VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 29th, 2021 #42
Stewart Meadows

Some pictures from the fantastic anime series Saint Seiya:

Old March 29th, 2021 #43
Stewart Meadows

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku is also a pretty good anime in my opinion.

Old March 30th, 2021 #44
Ray Allan

I watched Speed Racer and Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers as a kid, but I'm not very familiar with current anime.

Nice NS girl pictures, Weschenfelder.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old March 30th, 2021 #45
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
I watched Speed Racer and Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers as a kid,
I watched Space Battleship Yamato too (occasionally) when I was a kid in the 80s, although it wasn't really one of my favorite anime series. Speed Racer didn't interest me at all as I've always disliked cartoons, TV series, movies and video games about sports.

Quote:
but I'm not very familiar with current anime.
Most of it seems pretty mediocre. The best anime was produced in the 80s and early 90s (although there are some exceptions).

Quote:
Nice NS girl pictures, Weschenfelder.
Absolutely. Starting this thread was a stroke of genius on Weschenfelder's part. It's too bad that he left the forum, he made lots of great posts.

Old March 30th, 2021 #46
Stewart Meadows

Here are the English-language Wikipedia pages for three of my favorite anime series that I grew up with in the 1980s and early 90s: Hokuto no Ken, Saint Seiya and Tiger Mask:

Quote:
Fist of the North Star (Japanese: 北斗の拳, Hepburn: Hokuto no Ken, lit. "Fist of the Big Dipper")[a] is a Japanese manga series written by Buronson and illustrated by Tetsuo Hara. It was serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump for 245 issues published from 1983 to 1988 and initially collected in 27 tankōbon volumes under the Jump Comics imprint by Shueisha. Set on a post-apocalyptic Earth after a nuclear war, the story centers on a warrior named Kenshiro, the successor of a deadly martial art known as Hokuto Shinken, which gives him the ability to kill his opponents by striking their secret vital points, which often results in them dying in an exceptionally violent and gory manner. Kenshiro dedicates his life to fighting against the various gangs, bandits, and warlords who threaten the lives of the defenseless and innocent, as well as rival martial artists, including his own "brothers" from the same school.
(...)
As of 2018, Fist of the North Star is among the highest-grossing media franchises of all time. The manga has sold over 100 million copies, making it one of the best-selling manga series in history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of_the_North_Star

Quote:
Saint Seiya (Japanese: 聖闘士セイント星セイ矢ヤ, Hepburn: Seinto Seiya), also known as Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac or simply Knights of the Zodiac, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Masami Kurumada. The story follows five mystical warriors called the Saints who fight wearing sacred sets of armor named "Cloths", the designs of which derive from the various constellations the characters have adopted as their destined guardian symbols, and empowered by a mystical energy called "Cosmo". The Saints have sworn to defend the reincarnation of the Greek goddess Athena in her battle against other Olympian gods who want to dominate Earth.
(...)
The series was considered one of the biggest phenomenons of the 1980s. It would become the inspiration for future series, including several Gundam series such as Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and Mobile Fighter G Gundam,[84] Legend of Heavenly Sphere Shurato, Ronin Warriors, Wild Knights Gulkeeva, and Kurumada's later work B't X.[85] In The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917, Jonathan Clements and Helen McCarthy praises the series' complex plot and felt that animation designers' Shingo Araki and Michi Himeno had worked "magic" with both the anime series and the films. They also praised the grand soundtrack and director Shigeyasu Yamauchi's ability to stretch out the tension and chose the perfect places to stop an episode to keep audiences waiting for the next one. Clements and McCarthy did, however, find the series disturbing in that its main emotional impact comes from the audience seeing "older boys and men fighting brave but naive teenagers" and through victories earning more weapons.[86] Jason Thompson describes the series as being "almost pure battle".[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Seiya

Quote:
Tiger Mask (Japanese: タイガーマスク, Hepburn: Taigā Masuku) is a Japanese manga series written by Ikki Kajiwara and illustrated by Naoki Tsuji.
(...)
Tiger Mask, whose real name was Naoto Date, was a feared heel wrestler in America who was extremely vicious in the ring. However, he became a face after returning to Japan when a young boy said that he wanted to be a villain like Tiger Mask when he grew up. The boy resided in an orphanage, the same one that Tiger Mask grew up in during his childhood. Feeling that he did not want the boy to idolize a villain, Tiger was inspired to be a heroic wrestler.

The main antagonist in the manga and anime was the Tiger's Den, a mysterious organization that trained young people to be villainous wrestlers on the condition that they gave half of their earnings to the organization. Tiger Mask was once a member of the Tiger's Den under the name "Yellow Devil", but no longer wanted anything to do with them, instead donating his money to the orphanage. This infuriated the leader of the organization and he sent numerous assassins, including other professional wrestlers, to punish him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Mask

Quote:
The Tiger Mask donation phenomenon is a series of donations of randoseru (school backpacks) and other items to orphanages around Japan. The first donation happened when someone left ten 30,000-yen backpacks at a child guidance center in Gunma Prefecture on Christmas Day in 2010. A note attached to the bags was signed "Naoto Date", the real name of the titular character of Tiger Mask, a popular 1960s and 70s manga about a wrestler who fought for orphans, being raised in an orphanage himself. Since the initial donation, copycat donations have appeared around Japan at various facilities for children, ranging from more backpacks to toys, food, and monetary gifts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_...ion_phenomenon

It's difficult to explain in words how fantastic they are, but like I said in another thread a long time ago, these series glorify and promote humanity's best qualities, values and conduct, like strength, courage, endurance, loyalty, righteousness, self-sacrifice and epic heroism. This is all part of the traditional Bushido code of conduct, which remained in the Japanese folk soul even after the samurai disappeared, and which is present in anime.

For example, take the following scene from Saint Seiya that I brought up in an older post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Meadows View Post
(...)
And here's Far Reaching Five Old Peaks which is informally known as Shiryu's Theme because it's played after a dramatic battle in which Shiryu (one of the series' protagonists) sacrifices his eyesight to save his comrades from an enemy:

Remember Sadness.mp4

The screenshots are from a battle in which Shiryu (one of the heroes) is fighting Perseus Algol, whose shield has the ability to turn his enemies into stone if they look at it (like Medusa from Greek mythology, which Saint Seiya is loosely based on).

Two of Shiryu's comrades, Seiya and Shun, have already fallen prey to Algol, and only the latter's death can unpetrify them. Shiryu realizes that as long as he has his eyesight he's vulnerable to Algol's attacks, so he blinds himself, i.e. he sacrifices his eyesight to save his comrades. You can watch some of it here:

After Algol is defeated, Shiryu calls out for his comrades, who are shocked and devastated when they discover that he's blind, but he simply smiles, with a mixture of tears and blood running down his face, because he's happy and relieved that they're okay, even though he himself is clearly not.

These powerful scenes made a strong impression on me when I first saw them as a child in the late 1980s. I had never seen anything like that in the silly and shallow American cartoons that we were flooded with in Europe. Anime was something completely different, something much, much better and much more profound.

Old March 30th, 2021 #47
Stewart Meadows

And yes, I realize that nobody is going to read my long post. I guess I'm writing this for my own sake, like this is my personal blog or something. I'm sorry if other forum members find it annoying.

Old March 30th, 2021 #48
Ray Allan

Weschenfelder's last post was June 10, 2020, so I guess he has left the forum.

Old March 31st, 2021 #49
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Weschenfelder's last post was June 10, 2020, so I guess he has left the forum.
Yes, he left the forum after an altercation with another member:

https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?...53#post2304353

I hope he returns since he was a good poster.

Old March 31st, 2021 #50
Stewart Meadows

Let's return to Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) for a moment.

Quote:
Fist of the North Star (Japanese: 北斗の拳, Hepburn: Hokuto no Ken, lit. "Fist of the Big Dipper")[a] is a Japanese manga series written by Buronson and illustrated by Tetsuo Hara. (...) Set on a post-apocalyptic Earth after a nuclear war, the story centers on a warrior named Kenshiro, the successor of a deadly martial art known as Hokuto Shinken, which gives him the ability to kill his opponents by striking their secret vital points, which often results in them dying in an exceptionally violent and gory manner. Kenshiro dedicates his life to fighting against the various gangs, bandits, and warlords who threaten the lives of the defenseless and innocent, as well as rival martial artists, including his own "brothers" from the same school.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of_the_North_Star

There's a very moving scene there that involves the main antagonist Raoh, a ruthless warlord with mystical powers and superhuman strength and stature.

We see a flashback from Raoh's childhood where he and his baby brother Toki, both orphaned, go to Ryuken, the head of a martial arts school, in the hope that he would adopt them and accept them as his students. They're standing on a mountain, and with a swift kick Ryuken shatters the ground under Raoh and Toki's feet, causing them to plummet into a ravine. ("Ravine" is probably the wrong word, but my English is crap, so bear with me, folks. (Although I'm not sure who I'm talking to here since nobody is reading this.))

Ryuken then tells them that he can only adopt and train one of them, and that he who climbs up to him first will be accepted as his son and student. Toki is badly injured, his leg is broken, so he tells Raoh to leave him there and start climbing since he knows that Raoh's dream is to become a great martial artist.

In the next scene we see Ryuken sitting on top of the mountain, waiting for one of the two brothers to reach him. However, nothing happens, so Ryuken assumes that both of them were to weak to pass the test. But as he gets up and is ready to leave, he sees Raoh's left hand and head stick up from the edge of the mountain.

Ryuken starts walking towards him, and as he gets closer he sees that Raoh is carrying Toki. He refused to leave his brother behind so he carried him and climed the mountain using only one hand. This shocks Ryuken, and he's so impressed with Raoh's strength and valor that he decides to adopt and train both him and his brother. Here's a screenshot from that scene (it's a picture that I posted on the first page of this thread):

I'll write more about what happens to Raoh and Toki tomorrow.

Last edited by Stewart Meadows; March 31st, 2021 at 08:36 PM.

Old April 1st, 2021 #51
Stewart Meadows

My awful description of Raoh's childhood flashback doesn't do it justice. (I'm a terrible writer, which is why I usually just post newspaper articles here on the forum, and let them do the talking.) I dug up the following Youtube clip of the scenes described in my previous post, so just ignore the crap I wrote and watch this instead:

Old April 1st, 2021 #52
Stewart Meadows

Raoh and Toki grow up to be great martial artists thanks to Ryuken's training which gives them superhuman abilities - although the word "superhuman" might not be correct here since they're not really given any superpowers like Spider-Man, the Hulk and similar American comic book characters. The source of Raoh and Toki's powers is their own inner energy that they're taught to channel, and that's something that every person can do with the proper training. This martial art is known as Hokuto Shinken in the series.

Ryuken eventually realizes that Raoh is an evil, ruthless, greedy, ambitious man who wants to use his powers to subjugate the entire world, so he tries to stop him, but Raoh kills him and then sets off to build an army and found his own empire.

Toki is Raoh's complete opposite: he's a gentle, thoughtful, kindhearted man who wants to use his powers to heal sick people. He was supposed to become the successor of Ryuken's Hokuto Shinken martial arts school, but then tragedy struck: a devastating nuclear war turned the entire world into an inhospitable desert (this is the famous backdrop for the series), and Toki was exposed to the nuclear fallout because he chose to leave his safe bomb shelter in order to save others.

The fallout turns Toki's hair white and leaves him terminally ill, so the series' main hero, Kenshiro, is instead chosen as the Hokuto Shinken successor. Kenshiro is the youngest and most inexperienced of Ryuken's students, and he and Toki are very close friends.

Realizing that his illness will never allow him to continue being a martial artist, Toki becomes a wandering doctor and uses what time he has left to treat and heal the people who survived the nuclear war. He harbors no ill will whatsoever toward Kenshiro for taking his place as the successor to Hokuto Shinken, and instead does everything he can to guide and encourage him.

Eventually though, Toki realizes that he can't sit by and watch his older brother Raoh kill and subjugate innocent people, so he decides to fight him and put a stop to his reign of terror. Kenshiro asks Toki to let him fight Raoh instead, but Toki refuses because he doesn't feel that Kenshiro is ready, and because he believes that it's his responsibility to stop his evil brother from doing harm.

The fight between Toki and Raoh is impressive, Toki is still very strong despite his illness, and he fights heroically, but is ultimately defeated.

Here are some screenshots:

After Toki's defeat, it's up to the series' main hero, Kenshiro, to stop Raoh.

Old April 1st, 2021 #53
Stewart Meadows

Some pictures of Kenshiro:

Kenshiro fighting Raoh:

Old April 1st, 2021 #54
Ray Allan

Quote:
Some pictures of Kenshiro:
He vaguely resembles Rambo.

Not to interrupt your story too much Stewart, but Weschenfelder's NS girls made me think of these ones:

Girls und Panzer

Old April 3rd, 2021 #55
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
He vaguely resembles Rambo.
Kenshiro is largely based on Bruce Lee and Mel Gibson's character Mad Max, who were popular in the 1980s. And in the second series, Kenshiro dons a pair of sunglasses that were inspired by Sylvester Stallone's character in Cobra.

Quote:
Not to interrupt your story too much Stewart,
Please do. I'm tired of talking to myself. (I do that all the time in my threads.)

Quote:
but Weschenfelder's NS girls made me think of these ones:

Girls und Panzer

Kuromorimine: Panzerlied - Tank Song (Girls und Panzer)
Nice video.

Old April 3rd, 2021 #56
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Meadows View Post
Kenshiro is largely based on Bruce Lee and Mel Gibson's character Mad Max, who were popular in the 1980s. And in the second series, Kenshiro dons a pair of sunglasses that were inspired by Sylvester Stallone's character in Cobra.
Then there's Falco (one of Kenshiro's adversaries in the second series) who was modeled after the legendary Ivan Drago from Rocky IV:

Old April 4th, 2021 #58
Stewart Meadows

Here are some pictures of the fight between Raoh and Juza from Hokuto no Ken:

Old April 4th, 2021 #59
Ray Allan

Rocky vs. Drago is a good comparison. Raoh vs. Juza reminds me of Rambo vs. Kourov. (My favorite scene of the movie)

Old April 6th, 2021 #60
Werner Freitag
White SuperMacist™

Eu não sou muito fã desses animes e desenhos animados. Mas o bom dos mangás e animes - a despeito da aparência infantil e cartunesca - é que são produzidos fora da esfera imunda de Hollywood. A possibilidade de uma alternativa ao lixo globo-homo é extraordinária. Cavaleiros do Zodíaco, Dragon Ball, DBZ, Yugi-Oh! e afins construíram uma geração, que a repugnante da Fátima Bernardes e da Globo está destruindo. Os japoneses até mesmo conseguem a façanha de restaurar a honra e a dignidade da nossa cultura e da nossa história, como em séries como Vinland Saga. E isso sob condições de degeneração similares às nossas, sob ocupação americana. São um povo realmente admirável. The Jews fear the Samurai.

https://www.tecmundo.com.br/minha-se...criminacao.htm

Porém, eu acho intratável (e incompreensível) algumas coisas, como o exagero pitoresco e desproporcional de personagens, mesmo em se tratando de obras de fantasia. Um exemplo é como esse aí de baixo, d'A Viagem de Chihiro:

O Mundo dos Pequeninos (The Secret World of Arrietty), de 2010, parece muito mais relaxante, quase divino. É isso que deveria ser produzido no mundo. Esse é o futuro que nós poderíamos herdar. Mas ao invés disso, nós temos judeus.

http://images5.alphacoders.com/690/690588.jpg

Tags
anime, mangá, nazi

Thread