Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 1st, 2012 #121
Hunter Morrow

You might be more of a lizard man, N.B.

I haven't had exotic pets since I was a child and I've got a hankering to get one.

I'm looking at the smaller varieties of boas now, about 4 to 5 foot ones.

VNN is the best.

Old December 1st, 2012 #122
Alex Linder
Administrator

Snakes maintain a dignified reserve in contradistinction to god's furry, emotionally needy creatures.

Snakes are living jewelry; they ennoble all around them. I find their chaste decorum and proclivity for ridding their environs of vermin exemplary.

Last edited by Alex Linder; July 27th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.

Old December 1st, 2012 #123
Crowe

I see snakes out here all the time, usually huge ass rat snakes, or garter snakes, and sometimes copperheads. Garter snakes are actually the most aggressive of those 3, they will raise hell if you try to grab them. I've picked up rat snakes and copperheads before and they remained docile. Find a big old rat snake and throw it in under your craw space and it will take care of your rodent problem if you got one. Now if we just had a snake that ate Jews.....

Old December 1st, 2012 #124
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
I see snakes out here all the time, usually huge ass rat snakes, or garter snakes, and sometimes copperheads. Garter snakes are actually the most aggressive of those 3, they will raise hell if you try to grab them. I've picked up rat snakes and copperheads before and they remained docile. Find a big old rat snake and throw it in under your craw space and it will take care of your rodent problem if you got one. Now if we just had a snake that ate Jews.....
The last snake I saw in my yard was about 10 years ago: a garter (one would think I'd see many more, since my property is surrounded by overgrown fields & bordering woods). You could tell that it was a touchy creature, too; reacted nervously when I walked past.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old July 27th, 2013 #125
Alex Linder
Administrator

Farmer bites back snake to death in tit-for-tat attack in MP
P Naveen, TNN Jul 26, 2013, 04.56PM IST

BHOPAL: An angry farmer who was bitten by a snake bit it back and killed the reptile in a retaliatory attack, in Betul district of Madhya Pradesh on Wednesday night.

Nilabh Dhurvey chased the snake, which bit him on his right thumb, caught it and killed it by biting it to pieces.

"I survived the bite only because I bit him to death," the 30-year-old Dhurvey, who lives in Macchiborgaon village, some 40km from district headquarters and 215km south of state capital of MP, told doctors at district hospital.

The incident took place at around 7.30pm on Wednesday when Dhurvey, member of the Korkhu community (categorised in Primitive Tribe Group - PTGs), was returning home after grazing his cattles.

As soon as the snake bit him, he pounced upon the snake and bit it to pieces - as Dhurvey told to his treating medico Dr Rahul Shrivastav, at the district hospital. "I have seen more than 200 cases of snake bites since my posting in this tribal dominated area, this was the first of its kind," Dr Shrivastav told TOI.

The doctors administered him only a loading doze of the polyvalent anti-snake venom serum and he was out of danger. He will be discharged by Friday, they said, adding his vengeance was followed by an old belief that biting back a snake ends risk to life. Dhurvey believes that he would have succumbed to poison if he had allowed the snake to escape.

Forest officials said that Dhurvey is out of danger, and would not be charged with killing the snake unless the species of the reptile is identified. "Initially, it seemed that this snake was not among the endangered species," said a forest ranger.

While state forest department government provides compensation for the loss of human life by wild animals except snake and monitor lizard (guhera), the revenue department pays Rs 50,000 to the dependents in case of death by snake bites.

Experts on reptiles claim, Betul district has a large variety of non-poisonous snakes like rat-snake, chequered keelback, and kukri. While poisonous snakes found in the area includes, cobra, krait and Russell's vipers. According to officials figures, 800 people have died in MP by snake bites in the last seven months.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...monitor-lizard

Old July 27th, 2013 #126
Alex Linder
Administrator

Snakes rescued ahead of Nag Panchami
TNN | Jul 28, 2013, 12.19 AM IST

HYDERABAD: The Wildlife Protection Society and several other organisations working for animal welfare rescued as many as 20 snakes including seven pythons from snake charmers in the wee hours of Saturday, a fortnight ahead of Nag Panchami.

Authorities, who are taking necessary steps including visiting the major activity hubs of snake charmers and stationing teams at bus stations, said this time the snake charmers, if caught, will be prosecuted. Mahesh Agarwal, special officer, Wildlife Crime Control Board, said, "So far, we have managed to rescue 20 snakes including 7 pythons, three patched sand boas and 10 cobras. They were rescued from Vijayawada highway."

According to Agarwal, the reptiles were being transported to various parts of the state from Srikakulam and West Godavari by a seven-member and a four-member gang of snake charmers respectively. Snake charmers and collectors display the reptiles in public and offer them to people for worshipping for a fee on the day of Nag Panchami that will be observed on August 11 this year.

Wildlife officials said that they started the rescue operations a fortnight before this year so that the snake charmers do not cause harm to the reptiles. "Snake charmers subject snakes to various types of cruelties. Devotees should perform rituals only at temples," said Agarwal.

Rescuers said that snakes cannot digest milk as it is not their natural diet. Milk causes severe dehydration, allergic reactions and dysentery in snakes, at times even causing death. But during Nag Panchami, they are fed milk by the public as part of the rituals. Venomous snakes, including the Indian cobra, are protected under the Indian Wildlife Protection Act (1972) and catching snakes or causing injury to them is a legal offence punishable under the Act, officials said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21409388.cms

Old July 27th, 2013 #127
Alex Linder
Administrator

Venomous snakes seized after Clearfield house fire

July 26, 2013, by Ben Winslow

CLEARFIELD — Authorities seized a half-dozen venomous snakes — including an exotic viper — from a home here after firefighters stumbled upon them while trying to extinguish a kitchen fire.

Firefighters responded to a home near 950 East 1150 South on Friday. Inside, firefighters found cages of snakes. Davis County Animal Control officers said that of the 28 snakes inside, five are rattlesnakes and one is a Gaboon viper; the rest are boa constrictors and pythons.

The Gaboon viper, native to Africa, is considered one of the most dangerous in the world. It has 2-inch long fangs and its venom is especially potent.

“It has very big fangs and they can strike a long ways and they’re very fast, too,” said Jim Dix with Reptile Rescue, which took custody of the serpents from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. “So it is dangerous and it is not a beginner snake. It’s not something you would want loose in a neighborhood.”

Davis County Animal Control Officer Jamie Stell told FOX 13 the venomous snakes are illegal to possess in Utah.

“Because of the propensity of being bitten,” she explained. “Availability of things like anti-venom, because with the viper I heard the closest anti-venom is in Florida. It’s not good to have something where you can’t get treatment for it.”

Dix said they were well cared for and said the owner, whom he knows, knew what he was doing. Still, he said, the man did not have the permits.

State wildlife officers on scene said the man could face misdemeanor charges for possessing the venomous snakes. Formal charges would be screened at a later date.

Dix said he has been dealing with a spike in exotic pet smuggling in Utah. Over the past three years, he said, Reptile Rescue has recovered 30 alligators from various spots across the state.

“They’ve been loose on alfalfa farms, in the Kaysville Botanical Gardens Pond, a couple out of Hill Air Force Base that people owned illegally and one out of a Del Taco Dumpster in Lake Point,” he told FOX 13.

http://fox13now.com/2013/07/26/venom...ld-house-fire/

Old July 27th, 2013 #128
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Venomous snakes seized after Clearfield house fire

July 26, 2013, by Ben Winslow

CLEARFIELD — Authorities seized a half-dozen venomous snakes — including an exotic viper — from a home here after firefighters stumbled upon them while trying to extinguish a kitchen fire.

Firefighters responded to a home near 950 East 1150 South on Friday. Inside, firefighters found cages of snakes. Davis County Animal Control officers said that of the 28 snakes inside, five are rattlesnakes and one is a Gaboon viper; the rest are boa constrictors and pythons.

The Gaboon viper, native to Africa, is considered one of the most dangerous in the world. It has 2-inch long fangs and its venom is especially potent.

“It has very big fangs and they can strike a long ways and they’re very fast, too,” said Jim Dix with Reptile Rescue, which took custody of the serpents from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. “So it is dangerous and it is not a beginner snake. It’s not something you would want loose in a neighborhood.”

Davis County Animal Control Officer Jamie Stell told FOX 13 the venomous snakes are illegal to possess in Utah.

“Because of the propensity of being bitten,” she explained. “Availability of things like anti-venom, because with the viper I heard the closest anti-venom is in Florida. It’s not good to have something where you can’t get treatment for it.”

Dix said they were well cared for and said the owner, whom he knows, knew what he was doing. Still, he said, the man did not have the permits.

State wildlife officers on scene said the man could face misdemeanor charges for possessing the venomous snakes. Formal charges would be screened at a later date.

Dix said he has been dealing with a spike in exotic pet smuggling in Utah. Over the past three years, he said, Reptile Rescue has recovered 30 alligators from various spots across the state.

“They’ve been loose on alfalfa farms, in the Kaysville Botanical Gardens Pond, a couple out of Hill Air Force Base that people owned illegally and one out of a Del Taco Dumpster in Lake Point,” he told FOX 13.

http://fox13now.com/2013/07/26/venom...ld-house-fire/
Some stoopid bitch bought the farm a while back when she was playing with her "pet" Gaboon Viper....

Any fools who keep venomous snakes deserve the hideous deaths waiting for them. Like this stereotypical Tuff Guy:

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old July 27th, 2013 #129
Alex Linder
Administrator

Bitis Gabonica

Can you dig it?

Old July 27th, 2013 #130
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Some stoopid bitch bought the farm a while back when she was playing with her "pet" Gaboon Viper....

Any fools who keep venomous snakes deserve the hideous deaths waiting for them. Like this stereotypical Tuff Guy:

yeah, there are a few too many of these morons, because we see this story several times a year. as i've said before, people don't seem to realize that venom can do a lot of damage short of killing you. even if your life is saved, you can lose a finger or an arm, or have one permanently messed up (things that swell up huge and turn charcoal black don't go back to normal when you get out of the hospital). the venom injection is basically the start of digestion. when the needles puncture your cuticle, you have begun being consumed. you taste good, like an idiot should. is what a snake would say, out of both tines of its tongue, if snakes vouchsafed articulation to their Speise.

it is truly dumb to handle venomous snakes. even the comparatively minor venomous snakes as we have in North America (apart from the coral snake, which you're least likely to come across, and which is least likely to bite you, altho its poison is old-world dangerous if it did).

Last edited by Alex Linder; July 27th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Old July 27th, 2013 #131
N.B. Forrest

They are one impressively deadly-looking variety of death rope, that's for sure: heads as broad as a driver golf club.

Other brands that scream "Fuck with me, and I will KILL your ass...." are the king cobra & the black mamba. Shit, the mambas will actually chase you....

Old July 27th, 2013 #132
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:

They are one impressively deadly-looking variety of death rope, that's for sure: heads as broad as a driver golf club.

Other brands that scream "Fuck with me, and I will KILL your ass...." are the king cobra & the black mamba. Shit, the mambas will actually chase you....
They're awesome looking. My fingers itch to pick the Gabooni up. But this is where self-control must kick in.

Old August 6th, 2013 #133
Alex Linder
Administrator

African Rock Python escapes from pet store in Canada, kills two white children upstairs.

Savoie, the pet shop owner, told Global News that the dead boys were his “best friend’s kids” and they were like an extended family.

“I have so many mixed emotions right now it’s ridiculous. I can’t believe this is real,” Savoie told Global. “I feel like they’re my kids.” You have mixed emotions? Do you know what 'mixed emotions' means?

“There is nobody to blame. The snake broke out of its enclosure. The enclosure locked. There was no negligence. This is a terrible accident,” read one of Reptile Ocean’s posts. Yeah, um, you're supposed to be smarter than the snake. If the snake was able to break out, then the enclosure wasn't strong enough. That is certainly negligence on the owner's part.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2..._children.html

Old August 6th, 2013 #134
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
African Rock Python escapes from pet store in Canada, kills two white children upstairs.

Savoie, the pet shop owner, told Global News that the dead boys were his “best friend’s kids” and they were like an extended family.

“I have so many mixed emotions right now it’s ridiculous. I can’t believe this is real,” Savoie told Global. “I feel like they’re my kids.” You have mixed emotions? Do you know what 'mixed emotions' means?

“There is nobody to blame. The snake broke out of its enclosure. The enclosure locked. There was no negligence. This is a terrible accident,” read one of Reptile Ocean’s posts. Yeah, um, you're supposed to be smarter than the snake. If the snake was able to break out, then the enclosure wasn't strong enough. That is certainly negligence on the owner's part.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2..._children.html
I don't quite understand this behavior of the snake. I thought they only killed in order to eat. And why wasn't one kid awakened by the death struggle of the other one, and therefore able to escape? Can one of those fuckers kill 2 kids at once?

Quote:
“I thought they were sleeping until I seen the hole in the ceiling. Everything had fallen, and I turned the lights on and I seen this horrific scene.”
I think we may have our answer as to why the goddam snake escaped....

Old August 6th, 2013 #135
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
I don't quite understand this behavior of the snake. I thought they only killed in order to eat. And why wasn't one kid awakened by the death struggle of the other one, and therefore able to escape? Can one of those fuckers kill 2 kids at once?

I think we may have our answer as to why the goddam snake escaped....
Good questions. And maybe I got the downstairs upstairs mixed up.

Possible the snake was interrupted. I know if a snake comes across, say, a nest of newborn mice, pinkies, it will usually eat them all.

Old August 6th, 2013 #136
Angel Ramsey
Banned

One of my earliest memories was of my grand mama throwing a log onto a snake. I've been wary ever since. I just cut their heads off with a hoe.

Old August 6th, 2013 #137
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
One of my earliest memories was of my grand mama throwing a log onto a snake. I've been wary ever since. I just cut their heads off with a hoe.
My grandparents killed snakes on sight, but that's an old country attitude, born of no quick access to doctors and widespread rattlesnakes. Today snakes are fewer and appreciated. At least by me. Snakes eat insects and mice, if one wants to get all utilitarian about it; more significantly they are beautiful and quiet - something we can all aspire to.

Old August 6th, 2013 #138
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
My grandparents killed snakes on sight, but that's an old country attitude, born of no quick access to doctors and widespread rattlesnakes. Today snakes are fewer and appreciated. At least by me. Snakes eat insects and mice, if one wants to get all utilitarian about it; more significantly they are beautiful and quiet - something we can all aspire to.
Message recieved.

Old August 7th, 2013 #139
snowglobe

Default Here is my question....

How did the screams of the attack of the first child not cause the second child to scream out...and run...and seek help before this second child was killed.

I can make no sense out of this.

Old August 7th, 2013 #140
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowglobe View Post
How did the screams of the attack of the first child not cause the second child to scream out...and run...and seek help before this second child was killed.

I can make no sense out of this.
If you'd ever had even a small constrictor around your neck you wouldn't ask that. It is astonishing how much power even a 3-4' comparatively thin ratsnake can exert; and that's single-A ball next to a full-grown African python.

Tags
snakes

Thread