VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 14th, 2012 #81
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
If hear the name 'Cody,' for example, I think I a pretty good read on what I'm dealing with, even knowing nothing else about him.
When I hear of a young girl named 'Candy' I usually think that a career path in pole dancing is in her trajectory.

Kinda like 'Jeeves', you ever hear of one who wasn't a gentleman's gentlemen?

When I hear 'Cody' I figger his daddy liked westerns. Fuck it, so do I.

'Cody' in the feminine*, think 'Candy' w/ a lap dance throw'd in.

*or 'Codi'. even better.

Last edited by MikeTodd; July 14th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

Old July 14th, 2012 #82
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Those are Scotch-Irish / white-trash names that sound like they come out of a special-needs Western.
Only a few of them are; many are of Anglo-Saxon or Germanic origin:

Gage - a name of Old French origin, meaning "pledge, oath"

Ryker - a Dutch form of the Germanic name Richard, composed of the elements "ric" meaning power and "hard" meaning hardy or brave.

McCoy - an Irish surname meaning "son of Aodh", Aodh means "fire" in Gaelic.

Grady - From the Irish Gaelic name Grádaigh, meaning "nobel"

Buckshot - ammunition fired from shotguns used to kill deer.

Cale - a variant form of the English name Charles, meaning "bold"

Brecken - from the Old English word Bracken, meaning "ferns"

Bridger - from the English occupational name meaning "builder of bridges."

Keegan - from the Irish name Egan, originating from the Gaelic name Aodh, meaning "fire"

Rawson - an Anglo-Norman surname meaning "son of Ralph"

Crawfin -

Rayen - variant form of Rain

Cooper - from the English occupational name Cooper meaning "barrel maker"

Westley - variant form of Wesley, an English place name meaning "western meadow"

Kai - variant form of Kay, from the Latin Gaius, meaning "gay, happy, rejoicing."

Corbin - Possibly a short form of the rare given name Corbinian, or a transferred use of the surname, in origin a nickname meaning "crow" in Anglo-Norman.

Raymin - variant form of Raymond, borrowed into English from French Reimund and Raimund. It originated as the Germanic Raginmund or Reginmund. "Ragin" (Old German) and "regin" (Gothic) meant "counsel." The Old High German "mund" originally meant "hand,"

Jace - variant form of Jason, a Greek name meaning "healer"

Landon - an English place name meaning "long hill"

Tyree - variant form of Tyree, a place-name of Scottish Gaelic origin derived from Tìr Iodh, meaning 'land of the corn"

Coty - variant form of Cody, a name of Irish Gaelic origin, meaning "helper". Transferred use of the Irish surname Ó Cuidighthigh that was originally a byname for a helpful person, or of Mac Óda, a personal name of uncertain origin. Use as a given name has been influenced by Buffalo Bill Cody, the showman of the Wild West.

Zeke - dimunitive form of Ezekiel, Hebrew name meaning "strength of God"

Zake - dimunitive form of Zechariah, Hebrew name meaning "God has remembered"

Henzley - variant form of Hensley, an English place-name from Devon: Hensley in East Worlington, which is named with the Old English personal name Hēahmund + Old English lēah ‘(woodland) clearing’, or Hensleigh in Tiverton, which is named from Old English hengest ‘stallion’ (or the Old English personal name Hengest) + lēah.

Teagan - a modern name coined from Welsh 'teg' (beautiful, fair, lovely).

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; July 14th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Old July 14th, 2012 #83
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Cajun culture has a unusual naming system for girls. Cajun girls will often have the exact same name as their mother and grandmother and great-grandmother -- just like a Jr. and Sr. and III you commonly see with father and son. Except they don't put Jr. or Sr. or III at the end. Instead, the daughter will go by the middle name and the mother goes by the first name or, alternatively, the daughter will go by the 'nickname' version of the first name. Then, the first grandaughter modfies a different part of the name.

For instance:

Grandmother / Mom / Daughter will have the same exact full name: Annabelle Elizabeth Broussard

Grandmother goes by Annabelle ; Mom goes by Ann or Elizabeth; Daughter goes by Annie or Lizzy.

Old July 14th, 2012 #84
Rick Ronsavelle

Default dave fitzall sez

If we're all equal, then we're all clones and should have the same name.

"Uncle Sam" should fit all.

Old July 14th, 2012 #85
Alex Linder
Administrator

carlin on theme

agree with him on dylan, tyler, tucker

dylan is unspeakably faggy

tyler and tucker - christ. would you hire someone named 'tyler' or 'tucker' to do ANYTHING that mattered?

tucker? are you fucking kidding me. probably be some fag that grows up to wear a bowtie.

'tyler'? that's like being verbally gelded.

Old July 14th, 2012 #86
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Cajun culture has a unusual naming system for girls. Cajun girls will often have the exact same name as their mother and grandmother and great-grandmother -- just like a Jr. and Sr. and III you commonly see with father and son. Except they don't put Jr. or Sr. or III at the end. Instead, the daughter will go by the middle name and the mother goes by the first name or, alternatively, the daughter will go by the 'nickname' version of the first name. Then, the first grandaughter modfies a different part of the name.

For instance:

Grandmother / Mom / Daughter will have the same exact full name: Annabelle Elizabeth Broussard

Grandmother goes by Annabelle ; Mom goes by Ann or Elizabeth; Daughter goes by Annie or Lizzy.
they do something similar with men, or they call the old one "big" lizard-getter and the younger one petit (petty) lizard-getter. french for little. something like that. christ, i probably saw that on the cajun alligator show.

Old July 14th, 2012 #87
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:

tyler and tucker - christ. would you hire someone named 'tyler' or 'tucker' to do ANYTHING that mattered?

tucker? are you fucking kidding me. probably be some fag that grows up to wear a bowtie.

Old July 14th, 2012 #88
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
It's not haughty, it's merely ridiculous. I would love to know what brought that name into vogue, almost surely it was some actress on a soap or something. Then you have your 'Addison' and then 1001 misspelled-variations on these ridiculous names. This is purely low- or even sometimes middle-class people thinking they're giving their kids an upper-class name.
A couple of years ago I learned that a late female cousin of mine I hadn't seen since childhood stuck her little girl with - wait for it, now - MADISON ALEXUS...... Actually I'm almost sure the mother had Asperger's or worse (she used to rock back & forth constantly as a toddler).

Quote:
I personally think Otto Linder sounds great. Simple, ethnic, solid as hell. Same with Heidi.
How 'bout Adolf? Adolf Linder. Yep. That's the ticket.

Quote:
I'm a least a little unconventional, I think, and I'm telling you people who respect my opinion, that names are not where you want to try to differentiate yourself from others. Names are something you follow convention. Same with wedding vows. Watch those cable shows where people write their own vows. God, they sound dumb. The audience of course is too tasteless to figure it out, since they're the same kind of people, but it really is bad.
"I, Jayden Macaulay, take you, Kayla Chloe, as Life Partner. I vow to love 'n' honor you; to respect your dignity, to cherish your dreams 'n' visions as if they were my own, and to give you the space to make them come true....."

Quote:
She was probably eating the placenta when she thought of it, and in her Mexican way was like, this is really sweet, so I'll name her after it so she'll be sweet too. Ate it like a cat.

The theory that mexicans are human is laughed at by scientists in private.
What's with the 'shits and their continued use of names Whites left behind in the first half of the last century where they belong? Oscar, Edgar, etc. ?

Old July 14th, 2012 #89
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
How 'bout Adolf? Adolf Linder. Yep. That's the ticket.
My maternal grandfather's name was Dolphus. He was named after one of his father's brothers, whose name appears as "Adolphus" on the census.

My grandfather's uncle, who he was named for, was a policeman at a small mining camp called Red Star, Alabama, which has long since disappeared. He was shot and killed by a nigger gunman who was attempting to flee a robbery.

Back then everyone carried guns (early 1900's) and the men in the camp formed a circle around the nigger and they all let him have it. No trial, no judge, no jury; just simple justice, fair and square.

Old July 15th, 2012 #90
Jimmy McQuade
Hrvatski Prijatelj

Kurt Vonnegut in a 1973 Playboy interview:

Quote:
Playboy: Kilgore Trout is the fictitious science-fiction writer you've used in some of your novels.

Vonnegut, Jr.: That's true. And he's writing a story now about a time when our Government understands that it isn't taking care of the people because it's too clumsy and slow. It wants to help people, but it can't get anywhere in time. So the President happens to visit Nigeria, where extended families have been the style since the beginning of time. He is impressed, and properly so. Huge families take care of their own sick and old, of any relative in trouble. They do it right away and at no cost to the government. So the President of the United States comes home and he announces that the trouble with the country is that nobody has enough relatives within shouting distance. Nobody can just yell for help. Everybody has to fill out forms. So the President is going to have the computers of the Social Security Administration assign everybody thousands of relatives.

Playboy: At random?

Vonnegut, Jr.: Higgledy-piggledy. You have to throw out whatever middle name you have and substitute whatever name the computers give you--names of Greek gods, colors, chemical elements, flowers, animals. The story begins with a political refugee coming to America, and he not only has to swear allegiance to the country and all that, he also has to accept a new middle name from the computers. They give him the middle name Daffodil. His name becomes Laszlo Daffodil Blintz. He has 20,000 relatives all over the country with the same Government Issue middle name. He gets a Daffodil family directory, a subscription to the Daffodil family's monthly interviews. There would be lots of ads in there for jobs, things to buy, things to sell.

Playboy: Wouldn't his GI relatives take advantage of him?

Vonnegut, Jr.: If they asked for too much, he could tell them to go screw, just the way he would a blood relative. And there would be ads and articles in the family monthly about crooks or deadbeats in the family. The joy of it would be that nobody would feel alone and anybody who needed seven dollars until next Tuesday or a baby sitter for an hour or a trip to the hospital could get it. Whenever I'm alone in a motel in a big city, I look up Vonneguts and Liebers in the telephone book, and there never are any. Lieber was my mother's maiden name. But if I were a Daffodil or a Chipmunk or a Chromium, there would be plenty of numbers to call.

Playboy: What if they didn't want to hear from you?

Vonnegut, Jr.: That's a fairly standard experience with relatives. It's also fairly standard for relatives to be glad to hear from you, to help if they can.

Playboy: They wouldn't be compelled by law to give you what you wanted?

Vonnegut, Jr.: Hell, no. It would be like regular relatives, only there would be slews of them. If some guy came ringing my doorbell and he said, "Hey, you're a Chipmunk and I'm a Chipmunk; I need a hundred dollars," I would listen to his story, if I felt like it, and give him what I could spare, what I thought he deserved. It could be zero. And it wouldn't turn the country into a sappy, mawkish society, either. There would be more people telling each other to go screw than there are right now. A panhandler could come up to you and say, "Hey, buddy, can you help a fella out?" And you could ask him his middle name, and he might say, "Chromium," and you could say, "Screw you. I'm a Chipmunk. Go ask a Chromium for help."

Eventually, of course, the Chromiums would start thinking they were just a little bit better than the Daffodils and "I don't know what it is about those Chipmunks," and so on, but there would also be people of all backgrounds meeting as relatives. "Are you an Emerald? Shit, I'm an Emerald, too! Where are you from?" I know that as far as Vonneguts go, I've got some claim on those people. I got a postcard on my 50th birthday signed by a lot of people named Vonnegut--a Catholic branch around Oakland, California. I don't know how they found out it was my birthday, but I got this marvelous card and I'd never met them.

One time a few years ago, I was speaking at the University of Hawaii and somebody came up to me and said, "Who's Fred Vonnegut?" I said I didn't know and he told me that Fred Vonnegut's name was in the newspaper all the time. So I picked up a Honolulu paper and in it there was this big used-car ad with a picture of Fred and a headline like "Come In And Ask Fred Vonnegut For A Good Deal." So I looked him up and we had supper together. Turned out that he grew up in Samoa and his mother was a Finn. But the meeting, the connection, was exciting to both of us.
Vonnegut later used that middle name thing in his book Slapstick.

Old July 16th, 2012 #91
Swede
morsning korsning

Quote:
George Carlin - Guys Named Todd (Goofy Boy Names) - Censored - YouTube

carlin on theme

agree with him on dylan, tyler, tucker

'tyler'? that's like being verbally gelded.
George Carlin was a jew.

And this thread really shows your true colors Alex.

Old July 16th, 2012 #92
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
George Carlin was a jew.

And this thread really shows your true colors Alex.
A Jew? I thought he was Irish....Carlin?

Old July 16th, 2012 #93
M.N. Dalvez

My name is spelled slightly differently from the norm, but there's a rational
Quote:
Kinda like 'Jeeves', you ever hear of one who wasn't a gentleman's gentlemen?
I've heard people using 'Jeeves' as an abbreviation/nickname for 'Giovanni'. But actually naming your son 'Jeeves' should properly be grounds for the kid to be re-named and taken into care.

Quote:
That's just the bad influence of the poetry of Dylan Thomas. There is nothing wrong with Dylan; it's a solid Celt name.

Quote:
Back then everyone carried guns (early 1900's) and the men in the camp formed a circle around the nigger and they all let him have it. No trial, no judge, no jury; just simple justice, fair and square.
Come on. Even one of your relatives cannot have been stupid enough as to participate in a circular firing squad - that's "Irish joke" material.

Old July 16th, 2012 #94
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
A Jew? I thought he was Irish....Carlin?
He was Irish.

Old July 16th, 2012 #95
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillian View Post
He was Irish.
Yeah, and he was on to the Jews as well. Carlin tells it like it is in this video, and its obvious he is talking about the Jews, even though he couldn't get away with mentioning them by name:

Old July 16th, 2012 #96
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Carlin's a puzzle to me. I'm sure he wasn't really one of us, but on most issues, particularly toward the end of his career he hit the button right on, and better than anyone else, and I mean anyone else. I'd not be exaggerating to say that he was the most intelligent political commentator on planet Earth, at least for a while.

And, I know some forum idiot always comes up with, "Carlin, or hell anyone, was a jew." Why does that always happen? Well! it could be because VNNF has some of the dumbest forum members on Earth. No! Carlin wasn't a jew. Irish Catholic.

Mike

Old July 16th, 2012 #97
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
No! Carlin wasn't a jew. Irish Catholic.
To anyone who even knew of Carlin if only in passing I'd have thought that would be a given.
His entire vibe and demeanor fairly shouted urban/Irish-Catholic. His facial features said 'mick' the same way Don Rickles' said 'jew'.
What next, Rabbi Denis Leary?

Old July 16th, 2012 #98
Breanna
Eternal Glory

The 9 Manliest Names
(they are all real people)

#9. Lance Armstrong
#8. Powers Boothe
#7. Max Planck
#6. Commander Flex Plexico
#5. Dr. Duncan Steel
#4. Stirling Mortlock
#3. Magnus Ver Magnusson
#2. Dick Pound
#1. Staff Sgt. Max Fightmaster

From: http://www.cracked.com/article_14982...-in-world.html

Old July 16th, 2012 #99
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breanna View Post
The 9 Manliest Names

#9. Lance Armstrong
#8. Powers Boothe
#7. Max Planck
#5. Dr. Duncan Steel
#4. Stirling Mortlock
#3. Magnus Ver Magnusson
#2. Dick Pound

They missed Dr. Rev Red Conrad.

Old July 16th, 2012 #100
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breanna View Post
The 9 Manliest Names

#9. Lance Armstrong
#8. Powers Boothe
#7. Max Planck
#5. Dr. Duncan Steel
#4. Stirling Mortlock
#3. Magnus Ver Magnusson
#2. Dick Pound

Sort of reminds me of some of the names used in Jew director Stanley Kubrick's film Dr. Strangelove:

Lionel Mandrake
Merkin Muffley
Dr. Strangelove
Buck Turgidson
Jack D. Ripper
T. J. Kong
Alexei de Sadeski.
Lothar Zogg
Ace Owens

Tags
#1, babies, baby, names

Thread