Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 2nd, 2005 #1
Stallion

Default Steven Pressfield

Steven Pressfield is a writer of historical fiction. He takes true events, and adds a personal edge to them with a narrative that gives a soldier's point of view.
I read his book, Gates of Fire, a dramatic recounting of Thermopylae and of the Spartan lifestyle. It's mostly about the workings of a disciplined army. It makes a lot of good points about modesty in women's dress, how a proud society works, and respect for tradition. I highly recommend this one.

I haven't read any of his other books yet, but I recently bought 'The Virtues of War,' about the story of Alexander the Great. I'll read it whenever I make the time for it.

Old April 12th, 2005 #2
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

Yes excellent writer of fiction, with a very Aryan aesthetic.

I first learned of his "Gates of Fire" about the Battle of Thermopylae, by a VNN book review written by Regmeister.

My Grandfather was from Greece, from the Pelopennese, and many of our kin were from the area around Sparta. Which today is not much to look at I understand. So, already having an "authoritarian" bent to my tastes preferences and ideas, I found Pressfield's favorable exposition of Spartan ideals and virtues exhilarating. One normally heres the Jewish version of Greek history where the emphasis is all upon the allegedly egalitarian ideal of democracy, and nary a word about the glory of Sparta and its peers. "Gates of Fire" helps one understand the fundamental social differences between Athens and Sparta. It also illuminates certain things about the best "Tradition" of the west and that it is NOT egalitarian.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Tides of War, about the Athenian general Alkibiades, is also a good read because it shows the type of the democratic-naval-trading empire, exemplified by Periclean Athens, and later reproduced in history by Great Britain and today the United States. It also shows the many weaknesses of such a system.

The book about Alexander is ten times better than the stupid movie depicting him as a poofter. If you are interested in Alexander, skip the movie and read this book.

There is another book called Last of the Amazons or something, which some here may find interesting, especially if you are familiar with the work of JJ Bachofen.

Of these, "Gates of Fire" regarding the gallant stand of the Spariates and Thebans against the Asiatic horde, is easily the best. I thank my friend Alex Linder for VNN which introduced me to this excellent series that.

Old April 16th, 2005 #3
Stallion

Another thing that Gates of Fire glorified was the discipline of the Spartans in comparison to their Helot rivals and the Persian invaders. There is one line where one of the Immortals beheads a hoplite and raises his sword in triumph, only to be stabbed down by a squad of spearmen. One of the best parts of the book is about their training, but another part is where the enemy army's formation crumbles out of fear, and how half of them flee when the Spartan army lowers its spears--in unison-- to a certain verse in their war song.

The book about the Amazons is Last of the Amazons. I haven't read it yet. I am currently reading The Virtues of War, about Alexander. Let me tell you, it is a great book. I look forward to more books from this guy, because he's one of the best authors living today.

Old April 16th, 2005 #4
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

Well, I look forward to more of your comments Stallion. There is much material in these works to discuss.

Thread