VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 28th, 2007 #61
SidW UK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
Here is what i was talking about Sid. American beers for the most part suck, Sierra Nevada is pretty good though.
Damn it! Looks like I'll have to stick to imported beer, and Jack Daniels.

Mind you, there is every chance that my vacation will be cancelled or postponed. Strike action by our wonderful and greedy 1970's style unions is set to close all the major airports here next month.

Old January 19th, 2008 #62
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
I agree. I usually drink Guinness or Bass Ale if I'm drinking beer. But I live in a rural area of Mississippi and the good stuff isn't always available.

GREL

I like most of the Sam Adams line of beers. I think I reviewed their Pale Ale a while back. The Boston Lager is quite nice.

There are much better beers available in every style they offer to be sure, but Samuel Adams is usually a safe bet if it's down to that or Bud Lite.

Old January 19th, 2008 #63
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
Here is what i was talking about Sid. American beers for the most part suck, Sierra Nevada is pretty good though.

I'm having a Sierra Nevada Pale ale right this moment. There is a review of it somewhere on this thread (I think).

Sierra Nevada is good beer.

Old January 19th, 2008 #64
Ed Keiser
Agitator Of Muds

Augusteiner Brau is by far the best German beer, the only kind I drink. It costs $35.00 plus tax and is well worth the price. I first had it while stationed in the Fatherland and have been drinking it for over 20 years now. It goes well with many kinds of food or all by itself. If you have the money to spare you can't go wrong.

Old January 20th, 2008 #65
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Keiser View Post
Augusteiner Brau is by far the best German beer, the only kind I drink. It costs $35.00 plus tax and is well worth the price. I first had it while stationed in the Fatherland and have been drinking it for over 20 years now. It goes well with many kinds of food or all by itself. If you have the money to spare you can't go wrong.

Never heard of that one.

When I drink German beer, which isn't very often since most offered locally are lagers and I'm an ale guy, I drink St. Pauli Girl or Paulaner.

I assume Augusteiner Brau is a lager or pilsner?

Old January 20th, 2008 #66
yankee jane
Mene, Mene, Tekel Upharsin

Default Questions for you beer experts ...

I am not a beer drinker. Tried it many, many years ago. My main reaction was that I did not like all that gassy regurgitation effect (drank part of one beer and had beer with me all day... ). I did once have a dark German beer in a restaurant and it had pretty good flavor and body. I have never bothered buying or checking out beer further because there are so many different types and brands I would have no idea where to start - and it seems to be worse today. I walk into the market and the beer aisle is staggering! I really don't want to buy six pack after six pack trying different beers I will end up not liking.

Can someone provide a brief description of just what the difference is between ales, lagers, pilsners, etc. and what brands you think are the best? You've all listed different brands here but it is like the market ... a very long list indeed. Where to start????

Thanks for any suggestions and info!

Old January 20th, 2008 #67
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee jane View Post
I am not a beer drinker. Tried it many, many years ago. My main reaction was that I did not like all that gassy regurgitation effect (drank part of one beer and had beer with me all day... ). I did once have a dark German beer in a restaurant and it had pretty good flavor and body. I have never bothered buying or checking out beer further because there are so many different types and brands I would have no idea where to start - and it seems to be worse today. I walk into the market and the beer aisle is staggering! I really don't want to buy six pack after six pack trying different beers I will end up not liking.

Can someone provide a brief description of just what the difference is between ales, lagers, pilsners, etc. and what brands you think are the best? You've all listed different brands here but it is like the market ... a very long list indeed. Where to start????

Thanks for any suggestions and info!

Glad to. A lot of the better beers are "bottle conditioned", which means they carbonate naturally in the bottle. A whole lot less "gassy" as you described. Most mass produced beer has the Co2 injected.

All ale is beer, but not all beer is ale. Read that again...lol.

Ale is brewed with top-fermenting yeast, and at warmer temps. Lager (Pilsner is a form of lager) is brewed with bottom-fermenting yeast. Just do a search on "ale vs lager" and you will have more information that you will ever need.

As for what is best, it depends on what you like. Some beer is very "hoppy" or bitter, some is malty.

Ale can be an acquired taste, so I would suggest starting with lagers/pilsners.

A good lager? Sam Adams is decent beer, and widely available. Summit makes an excellent lager, as does Goose Island. Pilsner Urquell is probably the premier pils available.

Lots of breweries put out a "sample pack" with several different styles in one sixer or twelve. Easy way to try several beers/styles without buying a sixer of everything.

Beer is much, much more than Budweiser and Miller Lite.

Enjoy the trip.

Old January 20th, 2008 #68
yankee jane
Mene, Mene, Tekel Upharsin

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out online and see what is available in the stores, especially in a sampler pack. Will give it a try.

Old January 20th, 2008 #69
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Out here on the west coast there is a chain of bar/restaurants called "The Yard House" The one near me has about 100 beers on tap. At one time they offered a sampler. 3 or 6 glasses of different beers in small tumbler type glasses.

This gave the ability to taste many different beers with out huge waste/drunkenness.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old January 20th, 2008 #70
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee jane View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll check that out online and see what is available in the stores, especially in a sampler pack. Will give it a try.
Supposedly beer can make women more attractive. They actually did studies on this and found it to be true.

Old January 21st, 2008 #71
Mike Parker

Like being in Munich, well almost:

Can gimmick:

Old January 31st, 2008 #72
Ty Grant

Default Re: Beer review

I have a feeling Micro breweries will come to be the norm in the U. S. and the world...

Old December 13th, 2008 #73
Moose

Recently tried a beer called Smithwicks. It's made by Guinness. I kind of ruined the virgin experience of it as I had been drinking domestic all night, but I loved it. Had to be the smoothest beer I've ever tried. I've made it my "go-to-beer" for the foreseeable future.

I'm no beer connoisseur, so I can't really analyze the nuances of it, but the taste of hops and malt seemed so balanced as to almost cancel each other out. I'm not sure quite how else to put it. It was interesting to me anyway, as one who is just now expanding his horizons beyond just the usual crap. Also not one to really care about the color of beer, but I did enjoy the dark copper look of it. Looks like ice tea with froth.

Old December 19th, 2008 #74
Bwana
Secessionist

My favorite beer is Paulaner(correct spelling), it's described as a "wheat beer" (lager I suppose).

It's 5 0/0 alcohol and tastes really good to me.

Old January 2nd, 2009 #75
bmwbiker
......................... .

this is my favorite bieer:

and now i presents to you best Croatian black beer:

King Tomislav Rex Croatorum - beer what is made to be strongest, best black beer in the world - i never asked for 5. pinch, it is so strong...

Old January 2nd, 2009 #76
A.P.H.

my favs. are velebitsko tamno, tomislav, guinness and harp...

Old January 3rd, 2009 #77
bmwbiker
......................... .

that is party!!!

Old January 3rd, 2009 #78
William Hyde
Someday Never Comes

Thumbs up

I like my beer like I like my women - smooth and pure with exquisite taste!

If you haven't tried Warsteiner Dunkel you're not living! Select roasted barley malts, brewed the same way since 1753 and in accordance with the German Beer Purity Law of 1516.

Old January 4th, 2009 #79
albion

Old January 5th, 2009 #80
Ty Grant

Default Grow Hops??

I fell in love with the idea of brewing beer some 8 years ago… this thread is great and Donnie great writing… Just recently cancelled my subscription for beer of the month www.BeerMonthClub.com
I truly had no option… yet I am delighted by the selection of beers sent and they had this little piece of paper where they would outline the different brew's that were sent. I would grab a unique cold one and read the description of the beer and really have a good time. I believe that is the true responsible way to drink… well okay there are other reasons as well but to think that I didn’t have a formaldehyde watered down bud in my hand made it even better. And to this day, since I started brewing, I have set my sights on opening a brew pub. But first thing first. By this I mean that I must start growing hops. And when spring hits I will try my hand at it for the first time.. I think I’m a hop junkie too, who isn’t? When it comes to enjoying nature, the legal way, then a simple cascade hop starter kit can really bring a family together.

Tags
beer, small breweries

Thread