VNN Broadcasts

Old February 14th, 2014 #1
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Lightbulb Drive at Your Own Pace

Drive at Your Own Pace
by eric • February 10, 2014 • 21 Comments
http://ericpetersautos.com/2014/02/10/drive-pace/

On the main road that bisects my rural county, I typically lope along at 75 or so. This, to me – for me – is a reasonable speed. It’s within my comfort zone. Not so fast that I feel I’m pushing my limits as a driver – or the limits of the car. I state this as a mature adult who has taken several high-performance driving courses, drives professionally to earn my living (test driving/evaluating new cars) and who – most relevantly – has not had an accident in decades of driving. One of two things must be true: Either I am very lucky – or I am a responsible, careful driver.driving lead

The speed limit, however, is 55.

This means I am usually driving much faster than is legally permissible. In fact, in my state (Virginia) it is technically “reckless driving” to exceed any posted limit by more than 20 MPH. That means 76 in a 55 – even if 55 is palpably ridiculous, almost universally ignored – and doing 76 is not much faster than the normal flow of traffic on that road.

A fundamental problem – technically, not ethically – with speed limits is they are one-size-fits-all, the “size” typically being a half-blind, borderline senile, fearful/timid and poorly skilled driver – for whom that speed might indeed be the limit – the fastest they probably ought to be driving (if they ought to be driving at all).

But what if that’s not you?

What if you can safely – based on objective criteria – operate at a faster clip?Why is it wrong for you to do so? And why should you be punished for doing so?short bus pic

Consider other life situations. We don’t (yet) put the smart kids on the short bus. Insist that the expert skier take the bunny hop course. Are sprinters forced to limit their pace to that of the slowest runner? When you are out walking in public, do you expect others to walk no faster than you’re walking?

These, of course, are not exact parallels, but the fundamental point does apply. People are individuals – and individuals vary in almost every conceivable way, including their skill behind the wheel. Some are much better – and some much worse – than others. This is as self-evident as the fact that some people are better athletes than others, can tackle advanced math more adeptly than some can deal with basic arithmetic. And so on, throughout and across the spectrum of human life.

Speed limits – to be generous for the sake of this discussion, let us assume they are not set over-low deliberately, for purposes of mulcting motorists – are typically set on the assumption that everyone is worse. No, it’s more than merely that. Speed limits require every driver to drive at the level of the worst drivers. Those who refuse to get on the short bus – so to speak – are punished for not following the rules.

Not because they are bad (or dangerous) drivers.

As a result, there is a gross (and growing) disconnect between “crime” and “punishment.” Meaning, people who know they’ve done no wrong, who were in full control of their vehicle, are nonetheless punished – with ever-increasing severity. See, for instance, Virginia’s “reckless driving” statute, which imposes four figure fines and the possibility of jail time merely for driving in excess of 20 MPH faster than any posted limit. This is a fundamental injustice – and bad social policy besides. One of the main reasons otherwise straight-and-narrow citizens are becoming ever-more-contemptuous of police is that they view them as thieves acting under color of law. The roadside prattle about “safety” and “do you know how fast you were going” is insufferable cant. It’s a shakedown, legalized robbery – nothing more.Va cop pic

This tends to piss people off.

The system would work a whole let better if it permitted what ought to be SOP in an allegedly free society – the exercise of judgment and the individual assumption of responsibility for the consequences. Why not, in other words, let drivers gauge the “right” speed for themselves? Some will drive faster than others are comfortable with – just as others will drive more slowly than others are comfortable with. But neither is a safety issue – as such (provided each type of driver is courteous and neither crowds slower-moving drivers nor attempts to box in faster-moving drivers).faster:slower pic If a driver causes an accident, hold him accountable – irrespective of the speed he happened to be driving at the time. It’s not the speed that’s relevant – it’s that an accident happened.

A free society needs – no, requires – people who are not biological automata. Who are capable of evaluating a situation and taking appropriate action on their own initiative. Without being punished for doing so. For transgressing some arbitrary rule.

The immediate objection – in some quarters – will be that absent one-size-fits-all, without arbitrary rules, people would just run amok. Drive 100 MPH through subdivisions, half-empty fifth of Jack Daniels in one hand, cell phone in the other – steering by knee. It’s ridiculous – unless you take the position that most or even many people are reckless (actually reckless), even sociopathic. As unconcerned about their own lives as they are about the lives of others. It’s ludicrous.

The fact is, most people do behave. Act reasonably, with consideration for others. Without need of laws to tell them to – and not because they fear being punished. With regard to driving, most people want to arrive alive – and drive accordingly. Like me, they drive within their limits, within their comfort zone. Just like most people who own guns handle them responsibly, do not shoot up schools, do not shoot themselves.obey pic It’s the people who can’t control themselves who have this mania to control others – who assume the worst about others because they know, in their hearts, the truth about themselves.

These people are the problem.

Me? I’m getting tired of being held accountable for what other people do. Being punished, not because I’ve caused anyone any harm but merely because I chose not to get on the short bus, grin like an imbecile and accept being treated like an imbecile because some people are imbeciles.

Aren’t you getting tired of it, too?

Throw it in the Woods?

PS: If you like what you’ve found here, please consider supporting EPautos.com. We depend on you, the readers, to keep the lights on and the wheels spinning.

The link to our “donate” button is here. You can also use snail mail – if you prefer to avoid PayPal. The address is:

EPAutos
721 Hummingbird Lane, SE
Copper Hill, VA 24079
http://ericpetersautos.com/

Old February 14th, 2014 #2
keifer

If I drive faster, for the convenience of the person tailgating, then I am the one who gets the ticket, ...so fuck you.

Old February 14th, 2014 #3
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
If I drive faster, for the convenience of the person tailgating, then I am the one who gets the ticket, ...so fuck you.
obviously you didn't read the headline: drive at your own pace not that of some tailgater.
I've found a quick brake check will usually discourage those types.

(fuck me? come now, was that really necessary?)

Old February 14th, 2014 #4
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
obviously you didn't read the headline: drive at your own pace not that of some tailgater.
I've found a quick brake check will usually discourage those types.

(fuck me? come now, was that really necessary?)
I wasn't saying that to you Mike, it was a general statement to pushy drivers.

Old February 14th, 2014 #5
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

we're cool.

Old February 14th, 2014 #6
robert burns

We need these slower speeds because your average driver is an idiot and should really not be on the road. I have driven on public roads since I was 12 yo and have never had an accident. That's 40 damn years! I know people in their 30's that have wrecked at least 5-10 vehicles.

And for people thinking if I was ever stopped while driving under age. Hell yes but in those days the cops would just chew our ass and tell us to go home.

Old February 14th, 2014 #7
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

I don't let myself get upset by the actions of other vehicles. I view them as natural obstacles to avoid or overtake. challenges thrown at me in the game of drive.

Old February 14th, 2014 #8
littlefieldjohn

One fun thing about all the late -winter chuckholes on a highway comes when you learn the skill of "steering" a tailgater directly into them while maneuvering your tire along the outer edges.

Old February 15th, 2014 #9
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefieldjohn View Post
One fun thing about all the late -winter chuckholes on a highway comes when you learn the skill of "steering" a tailgater directly into them while maneuvering your tire along the outer edges.
Bond. James Bond.

Old February 15th, 2014 #10
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
I don't let myself get upset by the actions of other vehicles. I view them as natural obstacles to avoid or overtake. challenges thrown at me in the game of drive.
Spring is coming, Mike. Top down, sunscreen on, 550hp of grabber blue envy.

Soon....soon....

Old February 15th, 2014 #11
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Spring is coming, Mike. Top down, sunscreen on, 550hp of grabber blue envy.

Soon....soon....
Is my memory correct,...you have a GOAT.?

Old February 15th, 2014 #14
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Is my memory correct,...you have a GOAT.?
Yeah, among a few other Muscle Cars I picked up as investments. I'm downsizing, though. Two of them are going up for sale at the Indy Mecum auction in May. Those are trailer queens for car shows, and I'm making a cross-country move this year. I'm keeping the GTO, though. I daily drive a Shelby GT500 'vert. Weather permitting, of course. I know you don't like ragtops.

Is there anything better than chewing asphalt at speed down some deserted county road on a perfect summer afternoon blasting Roadhouse Blues and smelling coconut from the lotion on yoga-taut legs of the laughing, speed-appreciative hot chick in the passenger seat? I think not.

Like Mike said, driving is a sport. People that aren't "car people", they just don't understand.

Old February 15th, 2014 #15
keifer

I was a NYC taxi driver, that's my resume for sport driving and flat out punishing a vehicle.
My old man builds street rods. Actually he is one of the best in the country, but those are his bragging rites not mine.

Old February 15th, 2014 #16
keifer

Is it true that rag tops are manufactured heavier to compensate for the loss of weight from the lack of hard top?

Old February 15th, 2014 #17
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
I was a NYC taxi driver, that's my resume for sport driving and flat out punishing a vehicle.
Damn. I got nothing to compare with that. You must have nerves of steel.

Old February 15th, 2014 #18
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Is it true that rag tops are manufactured heavier to compensate for the loss of weight from the lack of hard top?
I don't know. I know people will tell you that a convertible has more body-flex, but I don't drive that hard where it would make a difference performance-wise.

Old February 15th, 2014 #19
keifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Damn. I got nothing to compare with that. You must have nerves of steel.
It was a lot of what a cop deals with. You just never knew who was getting in the car next, you just never knew what had just transpired in their life 5 minutes prior to getting in the car. The unnerving part was who ever was in the car was sitting behind the driver. This is a precarious and vulnerable situation. A persons driving habits are a definitive to their decision making process. There is a trade off where the driver is vulnerable to actions from behind their back, but the driver has a great deal of levity by being in control of the vehicle in which case can be a form of communication to unruly passengers. After driving six nights a week at twelve hour shifts, I was on a thirty day cycle between fist fights.

Old February 15th, 2014 #20
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
It was a lot of what a cop deals with. You just never knew who was getting in the car next, you just never knew what had just transpired in their life 5 minutes prior to getting in the car. The unnerving part was who ever was in the car was sitting behind the driver. This is a precarious and vulnerable situation. A persons driving habits are a definitive to their decision making process. There is a trade off where the driver is vulnerable to actions from behind their back, but the driver has a great deal of levity by being in control of the vehicle in which case can be a form of communication to unruly passengers. After driving six nights a week at twelve hour shifts, I was on a thirty day cycle between fist fights.
If I wore hats, it would be off to you. I'd rather tar roads every day Cool Hand Luke-style to make a living.

Tags
driving

Thread