Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 26th, 2008 #1
hengest
Banned

Default Easy Rider: A classic movie or just a dated nostalgia fest?

I watched the first half of this movie last night and became so bored, I could go no further. And yes, I have watched it all, many times previously. In fact, I actually purchased it many moons ago in VHS format.
I really wanted to like it, but it is just soooo boring and so pretentious and smug.
Perhaps aging hippies love it, for it reminds them of their good-times, long past, and ok, I can understand that; but nostalgia aside, I don't understand why it still gets lauded by the film buffs. It is horribly dated.
A FAR, FAR better hippie road movie is Two-lane Blacktop. Watch it if you can.

Old September 26th, 2008 #2
Jett Rink
Banned

The movie sucked ass from purely from a script standpoint even when it was new, but its fun to watch for nostalgia value and the whole road trip theme.

I can't stand the last quarter of the movie when they get to New Orleans, after Nicholson gets his head bashed in the movie pretty much falls apart.

Old September 26th, 2008 #3
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Cool

I agree with much of what you say; a lot of it has become pretentious and smug and horribly dated, but I still enjoy the road scenes and the soundtrack.
The bikes shoulda got co-star billing!

George Hanson (Jack Nicholson) on 'kwans.

Old September 27th, 2008 #4
hengest
Banned

Don't you think that the character played by Dennis Hopper is very jew-like?
Clowning, obnoxious, sneering and agressive?
The only redeeming facet of this film is the sound track.

Old September 28th, 2008 #5
Mark Kerpolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengest View Post
I watched the first half of this movie last night and became so bored, I could go no further. And yes, I have watched it all, many times previously. In fact, I actually purchased it many moons ago in VHS format.
I really wanted to like it, but it is just soooo boring and so pretentious and smug.

No comment.

Old September 28th, 2008 #6
hengest
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aistulf View Post

No comment.
I was speaking of way back, when I first watched it, not NOW!

Old September 28th, 2008 #7
John in Woodbridge

It's a classic. When you watch an older movie you need to judge it by the time period in which it was made not by today's social norms.

Old October 16th, 2008 #8
N.B. Forrest

It's an entertaining nostalgia trip, with lots of funny dated stoner dialogue: like Reefer Madness with choppers.

And that Toni Basil, with her big brown eyes (not to mention her soft, milky-white ass in the graveyard acid trip scene) was absolutely drop-dead gorgeous....

Old October 16th, 2008 #9
Dan Allan

In spite of having numerous anti-White themes, including the ending involving stereotypical violent "rednecks", (I won't spoil it!), I still enjoy the movie. It is almost a kind of critical examination of the hippie/drug culture of the 60's. Plus, Born To Be Wild is a total classic.

Old October 19th, 2008 #10
Axel Faaborg

Maybe it's just that I'm too young and was born in the mid-80s, but this movie sucks ass.

Old October 19th, 2008 #11
albion

Bush-Supporter Dennis Hopper Switches His Vote: "I Pray" Obama Wins

One of Hollywood's few Republicans has switched his vote. Dennis Hopper, 72, told reporters in France that he's praying for an Obama victory, despite decades as a Bush supporter.

"I voted for Bush, father and son, but this time I'll vote for Obama," he told journalists at the opening of a show on his life and work.

"I was the first person in my family to have been Republican," he added. "For most of my life I wasn't on the left."

"I pray God, Barack Obama is elected," he said, calling the current administration's many "lies."

Hopper stars in "An American Carol," a conservative comedy that spoofed Michael Moore and last donated money, in 2004, the RNC.

French Culture minister Christine Albanel also named Dennis Hopper as Commander of the 'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres' medal on Monday night.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_134433.html

Thread