Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 20th, 2007 #1
SSanguine

Default #1 Recipes Thread: What's for dinner? Post your Recipe and pics here!

My Spin on:

Shepherd's Pie

1lb ground beef cooked with minced garlic

1 can of green beans
1 can tomato soup
Fresh mushrooms
Carrots Chopped Up
Half White Onion Chopped up

Potatoes
Cheese
Sour Cream
Milk

salt and pepper

Cook the Hamburger skillet and set aside. Put your carrots, onions, and mushrooms in the skillet with a tab of butter until carrots are somewhat soft but still crunchy, add green beans and hamburger back, then add the can of tomato soup. Stir and season to your liking... Then put into a casserole dish..

All the while have a pot of cut up potatoes boiling and when they are cooked through, mash em up and add a bit of milk, sour cream, and cheese.

Put the mashed taters on top of the hamburger mixture and bake at 350 for 20-30 min. until juice starts to bubble up on sides of dish..

Easy, tasty dish, and it heats up well for leftovers!

I add Hot Wing Sauce(Hooter's) on the side for those who like to kick it up a notch...

Old November 20th, 2007 #2
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

ok, ok, let me get my camera out, I will take a shot of my left overs :P

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old November 20th, 2007 #3
Rex E. Cuto
This Is Executor

Nice fingers.

You have to become a terrible thought... you have to become an idea.

Old November 20th, 2007 #4
SSanguine

Slow Cooker
POT ROAST

One Rump Roast
One can of Campbell's French Onion Soup
2 Cups of water
Carrots
Mushrooms
Half of One White Onion
Garlic
Small Red (New) Potatoes
Salt and Pepper/Spices

Put it all in your slow cooker.. I start with liquids first then mushrooms and onions, then I put the roast in, carrots and potatoes on top... Cook On high for 6 hours (depending on your slow cooker) Or on low all day while you're at work ........

Great for a Sunday Night Meal!

Fall is here and so will be winter.. Go buy some fresh flowers, cut and arrange them for a lovely and inviting centerpiece on your diningroom table!

Last edited by SSanguine; November 20th, 2007 at 01:17 AM.

Old November 20th, 2007 #5
SSanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. Cuto View Post
Nice fingers.
Yeah didn't show the pic when I accidentally chopped them off .. lol j/k

Old November 20th, 2007 #6
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Roast Beef

I used a 4.5lb rib eye roast (on sale)

about 6 drops sesame seed oil on each side. Massage it in, dont forget the ends.

about a pinch of Mediterranean sea salt (course) on each side, massage that in, dont forget the ends

Liberal amount of fresh cracked pepper. Pretty course.

Cooked at 325 for about 3.5 hrs (until about 130-140 in the center)

Remove meat, set in a different dish, cover with foil to keep warm. it will continue cooking the center

Cut about 2-2.5 lbs of good potatoes into bite size peices (do this before taking meat out)

About 1 medium size onion (sweet) into 1/8ths
Shallots work good too.

1lb baby carrots

4 or 5 cloves garlic rough chopped

1 sprig fresh rosemary, cut into small enough pieces to distribute, large enough to remove later.

deglaze the dish you cooked the meat in with good beer, whiskey or wine. Do not add more than a few teaspoons as you will make your veggies soggy.

If you wish to make gravy from scratch (is there any other way) reserve some of the drippings before deglazing. You can also ask your butcher for a little extra fat with the roast for extra drippings.

Add potatoes, garlic, onion and rosemary, 2 pinches or so of salt, some pepper of desired. Add carrots.

bake at 425 for 20-25.

use this time to prep anything else, salad, set table clean up, etc..

dont cut meat until just before you are ready to serve or it will dry out and/or cool off.

Cooking is a hobby for me, I love good food and I have found doing it myself is a great way to get it.

I dont measure, unless I'm baking so everything is adjustable to taste.

Pic was taken just now of my leftovers, always looks better when fresh so forgive me.

Last edited by TwistedCross; November 20th, 2007 at 01:34 AM.

Old November 20th, 2007 #7
SSanguine

YUM! That roast looks super super yummy!! I think I want some .. Funny we both had roast beef for dinna!!! Keep on takin pics and handing out the recipes... How much did you get the roast for on sale? Mine was $10

Old November 20th, 2007 #8
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

About 3.25lb I think. It was a good deal. Its the same cut that rib eye steaks are from, this is really just one big rib eye steak not cut up yet. I got the smallest one they had as it was a last minute idea. You can see how much is left over.

I like fattier cuts of meat for roasts. Fat is flavor.

As to posting recipes, I can do it all day long, but I cook by feel, each onion or clove of garlic is different.

I go from simple chicken sandwiches to homemade ravioli or beef wellington. Whatever feels right, time permitting.

Old November 20th, 2007 #9
SSanguine

I do the same .. it doesn't matter... Post them up when you make em.. People will understand or they won't. I would like to have the extra ideas if you've got any more good ones to share

Old November 20th, 2007 #10
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Hell, give me an idea... what kind of food? Italian? Mexicoon? asian? Simple, fast?

OK, an idea came to me. Pork Chops

Good bone in pork lion chops 1/2-1 inch thick
apple sauce
apple juice
dry white wine
garlic
shallot
fresh rosemary
at least 6 hrs to soak

rough chop up an entire bulb of garlic and 2 shallots
mix about 1/4 cup applesauce and 3/4 ish cup apple juice in a pyrex large enough to hold 4 chops, add some salt/pepper to the mix and a pinch of chopped rosemary dump iall the liquid in the pyrex

add about 3/4 of the chopped garlic and shallots, place the chops on those so they stay off the bottom.

add wine till about 1/2 chop is covered stir it all up

add rosemary on top of the chop (I use a small sprig so I can take it off before cooking, usually bruising for flavor release)

add more pepper and remaining shallots and garlic to the chop and a light spread of applesauce over it all.

cover and fridge for at least 6hrs, if you go to long the meat soaks up all that apple and rosemary flavor not leaving enough meat flavor.

Grill those SOBs and enjoy.

Old November 20th, 2007 #11
varg

Default whats for dinner?

Old November 20th, 2007 #12
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Varg, I dont think I want to know what that is.

Old November 20th, 2007 #13
SSanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
I've seen that picture before ---

Get fancy mj, and add a couple pieces of white sandwich bread lol

Old November 20th, 2007 #14
SSanguine

I could have swore that I made the Subject to this thread very easy to understand for everyone. Food recipes and pics of FOOD. Cook something take a pic of it, I don't care care if it's a plate with a squirt of mustard of kethup (in varg's case).

Not being rude, if you wanna post Maggie's ribs pics, go right on ahead, but if you're interested in promoting Missouri and the STL Arch with those ginormous pictures, put them in your own thread, eh? I'm interested in getting some recipes and sharing some here, hopefully do too.

Old November 21st, 2007 #15
T.Garrett
Banned

Wink mmm, ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSanguine View Post
I could have swore that I made the Subject to this thread very easy to understand for everyone. Food recipes and pics of FOOD. Cook something take a pic of it, I don't care care if it's a plate with a squirt of mustard of kethup (in varg's case).

Not being rude, if you wanna post Maggie's ribs pics, go right on ahead, but if you're interested in promoting Missouri and the STL Arch with those ginormous pictures, put them in your own thread, eh? I'm interested in getting some recipes and sharing some here, hopefully do too.
OK SSangine, I deleted my post and ...hopefully it's allright with Richard, I wouldn't want him to empty a magazine into me hahaha ...Richard H's response in your thread.

Missouri is a nice place, especially the central part near Jeff City and Columbia. Actually, I'm very interested in the wineries and the varietals grown out there in the limestoney soil. As for STL, aside from the generic cookiecutter 'burbs west of St Louis along I70 the area is chockfull of the same shiftyazz nigger I left behind on the East Coast, and now surprisingly ...mexicans. I leased a house in Lake Saint Louis for a year yesterday to live in when I'm in the area, I'm sick of hotels and such. You know the feeling ...

Next time I'm at Maggie O'Briens I'll take a pic of the Saint Louis style ribs and post it here for y'all. Well, its off to Chicago to see my sis' new twins and then Cali for Thanksgiving with some new friends ...I might post pics of this Left Coast T-day feast here too if you dont mind ...

Out with the old, in with the new hahaha!

Cheers

Old November 21st, 2007 #16
Richard H.
Banned

Default Killer Hamburgers

bought a brisket and had it ground into hamburger meat made 2 10ozpatties w/diced onions mixed in; some garlic;sea salt; ground black pepper; throw em on a small grill on my patio over mesquite wood; when done it yielded a huge 8oz pattie dripping juices; use large seseme seed buns w/ lettuce/tomato and a little relish; makes a burger that has to be held with 2 hands ;mmmm,mmmm good

Old November 24th, 2007 #17
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

I finished off the huge amount of left over roast beef tonight. Here is how I did it...

Sliced into thin strips, I dropped it into a hot pan with a little butter. Added some pepper and onions. The onions turned out great after grilling in the small amount of butter and meat juice.

On a toasted onion bun I layered the meat, some great Greek Feta cheese, grilled onions and topped it off with more meat to hold it all in.

The feta was an afterthought, as I had some laying around but I was really shocked that it tasted as good as it did with the beef and onions. Then again, I was very hungry.

Old November 24th, 2007 #18
Holly
Self Bannned

No chitlen recipes ahahaaa .. What is a chitlen anyways ?

Old November 24th, 2007 #19
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
No chitlen recipes ahahaaa .. What is a chitlen anyways ?
MMM pig intestine.

Chitterlings (chitterlins) are eaten more frequently in the southern United States. Each year at Dunbarton, Louisiana the famous Chitlin' Cookin' is held in late February or early March. In Mount Airy, North Carolina (famously known as Mayberry) there is an annual chitterling festival. The chitterlings are cooked in several different ways. Also, Yatesville, Georgia holds the annual "Chitlin' Hoedown" each year. "Chitlins" are eaten with more frequency in African American culture, and the South, perhaps due to their heritage as soul food.

Other cultures have small intestine recipes, for example as part of the Latin American (and especially Argentinian) mixed grill dish parrillada, they are known as chinchulines and are generally from a calf, though occasionally lamb or kid. The bundled and braided small intestine is called a choto in Uruguay.

Think it is sick?? Ever have a sausage with "natural casing"? That would also be intestine.

I know I wont eat that chittlin crap.

Old November 25th, 2007 #20
Holly
Self Bannned

Oh yes very sick no intestine thank you. Bratwurst is Ok it smells good cooking, I used to eat Eisbein when I was a child it is a pork dish, probably the most unusual thing I have eaten, we still have it every so often , which also smells very good cooking as it is slow cooked w onions and garlic.
I like to cook I would say my best dish is lasagna.

Tags
#1, cooking, food, recipe

Thread