Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 3rd, 2021 #1
Dawn Cannon

Default The danger of sunspots that don't face earth

Big sunspot AR2860 is about to disappear over the sun's western limb. This makes it uniquely dangerous. Scroll past this image of the departing sunspot taken by Romanian astronomer Maximilian Teodorescu to find out why:

Sunspots located near the sun's western limb are magnetically connected to Earth. The sun's magnetic field spirals around like a lawn sprinker--a shape known as the "Parker spiral." Look at this diagram. Lines of magnetic force coming out of the western limb curve around and touch our planet.

If there is an eruption today while AR2860 is passing through this danger zone, the debris will be funneled back to Earth. The resulting radiation storm could pepper satellites with high-energy protons, fogging cameras and causing reboots of onboard electronics. At such times, shortwave radio propagation can become difficult to impossible. During extreme storms, passengers and crew in commercial aircraft may be exposed to radiation.

https://www.spaceweather.com/

Old September 3rd, 2021 #2
Ray Allan

We wouldn't be so lucky that this would fry all those hundreds of Starlink satellites SpaceX has been launching, would we? All electronics on spacecraft are hardened against radiation but given powerful enough sunspots, solar flares/coronal mass ejections, even these would be overcome in addition to disrupting Earth-bound systems.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old September 3rd, 2021 #3
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
We wouldn't be so lucky that this would fry all those hundreds of Starlink satellites SpaceX has been launching, would we? All electronics on spacecraft are hardened against radiation but given powerful enough sunspots, solar flares/coronal mass ejections, even these would be overcome in addition to disrupting Earth-bound systems.
Starlink is how SpaceX is funding its Mars colonization plans. No Starlink, no Mars colony.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old September 4th, 2021 #4
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
Starlink is how SpaceX is funding its Mars colonization plans. No Starlink, no Mars colony.
Well, so be it, then. Do you like the idea of thousands of those damn things up there tracking your every move? A brainwashed, microchipped, Covid gene-altering genocidal drug-injected, brown-skinned planet of the jew's slaves is too high a price for any Mars colony. Does Elon Musk want Mars to be filled with a garbage population like that, too? I would rather have Dawn Cannon's solar micronova happen than see two Planets of the Jews.

Last edited by Ray Allan; September 4th, 2021 at 02:36 AM.

Old September 4th, 2021 #5
T.Garrett
Banned

Question colonization of the solar system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
Moon and Mars colonies are not serious prospects according to this interpretation of data on the longterm effects of GCRs ...Galactic Cosmic Rays ...on human brain tissue.

Quote:
Let's Colonize Titan

Saturn's largest moon might be the only place beyond Earth where humans could live

By Charles Wohlforth, Amanda R. Hendrix on November 25, 2016

Composite infrared image of Saturn's moon Titan from NASA's Cassini spacecraft. Credit: NASA, JPL, University of Arizona and University of Idaho

The idea of a human colony on Titan, a moon of Saturn, might sound crazy. Its temperature hovers at nearly 300° below zero Fahrenheit, and its skies rain methane and ethane that flow into hydrocarbon seas. Nevertheless, Titan could be the only place in the solar system where it makes sense to build a permanent, self-sufficient human settlement.

We reached this conclusion after looking at the planets in a new way: ecologically. We considered the habitat that human beings need and searched for those conditions in our celestial neighborhood.

Our colonization scenario, based on science, technology, politics and culture, presents a thought experiment for anyone who wants to think about the species’ distant future.

We expect human nature to stay the same. Human beings of the future will have the same drives and needs we have now. Practically speaking, their home must have abundant energy, livable temperatures and protection from the rigors of space, including cosmic radiation, which new research suggests is unavoidably dangerous for biological beings like us.

Up to now, most researchers have looked at the Moon or Mars as the next step for human habitation. These destinations have the dual advantages of proximity and of not being clearly unrealistic as choices for where we should go. That second characteristic is lacking at the other bodies near us in the inner solar system, Mercury and Venus.

Mercury is too close to the sun, with temperature extremes and other physical conditions that seem hardly survivable. Venus’s atmosphere is poisonous, crushingly heavy and furnace-hot, due to a run-away greenhouse effect. It might be possible to live suspended by balloons high in Venus’s atmosphere, but we can’t see how such a habitation would ever be self-sustaining.

But although the Moon and Mars look like comparatively reasonable destinations, they also have a deal-breaking problem. Neither is protected by a magnetosphere or atmosphere. Galactic Cosmic Rays, the energetic particles from distant supernovae, bombard the surfaces of the Moon and Mars, and people can’t live long-term under the assault of GCRs.

The cancer-causing potential of this powerful radiation has long been known, although it remains poorly quantified. But research in the last two years has added a potentially more serious hazard: brain damage. GCRs include particles such as iron nuclei traveling at close to the speed of light that destroy brain tissue.

Exposing mice to this radiation at levels similar to those found in space caused brain damage and loss of cognitive abilities, according to a study published last year by Vipan K. Parihar and colleagues in Science Advances. That research suggests we aren’t ready to send astronauts to Mars for a visit, much less to live there.

On Earth, we are shielded from GCRs by water in the atmosphere. But it takes two meters of water to block half of the GCRs present in unprotected space. Practically, a Moon or Mars settlement would have to be built underground to be safe from this radiation.

Underground shelter is hard to build and not flexible or easy to expand.

Settlers would need enormous excavations for room to supply all their needs for food, manufacturing and daily life. We ask why they would go to that trouble. We can live underground on Earth. What’s the advantage to doing so on Mars?

Beyond Mars, the next potential home is among the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. There are dozens of choices among them, but the winner is obvious. Titan is the most Earthlike body other than our original home.

Titan is the only other body in the solar system with liquid on the surface, with its lakes of methane and ethane that look startlingly like water bodies on Earth. It rains methane on Titan, occasionally filling swamps. Dunes of solid hydrocarbons look remarkably like Earth’s sand dunes.

For protection from radiation, Titan has a nitrogen atmosphere 50 percent thicker than Earth’s. Saturn’s magnetosphere also provides shelter. On the surface, vast quantities of hydrocarbons in solid and liquid form lie ready to be used for energy. Although the atmosphere lacks oxygen, water ice just below the surface could be used to provide oxygen for breathing and to combust hydrocarbons as fuel.

It’s cold on Titan, at -180°C (-291°F), but thanks to its thick atmosphere, residents wouldn’t need pressure suits—just warm clothing and respirators. Housing could be made of plastic produced from the unlimited resources harvested on the surface, and could consist of domes inflated by warm oxygen and nitrogen. The ease of construction would allow huge indoor spaces.

Titanians (as we call them) wouldn’t have to spend all their time inside.

The recreational opportunities on Titan are unique. For example, you could fly. The weak gravity—similar to the Moon’s—combined with the thick atmosphere would allow individuals to aviate with wings on their backs. If the wings fall off, no worry, landing will be easy. Terminal velocity on Titan is a tenth that found on the Earth.

How will we get there? Currently, we can’t. Unfortunately, we probably can’t get to Mars safely, either, without faster propulsion to limit the time in space and associated GCR dosage before astronauts are unduly harmed. We will need faster propulsion to Mars or Titan. For Titan, much faster, as the trip currently takes seven years.

There is no quick way to move off the Earth. We will have to solve our problems here. But if our species continues to invest in the pure science of space exploration and the stretch technology needed to preserve human health in space, people will eventually live on Titan.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...olonize-titan/

Last edited by T.Garrett; September 4th, 2021 at 03:03 AM.

Old September 4th, 2021 #6
Dawn Cannon

Quote:
I would rather have Dawn Cannon's solar micronova happen than see two Planets of the Jews.
Exactly Ray, you have understood it exactly.

I must change that sig. In reality the sun just novas, but I thought if I wrote "nova" then people would imagine the sun going supernova, and not the coming cyclic event.

Old September 4th, 2021 #7
Dawn Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
Moon and Mars colonies are not serious prospects according to this interpretation of data on the longterm effects of GCRs ...Galactic Cosmic Rays ...on human brain tissue.

Quote:
Cosmic Rays in the Atmosphere

PACE WEATHER BALLOON DATA: Almost once a week, Spaceweather.com and the students of Earth to Sky Calculus fly space weather balloons to the stratosphere over California. These balloons are equipped with sensors that detect secondary cosmic rays, a form of radiation from space that can penetrate all the way down to Earth's surface. Our monitoring program has been underway without interruption for 6 years, resulting in a unique dataset of in situ atmospheric measurements.

Latest results: Our most recent flight on June 25, 2021, confirms a trend of decreasing cosmic radiation:

Cosmic ray dose rates peaked in late 2019, and have been slowly declining ever since. This makes perfect sense. Solar Minimum was in late 2019. During Solar Minimum the sun's magnetic field weakens, allowing more cosmic rays into the solar system. We expect dose rate to be highest at that time.

Now that Solar Minimum has passed, the sun is waking up again. Solar magnetic fields are strengthening, providing a stiffer barrier to cosmic rays trying to enter the solar system. The decline of cosmic radiation above California is a sign that new Solar Cycle 25 is gaining strength.

.Who cares? Cosmic rays are a surprisingly "down to Earth" form of space weather. They can seed clouds, trigger lightning, and penetrate commercial airplanes. According to a study from the Harvard T.H. Chan school of public health, crews of aircraft have higher rates of cancer than the general population. The researchers listed cosmic rays, irregular sleep habits, and chemical contaminants as leading risk factors. Somewhat more controversial studies (#1, #2, #3, #4) link cosmic rays with cardiac arrhythmias and sudden cardiac death.
As the sun fired up again, the website only just recently dropped its "cosmic ray flight chart".

I wonder what excuse there is for leaving people in the ISS when there was no protection against cosmic rays, however, now the magnetic force is "working" again, it can pull potential disappeared cme debris back. That's immense.

Old September 4th, 2021 #8
T.Garrett
Banned

Cool sun spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Cannon View Post
Big sunspot AR2860 is about to disappear over the sun's western limb. This makes it uniquely dangerous. Scroll past this image of the departing sunspot taken by Romanian astronomer Maximilian Teodorescu to find out why:

Sunspots located near the sun's western limb are magnetically connected to Earth. The sun's magnetic field spirals around like a lawn sprinker--a shape known as the "Parker spiral." Look at this diagram. Lines of magnetic force coming out of the western limb curve around and touch our planet.

If there is an eruption today while AR2860 is passing through this danger zone, the debris will be funneled back to Earth. The resulting radiation storm could pepper satellites with high-energy protons, fogging cameras and causing reboots of onboard electronics. At such times, shortwave radio propagation can become difficult to impossible. During extreme storms, passengers and crew in commercial aircraft may be exposed to radiation.

I have noticed the increased solar activity, there are a few really bright regions rotating into earth's 'strike zone'.

One of my expensive and pointless hobbies is amateur radio ... well its not really amateur I have a professional recording studio and a decent assortment of state of the art communications equipment connected to a rather large antenna farm including a satellite ground station. Mostly designed and built by yours truly.

I'm not joking, I get visits from the FCC and FAA on occasion and my visitors always have that gob smacked look on their faces as they depart after one of their inspections of my operation. The neighbors think I'm a commercial radio/teevee station, the cable company, the CIA ...its good to keep em guessing eh?

My HF (shortwave) operations are intimately connected to the Sun's interaction with the ionosphere (among other variables) and if something were suddenly amiss with our Sun I would be one of the first on the ground to know. As expected, conditions have been slowly improving over all for long distance communications since the solar minimum between cycles 24 and 25 in late 2019 when the smoothed sunspot number fell to close to the all time low of 1.8.

Solar cycle 25 isn't expected to set records but radio propagation has been a bit better with all the recent solar activity on earth's day side, last week I talked with some folks down in south america that i haven't heard from in awhile on 6 meter (50 -54 Mhz) ssb but cycle 25s sunspot peak is only expected to be 115 in summer 2025 well below the 180 peak average we have seen since records of the numbers have been kept.

I dont feel that we are in any danger from the sun at present, but I'm not a scientist studying solar activity so who knows.

Here's a site I use which includes a solar flare monitor at the bottom of the page

http://www.hamqsl.com/solar3.html#addwebsite

Old September 4th, 2021 #9
T.Garrett
Banned

Post ISS radiation exposure

Quote:
As the sun fired up again, the website only just recently dropped its "cosmic ray flight chart".

I wonder what excuse there is for leaving people in the ISS when there was no protection against cosmic rays, however, now the magnetic force is "working" again, it can pull potential disappeared cme debris back. That's immense.

Maybe the ISS being in low earth orbit (LEO) just above our atmosphere inside the Van Allen belts affords it protection from cosmic rays, and riding in a space station for a limited time where you eventually will return to earth is quite a different scenario than traveling to deep space to colonize another world and not return home ...I'll have to research it more.

Old September 4th, 2021 #10
Dawn Cannon

Quote:
One of my expensive and pointless hobbies is amateur radio
You never cease to be amazing, Garrett. HAM radio is one of those things I always wanted to get around to doing but never have.

Yes, 25 is likely to be another quiet cycle. I'm interested if there is a link between X class cme's and big earthquakes or is it something else.

Very interesting website, thankyou.

Old September 4th, 2021 #11
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Do you like the idea of thousands of those damn things up there tracking your every move?
How would they track my every move?

Quote:

They're definitely a serious threat. That's why I think that a Mars colony would have to be underground, in lava tubes, or otherwise heavily shielded.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old September 5th, 2021 #12
T.Garrett
Banned

Talking You are very kind

Quote:
You never cease to be amazing, Garrett. HAM radio is one of those things I always wanted to get around to doing but never have.

Yes, 25 is likely to be another quiet cycle. I'm interested if there is a link between X class cme's and big earthquakes or is it something else.

Very interesting website, thankyou.
Thank you for saying so, but I'm really not so amazing Dawn.

I've been firing up the HF ray-di-os lately in response to the increasing solar flux related to the beginning of cycle 25 which now stands in the low 80's. Ill take what I can get from nature but when all else fails there's always the satellites with their unique technical challenges including interference from government agencies ...I'm a bit of a tech pirate and get my jollies at the gubbermints expense occasionally (and hence the visits from officials).

Sure there's a possibility that geologic activity on earth is influenced by intense solar activity but how can scientists quantify it in the mix with all the other stuff driving quakes right here on earth, and what about the influence of our moon ...maybe science will have an answer for you soon if Nasa can get some of the solar related projects it has in the pipeline 'off the ground' $orta $peak

Old September 5th, 2021 #13
Ray Allan

Quote:
How would they track my every move?
The purpose of Starlink is for internet use, right? Smartphones have GPS built into them, too. It will make mass surveillance that much more easier than existing tech, it seems obvious to me, at least. Combined with that hideously creepy Neuralink brain microchipping Musk is touting, and it sounds like a goddamned nightmare. It's why I don't use those phones, and neither do you, I believe. But they are selling this stuff to Millennial idiots and other lemmings for the supposed convenience, not cantankerous old guys like us.

Old September 5th, 2021 #14
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
The purpose of Starlink is for internet use, right? Smartphones have GPS built into them, too. It will make mass surveillance that much more easier than existing tech, it seems obvious to me, at least. Combined with that hideously creepy Neuralink brain microchipping Musk is touting, and it sounds like a goddamned nightmare. It's why I don't use those phones, and neither do you, I believe. But they are selling this stuff to Millennial idiots and other lemmings for the supposed convenience, not cantankerous old guys like us.
They can already track people using the GPS on their cell phones, so I don't see how this changes that. I do agree with you about Neuralink, though. That's downright creepy.

Old September 5th, 2021 #15
Dawn Cannon

Quote:
The purpose of Starlink is for internet use, right? Smartphones have GPS built inIt's why I don't use those phones, and neither do you, I believe. But they are selling this stuff to Millennial idiots and other lemmings for the supposed convenience, not cantankerous old guys like us.
It's so curious and tragic. The mobile phones are what they (the non-racially conscious ones) base their whole intelligence level on. I spoke to one (of non-Germanic origin) when he was 20, and speaking for his whole demographic he said, "We don't understand why all the people who came before us have not been clever enough to invent a mobile phone."

I was aghast. I said, But it was WE, OUR GENERATION, who made the bloody things! And an achievement it was not!"

I went on to try to explain that computers were only fun when it was Windows '95 and you had more control over the innards of the bloody things, but computers and phones are now about pushing buttons. (hardly Garrett's radio set up, is it)

Strangely over the years, he has come more around to my way of thinking, for example, at one time he was dying to be chipped.

Old September 12th, 2021 #16
Hugo Böse
Jeunesse Dorée

According to these videos Starlink only has one advantage over existing satellite internet services, it has shorter latency, signals send and receive with less delay, because they are closer to earth, which is good for gamers but for everybody else not that useful. If I remember correctly, in the videos they also said that Starlink is not even faster and neither is it cheaper, it´s another one of those things where Musk oversold and underdelivered.

The intention is to launch 12 thousand of the things.

I´ve seen them, a little while after sunset, rows of them, look for moving lights that don´t blink.

Last edited by Hugo Böse; September 14th, 2021 at 04:49 PM.

Old September 14th, 2021 #17
Dawn Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Böse View Post
According these videos Starlink only has one advantage over existing satellite internet services, it has shorter latency, signals send and receive with less delay, because they are closer to earth, which is good for gamers but for everybody else not that useful. If I remember correctly, in the videos they also said that Starlink is not even faster and neither is it cheaper, it´s another one of those things where Musk oversold and underdelivered.

The intention is to launch 12 thousand of the things.
42 thousand.

Really good info, thanks.

Well, the useless things only last 3 - 4 years, should have guessed.

Tags
cosmic rays, parker spiral, sunspots

Thread