VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 5th, 2011 #1781
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
99% of the public never heard of Ed Steele. Before the case or after. The case didn't change the public perception. Because there is no public perception.
LOL

You don't get must more blatant than that. Fuck you, too.

Old June 5th, 2011 #1782
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
LOL

You don't get must more blatant than that. Fuck you, too.
You don't actually think I'm wrong do you?

Old June 5th, 2011 #1783
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Steele's Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
You don't actually think I'm wrong do you?
There are about 223,000 Nazis on Stormfront, including lurking Jews. I say that half of them have never heard of Steele. The management there closed the Steele thread over 6 months ago, for unknown reasons. If memory serves, Steele's list was about 2,000 recipients. There are a bit more than 6,000 Nazis on VNN forum right now. Steele habitually harvested email addresses in the old days when Linder published all letters on VNN.

His list is relatively tiny, although it contained most of the top Nazis in the country. When it comes to so called White Nationalist leaders, Steele is a bit player, at least when it comes to numbers. He was not worth the government's effort to frame him. This is not to diminish his work. His was a Cadillac list, not a Ford list.

Old June 6th, 2011 #1784
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Steele Poll Posted

Everyone should take the poll on Steele which is posted at http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=128676 .

Old June 6th, 2011 #1785
Ilse Fredriksen

Donald,

Did something happen to you personally to be so obsessed about this case?

Old June 6th, 2011 #1786
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Case Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilse Fredriksen View Post
Donald,

Did something happen to you personally to be so obsessed about this case?
I want to see Steele released in spite of the fact that he is a full blooded lawyer.

Old June 6th, 2011 #1787
Susan

I'll just say this and leave it at that: Cardiac events are huge shocks to the system. I have seen this firsthand with my father.

My father, who was an extremely smart and educated man had a triple bypass at the age of 50. He did not suffer a heart attack first, as his doctor referred him to testing after my father experienced chest pain.

Not long after that, within a few years, my mother began to notice that his memory was failing in small ways. His personality and temperament also changed somewhat, again in small ways. Only those of us who lived with him could see the subtle changes, as they were only evident when you were around him on a prolonged basis. He was able to "hold it together" for short spurts around other people.

Of course, we took him to see a neurologist who told us that he was most likely suffering from early alzheimer's. Dementia was on his side of the family. We had seen this in my grandmother when she was in her late seventies and early eighties, even before she had a series of strokes.

By the time my father was 60, he was completely incapable of remembering anything beyond a few seconds after someone told him something. He had been the Chairman of an Academic Department at a major southern university since 1973, and before that his academic career was pristine.

His office at the university was a mess and he was no longer able to run the department and the situation was dire. He retired soon thereafter. We assumed that for years people in his department had been telling him things that he turned around and promptly forgot.

My uncle and his oldest son are doctors. My cousin is a neurologist and a few years ago he told me that the cardiac event most likely triggered the early dementia in my father, because he has been the only family member so far who has succumbed to this dementia before very old age. He had always been a very bright accomplished admired man.

My cousin said that undergoing cardiac surgery is just a huge shock to one's system. I'm not saying that this happened here with Steele, but it wouldn't be the first time someone's personality changed after cardiac surgery.

I am not prone to conspiracy theories, but I know that my government holds me in complete contempt because of my beliefs. What they would actually do to silence me is unknown. But I know that the one time I have come up against my government the DA wanted my head on a platter. I am not paranoid, but I no longer have a computer at my home. Therefore, planting evidence on my computer is not a possibility.

We all need to be careful in our personal lives. Whether or not it is true, we must always assume that no one is on our side. Don't give the government a chance or reason to lock you away.

Old June 6th, 2011 #1788
Contumacyman

Default Miscarraige of justice (destruction of evidence)

It has been argued, by defenders of the FBI's practice of erasing original minidiscs and misidentifying original recorders, that since modern digital recorders and media are lossless, then any copy is identical to the original and nothing is to be gained by preserving both the original device and media.

The FBI contended, on the witness stand, that the PC copy of the original minidisc was "considered" to be the original, since it was a lossless, and therefore identical, copy of the original. Therefore, there was no need to preserve the original minidisc, which was erased to be reused.

This allows the prosecutors, or outside agents "friendly" to the prosecutors (read - the ADL), to fabricate a compiled wave file in which anyone can be heard to say anything, and then have the agent merely testify that this fabricated PC copy was a downloaded lossless copy of an original minidisc recorded stealthily in real time. There would be no ostensible way to refute this claim, since, it is widely proclaimed that digital copies are identical to originals.

Hogwash!

There is a standard used in all recorders that tie a particular physical CD to the original recording device that burned data onto it. Please refer to:

Optical_disc_drive Optical_disc_drive

and read at the bottom of that webpage about the RID (Recorder ID) and how each and every CD burned is tied to the particular device which created it.

The prosecution, in Ed's case, claim that a snitch, Fairfax, carried a concealed recording device on his person and the criminal conversation was recorded onto a minidisc within that recording device. This claim by the prosecution, and snitch, could be VERIFIED, or DISPROVED, provided they would have preserved, under an irrefutably documented chain of custody, the original device and media. The defense audio experts could have determined FOR A FACT whether or not this original minidisc was, or was not, burned by that original device.

If this had been done, and if the defense experts concluded that the original minidisc was indeed burned by the original device, and if the chain of custody was irrefutable (including seals and outside witnesses to evidence storage), then no one, even Steele's friends, would be able to doubt that the criminal conversation actually took place.

But, if the defense experts could show that portions of the alleged original minidisc were NOT burned by the alleged original recorder, then the entire recorded event would have to be disallowed as evidence, because this recording could only be valid if it had been created in one continuous recorded session, without stops or gaps.

Realizing this, the prosecutors had to insure that the original device and media would never be allowed to be inspected by any defense experts. That is the ONLY reasonable explanation as to why this original evidence was not preserved, but, was intentionally destroyed - the FBI, prosecutors, and any friendly parties thereof, knew that they could only get away with this fabricated recording by claiming that the original (which never existed) was erased.

Ed Steele DID NOT HAVE that criminal conversation - if he had, and if the FBI had actually recorded it, then the original device and media would have been made available to the defense for a thorough analysis. If Ed had actually had that criminal conversation, he would have plead guilty and thrust himself at the mercy of the court. He surely knows that any conversation he actually had could be verified and authenticated by modern forensic experts. His insistence of innocence can only mean that he knew no such original minidisc exists, and, he also knew that the prosecution would find some excuse for not allowing this non-existent original and device be examined. This was the basis of his jail-house phone call to Cindy - he was trying to FORCE the prosecution to cough up the original device and media by advising Cindy to avoid giving any credence to the recording.

This whole case boils down to the veracity, or falsity, of the alleged recording. The courts should have thrown this case out the instant it learned that the original media had been erased.

Old June 6th, 2011 #1789
Roy
Perception Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I'll just say this and leave it at that: Cardiac events are huge shocks to the system. I have seen this firsthand with my father.

My father, who was an extremely smart and educated man had a triple bypass at the age of 50. He did not suffer a heart attack first, as his doctor referred him to testing after my father experienced chest pain.

Not long after that, within a few years, my mother began to notice that his memory was failing in small ways. His personality and temperament also changed somewhat, again in small ways. Only those of us who lived with him could see the subtle changes, as they were only evident when you were around him on a prolonged basis. He was able to "hold it together" for short spurts around other people.

Of course, we took him to see a neurologist who told us that he was most likely suffering from early alzheimer's. Dementia was on his side of the family. We had seen this in my grandmother when she was in her late seventies and early eighties, even before she had a series of strokes.

By the time my father was 60, he was completely incapable of remembering anything beyond a few seconds after someone told him something. He had been the Chairman of an Academic Department at a major southern university since 1973, and before that his academic career was pristine.

His office at the university was a mess and he was no longer able to run the department and the situation was dire. He retired soon thereafter. We assumed that for years people in his department had been telling him things that he turned around and promptly forgot.

My uncle and his oldest son are doctors. My cousin is a neurologist and a few years ago he told me that the cardiac event most likely triggered the early dementia in my father, because he has been the only family member so far who has succumbed to this dementia before very old age. He had always been a very bright accomplished admired man.

My cousin said that undergoing cardiac surgery is just a huge shock to one's system. I'm not saying that this happened here with Steele, but it wouldn't be the first time someone's personality changed after cardiac surgery.

I am not prone to conspiracy theories, but I know that my government holds me in complete contempt because of my beliefs. What they would actually do to silence me is unknown. But I know that the one time I have come up against my government the DA wanted my head on a platter. I am not paranoid, but I no longer have a computer at my home. Therefore, planting evidence on my computer is not a possibility.

We all need to be careful in our personal lives. Whether or not it is true, we must always assume that no one is on our side. Don't give the government a chance or reason to lock you away.
According to D. Pauley, the normal outcome would have been for him to solicit non-existent Russian brides on the internet and to hire a hit man for your mom.

Pauley, did you know that everyone is different? Even if the odds of getting diminished cerebral functions are 50/50, you still have to show that HE suffered from that. Not only do you have to prove that point, but you have to prove that it led to "crazy" behavior. No copy-paste from something you drag into the forum... just prove those two points if you can.

Old June 7th, 2011 #1790
George De Vaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
There are about 223,000 Nazis on Stormfront, including lurking Jews. I say that half of them have never heard of Steele. The management there closed the Steele thread over 6 months ago, for unknown reasons. If memory serves, Steele's list was about 2,000 recipients. There are a bit more than 6,000 Nazis on VNN forum right now. Steele habitually harvested email addresses in the old days when Linder published all letters on VNN.

His list is relatively tiny, although it contained most of the top Nazis in the country. When it comes to so called White Nationalist leaders, Steele is a bit player, at least when it comes to numbers. He was not worth the government's effort to frame him. This is not to diminish his work. His was a Cadillac list, not a Ford list.
Something smells fishy. Why do you refer to all VNN posters as "Nazi's"?
You have made a lot of statements that you are not in a position to know with the kind of certainty that you assert.
If Hitler invaded my country then I would try to kill him too.
Hitler was too anti-intellectual. I have read most of his "Mein Kampf" until I became too bored with it. He wanted armies of strong bodies but not strong minds.
If I am not mistaken, Alex Linder would not call himself a "Nazi" either. Hitler believed in a highly centralized, one man government. I do not, and I don't think Alex Linder does either (from reading some of his old posts).

Old June 7th, 2011 #1791
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Nazis Are Warm and Fuzzy People

Quote:
Originally Posted by George De Vaus View Post
Something smells fishy. Why do you refer to all VNN posters as "Nazi's"?
You have made a lot of statements that you are not in a position to know with the kind of certainty that you assert.
If Hitler invaded my country then I would try to kill him too.
Hitler was too anti-intellectual. I have read most of his "Mein Kampf" until I became too bored with it. He wanted armies of strong bodies but not strong minds.
If I am not mistaken, Alex Linder would not call himself a "Nazi" either. Hitler believed in a highly centralized, one man government. I do not, and I don't think Alex Linder does either (from reading some of his old posts).
I use Nazi as an affectionate term. I could also have used the term haters or White Nationalists but everyone should have known what I meant. The Fuhrer, of Blessed Memory, was quite an intellectual. He was far better educated than his college schooled generals and bureaucrats. He read nearly a book a day.

Old June 7th, 2011 #1792
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Brain Damage from Vascular Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
According to D. Pauley, the normal outcome would have been for him to solicit non-existent Russian brides on the internet and to hire a hit man for your mom.

Pauley, did you know that everyone is different? Even if the odds of getting diminished cerebral functions are 50/50, you still have to show that HE suffered from that. Not only do you have to prove that point, but you have to prove that it led to "crazy" behavior. No copy-paste from something you drag into the forum... just prove those two points if you can.
You are ignorant of the risks of vascular surgery. The brain damage produced is random and the luck of the draw. It depends on which brain capillary that those little foreign objects plug up. Steele's surgery was 100 times more dangerous than that of Susan's father. Steele had a large blood clot form for at least an hour which stopped most of the bleeding. Chunks of that clot must have gone to his brain and caused damage before he was even operated on.

Ronnie Ray Gun, of Blessed Memory was never the same after he was shot in the chest. That is just as dangerous as heart surgery because the small clots from blood vessels in the lungs travel to the heart and are then pumped to the brain. It is well known these days than most of the symptoms of senility are caused by dozens of microscopic strokes. The elderly person is not even aware that they have occurred until they try to remember Aunt Mabel's name a year later.

Old June 7th, 2011 #1793
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Recording a Red Herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contumacyman View Post
It has been argued, by defenders of the FBI's practice of erasing original minidiscs and misidentifying original recorders, that since modern digital recorders and media are lossless, then any copy is identical to the original and nothing is to be gained by preserving both the original device and media.

The FBI contended, on the witness stand, that the PC copy of the original minidisc was "considered" to be the original, since it was a lossless, and therefore identical, copy of the original. Therefore, there was no need to preserve the original minidisc, which was erased to be reused.

This allows the prosecutors, or outside agents "friendly" to the prosecutors (read - the ADL), to fabricate a compiled wave file in which anyone can be heard to say anything, and then have the agent merely testify that this fabricated PC copy was a downloaded lossless copy of an original minidisc recorded stealthily in real time. There would be no ostensible way to refute this claim, since, it is widely proclaimed that digital copies are identical to originals.

Hogwash!

There is a standard used in all recorders that tie a particular physical CD to the original recording device that burned data onto it. Please refer to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_drive

and read at the bottom of that webpage about the RID (Recorder ID) and how each and every CD burned is tied to the particular device which created it.

The prosecution, in Ed's case, claim that a snitch, Fairfax, carried a concealed recording device on his person and the criminal conversation was recorded onto a minidisc within that recording device. This claim by the prosecution, and snitch, could be VERIFIED, or DISPROVED, provided they would have preserved, under an irrefutably documented chain of custody, the original device and media. The defense audio experts could have determined FOR A FACT whether or not this original minidisc was, or was not, burned by that original device.

If this had been done, and if the defense experts concluded that the original minidisc was indeed burned by the original device, and if the chain of custody was irrefutable (including seals and outside witnesses to evidence storage), then no one, even Steele's friends, would be able to doubt that the criminal conversation actually took place.

But, if the defense experts could show that portions of the alleged original minidisc were NOT burned by the alleged original recorder, then the entire recorded event would have to be disallowed as evidence, because this recording could only be valid if it had been created in one continuous recorded session, without stops or gaps.

Realizing this, the prosecutors had to insure that the original device and media would never be allowed to be inspected by any defense experts. That is the ONLY reasonable explanation as to why this original evidence was not preserved, but, was intentionally destroyed - the FBI, prosecutors, and any friendly parties thereof, knew that they could only get away with this fabricated recording by claiming that the original (which never existed) was erased.

Ed Steele DID NOT HAVE that criminal conversation - if he had, and if the FBI had actually recorded it, then the original device and media would have been made available to the defense for a thorough analysis. If Ed had actually had that criminal conversation, he would have plead guilty and thrust himself at the mercy of the court. He surely knows that any conversation he actually had could be verified and authenticated by modern forensic experts. His insistence of innocence can only mean that he knew no such original minidisc exists, and, he also knew that the prosecution would find some excuse for not allowing this non-existent original and device be examined. This was the basis of his jail-house phone call to Cindy - he was trying to FORCE the prosecution to cough up the original device and media by advising Cindy to avoid giving any credence to the recording.

This whole case boils down to the veracity, or falsity, of the alleged recording. The courts should have thrown this case out the instant it learned that the original media had been erased.
Prosecutors can compel a defendant to participate in voice print recording just like being fingerprinted. If the recordings were fake, why didn't the defense lawyer have Steele and Fairfax read the transcript of the recording into the same original machine? Then let the jury listen to the new recording and compare it with the original.

Kelsey did the best job of authenticating the recordings because of the incompetence of Steele's lawyers. She had listened to them and objected to the sound of a train whistle on them as not being proper. She had lived on the ranch all of her life and supposedly never heard them. She had probably gotten use to them and learned to tune them out. The prosecution promptly gave the schedule of a train that goes within a mile and a half of the ranch several times per day. Its schedule precisely matched the time of the recording. Such evidence is damning for the jury.

The business of recording over the original disk is a red herring. If you had a digital MP3 recorder that you used on someone, would you unsolder the memory chip and give it to the court for evidence? You would dump the memory to a computer and reuse the medium for the next recording. This is not a quarter inch cassette recording.

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; June 7th, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo

Old June 7th, 2011 #1794
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Fairfax's Sweetheart Deal

I missed posting of this press release by the U.S. Attorney on the sweetheart deal for Fairfax.
========
http://www.justice.gov/usao/id/news/...x05102011.html

WITNESS IN STEELE TRIAL SENTENCED FOR MANUFACTURING A FIREARM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 11, 2011

A key witness in the Edgar Steele trial was sentenced today in U.S. District Court in Coeur d’Alene, for possession of an unregistered firearm and manufacturing a firearm, U.S. Attorney Wendy J. Olson announced.

Larry Fairfax, 50, of Sagle, Idaho, was sentenced by Chief U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill to 27 months in prison with credit for time served. Fairfax has been in custody since June 15, 2010. After he leaves prison, Fairfax will be required to serve three years of supervised release. The judge fined Fairfax $9,690 and ordered him to pay $1,076.46 in restitution to the State of Idaho Military Division, $860.45 to Quick Lube, and $900 to Cyndi Steele. Fairfax pleaded guilty to the charge in October 2010.

Fairfax testified at trial that he was a handyman who worked for Steele and his wife. He admitted that Steele paid him approximately $10,000 in silver coins as a down payment to kill Steele's wife and mother-in-law. Fairfax also testified that he had installed the pipe bomb on Mrs. Steele's car in May 2010 at Edgar Steele's direction, but that he never intended to kill Mrs. Steele or her mother.

Fairfax has consistently maintained the pipe bomb would not have ignited. According to his plea agreement, after reviewing ATF reports Fairfax did concede it was possible that it could have exploded. Explosives experts testified at trial that the bomb was viable. Fairfax was arrested on June 15, 2010, the day the pipe bomb was discovered by technicians during an oil change of Mrs. Steele car.

Edgar Steele was convicted by a federal jury on May 4 of using interstate commerce facilities in the commission of murder-for-hire, use of explosive material to commit a federal felony, possession of a destructive device in relation to a crime of violence, and tampering with a victim. During the seven-day trial, the jury heard audio tapes of Steele making statements to Larry Fairfax, confirming his participation in the murder-for-hire plot. Steele will be sentenced in Coeur d’Alene on August 22, 2011.

“Larry Fairfax has been held accountable for his part in the criminal conduct that jeopardized Cyndi Steele's safety,” said Olson. “Mr. Fairfax rightly informed the FBI about Edgar Steele's plot, and now he, too, can be held accountable.”

The case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Coeur d’Alene Police Department, the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Department and the North Idaho Violent Crime Task Force (NIVCTF). The NIVCTF consists of investigators representing the FBI, Idaho State Police, Kootenai County Sheriff's Department, Shoshone County Sheriff's Office, Bonner County Sheriff's Office, Coeur d'Alene Police Department, Post Falls Police Department, and the Coeur d’Alene Tribal Police Department. The NIVCTF investigates a myriad of violent crimes, including armed robbery, kidnapping, felonious assault and drug trafficking.

“This is an example of how collaboration amongst law enforcement partners solves crime,” said James S. McTighe, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Salt Lake City Division. “By working together several agencies were able to defuse a potentially deadly situation, which has resulted in the conviction of two individuals in a murder-for-hire plot.”

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; June 7th, 2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typo

Old June 9th, 2011 #1795
8Man
"moderate" radical

Default Edgar Steele’s lawyer disbarred in Colorado

Quote:
ref: Edgar Steele’s lawyer disbarred in Colorado
The Colorado lawyer who defended Edgar Steele in his murder-for-hire case has been disbarred.

Robert T. McAllister agreed this week to give up his law license after he acknowledged misusing client funds on two occasions unrelated to Steele's case, according to a document signed in Colorado Supreme Court.

Steele was represented by a public defender until supporters raised a reported $120,000 and McAllister took over. McAllister handled most of the questioning during Steele's trial in Boise last month, which ended with jurors convicting Steele on all charges

McAllister and co-counsel Gary Amendola have said they intend to ask for a new trial ; it's unclear how that will proceed now that McAllister is disbarred.

Lawyer Wesley Hoyt, who is working with Steele's wife, Cyndi Steele, said he had no information.

“This is the first I've heard of it,” Hoyt said today. “I intend to look into the matter, and that's about all I can say.”
as HAC says: I wonder if Edgar and Cyndi Steele knew about this when they hired this turkey at the last minute?

Old June 10th, 2011 #1796
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Earlier Post in Full

The previous partial post by 8man needs to be done in full. I consulted a few years back on malpractice in an Indiana divorce case. The lawyer there had six complaints before the Supreme court and had been disciplined twice. This scum sucker of Steeles has essentially pleaded guilty to stealing money from two of his clients. This is always the tip of the iceberg .

Steele's handlers did not have much brains to pick one like this. His performance in court matched his character. Note that this scum sucker is a former federal prosecutor. I have suspected that the Steele legal team was bribed to throw the case. Now they have stolen $120,000 of Steele's supporters money and have left him in far worse shape than if he had pleaded guilty.
========
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/siren...isbarred-colo/

Sirens & Gavels
Edgar Steele’s lawyer disbarred in Colo.
Share6
Posted by Meghann June 9, 2011 12:55 p.m. • 0 comments

The Colorado lawyer who defended Edgar Steele in his murder-for-hire case has been disbarred.

Robert T. McAllister agreed this week to give up his law license after he acknowledged misusing client funds on two occasions unrelated to Steele's case, according to a document signed in Colorado Supreme Court.

According to the document, which is available here, McAllister misused a $5,255.43 check while representing a company in a lawsuit. He also used $100,000 from another client, transferring $80,000 into his own account and $20,000 into an accounted owned by Steamboat Skyglass Lodge, LLC, an entity he controls.

McAllister was chief criminal deputy for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in District of Colorado and the Northern District of Illinois from 1976 to 1983.

Steele was represented by a public defender until supporters raised a reported $120,000 and McAllister took over. McAllister handled most of the questioning during Steele's trial in Boise last month, which ended with jurors convicting Steele on all charges

McAllister and co-counsel Gary Amendola have said they intend to ask for a new trial ; it's unclear how that will proceed now that McAllister is disbarred.

Amendola did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Lawyer Wesley Hoyt, who is working with Steele's wife, Cyndi Steele, said he had no information. “This is the first I've heard of it,” Hoyt said today. “I intend to look into the matter, and that's about all I can say.”

McAllister is described by the publication Law Week as one of Denver's most well-known defense lawyers. He could not be reached for comment.

Old June 10th, 2011 #1797
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Steele's Head Scumsucker Disbarred

Note the Jew Pozner and the Jew Lozow praising this scumsucker who railroaded Steele . This is just like the scumbag Fairfax who was bankrupt and susceptable to anything to get a quick buck.
========
http://www.lawweekonline.com/2011/06...-is-disbarred/

Well-Known Denver Criminal Lawyer Robert T. McAllister Is Disbarred
Posted on 09 June 2011.
By Don Knox and Matt Masich, LAW WEEK COLORADO

DENVER — One of Denver’s top criminal-defense lawyers, Robert T. McAllister, has agreed to be disbarred after acknowledging he twice intentionally converted client funds. The news surprised and saddened other Denver criminal-defense lawyers, who spoke glowingly of McAllister’s skill in the courtroom. McAllister, 61, said he has since repaid the clients.

Two of McAllister’s biggest cases came in the early 1990s: the acquittal of David Mandarich, president of Richmond Homes, on charges of making fraudulent campaign contributions, and his representation of Dewi Sukarno, former first lady of Indonesia, on charges stemming from a socialite spat in Aspen. McAllister also was among the lawyers defending clients in the U.S. government’s criminal prosecution stemming from allegations of wrongdoing at the Rocky Flats bomb-making plant in suburban Denver.

Other McAllister clients have included Peter Kiewit Sons and OEA. McAllister recently represented a north Idaho lawyer accused of plotting to kill his wife; the lawyer, Edgar Steele, was convicted.

McAllister was a federal prosecutor in Denver and in Illinois in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Reached by telephone this afternoon, McAllister said of his disbarment, “I’m devastated by it, I have to admit that I’m in violation.” He was not represented by a lawyer in proceedings with the Colorado Supreme Court’s Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel, documents show. Not fighting the case was “the right thing to do,” McAllister said.

The stipulation and other materials are posted below.

A series of bad real estate deals precipitated McAllister’s transgression. Knowing what he knows now, he would not have made the mistake, he said. McAllister “absolutely” hopes to return to the practice of law after an eight-year timeout, at the conclusion of which he is allowed to apply for reinstatement.

A good friend, criminal defense attorney Hal Haddon of Denver firm Haddon Morgan & Foreman, said McAllister “was doing some good work again. But he was mired in a bunch of real estate deals when the market went south in 2008. That just overwhelmed him. It’s an enormously sad story. He’s accepted full responsibility for what happened. I know he’s close to making it whole.”

Another well-known Denver criminal defense attorney, Larry Pozner of litigation firm Reilly Pozner, said, “Bob McAllister was one of the most talented charismatic and innovative criminal defense lawyers I ever met. He was beautiful to watch in court, he was funny, he was kind, he had a good word to say for everyone.”

Pozner continued: “This is both a shock and a loss. Sitting around a table with Bob in a team meeting or being in a courtroom with him, you sent him up as the first person at the podium. He was a powerhouse. I was tremendously saddened by this unexpected news.”

Former Colorado U.S. Attorney Bob Miller, McAllister’s former boss, said of the news, “He was one of the most talented courtroom lawyers I’ve seen. It’s a tragedy. We’re hopeful he can bounce back and be as good as he once was. That’s my view of the world and of him.” Miller heads the Denver office of Perkins Coie.

Isaacson Rosenbaum’s Gary Lozow, another top criminal-defense attorney, said of McAllister, “When he was focused and in the moment, there weren’t any better than him. It saddens me.”

Lozow called McAllister “the consummate battler.” Asked why McAllister would stipulate to disbarment, without fighting it, Lozow said, “He must have thought it was in the public’s best interest and his clients’ best interest to do it this way.”

According to a stipulation filed with the court, McAllister acknowledged receiving $105,255.43 of client funds without permission or while the money was restricted by court order: $100,000 was held in the name of McAllister client Terry Vickery and had been frozen by a court order; $5,255.43 was a check payable to MNT Enterprises that the recipient had decided against cashing; McAllister asked the check writer, an insurer, to reissue the check in his name.

“Pursuant to ABA Standard 4.1, disbarment is generally appropriate when a lawyer knowingly converts client property and causes injury or potential injury to a client,” McAllister and the attorney regulation counsel’s office stipulated.

McAllister’s disbarment will become effective next month.

McAllister was with the U.S. Department of Justice from 1976 through 1983 for the Districts of Colorado and the Northern District of Illinois, according to one online biography.

Old June 10th, 2011 #1798
Hadding

I took it for granted that the two lawyers hired by Mrs. Steele were either crooked or half-crazy, or they wouldn't have agreed to take money for pursuing a line of defense that had no chance of success. I heard them in an interview and all they had was a lot of lawyerly nitpicking, which probably sounded impressive to an uncritical listener but wasn't going to affect the outcome of the case, which hinged entirely on demonstrating that the FBI's recording was fraudulent.

Last edited by Hadding; June 10th, 2011 at 01:35 PM.

Old June 11th, 2011 #1799
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry McAllister Blackmailed to Lose Steele's Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadding View Post
I took it for granted that the two lawyers hired by Mrs. Steele were either crooked or half-crazy, or they wouldn't have agreed to take money for pursuing a line of defense that had no chance of success. I heard them in an interview and all they had was a lot of lawyerly nitpicking, which probably sounded impressive to an uncritical listener but wasn't going to affect the outcome of the case, which hinged entirely on demonstrating that the FBI's recording was fraudulent.
Since Steele's lawyer McAllister was in trouble for failed real estate deals, he may have been open to being blackmailed by the IRS to throw the case. There might have been other shady deals besides his stealing money from a client . His trial performance would have shamed a first year law student. Keep in mind that he had been a Federal prosecutor both in Illinois and Colorado. It is a dead give away when several Jews are gushing about what a wonderful lawyer that he was and how it is such a shame that he is now disbarred.

Old June 11th, 2011 #1800
Hadding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
Since Steele's lawyer McAllister was in trouble for failed real estate deals, he may have been open to being blackmailed by the IRS to throw the case.
This is a completely redundant conspiracy theory, given that the line of defense that the defendant wanted to pursue had no chance anyway.

I think McAllister was "open to" taking Mrs. Steele's money. You need no more explanation than that.

Last edited by Hadding; June 11th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.

Tags
edgar steele

Thread