VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 6th, 2012 #1
alex revision

Default Sir Winston Churchill: Zionist hero

Sir Winston Churchill: Zionist hero

Jews hold strong views about the man honoured by a new statue in Jerusalem, says Catrina Stewart

Jewish supporters of Winston Churchill are to unveil a bust of the British wartime leader in Jerusalem this weekend in what they say is a long-overdue recognition of his staunch and unwavering support of the Jewish cause and their desire for a homeland.

“As a passionate Zionist all his life and a philo-semite, Churchill has been under-recognised,” says Anthony Rosenfelder, a trustee of the Jerusalem Foundation, which is behind the project to commemorate the British leader. He “combined a historical understanding of the Jewish people and what the promised land meant for Jews … with realpolitik”.

It is perhaps ironic that a statue of Churchill should stand just yards away from the King David Hotel, scene of a deadly Jewish terror attack on British military headquarters in 1946 that was to hasten the demise of mandate rule in Palestine.

Sir Winston Churchill: Zionist hero - Middle East - World - The Independent

Old January 13th, 2014 #2
alex revision

Marshall Stalin, your Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, and comrades gathered here.
I have now come to the end of a most strenuous, but at the same time most agreeable visit to Moscow. We have worked very hard. As I said last night, we have been a, we have been a council of workmen and soldiers, but the generous hospitality and cordial friendship with which we have been welcomed and sustained has left me, and my friend and colleague the Foreign Secretary Mr. Eden, with the most pleasant memories of these crowded and curious days. Most of all, has it been a pleasure to me, and an honour, to have so many long, intimate talks with my friend and war comrade Marshal Stalin, and to deal with a many difficult questions inseparable from the united forward march of great nations through the, through the many, through the many [sic] vicissitudes of war. I hope most earnestly and I believe with deep conviction that the warrior statesman at the head of Russia will not only lead the Russian peoples, all the people of Russia, through this, these years of storm, and tempest, into the sunlight of a broader and happier age for all. And that with him in this task will march the British Commonwealth of Nations and the mighty United States of America.
- Prime Minster Winston S. Churchill at the conclusion of the Tolstoy Conference in Moscow, October 19 [probably], 1944.
"There are less than 70,000,000 malignant Huns, some of whom are curable and others killable, most of whom are already engaged in holding down Austrians, Czechs, Poles and the many other ancient races they now bully and pillage. The people of the British Empire and of the United States number nearly 200,000,000 in their homelands and in the British Dominions alone. They possess the unchallengeable command of the ocean and will soon obtain decisive superiority in the air. They have more wealth, more technical resources and they make more steel than the whole of the rest of the world put together. They are determined that the cause of freedom shall not be trampled on nor the tide of world progress turned backward by the criminal dictators."
— Prime Minister Winston S. Churchill, radio broadcast to the Empire and the United States of America, April 27, 1941

http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/policy/1941/410427a.html

Thread