Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 29th, 2016 #1
steven clark

Default Movie review Hacksaw Ridge

Hacksaw Ridge is Mel Gibson'd latest film dealing with WWII Medal of Honor winner Desmond T. Doss, a medic who, being a Seventh Day Adventist, refused to bear arms, and after taking harassment for it and almost being kicked out of the army, went on to Okinawa where he rescued dozens of GIs in the horrible battle of Hacksaw Ridge.

The film spends the first part depicting Dodd's life in the south, and his romance of a nurse. also, he has a dark secret in that his father was alcoholic and violent, and Dodd had to threaten violence to save his mother.

All of this is well described, and although many think it too long, it gives a balance to Dodd's life and his faith. Also, I like the way the period was recreated. Clothes, haircuts, etc. everyone is very real. Also, I like the way southerners are shown as rounded people and not just hicks. It's a world where serving your country and believing in God is taken seriously, and the romance, while to us might seem cornball, was pretty much how people of that world did things.

The battle scenes are very gory…a Gibson trademark, but if you read All Quiet on the Western Front, you shouldn't be surprised. It's bloody, disgustingly gory, rats eat corpses, and the Japs are animals. It's war, all right, and very well done. Dodd engages in a superhuman effort to save GIs when his unit retreated, and by hauling them down a cliff. It's all very impressive.
The cast is mostly Australian, as it was in an earlier movie, The Great Raid. Maybe we've run out of white actors to portray GIs. Andrew Garfield is a superb Doss, Sam Worthington as Captain Glover is also good, and Hugo Weaving, Doss's father, is strong and compelling as a man who drinks, is angry, but also will go to bat for his son.
The film ends with real footage of Doss talking about the battle, made a few years before he died, and this ads to the film's strength.
and yes, the film is nigger free.
The night I was there the audience applauded the end. it's strong and compelling.

Old November 29th, 2016 #2
Crowe

I thought the movie was shit. Buddy of mine gave me a pirated copy of it (Low quality cam in a movie theater), but it was watchable.

It's basically about a christ-tarded pacifist. He went into boot camp and got laughed at, bullied, ostracized for being too big of a pussy to take a gun and fight like any other man would.

The whole movie is basically a christ-tard + patriotard "feel good" story. And that's more or less what I expected it would be prior to watching it. The first half of the movie, before the actual battle scenes is incredibly boring, and I honestly skipped a decent part of it. If I went to an actual movie theater, I would have walked out. It was that bad.

The moral of the entire story is you can still be a christ-tarded pacifist and still be a "hero". Eh, whatever.

It's not one of Mel's best movies, it's one of his worst IMO.

Old November 30th, 2016 #3
Ray Allan

The last Mel Gibson film I saw was Braveheart. I don't plan on seeing this one, at least not if I have to pay for it. I'm sick of World War Jew movies, especially ones about Americans.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old November 30th, 2016 #4
steven clark

Default Reply to comments about Hacksaw Ridge

I don't consider it a feel good story. It is what happened, and Doss did a heroic thing. As for his being a Christ tarded pacifist, he had his beliefs, but he also wanted to serve. This is a southern tradition.
The movie reminded me of the Faulkner story Two Soldiers, where a young boy wants to serve with his brother, even if he has to chop wood and haul water, and pulled a knife on a sergeant who tried to kick him out of an army camp. The film reflects a southerner's devotion to duty and serving. You don't have to like it, and Linder has made many observations about southern character in this regard, but it is there and Gibson depicted it.
Doss was very brave and saved many lives. I think if this had been about the Wehrmacht and Doss was German, you would have liked it, and of course there were men like Doss in the Wehrmacht and SS.
I'm Christian, and I didn't see it was a rah-rah for simple faith. There were complexities, although if you have a strong belief (Christianity or WN), things are simple. You do your duty to your people, country, and race, and that settles it.

As for Ray's comments, I understand them. I'm tired of WWII movies. I wouldn't see Saving Private Ryan, even as my brother almost locked me in a room to see it. I didn't watch Fury, or the usual spy stuff. I did like Europa Europa, although it was about a Jew passing as a gentile, because it showed a side of the war people normally don't see, and the Germans weren't all one-dimensional. I did watch HBO's The Pacific, and I'm more inclined to see things about the US/ Japan war. It's free from the Jew angle, and the war was more a clash of two master races deciding who was going to rule…us or the Japanese. Take away the war of our 'civilization' and their 'savagery', and you have a simple battle for king of the hill. This applies to most wars.
I thought Hacksaw Ridge was well-done. I think of Gibson's The Patriot, which I thought was more self-serving and PC than this film, and oozed with historical inaccuracy and feel-good stuff about blacks.

Old November 30th, 2016 #5
Crowe

Steven Clark, where is your evidence there were men who refused to fight Germany's enemies in the SS? Pacifists got thrown into the camps along with fags and kikes, or were strung up along with traitors as cowards.

You're correct about one thing, I can't personally identify with this movie. The willingness to serve the government regardless of what they do isn't a noble trait among Americans. That's what a lot of us call "patriotarded". The USA is by far the most warfaring Nation in the last several hundred years. Probably since Imperial Rome. Nothing good comes out of the USA fighting it's wars, nor people signing up to fight them on a whim. It's different when Germany does it. Because they were defending themselves from invaders, and fighting for their people. Americans were signing up to fight and die for global jewry in overseas wars.

Last edited by Crowe; November 30th, 2016 at 07:10 PM.

Thread