Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 9th, 2014 #4921
N.B. Forrest

"The man who does not exercise the first law of naturethat of self preservation is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Last edited by N.B. Forrest; August 9th, 2014 at 07:03 PM.

Old August 9th, 2014 #4922
N.B. Forrest

"The man who does not exercise the first law of naturethat of self preservation is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old August 9th, 2014 #4923
N.B. Forrest

Default Vincent by Don McLean

A true masterpiece:

Old August 9th, 2014 #4924
N.B. Forrest

Old August 9th, 2014 #4925
N.B. Forrest

Van Halen: proving that they were greatest, most ferocious rock band in the world right out of the stating gate:

Old August 10th, 2014 #4926
cillian

Old August 11th, 2014 #4927
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
A great Humble Pie tune there: I love sing-along choruses like that.
Pie also put out one of the best live albums ever: Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore. With cuts such as "Stone Cold Fever", "Walk On Gilded Splinters", "Rolling Stone" and "I Don't Need No Doctor", that fucker kicks some serious ass. But of course the best album ever produced was Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band's Live Bullet. With balls-out rockers and superb ballads such as "Travelin' Man", "Nutbush City Limits", "Turn The Page" (ever hear Metallica's rendition of that on Garage Inc.? Wow!), "Beautiful Loser", "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man", "Get Out Of Denver" and "Katmandu", well, what more is there to say? And runner-up to that would be the Who's Live at Leeds, with its catalogue of classics such as "Substitute", "Shakin' All Over", "My Generation", "Magic Bus", "I Can't Explain" and "Summertime Blues." Really great shit; all three albums.

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; August 11th, 2014 at 01:50 PM.

Old August 11th, 2014 #4928
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Van Halen: proving that they were greatest, most ferocious rock band in the world right out of the stating gate:

http://youtu.be/kzkXGIRaxcI
The first -- and IMO the best -- album of Van Halen's I bought; and, boy, was it ever money well spent. The short but searing shredder of a guitar solo/instrumental "Eruption", "Runnin' With The Devil", the killer copy of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me", "Jamie's Cryin' ", and the you-know-wtf-I-want-girl-so-don't-play-stupid-with-me stomper "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" are Van Halen at their hungriest. And anyone who professes to know rock 'n' roll at all will know that bands in that state, in their desperate breaking out mode, are at the best, the most creative point they'll ever be, no matter how successful they may be further on down the road. However, there's one big strike against Van Halen, one big traitorous fucking-over that forever dooms them to heavy rock hell as far as I'm concerned; and the one reason why I'll never buy another of their albums again: the shit-canning of original member and loyal, longtime "friend", bassist Michael Anthony.

When EVH's son Wolfgang came of age he wanted to ride daddy's coattails and become a member of one of the greatest hard rock bands ever. Now, being the one and only son of blueblooded rock royalty, and fortunate enough to have been born with a silver spoon in his mouth rather than one placed under his nostrils, all he had to do is say "when", and he was in. But there was just one small obstacle standing in the way of his becoming a permanent member of dad Ed's fearsome foursome: he was a fifth wheel; there was no room for him at all. Dad was both the band's lead and rythym guitarist; Alex, Ed's brother and Wolfie's uncle, was the band's drummer; and any one of half a dozen revolving door vocalists at any given time was its singer. So, what's a poor wannabe rock hero to do? I'll tell you how Eddie solved the problem for Junior...

Bassists and drummers are a dime a dozen in rock 'n' roll; they're the two easiest positions to fill, and no one's really going to know, or care, if either, or both, are replaced for whatever reason. Lead guitarist and lead singer are a whole 'nother matter, however; they are virtually irreplaceable and people will take notice if either of them decides to take a hike. They don't refer to them as "front men" for nothing, you know. So the easiest solution to the Wolfie-wants-in dilemma? Simple: shitcan Mikey-boy. And so they did just that. Know how the poor bastard received the news of his firing? Did Eddie and Alex have the balls to tell him to his face? If not, did they at least have the decency to give him a phone call and break the news to him that way? The answer's "fuck no" to either. Mike found out by checking the band's website -- that's how the cowards Van Halen informed Anthony that he was fired, gutless bastards that the Dutchmen are. And to my way of thinking that's totally unforgivable; no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; August 11th, 2014 at 01:47 PM.

Old August 11th, 2014 #4929
N.B. Forrest

Yeah, the shitcanning of Michael Anthony in favor of chunky Junior was a true disgrace. The reason bruited about was that Eddie was pissed that Anthony would play with Hagar in his off-time: a lame excuse, IMO.

Apparently EVH became a big asshole over the last 30 years, probably due to his boringly predictable booze & drug addictions. Those addictions also transformed him from a musical genius into a godawful hack. The last VH album I bought was 5150, the first with Hagar: the mushy ballads, the mail-it-in guitar playing.....the handwriting was on the wall, and it would never be erased.

Actually, I began to sense the disturbing indications of what was about to come with 1984: while some of the songs & solos were great, others were very mediocre (the inexplicably loved Panama, for example).

Old August 11th, 2014 #4930
Alexander M.

Default Fired Van Halen Bassist: "I Found Out on the Internet"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ernet-20070904

Old August 13th, 2014 #4933
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

And here's the best VH video clip (and sexiest, I might add; nevermind "Hot For Teacher") you'll ever see. It, "Poundcake", also just happens to be one of my favorite cuts by the band.

btw -- Best use of a power drill you'll ever see too.

Old August 16th, 2014 #4934
T.Garrett
Banned

Wink Doors Crystal Ship

"The Crystal Ship"

Before you slip into unconsciousness
I'd like to have another kiss
Another flashing chance at bliss
Another kiss, another kiss

The days are bright and filled with pain
Enclose me in your gentle rain
The time you ran was too insane
We'll meet again, we'll meet again

Oh tell me where your freedom lies
The streets are fields that never die
Deliver me from reasons why
You'd rather cry, I'd rather fly

The crystal ship is being filled
A thousand girls, a thousand thrills
A million ways to spend your time
When we get back, I'll drop a line

Never tire of this one ...

Cheers

Old August 22nd, 2014 #4937
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
The Doors - The Crystal Ship (2006 Remastered) - YouTube

"The Crystal Ship"

Before you slip into unconsciousness
I'd like to have another kiss
Another flashing chance at bliss
Another kiss, another kiss

The days are bright and filled with pain
Enclose me in your gentle rain
The time you ran was too insane
We'll meet again, we'll meet again

Oh tell me where your freedom lies
The streets are fields that never die
Deliver me from reasons why
You'd rather cry, I'd rather fly

The crystal ship is being filled
A thousand girls, a thousand thrills
A million ways to spend your time
When we get back, I'll drop a line

Never tire of this one ...

Cheers
Never was that big a Doors fan, TG (not guitar-heavy enough for an old Ledhead such as myself), but Morrison did come up with some strange, and at times beautiful lyrics now and then; there's no arguing that. And anyone who's seen Apocalypse Now (who hasn't?) will remember these creepy, apocalyptic opening lyrics from the "The End":

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes, again...

and these that you don't hear further on along in the song; and which are spoken, not sung:

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall

He went into the room where his sister lived, and then he
He paid a visit to his brother, and then he
He walked on down the hall, and then he
He came to a door, and he looked inside
"Father", "Yes, Son", "I want to kill you"
"Mother, I want to fuck you"...

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; August 22nd, 2014 at 11:52 AM.

Tags
music

Thread