his all day, and that I had better give it to you like this. , to part properly ", states Šajkić.

After several months in Kosovo and Metohija in the fight against Albanian terrorists, Šajkić and his comrades-in-arms had a hard time withstanding the withdrawal of the Yugoslav army.

We thought that we could do something else maybe, to stop them somewhere, to inflict at least some losses on them, but that was beyond our power and beyond the authority we had, adds Šajkić.

Today, Sasa Sajkic lives a quiet life. The photos remind him of the fight for the fatherland and the fallen comrades from the 72nd Special Brigade.

''Screw your optics, I'm going in'', American hero Robert Gregory Bowers

Thread