VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 26th, 2016 #1
alex revision

Default 92 Percent of America’s Restaurants Serve Oversized Portions

92 Percent of America’s Restaurants Serve Oversized Portions

Nearly two-thirds of American adults are overweight, and a new study may bring us closer to understanding exactly why that is so. Researchers at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston have found that 92 percent of American restaurant meals—including meals served at both chain and non-chain restaurants—contain way too many calories. Enough calories to make you fat, if you eat out on the regular.

http://munchies.vice.com/articles/92...sized-portions

Old January 26th, 2016 #2
Roger Bannon

Quote:
Masters, however, proposes a solution to this dismal problem: He says our lawmakers should enact local ordinances mandating that customers be allowed to order partial portions at partial prices. This, he believes, would cause restaurants to reduce portion sizes and make them more in line with what the average customer wants, rather than the hungriest person. “Customers could then order anything on the menu in a more appropriate size, and be able to eat out more often without weight gain,” he says.
We don't need another god damn law just to keep people from stuffing their faces.
If people want to lose weight then they can just eat a portion of the order. Every place will give you a container for leftovers.

Old February 3rd, 2016 #3
Ray Allan

Or go to a buffet and dish out the size portions you want.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old February 3rd, 2016 #4
cillian

Yeah, but what's a portion?

There's actually 2 portions of fruit in a typical banana.
4 ounces of fruit juice is a serving, but a glass is 12 ounces.
You can fit 2 servings of cereal in a typical bowl.
3 ounces of meat is a serving. When's the last time you seen a 3 ounce steak?

Nobody eats this way, not even nutritionists.

Old February 3rd, 2016 #5
Crowe

I don't eat out that much, but when I do I'm fucking hungry. As long as you're active enough, it might be justified eating a huge portion. Depending on the type of work you do, you might need 3000 calories or more a day. I don't need someone telling me how much food I need.

Old February 3rd, 2016 #6
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
I don't eat out that much, but when I do I'm fucking hungry. As long as you're active enough, it might be justified eating a huge portion. Depending on the type of work you do, you might need 3000 calories or more a day. I don't need someone telling me how much food I need.
Back when Micheal Phelps was winning a bunch of gold medals, they had a story about the fact that he ate over 10,000 calories a day. Because of the amount of exercise that he did as a competitive athlete, it's needed. And there was an uproar, mostly of fat women, complaining that he was a bad role model and should eat less.

Also how on labels everything says for a typical 2,000 calorie diet, blah. That doesn't mean you should be on a 2,000 calorie diet. That's used because it's a round number, but that's about what a petite 20 year old woman should eat.

Old June 6th, 2018 #7
T.Vinken

GAWT DEMNED! Do you see what they advertise at fast food joints? You get two burgers, nuggets, fries, a cookie and a drink in one combo meal, and that's all before you supersize it.

Thread