VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29th, 2012 #11
Bev
drinking tea

Default Re: Worst Case of Insanity in History.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
When Steele wrote those steamy love letters from his jail cell to Tatyana, he was crazy. He should have known that they could be shown to the jury. He was an experienced trial lawyer who had visited clients in jail and knew that their letters were subject to copying. Anyone who thinks that he was sane to write those letters is crazier than he was. It is clear from reading the letters that they were written by someone who was crazy.

The issue is not whether he was unfaithful to his wife. I don't care about that. The issue is him doing things that were crazy. Trying to blow his wife up with a pipe bomb could have been a rational act. Writing steamy love letters to his Ukrainian girl friend from his jail cell cannot be. That is the definition of insanity. I'm sure that the jury didn't need to see anything else. That was the smoking gun on his motive. I fault the jury for failing to return a non-guilty by insanity verdict. However, they were not given that option.

Alan Banks, the veterinarian and Steele's wife admitted the he was delusional after he got home from the hospital. This type of insanity is localized and may not be apparent to those who don't know what to look for. The government doesn't want him to be declared insane because they want to portray him as a cold blooded killer. His wife doesn't want that either because she wants to keep the money rolling in from his supporters.
I thought he claimed the letters were some sort of plan to expose a dating site or mail order bride scam? In any case, even if it was his bit on the side, I doubt he was the first person to be indiscreet in his communication with her and I doubt he'll be the last.

Post-op confusion is common, especially when the op is for a life changing event and even more so when it is emergency surgery and the patient doesn't have time to mentally prepare for it. It's whether the confusion continued that is the issue and it doesn't seem to have done.

Tags
edgar steele

Thread