Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 30th, 2010 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Religious in the U.S.: Ann Douglas' book "The Feminization of American Culture"

From Ann Douglas' The Feminization of American Culture (1977)

The everyday Protestant of 1800 subscribed to a rather complicated and rigidly defined body of dogma; attendance at a certain church had a markedly theological function. By 1875, American Protestants were much more likely to define their faith in terms of family morals, civic responsibility, and above all, in terms of the social function of churchgoing. The actual creed was usually a liberal, even a sentimental one for which [Jonathan] Edwards and his contemporaries [1700-1750] would have felt scorn and horror.

Old August 30th, 2010 #2
Hugo Böse
Jeunesse Dorée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
The actual creed was usually a liberal,...
Liberals and Protestants are the same thing, they come from the same people, liberalism is fanatical Puritanism made secular, the biggest differences between the two are merely their views regarding sex and what god they worship, I suppose one could say modern liberals worship themselves.

Old August 30th, 2010 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Böse View Post
Liberals and Protestants are the same thing, they come from the same people, liberalism is fanatical Puritanism made secular, the biggest differences between the two are merely their views regarding sex and what god they worship, I suppose one could say modern liberals worship themselves.
Why limit it to Protestantism? The whole cult is liberal since it promotes (soul) equality and love over reason and judgment. There's only one fundamental divide in human thought, and that is man's reality orientation. Either man admits reality exists, or he rejects it in favor of fantasy. Astrology, magic, liberalism, christ-insanity, communism, secular humanism - any other religious cult - look different on the outside, and their adherents may be at odds, but fundamentally they are the same thing, when it comes to classification. There is no essential difference between believing in astrology and believing in Jesus. Put a different way, the difference between someone who believes star alignments influence our lives, and someone who believes praying to Godd affects our lives, is one of taste.

Last edited by Alex Linder; August 30th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Old August 30th, 2010 #4
sebastian stevens
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Böse View Post
Isn't that called humanism? Today's "conservatives" are liberal. They're just hypocrites that's all. Go to the average "white" southern Baptist church in Louisiana and in Texas and if you see a black guy sitting in in the pew with his white wife the people will go out of their way to make the couple feel comfortable. It's disgusting. These are the people that hate Obama and vote Republican. You'll also find these "fine" Christian white folks at your anti abortion rallies. To them all life is precious even the mulattoes and the spics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Put a different way, the difference between someone who believes star alignments influence our lives, and someone who believes praying to Godd affects our lives, is one of taste, and nothing else.
Ha ha. That's funny. It's also true.

Old August 30th, 2010 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

I don't believe, impersonally or personally, that Baptists are human beings. However, I generally keep that view to myself, and don't express it publicly more than three or four hundred times a year. Scienticians will note that approximates daily, but they DONT KNOW ME. THEY DONT WHAT I'M ALL ABOUT. THEY AINT PAYING MAH BILLS. And i'm telling you that 3-400x exhibits a truly impressive reserve, nigh unto self control.

Old August 30th, 2010 #6
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

I recall a line from the movie A River Runs Through It:
'Methodist are Baptist who can read.'

Old August 30th, 2010 #7
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
I recall a line from the movie A River Runs Through It:
'Methodist are Baptist who can read.'