Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 18th, 2017 #1
alex revision

Default End of the smashed phone screen? Self-healing glass discovered by accident

End of the smashed phone screen? Self-healing glass discovered by accident

New type of polymer glass that can mend itself when pressed together is in development by University of Tokyo after a student discovered it

Japanese researchers say they have developed a new type of glass that can heal itself from cracks and breaks.

Glass made from a low weight polymer called “polyether-thioureas” can heal breaks when pressed together by hand without the need for high heat to melt the material.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...rsity-of-tokyo

Old December 18th, 2017 #2
Ray Allan

I hate those phones so much I want to smash them.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old December 26th, 2017 #3
Ian Zonja

automatically healing glass is will help me for sure

Old December 29th, 2017 #4
Jeffrey Smither

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Why do you say that? I own the Note 8 which with sales tax cost close to $1,000. That is after I bought the s8 Plus back in April for $850.

I will buy the Note 9 next august.

Old December 29th, 2017 #5
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smither View Post
Why do you say that? I own the Note 8 which with sales tax cost close to $1,000. That is after I bought the s8 Plus back in April for $850.

Whoa! $1850 for two phones? I didn't know they cost that much. Quite a lot to pay for the planned obsolescence the manufacturers engineer into those things.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old December 29th, 2017 #6
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post

Quote:

Can't speak for Ray, but the 'sail foam'--while useful for certain things, even life and death for me when stuck in a 'white out' and five minutes later would've been hit by a snow plow--has become a brain altering, distracting device.

And of course way too expensive for a phone, due to all the kitschy addictive things they can do. My I-Phone was less than $200 and that's the most I've ever paid for a phone. When it goes obsolete I'll just get another reasonably good phone in that same range or lower.

We've created a culture where our employers can have us on a string, they can call day or night and anywhere you are, and that limits privacy. Used to be that people only checked for phone messages a few times a day. When they were out in the world, they were in the present moment.

Now they is phone zombies. Even I, to a degree, am guilty of phone zombie-ism.

Changes in levels of neurotransmitters (in adolescents especially) is really interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3432415/

When they get off phones altogether their brains return to normal, but prior, the same areas light up as you see in a drug addict on MRIs.

It took a while to start observing these changes in people, as opposed to when the technology was new. Takes time for a whole society to change, the same way as an individual changes over time.

Both are observable, but not perhaps to a super young person in their early teens who has lived their whole lives with this technology. They don't remember the 'before'.

Old January 3rd, 2018 #7
Crowe

Quote:

Damn, and people called me a tech fag for spending $1400 on PC parts. The thing is, I only do that once every 5 years, with 1 upgrade in between.

Old January 3rd, 2018 #8
Jeffrey Smither

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
Damn, and people called me a tech fag for spending $1400 on PC parts. The thing is, I only do that once every 5 years, with 1 upgrade in between.
LOL a tech fag. I never heard of that term before. Some of the nerds on XDA and Android forums buy like 4 different phones each year.

I don't know how they can afford it.

Thread